ANTIGUA vs USA WTO DECISION DUE TODAY

The long-awaited award of the Arbitrators in the dispute between the tiny Caribbean country of Antigua and Barbuda and the United States is expected to be released on Friday, 21 December 2007. This decision-which could have massive implications for the future of the global trading system-is expected to announce the level of annual sanctions Antigua and Barbuda can levy against the United States for failing to comply with WTO decision that American laws criminalising Internet gambling services from Antigua are contrary to international law. Antigua claimed annual damages in excess of US $3 billion and the United States countered with its own estimate of US $500,000. Today's decision will resolve this disagreement. The decision is also expected to announce whether or not Antigua may apply trade sanctions against the United States in the area of intellectual property.

EOG.com will have updates as soon as any news is released.

Decision is expected to come down in around 2 hours.

MCP

Re: ANTIGUA vs USA WTO DECISION DUE TODAY

I haven't been following this because frankly I don't see how it will affect my day to day gambling life.. anyone bored enough care to tell me why I should care about this? It really matters little to me whether internet gambling will be referred to as legal or illegal

Probably the most important WTO dispute decision ever handed down.

1. Answers the question of what the penalty or the price would be for ANY country to vacate a sector and an agreement without the necessary reasons to do so ie morality etc.
2. How far the WTO organization is willing to go to punish numero uno member.
3. Lastly, this is not just compensation arising from a dispute, but clearly is a form of punishment to a member for discriminating in how they apply their criminal statutes back home.

This Bud is for you Ms. Hanaway!

Dawg Pound,

This will be HUGE...

Hopefully, they penalize the HELL out of the US for not being compliant..

Antigua has already WON, but we will find out what that finally means shortly..

The U.S. has since agreed on deals with the 27-nation European Union, Canada and Japan to change the treaty — but has failed to do so with Antigua, Costa Rica, India and Macau.

Until it removes all objections, the U.S. online betting ban is illegal under international trade rules. As a result, Antigua will have the right to penalize U.S. goods until the U.S. government either permits Americans to gamble over foreign-based sites or eliminates exceptions for off-track betting on horses, including over the Internet.

British gambling companies — which bankrolled Antigua's efforts and heavily lobbied Brussels for tough action — were disappointed earlier this week when the EU announced that it had received some minor U.S. trade concessions in exchange for accepting the U.S.-proposed revision to the General Agreement on Trade in Services, or GATS.

The deal fell far short of the US$100 billion in new commercial opportunities the Internet gaming sites claimed the United States owed.

MCP

Thanks dawg pound for taking the time.. slightly off topic but am i alone in not wanting online gambling regulated and operated in the US ?

From what I understand, the negotiations with Costa Rica have been very tense and slow thus far. Seems like the delegation from CR has demanded nothing less than the territory in Florida north of Miami up to Panama City to settle the claim. Insiders believe that a 4 lane highway to Jaco will seal the deal.

Thanks dawg pound for taking the time.. slightly off topic but am i alone in not wanting online gambling regulated and operated in the US ?

This whole issue has nothing to do with regulation at all. Barney has made that an issue and that is for discussion in the future. It's about the US signing a treaty allowing any country to import cars into the US and then they find out that it is hurting GM and Ford so they start jailing importers for bringing in Toyotas into the US. Then they say they are going to withdraw from that sector of the treaty altogether. No more foreign imports. All Americans must buy American made cars How would you like that

Same thing. The government is telling you that you can wager online and bet horses, violate the Wire Act in doing so, but you cannot bet on sports with foreign operators, and only with domestic companies

Journeyman

EOG Master

I dont think most want that at all.:+clueless

53%-25% = WTF?:whatever:

RealSlimShady

EOG Dedicated

I am with you on this. If its regulated and operated in the US, I'll go back 100% to locals.