What sports-related death hit you the hardest personally???

Black Bart

EOG Addicted
Re: What sports-related death hit you the hardest personally???

Don't ask me why, but I would say Tom Mees of ESPN. Even my wife was a little puzzled until she realized who he was. She said, "we've had dinner with that guy every night for years."

I remember exactly where I was when I heard Thurman Munson died. First big death of my sports fandom. I get chills thinking about the tribute during that next Yankee game--a moment of silence with nobody in the catcher's box that slowly went from a slow clap that turned into a rousing ovation. Would love to see if that is on YouTube.

I certainly understand how a sports-related death can affect a fan, but my wife's cousin's husband is carrying this thing a little too far. He's a big Redskins fan and he cancelled out of a big family reunion just before the holidays because he was still torn up over Sean Taylor's death. Didn't make it to any family Christmas events either. Sheesh.

Rxx

EOG Veteran

Roberto Clemente- was my favorite baseball player and was 10 when he died. it didnt seem that it could possible happen.

pretty sure that's Aryton Senna

That's right J it's Ayrton Senna.....I can still see that crash as if it happened yesterday in my head.....was living in Europe at that time and that hit hard

Another shocker was the defensive guy that was a terror for offenses...he played for the KC CHiefs and died in an car crash I believe.....can't remember his name right now though

dude was a monster and in the prime of his carreer

Rxx

EOG Veteran

BR- that was Derrick Thomas. That also reminds me of another KC Chief, Joe Delaney, who died heroically trying to save some kids who were drowning- and he subsequently drowned as well.

Slappy ... I agree, Payne Stewart was difficult for me. Followed him during his US Open playoff with Scott Simpson.

Also, Kirby Puckett. Second youngest hall of fame player to die.

waco

EOG Dedicated

Roberta Clemente. Here is a guy who found out that the supplies he sent out of the country to help people never got there. So this time he got on the overloaded plane to make sure the supplies got to the right people and the plane never made it. So sad, because he helped so many people out and kept it to himself.

OSU basketball plane crash:

Kendall Durfey
Bjorn Fahlstrom
Nate Fleming
Will Hancock
Daniel Lawson
Brian Luinstra
Denver Mills
Pat Noyes
Bill Teegins
Jared Weiberg

I was still in school at the time.

The loss of Vernon Grant in a car accident, and Darrent Williams were felt pretty hard as well.

Similar tragedy here in Evansville Short Bus, back in '77. We lost our entire basketball team in a plane crash

I was only 3 at the time, so I don't remember it, but have read up about it and they have a big memorial and rememberance on the anniversary

If I was older back then, would have had a bigger affect on me obviously

IGAMBLER

EOG Addicted

Georgia Frontiere Rosenblum. I heard today that she gone.

Moshe Weinberg, Yossef Ramono, Ze'ev Friedman, David Berger, Yakov Springer, Eliezer Halfin, Yassef Gutfreund, Kehat Shorr, Mark Slavin, Andre Spitzer, Amitzur Shapira

The Devil

EOG Master

DIDN'T HIT ME HARD.......BUT I REMEMBER A DRIVER BY THE NAME OF FIREBALL ROBERTS CRASHING AND DYING.......

NOT SURE IF I SAW IT LIVE ON TV OR CLIPS AFTERWARDS, BUT REMEMBER IT VIVIDLY................

Journeyman

EOG Master

That's right J it's Ayrton Senna.....I can still see that crash as if it happened yesterday in my head.....was living in Europe at that time and that hit hard

Another shocker was the defensive guy that was a terror for offenses...he played for the KC CHiefs and died in an car crash I believe.....can't remember his name right now though

dude was a monster and in the prime of his carreer

The Derrick Thomas death was a shocker for sure.

I believe he still has the record sack game (7) in one game.

Journeyman

EOG Master

Reggie White , seemed to be out of nowhere...wasn't it right around Christmas, believe 3 years ago.

August West

Rambler

Jerome Brown for me. He was one of my favorite players as a kid. RIP

shooterman

EOG Veteran

Tony Conigliaro. Great young hitter for the Red Sox who got beaned. People probably remember the nasty photo of his blown up eye. He did recover and made a somewhat sucessful comeback, but in the end died young. That one hurt a lot being a Red Sox fan.

kbhirsch

EOG Addicted

Hank Gathers hit me the hardest. I was in college at the time. Watched every game of Marymount's magical tourney run that year. Bo Kimble shooting FT's lefty in honor of Hank. Made it all the way to the Elite 8.

Bagiant

EOG Dedicated

I think the death of Mickey Mantle hurt me the most. He was my HERO for many years, and to see him die of liver disease really took a toll on my life! i REALLY LOVED THE MAN and the things he accomplished. He was the only ball player that I thought could hit a homer every time at bat!

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

Georgia tonight.

as someone who lives in so cal - her death gives everyone here a reason to CELEBRATE

hope this bitch enjoys looking UP at everyone the rest of her life

say hello to hitler, georgia - we in so cal all know you 2 are at the same place right now

MIKEH75

EOG Dedicated

the len bias death when i was 11 and the celtics were my favorite basketball team.that was the first time i didn't understand why a person died so young because i had no clue what drugs or cocaine was at the time.

chucky mullins was kind of close to home so that was really heartbreaking because he ended up paralyzed sort of like the daryl stingley thing when he was hit in a college football game.

dale earnhardt because(even though my dad was a lifelong nascar fan even to this day) i had just started watching nascar and loved chevy plus he had the outlaw take no shit vibe going on which i really enjoyed watching with him racing.then a few weeks later he died right after i'd just bought a bunch of his stuff so i sort of gave up on nascar although i do like tony stewart.

reggie white because when i was 10 years old in '85 i got a life size poster of him when i went to see him play pro ball in the USFL here playing for memphis.he was mine and my dads favorite player.we even followed his career when he went to philly and green bay.reggie was a very nice man.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Thurman Munson.

When he died i felt i lost a family member.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

Hank Gathers

not even close

He died March 4, 1990 (I know - that is Dad's B-day)

i was working in the KTLA-TV spors department that Sunday. Hank was an intern there and thus was "one of us"

the game was NOT televised but we had a crew there to tape the game and get us hilites. during the game our guy there calls to say "Hank is Down". i recall thinking how awful this was but he will be oK. maybe he won't play any more but he will be OK

then our guy calls back saying this isn't going so well and Hank is in trouble. the mood quickly changed in our department and the entire station. EVERYONE LOVED hank - how could you not - as great a guy as there is (was) and a friend to all. even the News people - who hate Sports people - loved Hank

well a few hours later we all know how this story ended. to show you how much live TV sucks - we got word around 8P-ish he was dead and we had a 10P show to do and in live TV - no such thing as a timeout. i was as depressed as could be - but the worst was yet to come

Ed Arnold was our sports guy - he and Hank were as tight as could be. Ed interviewed him the day before and they had a lot of fun doing it. Ed was in another room speaking to some college kids about the business. we had to go into the room - get Ed out - and let him know. when we told him the reax was what we thought it would be - he cried and cried and we had to hold him up. he was as distraught as i have ever seen him and i have known him about 25 years

however - we STILL had a show to do. we did it - how i have no clue - and it wasn't until afterwards in our meeting we all broke down

not even close - the hardest sports death ever for me - and one of the toughest deaths ever. tougher to take than my last 3 grandparents dying

DAMN Winky, that story gave me chills man. Have always read that Hank Gathers was just a great guy from many folks who knew him.

Always wonder what could have been, he had a great career ahead of him in the NBA

SAD

5 star bomb

EOG Master

im young and havent had a lot of sport related deaths happen in my time yet but Sean Taylor really hit home for me. I loved watching him play. He was my favorite player to watch on defense

you're an idiot, you know that?

I'm sure he doesn't know, but thanks for a useless post in a meaningful thread.

Dale Earnhardt as I live with 4 miles of the track and was at the race. Also Payne Stewart, he was one hell of a person.

oriolefan

EOG Member

Derrick Thomas of the Kansas City Chiefs. I was heartbroken when he died the way he did.

VegasRandy

EOG Veteran

Pelle Lindbergh was the best goalie in the world when he died at 26.

MIKEH75

EOG Dedicated

len bias.i was 11 years old at the time and my favorite team was the celtics and in '86 the day bias died was the first time i really heard about bad drugs.i still think that sent the celtics franchise into a tailspin that they never really recovered from.

edit-sorry didn't see my earlier reply in this thread.

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Probably Payne Stewert

He lived in Orlando, was great for the community, and although not that important in the big scheme of things, suffered a very strange death......

Plus, I am a big golfer. I know Payne rubbed some the wrong way, I grew to like him.
</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>