Help! My E-mail Has Fallen On The Floor And Can't Get Up

The computer was behaving badly. I did a PC recovery the other night and now it is blazing.

Only trouble is, to get back into E-mail, they want my Windows' 25-character alpha-numeric "certificate of authenticity" code.

No problem. It's on a sticker on the side of the computer.

I type it in, and they say it's not recognized.

I need help. What would life be without my threatening emails everyday?

Re: Help! My E-mail Has Fallen On The Floor And Can't Get Up

Real pickle you've got yourself in here huh?

Usually that message pops up when you reinstall Windows on a different computer, I've only experienced it once myself, but your PC might be reacting differently for some reason. Did you enter in the code exactly as written? It may be case sensitive.

dirty

EOG Master

Start in safe Mode to see if you can get in that way... if so then all should be fine when you reboot... if not you will have to call India to talk to MS Support and get them to reset the Code. You can only install one copy of windows one time and then you have to call and get them to reset.

<small>Windows XP</small>
<small>If Windows XP is the only operating system installed on your computer, booting into Safe Mode with these instructions.</small>
  • <small>If the computer is running, shut down Windows, and then turn off the power</small>
  • <small>Wait 30 seconds, and then turn the computer on. </small>
  • <small>Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.</small>
  • <small>Ensure that the Safe mode option is selected. </small>
  • <small>Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in Safe mode.</small>
  • <small>When you are finished with all troubleshooting, close all programs and restart the computer as you normally would.</small>

dirty

EOG Master

did you get this going Jeff

did you get this going Jeff

Nope, and I'm in no hurry to get it fixed now. After a week, I'm starting to believe that the quality of life is better not having email. Before it crashed, I wouuld have never said that.

But it's true.

The people who are important to me...we all communicate by telephone.

dirty

EOG Master

Nope, and I'm in no hurry to get it fixed now. After a week, I'm starting to believe that the quality of life is better not having email. Before it crashed, I wouuld have never said that.

But it's true.

Cool... Just seeing if I could try to help anymore..:cheers:cheers:cheers

You could do a system restore to get back to where you previously were. Then maybe just dont do a total overhaul. Maybe defragment and disc cleanup, and get rid of the useless startup programs you dont use often. If you need help let me know. I am no guru but I do know some basic things.

I'm still unsure of why these issues keep surfacing as you're trying to check email. :+clueless

What kind of email platform are you using, web based or a client like AOL that you log into and is its own program? I ask because, I'm not sure why all these authenticity codes and the like are hounding you when you check your email online but not when you browse the forums.

dirty

EOG Master

This is when we Miss our Friend cFosWins..... tragic he died and was a great poster

I did the PC recovery, added memory, and now the computer is en fuego. I loves my computer.

In order for me to have email, Windows, beyond the recovery, wants some 25 character alpha-numeric code that I type in and they don't recognize.

I think they are doing me a favor.

dirty

EOG Master

you should not have to enter that Number at all once your system is up and running

The Prophet

EOG Dedicated

But it's true.

FWIW:

IN 2007, OVER 170 BILLION EMAIL MESSAGES WERE SENT...PER DAY! THAT'S ALMOST 2-MILLION PER SECOND...70% OF THEM WERE SPAM AND VIRUSES. :+paranoid

SOURCE: HISTORY CHANNEL, '90S TECH EPISODE OF MODERN MARVELS (CURRENT RECOMMENDED VIEWING)

Jeff are you trying to push one of those odd multi function buttons on your keyboard or something like that? If you're for instance going to mail.yahoo.com, or mail.msn.com through Explorer or Firefox I can't understand why it'd prevent you.

dirty

EOG Master

Jeff are you trying to push one of those odd multi function buttons on your keyboard or something like that? If you're for instance going to mail.yahoo.com, or mail.msn.com through Explorer or Firefox I can't understand why it'd prevent you.

I agree... Unless it is spyware.. that shit can put you thru hell

The Prophet

EOG Dedicated

AND FROM THE FILES OF “I BET YOU DIDN’T KNOW THIS…”

SINCE TIVO IS A SUBSCRIPTION SERVICE, THE COMPANY IS ABLE TO ANONYMOUSLY GATHER ITS USERS’ VIEWING HABITS.

THE MOST REWOUND TIVO MOMENT IN HISTORY WAS JANET JACKSON’S “WARDROBE MALFUNCTION” DURING THE SUPER BOWL HALFTIME SHOW IN 2004.

‘90S TECH…

Blondie

EOG Master

FWIW:

IN 2007, OVER 170 BILLION EMAIL MESSAGES WERE SENT...PER DAY! THAT'S ALMOST 2-MILLION PER SECOND...70% OF THEM WERE SPAM AND VIRUSES. :+paranoid

SOURCE: HISTORY CHANNEL, '90S TECH EPISODE OF MODERN MARVELS (CURRENT RECOMMENDED VIEWING)

Don't find this percentage very shocking, actually would have thought it to be higher.....