Valentine's Day plans vary for sports personalities

dirty

EOG Master
Agendas range from home-cooked meals to Van Halen concert

By JEFF D'ALESSIO
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 02/14/08 With the big day finally here, we asked a few sports personalities what they plan to do for their special someones in their life. Their Valentine's Day itineraries:
<!--endtext--><!--endclickprintinclude--><table align="left" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="175"><tbody><tr><td><table bgcolor="#cccccc" border="0" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="0" width="170"><tbody><tr><td><table bgcolor="#ffffff" border="0" cellpadding="9" cellspacing="0" width="168"><tbody><tr><td class="body">MORE VALENTINE'S COVERAGE
? Your Valentine photos ? Gallery 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ? Send pix
? Dining: Tables for two | ? Make reservations | ? Recipes
? Red velvet love: Bake your sweetie a cake | Winning recipe | More
? Romance: How to get her in the mood ? Say it with movie ? Offbeat heart tuggers
? Interactive: Join the Valentine's Vent | ? Mike Luckovich's take | ? Make or buy cards?
</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table><!--startclickprintinclude--><!--begintext--> ANDY LANDERS
Georgia women's basketball coach
"Beat Florida."
CHRISTINE GLAVINE
Wife of Braves pitcher Tom Glavine
"We'll start the day in normal fashion -- bring the kids to school, stop at Starbucks, arrive home and let the romance begin. I'll slip into something more comfortable -- another sexy pair of sweatpants and favorite T -- and skip the salon. No time; we have to pack for the next six weeks of spring training. Hmmm, which hair clip will it be today?
"I'll drop the doggies off and board a jet with the love of my life. Destination: exotic Orlando. Did I mention all the kids will be in tow?
"We'll have a candle-lit dinner at a wing shack of our choice on the way to the rental where we'll spend the next two months of out lives.
"We'll end the night with me serenading Tom to his favorite Boston tune -- on Rock Band Playstation 3. Tom will be on the drums, [sons] Peyton and Mason on guitar.
"And I won't let an hour go by without telling Tom how much I love him."
ARTHUR BLANK
Falcons owner
"I'm going to buy [wife Stephanie] a cat and make dinner for the family."
SUZANNE YOCULAN
Georgia gymnastics coach
"My honey, Don Leebern, will get a home-cooked meal -- chicken piccata, spinach souffle, wild rice with asparagus and salad. For me, that is a big deal as I have practice all day and we leave for Auburn late Thursday. I also have five cards for him as I have been picking them up as I travel for almost a month now."
GREG SMITH
Georgia Tech wide receiver
"Every day is Valentine's Day for my girlfriend."
JOHN ROCKER
Former Braves pitcher
"Alicia Marie and I will be at a spa for a couples' massage, going to a live jazz club and spending the night at a posh hotel -- champagne, strawberries in the room -- where a personal chef is going to come and prepare dinner. Piece of Cake in Buckhead is making a special Valentine's Day cake for after dinner."
DANICA PATRICK
IndyCar driver
"I am in NYC for a sponsor photo shoot, so [husband] Paul [Hospenthal] and I will be going to dinner here for Valentine's Day."
KURT BUSCH
NASCAR driver
"I gave Eva a card last night and will have flowers delivered this afternoon. We have dinner reservations for tonight at the Chart House. I try to make it as romantic as possible."
DOC RIVERS
Boston Celtics coach
"I've learned, after 22 years of marriage, it's not the gift that counts; it's the thought you put into it. A love letter means more then anything I can buy. How lucky am I that my wife is a romantic."
BOBBY BRAGAN
Former Atlanta Braves manager
"I am taking my sweetheart [wife Betty] to dinner at Steak 'n Shake, and will have some valentine chocolates to surprise her with afterwards."
BUCK BELUE
Former Georgia Bulldogs quarterback
"I've got to step it up, being that it's also our daughter Audrey's 4th birthday. I'm going with old reliable: red roses, chocolate and diamond jewelry -- and with three little ones, allow her to sleep in a little."
AMY VAN DYKEN
Olympic swimming great
"We are going to play golf and go to a nice dinner."
DAN RADAKOVICH
Georgia Tech athletics director
"My sweetheart Marcie and I have decided to help our hearts this Valentine's Day and buy a new elliptical trainer for our workout room."
STAN VAN GUNDY
Orlando Magic coach
"I'm taking my wife to the Van Halen concert."
CHRIS HATCHER
Georgia Southern football coach
"Since my anniversary was Wednesday, we went out for a nice dinner [last night]. It takes care of both occasions and you do not have to worry about getting dinner reservations on Valentine's Day, which as we all know can be very difficult."
JAMES LAURINAITIS
Ohio State's Butkus Award-winning linebacker
"Right now my sweethearts are my mom and my little sister, so I will give them a call back in Minnesota and tell them I love them."
BILL CURRY
Former Georgia Tech football coach
"What I plan to do for my sweetheart on Valentine's Day is ask her why her book club, which meets tonight, just read 'Frankenstein' -- no kidding -- and whether that has anything to do with her choice of valentine."

Valentine's Day plans vary for sports personalities | ajc.com

Re: Valentine's Day plans vary for sports personalities

I'm sure Charles Barkley will be spending the night gambling somehow during tonight's TNT broadcast.