I'm kind of frustrated, like the American people.

Count me as one of the many that are not frustrated with how things are going. We finally exercised some initiative and wiped out the Islam radicals, and the economy has been solid since 2002. In addition, the Democrats want to get back in there and fuck things up and have not been able too. If the republicans can get their spendaholic ways under control, get the budget balanced we will be in good shape. Keep the Dumbocrats from raising taxes. Look for the troops to start returning home in 2009 as we enter a Germany/South Korea type of situation in Iraq. Still need the Iraqi people to take control of their political situation over there, but things are looking good indeed.

To all the Anti-American, Anti-Military Bush Haters I have one thing to say to you --- You have lost so Merry Fuckin' Christmas !!!!

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td>Senate Majority Leader Reid Weighs Partisan Divides, Security in Iraq

</td> <td rowspan="3" width="11"> </td></tr> <tr><td height="7"> </td></tr> <tr><td>Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., discusses how partisan differences have impacted the pace of recent legislative progress on Capitol Hill, the state of the Iraq war and the next steps for the Democratic-led Congress in an interview with Ray Suarez.</td></tr> <tr><td colspan="3" height="13"> </td></tr> </tbody></table><!-- END headline blurb table --> <!-- top main inner table --> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr><td colspan="5" class="E6E6E6" bgcolor="#e6e6e6"> </td></tr> <tr><td rowspan="7" class="EFEFEF" bgcolor="#efefef" valign="top" width="150">
</td> <td class="C4C4C4" rowspan="7" bgcolor="#c4c4c4" width="1"> </td> <td rowspan="2" width="1"> </td> <td class="E6E6E6" rowspan="7" bgcolor="#e6e6e6" width="1"> </td> <td class="F0F3F7" bgcolor="#f0f3f7">
</td></tr> <tr><td class="F0F3F7" bgcolor="#f0f3f7" height="31"><!-- multimedia --> </td></tr> <tr><td class="DDE4EE" bgcolor="#dde4ee" width="1"> </td> <td class="DDE4EE" bgcolor="#dde4ee">
</td></tr> <tr><td class="C4C4C4" bgcolor="#c4c4c4" width="1"> </td> <td class="C4C4C4" bgcolor="#c4c4c4"> </td></tr> <tr><td width="1"> </td> <td> </td></tr> <tr><td class="E6E6E6" bgcolor="#e6e6e6" width="1"> </td> <td class="E6E6E6" bgcolor="#e6e6e6"> </td></tr> <tr><td width="1"> </td> <td valign="top"><!-- text table 1 --> <table border="0" cellpadding="8" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr><td class="pad_l">JIM LEHRER: Now, our Newsmaker interview with Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, Democrat of Nevada. And to Ray Suarez.
RAY SUAREZ: Senator Reid, welcome to the program.
SEN. HARRY REID (D-NV), Senate Majority Leader: Thank you very much for allowing me to be on your show.
RAY SUAREZ: Well, at the beginning of this year, the Democrats returned to the majority after 12 years in the minority. You and Speaker Pelosi announced a very ambitious agenda. Now that one year has passed and you look back, how has it gone?
SEN. HARRY REID: Well, we've been able to accomplish quite a bit, but not very much, certainly not as much as I wanted to. I'm kind of frustrated, like the American people.
There are a lot of things that need to be done. We found a blockage on nearly everything we tried.
But in spite of that, in spite of the fact that in just a few short months, rather than two years, the Republicans blocked us 62 times. The record for two years was 61. So in just a few short months, they had more filibusters than in the history of the Congress before.
But in spite of that, we were able to get things done, with the most sweeping ethics and lobbying reform. We were able to get good things done as it relates to a balanced budget. We passed that.
We were able to get relief for 9/11. We got the commission recommendations there. We were able to just recently get some good energy legislation passed, but not enough. We still have so much more to do.
And what I've learned, I guess, during the past year is that we want to change and the Bush Republicans want to keep things the way they are. So we want to change things, and we're going to work very hard next year to see if we can get the Republicans to join with us more often than last year, and not have as many things blocked, and try to do some more things.
</td></tr> </tbody></table><!-- END text table 1 --> </td></tr> </tbody></table><!-- END top main inner table --> <!-- bottom main inner table --> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="EFEFEF" bgcolor="#efefef" width="150"> <!-- photo table 1 --> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="149"> <tbody><tr><td colspan="7" class="A0A0A0" bgcolor="#a0a0a0" height="1"> </td></tr> <tr><td rowspan="6" class="A0A0A0" bgcolor="#a0a0a0" width="1"> </td> <td colspan="5" class="white" bgcolor="#ffffff" height="1"> </td> <td rowspan="6" class="A0A0A0" bgcolor="#a0a0a0" width="1"> </td></tr> <tr><td rowspan="4" class="white" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="1"> </td> <td colspan="3" class="ABBCCF" bgcolor="#abbccf" height="1"> </td> <td rowspan="4" class="white" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="1"> </td></tr> <tr><td rowspan="2" class="ABBCCF" bgcolor="#abbccf" width="1"> </td> <td height="1"> </td> <td rowspan="2" class="ABBCCF" bgcolor="#abbccf" width="1"> </td></tr> <tr><td class="F7F7F7" bgcolor="#f7f7f7"> <!-- quote table 1 --> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="143"> <tbody><tr><td colspan="3" height="9"> </td></tr> <tr><td rowspan="3" width="9"> </td> <td class="F7F7F7" bgcolor="#f7f7f7" width="124">Senator Harry Reid
D - Nev.</td> <td rowspan="3" width="10"> </td></tr> <tr><td height="17"> </td></tr> <tr><td> If I were one of those people in one of those polls that said "What do you think of Congress?" I would vote with the people who said we're not doing very well. </td></tr> <tr><td colspan="3" height="9"> </td></tr> </tbody></table><!-- END quote table 1 --></td></tr> <tr><td colspan="3" class="ABBCCF" bgcolor="#abbccf" height="1"> </td></tr> <tr><td colspan="5" class="white" bgcolor="#ffffff" height="1"> </td></tr> <tr><td colspan="7" class="A0A0A0" bgcolor="#a0a0a0" height="1"> </td></tr> </tbody></table><!-- END photo table 1 --></td> <td rowspan="6" class="C4C4C4" bgcolor="#c4c4c4" width="1"> </td> <td rowspan="4" width="1"> </td> <td rowspan="4" class="E6E6E6" bgcolor="#e6e6e6" width="1"> </td> <td><!-- text table 2 --> <table border="0" cellpadding="8" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr><td class="pad_l">Public angered at lack of progress

RAY SUAREZ: Well, earlier this week, the Senate minority leader, Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, was on the program. And he said, when asked the same question, "Regretfully, we've spent most of the year having repetitious Iraq votes and investigations of the administration. It seems like all that happened was the approval rating of Congress kept getting lower and lower."SEN. HARRY REID: Well, Ray, if I were one of those people in one of those polls that said "What do you think of Congress?" I would vote with the people who said we're not doing very well.
I think we have so much more to do. And as far as Iraq, we had a responsibility. The people of this country recognize that the war in Iraq was the worst foreign policy blunder in the history of this country. And we've done everything we can to support the troops.
It was us, the Democrats, who realized that parents shouldn't be buying armor and sending it to Iraq for their sons and daughters, so we pushed, and we got body armor.
We're the ones that pushed for up-armoring the Humvees and other vehicles. We are the ones that put in the budget we just passed $3.7 billion more for veterans.
So the soldiers have done valiantly. But we recognize that spending $12 billion a week -- I'm sorry, a month, is what we are spending in Iraq, which is all borrowed money, is too much. And it's destabilized that whole part of the world, in addition to lessened our standing in the world community.
And we need to bring our troops home. I had a long planned trip to go to Walter Reed today. I didn't know I was going to be on this show. And I went there today for lunch and met with staff and some of the soldiers who are wounded and some who weren't wounded.
And without exception, when I said, "You know, we're doing everything we can to help you, appreciate your service, but I want to get the troops home." And without exception, they said, "Get them home as fast as you can."
</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>

mr merlin

EOG Master
Re: I'm kind of frustrated, like the American people.

Reid is a very evil and sick man, its incredible that the dems are foolish enough to put him in that position.

scrimmage

What you contemplate you imitate

Count me as one of the many that are not frustrated with how things are going. We finally exercised some initiative and wiped out the Islam radicals, and the economy has been solid since 2002. In addition, the Democrats want to get back in there and fuck things up and have not been able too. If the republicans can get their spendaholic ways under control, get the budget balanced we will be in good shape. Keep the Dumbocrats from raising taxes. Look for the troops to start returning home in 2009 as we enter a Germany/South Korea type of situation in Iraq. Still need the Iraqi people to take control of their political situation over there, but things are looking good indeed.

To all the Anti-American, Anti-Military Bush Haters I have one thing to say to you --- You have lost so Merry Fuckin' Christmas !!!
This is an example of how a Bushbot sees the world but in reality:

1.The US hasn't wiped out Islamic radicals instead reaching a shaky accomadation through monetary and other incentives with certain tribal leaders in Iraq with the military largerly confined to a few large bases.
In Afghanistan the warlords have control of most of the country while the US supported government's influence doesn't extend far beyong the capital Kabul.Record opium production has returned but the US probably doesn't mind that as the $$$$ finds it's way back to and through western banks[BTW this was 1 of the reasons to go into Afghanistan since the Taliban had eradicated this lucrative trade].
2.The economy since 2002 has been as solid as a sand castle.Most of the growth came throught he Fed and it's easy money policy which drove consumer spending,that obvioulsy is over with and the bubble is bursting.

3.With the US empire stretching across more than 700+ bases overseas,some troops might come home from time to time,but just as many will be on the next plane to somewhere.The cost of this imperial stretch is 1 reason that:

4.The budget deficits will extend far into the future.The yearly budget is like the tip of an iceberg anyway there's much we don't see/know about[lots of off-budget items and ious that will come due].

This is not a game to win or lose it's about being concerned citizens and not accepting what,and how the current admisitration has run things.

"None are more hopelessly enslaved then those who falsely believe they are free"
-Goethe<!-- END headline blurb table --><!-- top main inner table --><!-- END top main inner table --><!-- bottom main inner table -->

But life is so much simpler when you don't have to think about such complicated things, and can let Rush and Faux News do the "hard" thinking and tell you what to believe. . . .

3.With the US empire stretching across more than 700+ bases overseas,some troops might come home from time to time,but just as many will be on the next plane to somewhere.The cost of this imperial stretch is 1 reason that:

You may wish to revisit your thoughts on this after giving yourself an honest assessment of events that have gone on in Germany and South Korea after the United States liberated them.

Then again, I suspect you are just another Bush hater that wants the USA to lose and protests openly against our military on the streets of San Francisco.

Good Luck to you.

scrimmage

You may wish to revisit your thoughts on this after giving yourself an honest assessment of events that have gone on in Germany and South Korea after the United States liberated them.

Then again, I suspect you are just another Bush hater that wants the USA to lose and protests openly against our military on the streets of San Francisco.

Good Luck to you.

Nicolos,
60+ and 50+ years after Germany/South Korea were liberated US bases and troops are still there.Both countries were allowed to flourish for geo-political reasons as they are important players on the global chess board.Countries that are not in the club get exploited for their resources and labor to sustain the ultimately unsustainable US lifestyle[5% of the worlds population using 25% of the worlds energy won't last,especially with new competitors emerging].
How do we know when the USA wins?Do the citizens get more of everything material[and less intangibles like freedoms/rights as the tradeoff],is that the indicator?
Bush is just a guy keeping the seat warm no reason to hate someone for that,who really wields the power and makes the long range decisions,that's what worries me[go to you tube search "New World Order"].
Military on the ground don't make policy,they're just playing their part on the world stage as do citizens who choose to protest their displeasure with the regime.

Nicolos,
60+ and 50+ years after Germany/South Korea were liberated US bases and troops are still there.Both countries were allowed to flourish for geo-political reasons as they are important players on the global chess board.Countries that are not in the club get exploited for their resources and labor to sustain the ultimately unsustainable US lifestyle[5% of the worlds population using 25% of the worlds energy won't last,especially with new competitors emerging].
How do we know when the USA wins?Do the citizens get more of everything material[and less intangibles like freedoms/rights as the tradeoff],is that the indicator?
Bush is just a guy keeping the seat warm no reason to hate someone for that,who really wields the power and makes the long range decisions,that's what worries me[go to you tube search "New World Order"].
Military on the ground don't make policy,they're just playing their part on the world stage as do citizens who choose to protest their displeasure with the regime.

Strange how you didn't mention anything about Hitler/WWII or Osama/9/11, but I guess guys like you don't consider this an issue when trying to justify your reasonsoning for all of these events.

scrimmage

Strange how you didn't mention anything about Hitler/WWII or Osama/9/11, but I guess guys like you don't consider this an issue when trying to justify your reasonsoning for all of these events.
In the words of the old paleo-con figurehead Ronald Reagan[the 1 time "acting"president]:
Well "there you go again"...

The old fallback card when all else fails play the Osama/9/11 card,that'll stop most protest/debate right in it's tracks.

You mean the old, sickly Arab dude that the most powerful country on the Earth cannot seem to locate for the last six years? The one person who we "know" has planned and perpetrated fatal attacks on Americans? I thought one of the main purposes of our government was to protect Americans and American interests. Wouldn't it behoove us to apprehend Osama rather than invade, occupy and rebuild some random Arab country that had absolutely nothing to do with planning or perpetrating attacks on Americans?

mr merlin

EOG Master

It would be preferable to get bin laden, lacking that I will be content with invading and occupying random arab countries for the time being.

In the words of the old paleo-con figurehead Ronald Reagan[the 1 time "acting"president]:
Well "there you go again"...

The old fallback card when all else fails play the Osama/9/11 card,that'll stop most protest/debate right in it's tracks.

Next time, I suggest you move to France and then when the German Tanks roll into Paris I can yell from across the pond "Take that fuckin' country over and let them speak German as soon as possible". The United States will have nothing to do with it -- will not come to your help -- and will risk the Hiltler's of the world to continue to move into other countries or continue to bomb Giant buildings again in New York City.

You are right "There you go again" more applies to all you weaklings on the left that want to do absolutely nothing when we are attacked or when our allies are attacked.

Sadaam being gone is a very good thing -- He no longer attacks our airplanes -- invades our friends country -- indescriminately lauches missiles into Israel, threatens to take over Saudi Arabia -- poisons his own people -- but his is no threat to us. blah blah blah blah.

As for Osama -- he is either dead or living in a shit hole cave somewhere and is no longer a threat to me or my family.

VIVA BUSH !!!!!!

Oh yes. The world is a much better place since we broke Iraq. Everything is just peachy-keen; why, they were just saying so on Faux News!! And Rush says so too!!

That wise man, President Bush, he cares about me and my fellow Americans so much (praise Jesus), He has made us all safer in such a terrifying world!!

Last edited:

scrimmage

Next time, I suggest you move to France and then when the German Tanks roll into Paris I can yell from across the pond "Take that fuckin' country over and let them speak German as soon as possible". The United States will have nothing to do with it -- will not come to your help -- and will risk the Hiltler's of the world to continue to move into other countries or continue to bomb Giant buildings again in New York City.

You are right "There you go again" more applies to all you weaklings on the left that want to do absolutely nothing when we are attacked or when our allies are attacked.

Sadaam being gone is a very good thing -- He no longer attacks our airplanes -- invades our friends country -- indescriminately lauches missiles into Israel, threatens to take over Saudi Arabia -- poisons his own people -- but his is no threat to us. blah blah blah blah.

As for Osama -- he is either dead or living in a shit hole cave somewhere and is no longer a threat to me or my family.

VIVA BUSH !!!!!!
Nicolas,
Osama was never a threat to you or your family unless western intelligence agencies wanted him to be.The CIA were the ones that set him up and backed him vs the Soviets in the 80's,they set up Islamic schools in Pakistan to recruit jihadists and they and other agencies[Mossad,MI6,Pakistan's ISI]have been controlling much of that movement ever since.If an attack happens it's by design and to achieve an objective.
After the government instigated 9/11 attacks there was across the board agreement to attack Afghanistan and capture the supposed mastermind Osama,then that was put aside in order to go with neo-con Planfor the New Amercan Century,the real objective.
What friends countries did Saddam invade?Iran maybe a war in which the US supplied weapons to both sides.He put down a Kurdish rebellion with chemical weapons obtained from the US and Europe,and with their tacit approval.Threats are made all the time,something demonstrated by the Bush administration which see enemies everywhereThe reason Saddam had to go was because he wanted to stop accepting US dollars for oil.
The US or any other power is interested in "liberating"others only if there's something in it for them,this applies even to WWII.

Osama was never a threat to you or your family

:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO

There's a genius !!!! -- Tell that to the families of the 3000+ that were killed in cold blood on 9/11. You really can't be serious.

scrimmage

Nicolas,
Of course you resort to taking my statement out of context and not even quoting the whole 1st sentence of the paragraph in which I stated:

"Osama was never a threat to you or your family,unless western intelligence agencies want him to be"...

Did history stand still on 9/11/2001?What has happened since then?Has enough payback been meted out,if not when will the accounts be squared?

BTW,who was actually responsible for the tragic deaths of civilians on 9/11[and what really -and how it-happened ] is still a very much open question,and a large movement for truth has been assembled to try and find the answers.For more on that check out "911 truth"...

nicolos you certainly like to over-simplify things.

if you did even 10 seconds of research against big nasty hitler, you could find that 1) your hero prescott bush helped finance his army
2) ibm ran the numbering system for auschwitz

so if we hated the germans/hitler so much why were we in bed with them?
and wouldn't ibm and prescott bush be on your "hated list" more than someone working for peace? lies aren't truth no matter how you spin it.

i guess since we have accomplished everything since 9/11 (finding bin laden, securing our defenses by firing all the incompetent government workers that let planes fly around for hours, etc...) then we have no reason to continue in iraq and afghanistan?

ynot

EOG Dedicated

oh wait that's right we're "liberating" them by killing and torturing them.

WTF are you talking about?

Afghanistan has tripled the exports since we took over.

And junkies around the world are very ?happy?

Cordy

EOG Enthusiast

accomadation through monetary and other incentives with certain tribal leaders in Iraq

Exactly how much money will it take for you to sell out your religion? Mine is not for sale and many think the Islamo extremists will not trade their Duty to Allah for money. If they take over their Country, they will "have more (oil) money than God".

Cordy

EOG Enthusiast

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
<!-- start content --><TABLE class="infobox vcard" style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0.5em; PADDING-LEFT: 0.5em; FONT-SIZE: 90%; WIDTH: 23em; TEXT-ALIGN: left"><TBODY><TR><TD class=fn style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 140%; TEXT-ALIGN: center" colSpan=2>Prescott Sheldon Bush</TD></TR><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center" colSpan=2>

</TD></TR><TR><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 110%; TEXT-ALIGN: center" colSpan=2><HR>United States Senator
from Connecticut

</TD></TR><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BORDER-BOTTOM-STYLE: none" colSpan=2>In office
November 5, 1952?January 2, 1963
</TD></TR><TR><TH>Preceded by</TH><TD>William A. Purtell</TD></TR><TR><TH>Succeeded by</TH><TD>Abraham A. Ribicoff</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2><HR></TD></TR><TR><TH>Born</TH><TD>May 15, 1895(1895-05-15)
Columbus, Ohio
</TD></TR><TR><TH>Died</TH><TD>October 08, 1972 (aged 77)
New York City
</TD></TR><TR><TH>Nationality</TH><TD>American</TD></TR><TR><TH>Political party</TH><TD>Republican</TD></TR><TR><TH>Spouse</TH><TD>Dorothy Walker Bush</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Prescott Sheldon Bush (May 15, 1895 ? October 8, 1972) was a United States Senator from Connecticut and a Wall Street executive banker with Brown Brothers Harriman. He was the father of former U.S. President George H. W. Bush and the grandfather of current President George W. Bush.

M_Mike.
The Germans knew when to hit our ship convoys because the insurance companies pooled their money to cover such large and valuable cargoes. Old time German insurers were in the pool.

The Russians traded wheat to feed the armies that killed 22 million of them. Plenty of mistakes by both sides.

What people did after "The war to end all wars" and until WWII should not sway what we know to be right now.

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master

Nicolas,
Of course you resort to taking my statement out of context and not even quoting the whole 1st sentence of the paragraph in which I stated:

"Osama was never a threat to you or your family,unless western intelligence agencies want him to be"...

Did history stand still on 9/11/2001?What has happened since then?Has enough payback been meted out,if not when will the accounts be squared?

BTW,who was actually responsible for the tragic deaths of civilians on 9/11[and what really -and how it-happened ] is still a very much open question,and a large movement for truth has been assembled to try and find the answers.For more on that check out "911 truth"...
I am sorry Scrimmage.....you have too much intelligence and common sense for this forum! But, Welcome Anyway!:cheers :cheers :cheers

scrimmage

Exactly how much money will it take for you to sell out your religion? Mine is not for sale and many think the Islamo extremists will not trade their Duty to Allah for money. If they take over their Country, they will "have more (oil) money than God".

The Iraqi tribal leaders haven't sold out it's just a strategic move on their part to wait out the surge,the US will never buy loyalty with $$$ after all the killing and mayhem that's happened,people have long memories in that part of the world.
Most of the country has been ethnically cleansed,and is now divided into separate Shia,Sunni,and Kurdish areas,which have been allowed more local/native control.The US military is now largely confined to a few large bases,and is in a policing mode for now,and would respond to any flare-up of major insurrection.
How long this relative stability holds is a ?The insurgency could likely regroup,unless enough Iraqi's are let in on the action when/and if more oil starts flowing,then it might be practical for them to keep things calm for awhile.

scrimmage

I am sorry Scrimmage.....you have too much intelligence and common sense for this forum! But, Welcome Anyway!:cheers :cheers :cheers
Thanks for the welcome ZZ,it's good to hear someone's paying attention,and isn't brainwashed from too much MSM[mainstream media]exposure.
Cheers:cheers

mr merlin

EOG Master

It must really piss you guys off that we have the terrorists on the run in Iraq, especially when a few months ago you were all saying that we had lost.

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master

It must really piss you guys off that we have the terrorists on the run in Iraq, especially when a few months ago you were all saying that we had lost.
That's right Mr. Merlin, we've had them on the run for how many years now?:LMAO :LMAO :LMAO

P.S. How many terrorists have we created with our nation-building/cleansing ?

That's right; "victory" is "just around the corner" in Iraq. We invaded their country on pretext and lies; completely destroyed what semblance of order remained through our unmitigated incompetence; and began killing those who were understandably pissed off by the proceedings and our presence. Such a stirring victory reel that will make for our descendants. . . .
In the meantime, our actual enemies are free to laugh in safety from afar as Afghanistan goes to hell and our armed forces are strained almost beyond relief as they are used for a "nation building" mission for which they were inadequately prepared. . . . .

What kind of odds can I get that we will be hearing "victory is just around the corner in Iraq" in 2009?

Last edited:

mr merlin

EOG Master

That's right Mr. Merlin, we've had them on the run for how many years now?:LMAO :LMAO :LMAO

P.S. How many terrorists have we created with our nation-building/cleansing ?
WE havent created any, people may choose to do whatever they want , whenever they want. It fills my heart with joy in this holiday season that WE(the usa) have plenty of money and plenty of marines.

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master

WE havent created any, people may choose to do whatever they want , whenever they want. It fills my heart with joy in this holiday season that WE(the usa) have plenty of money and plenty of marines.
War always creates new enemies............Always! How many US Soldiers have died for nothing in Iraq? Very sad, especially at Christmas!

mr merlin

EOG Master

How many americans are now enemies of arabs and muslims in general after their bloodthirsty attacks? how many? you always think we should be all worried and concerned about them - let them worry about us.

So, let me get this straight; it's okay to pour American treasure down a hole, and sacrifice our best and brightest--all so "they" will worry about "us?" What the fuck kind of foreign policy is that? Just for your information, "that's no way to run a railroad"--or a country. I'm glad your vote won't matter this time. . . .

mr merlin

EOG Master

Too bad you're not running the country huh? Too bad for you that George Bush is huh? Too bad for you that the democratic congress wont to anything either huh? Too bad for you that all your bitching and whining means nothing.

Yes, the conduct of the current regime is definitely something to be proud of, isn't it. Don't worry about anything; Rush and Faux News have pronounced that "all is good"--it must be so. . . . .:+waving-5

What kind of odds can I get that we will be hearing "victory is just around the corner in Iraq" in 2009?

that bet is in the 1/5-1/9 range

mr merlin

EOG Master

You know fellas, I dont know if we will "win" or not, but I want us to win. Its really sad that some people dont.

scrimmage

How many americans are now enemies of arabs and muslims in general after their bloodthirsty attacks? how many? you always think we should be all worried and concerned about them - let them worry about us.

mr merlin,

As the lengthy excerpts [edited for conciseness]from the posted article describe,the politicos in Washington sure aren't too concerned about the havoc US policies have caused in Iraq[a million dead,2 million refugees,40% unemployment,a collapsed economy,disease,malnutrition].
Whose bloodthirsty attacks are you refererring to ?Seems there's plenty of those on both sides of the conflict,violence begets violence.
The attitude of many Americans toward Arabs could be summed up in the saying "what is our oil doing under their sand".If that needed resource weren't there or when it eventually runs out the Middle East will be put on ignore.
Interesting that the US Military is winning by paying Sunni insurgents $300. not to attack US troops.Put em on the payroll that's how the dictator Saddam kept things in control too,so much for all those noble pursuits.

To read the full text of the What has the US "surge"in Iraq accomplished? go to:
What has the US "surge" in Iraq accomplished?

<!-- Masthead image --><!-- Opens 600 pixel table --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=600 border=0><!-- Row 1 --><TBODY><TR><!-- Left Column --><TD vAlign=top width=140><!--Mailing list code start--><FORM action=http://www2.wsws.org/cgi-bin/subscribe.pl method=post><COLDEFS><COLDEF></COLDEF><ROWS></ROWS></COLDEFS></FORM><!-- Search Engine Code --><FORM action=http://www.wsws.org/cgi-bin/search/search.pl method=post encType=x-www-form-urlencoded></FORM><!-- Links --><!-- End of Links --><!-- Blank spacer column --></TD><TD width=20></TD><!-- 440 pixel column for main page body --><TD vAlign=top width=440>
What has the US ?surge? in Iraq accomplished?

By James Cogan
24 December 2007

The fall in US military and civilian casualties over the past several months has seen supporters of the Iraq occupation claim that the Bush administration?s boost of troop numbers to over 160,000 this year?the so-called ?surge??was a total success.

Absent from the back-slapping in Washington is any concern for what the US invasion and occupation has done to the Iraqi people over the past four-and-a-half years. The country has been rendered a wasteland of devastated cities and ruined infrastructure. As many as one million people have been killed and millions more maimed or traumatised. More than two million have fled the country altogether, while another two million have been turned into internally displaced refugees. The economy has collapsed with unemployment over 40 percent. Disease and malnutrition are widespread.

Brookings Institution commentator Ivo Daalder wrote on December 17: ?The sectarian violence had to a large extent succeeded in forcing Sunnis from Shiite areas and Shiites from Sunni areas. One look at an ethnic map of Baghdad tells the story?what were previously mixed neighbourhoods are now mostly Shiite or Sunni. The violence caused a large-scale movement of people?one in six Iraqis has either left the country entirely or has been internally displaced. A lot of this movement has made sections of the country ethnically more homogeneous, thus stemming a major source of the violence.?

The US military has made no attempt to prevent the ethnic cleansing take place. Instead, it has assisted the segregation by throwing up 12-foot concrete walls around Sunni suburbs of Baghdad, transforming the city into a series of sealed off ghettos. A resident of one, the Ghazaliya district, told the Christian Science Monitor earlier this month: ?Iraq is a prison and now I live in my own little prison.?

Throughout the capital and across the country, the US military abandoned any pretense of trying to develop the authority of the Iraqi government. Instead, it pursued a policy of striking deals with whatever militia force or political formation dominated particular districts or suburbs.

In Baghdad?s densely populated Shiite working class slum of Sadr City, arrangements have been made with representatives of Moqtada al-Sadr?s Mahdi Army militia, which is blamed for much of the violence against Sunnis. In return for promising to turn over recalcitrant elements that attack US forces, Sadr?s militia is allowed to openly rule over much of the capital, including areas that it had purged of Sunni inhabitants.

In the walled-off Sunni enclaves, the US military has gone further and actually recruited Sunni insurgents and militias into ?local citizens? groups?. Their members are paid $300 per month for not attacking US troops, while their leaders are allowed to preside like modern-day feudal vassals.

The US payment of militias is widespread across the so-called Sunni Triangle in central Iraq. An estimated 192 separate armed groups with over 77,000 fighters have been formed by Sunni tribes and ?local citizens? groups? over the past year. The Sunni militias have also assisted the US military hunt down Islamic fundamentalist organisations such as the ?Al Qaeda in Iraq? that continued the armed resistance. For Sunni leaders, it is an opportunity to secure greater political leverage under the US occupation.

The US had several motives in enlisting their aid. The policy began in Anbar province as a pragmatic and somewhat desperate attempt to stem US casualties and allow the Bush administration to claim that progress was being made. As it has proceeded, Washington has recognised the Sunni militias as a useful counterweight to the Maliki government under conditions where the US has been preparing for military strikes against neighbouring Shiite Iran. In the event of war, anti-Shiite and anti-Iranian Sunni militias could be used to counter opposition from Iraqi Shiites.

The overall result has been a steady sidelining of the Iraqi central government. Instead of creating a ?national unity? regime, the US has sponsored the creation of a myriad of sectarian fiefdoms, with militia warlords holding sway through a combination of terror, criminality and the offer of some protection for a poverty-stricken and desperate population. The police in most areas are generally controlled by the dominant local militia, as is the local government to the extent it exists.

The fragmentation extends from Baghdad to every corner of the country. While the divide-and-rule tactics may have brought about a decline in the number of attacks on US forces, it hinders every aspect of economic and social activity. Basic services are simply not available to many people because they are located in or supplied from a rival sectarian area. The US occupation has not only destroyed the economy, but created tremendous political obstacles to any coherent reconstruction.

Iraq is currently ranked as the third most corrupt country in the world. It is estimated, for example, that $18 billion in Iraqi government funds has been stolen since 2004. More than one third of all US ?reconstruction? funds is simply stolen and ends up in the pockets of various powerbrokers.

The overwhelming majority of the population is firmly opposed to any US presence in the country. According to a recent ABC/BBC poll, 98 percent of Sunnis and 84 percent of Shiites want all US forces out of the country. Attacks on US troops have dropped markedly but still continue at over 60 per day and are supported, according to the poll, by 93 percent of Sunnis and 50 percent of Shiites.

Far from ?stabilising? Iraq, the US military now faces a highly volatile situation with troops stationed in exposed forward bases keeping ethnically cleansed neighbourhoods and districts apart. While the multitude of sectarian militia are hostile to each other, they remain bitterly opposed to the US occupation. There is nothing new or innovative in the US tactics, which mark a return to the classic colonial policy of ?divide-and-rule?. Any number of factors could rapidly lead to the collapse of this precarious house of cards.

Any conception that Iraq will become a pliable US client state in a matter of a few years is a pipedream. The imperialist ambition of dominating Iraq?s oil resources and using it as a garrison state in the Middle East can only be pursued by the permanent occupation of the country, the repression of Iraqi opposition and a constant flow of dead and wounded soldiers back to the US.

See Also:
US signs deal for long-term occupation of Iraq
[28 November 2007]
A deafening silence on report of one million Iraqis killed under US occupation
[17 September 2007]

<CENTER>[SIZE=-1]The WSWS invites your comments.[/SIZE]</CENTER>
<CENTER><HR>
[FONT=Arial,Geneva,Helvetica,Swiss][SIZE=-1]Copyright 1998-2007[/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial,Geneva,Helvetica,Swiss]World Socialist Web Site[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial,Geneva,Helvetica,Swiss]All rights reserved[/FONT][/SIZE]</CENTER>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TABLE>

mr merlin

EOG Master

Ok, I read your article from the world socialist web site - what am I supposed to glean from it?

scrimmage

Ok, I read your article from the world socialist web site - what am I supposed to glean from it?

That delaying the inevitable end of oil era comes at a great cost to everyone involved,and the stakes to satisfy the need for -and to control-more new energy will only get higher in the future.
The article also presents facts,figures and descriptions of the Iraqi conflict that are sanitized when presented by big corporate media outlets.
Enjoy your comforts not everyones so lucky.

mr merlin

EOG Master

I'll give you a couple facts you dont want to hear - Oil is not in short supply, nor is it likely to be so for decades, if ever. Just in the last couple weeks news has come out about huge(10billion blls) finds off brazil and now another huge field off ghanas coast. If we invaded Iraq for "oil" it is the most collossal failure in history. I prefer to think that we invaded Iraq becuase of a personal vendetta of the bush family - and that makes me sleep like a baby. You see, in my world, grand conspiracy theories make no sense, petty personal vendettas make perfect sense.

You know fellas, I dont know if we will "win" or not, but I want us to win. Its really sad that some people dont.

What the hell do you call a "win?" I call a "win" to be declaring victory and bringing our people the fuck home. . . . .Applauding the meaningless death of other people's children in pursuit of some personal "Bush vendetta" smacks of delusional. I promise you that nobody joined our magnificent military so that the figurehead of the current regime could send them out to remedy some illusional vendetta. . . .
I'd like the odds on whether people like the trolls here will be so "Bushco Proud" when the trials start. . . . .

scrimmage

I'll give you a couple facts you dont want to hear - Oil is not in short supply, nor is it likely to be so for decades, if ever. Just in the last couple weeks news has come out about huge(10billion blls) finds off brazil and now another huge field off ghanas coast. If we invaded Iraq for "oil" it is the most collossal failure in history. I prefer to think that we invaded Iraq becuase of a personal vendetta of the bush family - and that makes me sleep like a baby. You see, in my world, grand conspiracy theories make no sense, petty personal vendettas make perfect sense.

Well heading in another direction,mr merlin I suggest you digest some basic Peak Oil theory at:
Peak Oil: Life After the Oil Crash

Those "huge" finds don't compare to the giant "elephant" fields that are quickly depleting like Gharwar in Saudi Arabia,and Cantarelle in Mexico, it would take dozens of your "huge" finds to replace just those 2.