Best Late Round Steal In Professional Sports?

Hache Man

"Seven Days Without Gambling Makes One Weak"
Which player would you guys consider the best late round steal in professional sports history?

:cheers

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!
Re: Best Late Round Steal In Professional Sports: Tom Brady, Karl Malone.....

Terrell davis

wideopen21

EOG Addicted

Mike Piazza went 1,390th overall. Not bad for the best hitting catcher of all time.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Re: Best Late Round Steal In Professional Sports?

Karl Mecklenburg - 12th Round by the Broncos - drafted in a round that no longer exists

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Manu Ginobli was the 57th pick, not a late round, but a late pick. Pretty good value there too.

D-Ro

EOG Enthusiast

Which player would you guys consider the best late round steal in professional sports history?

:cheers
just for you....i'll say Safety out of Syracuse...Tanard Jackson....

but with all the undrafted free agents success, i think late round pick steals become kinda inconsequensial.

Hache Man

"Seven Days Without Gambling Makes One Weak"

3rd Round - Joe Montana?

NickPappagiorgio

EOG Dedicated

Im probably gonna need some help from some of the older posters here. But the best late round pick ever is an easy one.

Larry Bird was selected by the Boston Celtics in the last round of the NBA draft by Red Auerbach. The rules were different at that time, but I dont remember what the exact rule was. I do remember that in Birds last year at Indiana State, he was already property of the Celtics

biggamer3

EOG Master

wasn't tom brady a 6th rounder???
GAME.SET.MATCH

Here is a scouting report i found on Brady from before he the draft:

QB TOM BRADY
(6-4 1/2, 211, 5.25) Michigan
Notes: Baseball catcher and football quarterback in high school who was drafted by the Montreal Expos in the 18th round of the June 1995 baseball draft. Opted for football and redshirted at Michigan in ?95. Saw limited action in ?96 and ?97 and started the past two years. Completed 3-of-5 passes for 26 yards, no touchdowns and one interception in ?96, 12-15-103-0-0 in ?97, 214-350-2,636-15-12 in ?98 and 180-295-2,216-16-6 in ?99, when he often shared time with super sophomore Drew Henson. Went all the way against Alabama in the Orange Bowl and completed 34-46-369-4. Unlike many Michigan quarterbacks, Brady is a pocket-type passer who plays best in a dropback-type system.

Positives: Good height to see the field. Very poised and composed. Smart and alert. Can read coverages. Good accuracy and touch. Produces in big spots and in big games. Has some Brian Griese in him:LMAO and is a gamer. Generally plays within himself. Team leader.

Negatives: Poor build. Very skinny and narrow. Ended the ?99 season weighing 195 pounds and still looks like a rail at 211. Looks a little frail and lacks great physical stature and strength. Can get pushed down more easily than you?d like. Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush. Lacks a really strong arm. Can?t drive the ball down the field and does not throw a really tight spiral. System-type player who can get exposed if he must ad-lib and do things on his own.

Summary: Is not what you?re looking for in terms of physical stature, strength, arm strength and mobility, but he has the intangibles and production and showed great Griese-like improvement as a senior. Could make it in the right system but will not be for everyone.

Top of page

QB MARC BULGER
(6-1 3/4, 206, 4.9) West Virginia
Notes: Completed 19-of-42 passes for 352 yards, three touchdowns and one interception as a redshirt freshman in 1996. Became a starter in ?97, when he hit on 192-323-2,465-14-10. Had his best season in ?98, completing 240-369-3,178-27-8 to finish eighth in the nation in passing efficiency. Also threw for four scores and 429 yards vs. Missouri in the Insight.Com Bowl. Never really got untracked in ?99. Lost his entire starting offensive line and blocking fullback plus wide receivers to graduation and the NFL and was under siege all year. Suffered numerous injuries (badly bruised right index finger, jammed thumb with bone chips, bad ankle sprain, etc.), which forced him to miss three full games and parts of several others. Wound up completing 145-239-1,729-11-13 in eight games.
Positives: Looked like he had an NFL future at the end of the ?98 season. Looked poised and was throwing the ball better than he ever had. Showed a nice, quick, compact delivery and release. Was accurate at almost all ranges. Made good decisions. Showed nice touch when he threw fade routes and some zip on his fastball when he needed to gun the ball. Threw for 1,646 yards and 13 scores on third down, if you include the bowl game.

Negatives: On the lean side and does not have a big frame. Looked like a totally different player in ?99. Got beaten up badly early on and played hurt most of the year. Developed bad habits. Instead of stepping into his throws, he threw falling away from the line. Bird-dogged primary receivers and forced the ball. Lost his accuracy and confidence. Never had a big arm, but arm strength was not a concern until this year.

Summary: Totally different player in ?98 than in ?99. Needs to break the bad habits he developed in ?99, regain his confidence and get back to where he was in ?98, when he looked like another Oliver Luck. Bulger may not be drafted because he played so poorly in ?99, but he would be a mid-round pick off what he did in ?98.

mofome

Banned

nick, i do believe that bird was picked around #5 in his draft. 1978.

they kept his rights when we went back...but i believe it was 5th.

mofome

Banned

he was drafted once. by boston. in the top 10. thank you.

biggamer3

EOG Master

Id still say Larry Bird over Brady Art. Bird was taken in the last round, which was like 8 or 9 rounds at that time
Nick even if Bird was undrafted he is not a greater steal than Brady IMO

Bird is top 50 no doubt, but no one ever says top 10

Brady will be for sure top 5 all time when he is done playing and 6th round is basically undrafted as most 6th and 7th rounders dont even make rosters

mofome

Banned

as for my pick....

i will take Unitas in round 9. later cut by the steelers which makes the pick not as good?

:+clueless

mofome

Banned

Brady will be for sure top 5 all time when he is done playing and 6th round is basically undrafted as most 6th and 7th rounders dont even make rosters

bird is a top 5 NBA player, without a doubt. Brady is not a top 10 NFL player, yet.

Journeyman

EOG Master

Piazza immediately came to mind...also Unitas who was actually cut Pittsburgh kept Ted Marchibroda instead.

mofome

Banned

he was picked up in the previous years draft

you argue with me too often and you always get annihilated. just say 'thank you' when i give you information from now on.

Larry Bird B
io
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] http://www.larrybird.com/stats.html for Career stats)[/FONT]

How Acquired
: Celtics first round draft choice in 1978 - 6<SUP>th</SUP> pick overall.

College Career: Consensus All-American in 1978 and 1979 and the Sporting News Player of the Year in 1979 ... TSN All-America First Team in 1978 and 1979 ... graduated as the fifth all-time leading NCAA scorer (30.3 ppg) ... ISU compiled a record of 81-13 overall and 50-1 at home in his three years ... led ISU to the 1979 NCAA Finals ... John Wooden Award winner in 1979 ... also attended Indiana University, and Northwood Institute, but did not play. Scored over 40 pts. 15 times, 30+ pts. 49 times, 20+ pts. 87 out of 94 games.

Journeyman

EOG Master

Bird was originally drafted by the Celtics with the sixth pick in 1978, the year before his senior year.... The Celtics knew he could return for his senior season, but due to a draft rule that was in effect at that time the Celtics could still sign him before a deadline date after his senior year. Bird did sign before the deadline.....that was a crazy rule!

Boston has been cursed for two decades since though.

royboy

EOG Dedicated

I agree about Brady being the bigger steal but...

I would say almost every list of top ten players in the nba would have bird in it, if not certainly the top 15.

Journeyman

EOG Master

Let Bird play with Kareem and see how many rings he would have won....not that Bird didn't have great players but not one of the other all-time greats and James Worthy!

mofome

Banned

Let Bird play with Kareem and see how many rings he would have won....not that Bird didn't have great players but not one of the other all-time greats and James Worthy!

bird should have played with O, and LUUUUU, in a bucks old school green. they won without him, over my wiz, that was a fun team to watch.

:+excited-

Journeyman

EOG Master

My top 5

Jordan
Bird
Magic
Wilt
Oscar

Lew Alcindor off the bench when Wilt picks up a quick 2. best collegian no one remmbers, NC STATE David Thompson, who was Michael Jordan before Jordan, just like Len Bias was Michael Jordan after Jordan ...the best 3 ACC players are right there.

Journeyman

EOG Master

bird should have played with O, and LUUUUU, in a bucks old school green. they won without him, over my wiz, that was a fun team to watch.

:+excited-

Yes 1971 and they were still the Bullets. 4 straight.:+whipping

mofome

Banned

Yes 1971 and they were still the Bullets. 4 straight.:+whipping

they were still the bullets? who knew?

:houra

i like watching old school games from the 70s and 80s more than i enjoy watching the shit thats in the NBA right now. those were some good players.

Journeyman

EOG Master

agree.

The Bullets had a couple very entertaining series vs Seattle in late 70's as well.

dirty

EOG Master

And you want to be taken serious with a post like That...:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO

Bird is definitely a Top 5 NBA player.....

In no particular order

Bird
Johnson
Oscar
Wilt
West