Have you ever read the Bible cover-to-cover...

so to speak ?

I'm betting relatively few have... it's a hard read !

More of my opinions on that later, just starting a thread with legs to try to challenge J-man status ! :LMAO:+textinb3

dirty

EOG Master
Re: Have you ever read the Bible cover-to-cover...

I have read it many times..... The passages are so broad and can be interpreted any way that people see fit.

The Devil

EOG Master

READ THE KING JAMES AND THE DOUEY-RHEIMS(SP) VERSIONS WHILE IN HIGH SCHOOL........LONG, LONG TIME AGO........

mofome

Banned

ok ok ok ok ok ok ok ok ok ok lord!!!! the devil! i get it!

I actually tried to do it one summer but eventually had to start skimming/skipping through it more.

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar

Don't think I have but I am werkin on it. Spent a lot more time in teachings as a kid and my sons went to a Christian school prior to HS, but as far as reading cover to cover, no.

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master

I had to memorize the books of the bible. Was hard fitting them and all of the horses and pointspreads all in my mini brain at once. But when I attempted to enter the church to show off my new skill the reverend recognized me and punched me in the nose. I now fear if I get close to a church I will go Omen Damien. Or if I get near a bible, either it, me or both will burst into flames. No.

Best Wishes...OF :doh1

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar

I started JUDGES today. In contents it speaks of the cycle repeating itself in regards to sin and repeating of sin.

never sat down and read it cover to cover like a book but have studied the entire book over my life AND both of my boys are going to a private Christian School and they/we are doing some serious studying. it's the hardest class they have.

as far as......

The passages are so broad and can be interpreted any way that people see fit.

anything can be interpreted the way "you" want it to sound but the bible is very straight forward.

john 3:16 can be interpreted one way.
the part about you must be born again. pretty straight forward.

Hey...... Good Luck on the games this weekend every:party

One of the biggest mistakes made by people is thinking that the Bible was intended as a front to back, cover to cover, read. It isn't. Its a bunch of books written by individuals and then packaged together, hence "the books of the bible".

I would suggest that someone read one of the gospels first, Mathew, Mark, LUke, or John and then read Acts....if you're still interested, then the rest of the new testament is good. My favorite book is James.

Iron.

Whoson1st

EOG Dedicated

I have read it many times..... The passages are so broad and can be interpreted any way that people see fit.

Exactly--that's why there are HOW many Christian religions out there? And can anyone tell me --why people say ..."the Christians and the Catholics"? Exactly, other than The Pope; what is their difference?

IGAMBLER

EOG Addicted

The Bible is evil. Folks use it to justify slavery, genocide, and homophobia.

J

joeybagadonuts

good post. Also, there are many other better works of FICTION to read better than the bible.

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master

One of the biggest mistakes made by people is thinking that the Bible was intended as a front to back, cover to cover, read. It isn't. Its a bunch of books written by individuals and then packaged together, hence "the books of the bible".

I would suggest that someone read one of the gospels first, Mathew, Mark, LUke, or John and then read Acts....if you're still interested, then the rest of the new testament is good. My favorite book is James.

Iron.

Exactly. How many books ended up on the vatican's cutting room floor?
All that did not serve thier political good. A lot of books did not make it to the final cut. Was there a book of Mary, a book of Judas?

Best wishes...OF :+clueless

Iron.
:cheers
I have read it more then once id suggest getting a one year bible I have the new living translation edition, It breaks it down so you can read it in a year or several other ways.

as far as......

The passages are so broad and can be interpreted any way that people see fit.

anything can be interpreted the way "you" want it to sound but the bible is very straight forward.

john 3:16 can be interpreted one way.
the part about you must be born again. pretty straight forward.

:party

The most important part and the verse most people would probably know

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life.

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master

Anyone know the section that used to between the old and new testement in the King James version?

Best Wishes...OF :cheers

This is a great book: The Year of Living Biblically
globeandmail.com: The year of living biblically

Month Two: October
When a woman has a discharge of blood, which is her regular discharge from her body, she shall be in her impurity for seven days, and whoever touches her shall be unclean until the evening.
?Leviticus 15:19
Day 34. In case you were wondering, Julie, my wife, got her period yesterday ? which is bad news in two senses. First, it means that our attempt to be fruitful and multiply has failed yet again. Second, it ratchets up the biblical living to a whole new level of awkwardness.
The Hebrew Bible discourages the faithful from touching a woman for the week after the start of her period. So far in my year, adhering to this rule has been only mildly uncomfortable, nothing worse. In fact, it's got an upside: It dovetails quite nicely with my lifelong obsessive-compulsive disorder and germaphobia, so it's turned out to be a brilliantly convenient excuse to avoid touching 51 per cent of the human population.
A female friend will come in for a cheek kiss, and I'll dart my head out of the way like Oscar De La Hoya. A colleague will try to shake my hand, and I'll step backward to safety.
Julie, however, finds the whole ritual offensive. I'm not loving it either. It's one thing to avoid handshakes during flu season. But to give up all physical contact with your wife for seven days a month? It's actually quite exhausting, painful, and lonely. You have to be constantly on guard ? no sex, of course, but also no hand holding, no shoulder tapping, no hair tousling, no good-night kissing. When I give her the apartment keys, I drop them into her hand from a safe height of six inches.
"This is absurd," she tells me, as she unlocks the door. "It's like cooties from seventh grade. It's theological cooties."

One does wonder at times if some posters have read ANY book cover to cover.

Mudcat

EOG Senior Member

No, god no.

Even if I became curious about religious texts, there are so many out there, I don't think anything Christian would be near the top of my list. I already know a fair bit about that particular package just from what I hear in Western society.

I would be more likely to explore something a little less familiar.

I have read the Bible several times. It was a requirement in my household. My dad is a preacher!

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master

no bible scholars in this thread, that was an easy one for them, but the public has no idea. Was included in some vs. up until the late 19th century.

Best Wishes...OF :cheers

Mudcat, religious books/texts related to the bible not included in it might well be over 500. Many are even mentioned in the bible.

waco

EOG Dedicated

My Bible is the racing form and I read it from cover to cover every Friday for my bets on Saturday

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master

My Bible is the racing form and I read it from cover to cover every Friday for my bets on Saturday

What you going to do when you are at the Pearly gates? Give the lord a hot tip on #3 in the third race at Belmont?

Best wishes...OF :+clueless

wow. evil? it's love, grace, hope. evil? we are not reading the same book, sorry.

no. i am reading the Bible you have never or you would have never said that. Read it first.

The most important part and the verse most people would probably know

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life.

dude. i think you, me, and the General may be the only Christians here.:(

yes i was forced to read it in my christian theology class, 1 semester long = the bible = a lot of reading each class period! :party

all good though, i think of it as for the better. BOL all, and good luck.