Do you write down your goals?

tool21

EOG Dedicated
Re: Do you write down your goals?

If i'm being lazy as fuck and not doing my school work i'll put sticky tabs on the laptop to remind me to do something by the end of the day. It really helps b/c i'm on my computer 24/7 and i start feeling guilty about it sooner or later.

Munchkin Man

EOG Dedicated

Greetings:

The Munchkin Man has written down and recorded one goal already.

That goal is to lose weight.

Back in the year 1990, an old roommate once called the Munchkin Man a "fat disgusting slob."

Fast forward to 2007.

The Munchkin Man now weighs at least twice as much in 2007 than he did in 1990.

What would the Munchkin Man's old roommate call the Munchkin Man now?

The Munchkin Man doesn't even want to think about it.

In any event, the Munchkin Man's specifc goal is to lose a minimum of 5 pounds of weight each month, commencing in January of 2008.

The Munchkin Man has even bought himself a special 3-ring binder for this goal, where he will record his progress on weekly weight loss sheets, and where he will insert various weight loss tips and motivational strategies.

Although the Munchkin Man really ought to start right now, the Munchkin Man has learned from past experience that it is really hard to lose weight during this time of the year.

Therefore, the Munchkin Man is spending this month and next, researching various weight loss methods and diets, including psychological approaches that will help the Munchkin Man stay motivated to carry on with the task.

It will probably take the Munchkin Man a minumum of two years to reach his goal.

But it is what it is.

The Munchkin Man has to start from somewhere.

Like it or not, that somewhere is exactly where the Munchkin Man is right now.

The Munchkin Man is getting sick and tired of having to go to the fat man's store whenever the Munchkin Man needs a new pair of pants.

The Munchkin Man is determined to say good bye to that place.

Wish the Munchkin Man luck!

Good luck to all.

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man

rayray

EOG Dedicated

i usually dont have to write stuff down...my girlfriend is constantly reminding me of the shit i need to do.

MIKEH75

EOG Dedicated

i used to write em down and mark em off as i went.in '99 i had just got out of the hospital with an illness and had no job,a suspended license,very little money and was couch surfing.i was basically at rock bottiom.i wrote down long term and short term goals i wanted to achieve and went all out to make it happen.i ended up quitting smoking,getting my own place,buying a real nice car,getting my license back,getting a steady job,a bank account and it really worked.i've been in a rut the past few years but its just because i've gotten lazy and quit writing my goals down.my dad said i got satisfied and quit trying to do better.i have one goal mainly but its a hard personal goal that i'm basically going through hell to manage but i'll get it realized someday hopefully.

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar

One day at a time, but goals are good to have in case you make it a lot of days.

some say it really helps, im gonna give it a go. daily goals and long term.

Writing them down will and does help as it's a constant reminder to accomplish
the tasks(s). Although it may seem over simplistic, make certain the goals are reachable - not to easy, nor to difficult. In the event you do not accomplish goal #1, don't kick yourself over it - keep working at it until you succeed with it. Also, don't move down the list until the previous goal(s) have been accomplished.

For some reason, I think this has something to do with you hitting the weight room, is this the case? :cheers to you in getting your list started and then crossing them off one at a time.

I wish I could be more of a long term planner, but I'm just not. It's day to day, paycheck to paycheck, solving problems on the fly, and hoping that last shot at the end of the game falls.

I tried a long term goal approach to this "hobby" and it made me force plays I normally wouldn't make. One day at a time here.

And in life. I know them but don't put them in writing. My wife would find out my desire to plunk the blonde (not Jeri Ryan, the other one) on Shark.

Just kidding dear. I know you're reading this.

mofome

Banned

Writing them down will and does help as it's a constant reminder to accomplish
the tasks(s). Although it may seem over simplistic, make certain the goals are reachable - not to easy, nor to difficult. In the event you do not accomplish goal #1, don't kick yourself over it - keep working at it until you succeed with it. Also, don't move down the list until the previous goal(s) have been accomplished.

For some reason, I think this has something to do with you hitting the weight room, is this the case? :cheers to you in getting your list started and then crossing them off one at a time.

na i normally find my way into the gym, but i need to get more structure in other parts of my life. im always putting things off or just forgetting about things that i really want/need to get done.

:cheers

Mudcat

EOG Senior Member

I use my Microsoft Outlook calendar a lot for goal planning. Almost every day I get pop-up reminders for this or that.

I agree with PacMan that breaking things down to achievable goals gives a better chance for success. If I have a long-term goal, I usually phrase my daily goal as "make progress."

So if I wanted to write a novel I would not just set a goal of WRITE NOVEL. That's too huge. I would set a daily goal of MAKE PROGRESS ON NOVEL. Then all I would have to do is write one word to accomplish the goal. But usually I would feel so good knowing I could check off that goal, I would do more.

Well it works for me.

Actually I go through spells. Sometimes I let the goal-setting slide. Things don't go as well when that happens.

Black Bart

EOG Addicted

This works wonders from me....from a well-known sales trainer, Jeffrey Gitomer;

What?s the best way to achieve your goals?​
[FONT=Garamond Narrow,Copperplate Gothic Light]
Post-it​
[/FONT][FONT=Garamond Narrow,Copperplate Gothic Light]?[/FONT][FONT=Garamond Narrow,Copperplate Gothic Light] Note Goals!

[/FONT]? Goals are the road map to success. Everyone knows that, but fewer than 5% of our society sets and achieves them.
? Goals are related to everything we strive to achieve from our daily to-do list to earning a million dollars.
? Goal setting and goal achievement is a science and self discipline that must be practiced everyday. How do you set and achieve your goals?
How can a pad of Post-it? notes put you on the path to greater achievement?
Follow the formula...
1. Write down big ones - On 3x3 yellow Post-it? notes, write down your 3 prime goals in short phrases with bold letters. (get $25,000 funding for business; new car - Toyota; New Client - NationsBank)
2. Write down small ones - Write down your 3 secondary goals in short phrases with bold letters. (read book - Dale Carnegie; organize desk; build new closet)
3. Post them on your bathroom mirror where you can see them twice a day - You are forced to look at them every morning and evening.
4. Keep looking and reading until you act - You will look at them twice every day. You will read them aloud twice a day. You will look at them and read them until you are sick of looking at them, and reading them - and then you will begin to accomplish them. By posting the goal in the bathroom you are consciously reminded of your goals several times a day. From there your subconscious gets into the act. Gnawing away at your inner soul until you are driven to take positive action. Achievement actions.
At last you can say the magic words​
...scream them - I did it!
(Screaming positive things always feels wonderful.)​
5. Start your day by looking at your successes - After your goal is achieved - take it off the bathroom mirror and triumphantly post it on your bedroom mirror so you can see your success every time you look in that mirror. Not only does it feel great, but you get to set the tone for a successful day every day first thing in the morning. Plus - it gets you motivated to keep achieving more.
The program is simple. The program works. The results will change your attitude.
The results will change your outlook about your capability of success achievement.
The results will change your life.​
I urge you to give this process a solid thirty day trial. Use more small goals than big goals at first, so you can get immediate gratification. Post it. Post haste.
I hope you realize the full achievement of your goals.