BREAKING NEWS

trytrytry

All I do is trytrytry
Re: BREAKING NEWS

not true at all Katie...still searching, there is helicopters with search lights on the banks, people still in the water searching under some fallen areas where resuce teams are still trying to reach some possible people in the dark..not stopping they are looking hard still now.

Katie

EOG Master

i didn't say they had stopped..
but they have announced that it is now a recovery effort..
which basically means they are looking for those who did not survive..
they are expecting to find people who died in the water, etc, try try try..

trytrytry

All I do is trytrytry

i didn't say they had stopped..
but they have announced that it is now a recovery effort..
which basically means they are looking for those who did not survive..
they are expecting to find people who died in the water, etc, try try try..

whichever group announed it as recovery only is not true, they are still working to find people who might be alive, they are working the banks and some other areas still now. Just saw a live interview discussing that crews are still working to find people alive focus on a couple areas where debris is piled up (not in the flowing water). there are still medical alert helicopters there at the scene ready to move if needed...not quite looking only for the dead...sort of like in an earthquake ther are pockets of debris that it takes time to get to safely and look for possible survivors.

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

The game was continued to prevent emergency crews from being hampered from reaching scene. People attending game are being advised for routes to leave.

Where did you get this information? Wait, don't tell me, from the Twins. You're not naive by any chance? Perhaps you would like to buy a bridge?

trytrytry

All I do is trytrytry

canine dogs in now helping to sniff those areas just in case..not looking great for any more live persons but still some spots to check and work hard on.

trytrytry

All I do is trytrytry

in the last few minutes they now describe this as a recovery mode so as to not put workers in significant harm tonight... a few still on the bridge but winding down. this is the official news from the press conference.

Katie

EOG Master

in the last few minutes they now describe this as a recovery mode so as to not put workers in significant harm tonight... a few still on the bridge but winding down. this is the official news from the press conference.

i heard that, also..
not sure why it was reported earlier..

dirty

EOG Master

Just heard there are still people submerged in cars with 20 (at least) missing...

And then this which is Scary about other Bridges...

White House cites deficiencies in bridge

<!-- END HEADLINE --> <!-- BEGIN STORY BODY --> By DEB RIECHMANN, Associated Press Writer 33 minutes ago

The White House said Thursday that an inspection two years ago found structural deficiencies in the highway bridge that buckled during evening rush hour in Minneapolis.
White House press secretary Tony Snow said the Interstate 35W span rated 50 on a scale of 120 for structural stability.
"This doesn't mean there was a risk of failure, but if an inspection report identifies deficiencies, the state is responsible for taking corrective actions," he said. The bridge was 40 years old.
First lady Laura Bush will visit Minneapolis on Friday to console victims of the collapse, which killed at least four people and sent dozens of cars plummeting into the Mississippi River on Wednesday.
President Bush first learned of the disaster while having dinner Wednesday night with the first lady. Snow said Bush received preliminary details about the bridge collapse from Joe Hagin, deputy chief of staff. Hagin called Fran Townsend, Bush's homeland security adviser, who reported that there were no known links to terrorists.
Bush asked Federal Highway Administrator J. Richard Capka and Transportation Secretary Mary Peters to go to Minneapolis, where she will announce a $5 million grant to help pay for rerouting traffic patterns around the disaster.
Bush called Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty at 8:45 a.m. EDT Thursday to offer encouragement. "He said the governor was in the president's prayers and offered any support that we can provide," Snow said. Bush also called Minneapolis Mayor R.T. Rybak to offer his condolences and prayers for the losses, and he acknowledged the economic cost of losing a main transportation artery.
Bush then called Peters as she flew to the scene. "He stressed the importance of projecting hope and optimism and offering any help," Snow said.
The administration has sent federal help from the Transportation Department, the National Transportation Safety Board, the Federal Emergency Management Agency, the FBI, U.S. Coast Guard and U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and the Environmental Protection Agency, Snow said.
There is no federal disaster declaration at this time. Snow was not sure whether there had been a request for one.
The president has offered comfort to victims several times in recent months. In March, Bush he visited survivors of tornadoes that ripped through Alabama and Georgia. In April, he offered words of hope at Virginia Tech after a gunman killed 32 people and committed suicide. In May, Bush went to Kansas after a tornado wiped out the tiny town of Greensburg.

<!-- END STORY BODY -->
<!-- END MAIN CONTENT --> <!-- BEGIN FOOTER --> Copyright ? 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. The information contained in the AP News report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.

<!-- start footer --> <script language="javascript"> var ADFadids = "-1,1030392"; function ADFlaunch() {var w; var l="http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12f33io54/M=224039.1983420.3465435.1919853/D=news/S=83018502:FOOT/_ylt=ArtwW24lYRWpMAFIp_bpBI4Gw_IE/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1186074424/A=1030392/R=0/id=adfeedback/SIG=12g5nq2gq/*http://surveys.yahoo.com/user_ad_feedback?source=83018502:FOOT&.q28=news&.q26="+ADFadids; w=window.open(l,"AdFeedbackWin","toolbar=no,scrollbars=yes,resizable,location=no,height=400,width=640"); }</script><table width="750"><tbody><tr><td align="center" valign="top">Copyright ? 2007 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.</td></tr></tbody></table>

Print Story: White House cites deficiencies in bridge on Yahoo! News

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar

"Twins game is cancelled, (1-1) Thursday game is also cancelled. There was a ceremony scheduled for ground-breaking of new stadium tomorrow, that has been cancelled. Unreal."

...now how impressed are you? This was a no-brainer...game should have been cancelled as soon as they learned of the tragedy.

I'm still impressed with her thinking on this matter. Thought it was pretty obvious myself. :rolleyes:

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

I'm still impressed with her thinking on this matter. Thought it was pretty obvious myself.

Maybe I am too old and cynical, but the only obvious thing to me is to follow the money. Why did the Twins play this game? Because they could...at 605PM when the bridge collapsed all the players and stadium employees are already there, the only segment not all there yet is the fans, who would all have to be reimbursed for their tickets, if the Twins cancelled the game, like they should have. And by the way, they cancelled today's game...gee, why is that? They (MLB) cancelled the Cards-Cubs game right before gametime when Darryl Kile was found dead. This was a tragedy of epic proportions; it would have been like the Yankees playing a night game on Sept 11th!!!!

This silly excuse that cancelling the game would have added to the chaos or prevented emergency crews to get to the scene of the accident is just that....a silly excuse! I don't need to know the specific geography of Minneapolis/St Paul, but the TV said that I-35 was one of the major routes to the Metrodome, about a mile or two away. NO traffic would have been allowed back in that direction anyway, so how could cancelling the game add to the chaos? And according to the press conference just now, the guy said all 66 ambulance runs to hospitals after the accident were completed by 1 hour and 57 minutes after the accident, or in other words, before the game even started at 810PM. So how could cancelling the game interfere with rescue efforts?

It's not a big deal anyway, since the fans who were there were free to leave anytime they wanted to. I hope the Twins will do the right thing and reimburse the ticket holders who could not make it to the game due to the traffic caused by the disaster.

Mr. Smith

EOG Master

I read somewhere a while ago that engineers say many of our bridges are not structurally sound anymore and need repairs.

too bad our government wastes so much money on crap like pointless wars and prosecuting internet gambling

dirty

EOG Master

UPDATED: 1:52 p.m. August 02, 2007

Divers search for dead in bridge collapse

By JON KRAWCZYNSKI
Associated Press
Published on: 08/02/07 MINNEAPOLIS — Divers checked submerged cars in the Mississippi River Thursday for victims still trapped beneath the twisted steel and concrete slabs of a collapsed bridge. As many as 30 people were reported missing as the rescue effort shifted to recovery.
Gov. Tim Pawlenty also ordered an immediate inspection of all bridges in the state with similar designs.
<!--endtext--><!--endclickprintinclude--><table align="left" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="175"><tbody><tr><td><table bgcolor="#cccccc" border="0" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="0" width="170"><tbody><tr><td><table bgcolor="#ffffff" border="0" cellpadding="9" cellspacing="0" width="168"><tbody><tr><td class="body">FULL COVERAGE
Photos: 1 | 2
'It seemed like a movie'
Game postponed
Other collapses
Guest book
Videos: Amateur footage | Witnesses
Graphic: Before, after
More coverage</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table><!--startclickprintinclude--><!--begintext--> The official death count from Wednesday evening's collapse stood at four Thursday morning, but Police Chief Tim Dolan said more bodies were in the water. Hospitals officials said 79 others were injured.
"We have a number of vehicles that are underneath big pieces of concrete, and we do know we have some people in those vehicles," Dolan said, though he said he did not have a number. "We know we do have more casualties at the scene."
The eight-lane Interstate 35W bridge, a major Minneapolis artery, was in the midst of repairs when the bridge buckled during the evening rush hour Wednesday. Dozens of cars plummeted more than 60 feet into the Mississippi River, some falling on top one of another. A school bus sat on the angled concrete.
The bridge was crowded with traffic, and a train had been passing beneath the roadway at the time it fell.
In the river, divers were checking for bodies and taking down license plate numbers for authorities to track down the vehicles' owners. Getting the vehicles out was expected to take several days and involve moving around very large, heavy pieces of bridge.
Dolan said police estimate that 20 to 30 people were unaccounted for, though he stressed that it was just an estimate.
At Hennepin County Medical Center, patients arrived in a steady stream after the collapse, some unconscious or moaning, some barely breathing, others with serious head and back injuries, Dr. William Heegaard said.
"There was blood everywhere," he said.
Relatives who couldn't find their loved ones at hospitals gathered in a hotel ballroom Thursday morning for any news, hoping for the best.
Ronald Engebresten, 57, was searching for his wife, Sherry. His daughter last heard from her when she left work in downtown Minneapolis Wednesday. Her cell phone has picked up with voice mail ever since.
"We are left with the hope that there is a Jane Doe in a hospital somewhere that's her," Engebretsen said.
As many as 50 vehicles tumbled into the river when the bridge collapsed, leaving those who could escape to scramble to shore. Some survivors carried the injured up the riverbank, while emergency workers tended to others on the ground and some jumped into the water to look for survivors. Fire and black smoke rose from the wreckage.
The Homeland Security Department said the collapse did not appear to be terrorism-related, but the cause was still unknown.
The first step of the federal investigation will be to recover pieces of the bridge and reassemble them, kind of like a jigsaw puzzle, to try and determine what happened, NTSB Chairman Mark Rosenker said.
Investigators also want to review video of the collapse, and were setting up a phone number for witnesses to call with information.
"It is clearly much too early in the initial stages of this investigation to have any idea what happened," Rosenker said.
As the divers worked their way around at least a dozen submerged vehicles, Transportation Secretary Mary Peters announced a $5 million grant to help pay for rerouting traffic patterns around the disaster site. Members of the state's congressional delegation said up to $100 million could be available for repairs and recovery.
In 2005, the 40-year-old bridge had been rated as "structurally deficient" and possibly in need of replacement, according to a federal database. The span rated 50 on a scale of 120 for structural stability in that review, White House press secretary Tony Snow said.
The U.S. Department of Transportation's inspector general last year criticized the Federal Highway Administration's oversight of interstate bridges, saying investigators found incorrect or outdated maximum weight limit calculations and weight limit postings in the National Bridge Inventory and in states' bridge databases.
Incorrect load ratings could endanger bridges by allowing heavier vehicles to cross than should be allowed, the inspector general said. The audit didn't identify any Minnesota bridges beyond noting that 3 percent of the state's bridges were structurally deficient, placing it at the low end among states.
Pawlenty said Thursday that there was no indication from that and other reviews that the bridge should be shut down. Peters added that "none of those ratings indicated there was any kind of danger."
This week, road crews had been working on the bridge's joints, guardrails and lights, with lane closures overnight on Tuesday and Wednesday. In 2001, the bridge had been fitted with a computerized anti-icing system that sprayed chemicals on the surface during winter weather, according to documents posted on the Minnesota Department of Transportation's Web site.
Wednesday evening, 18 construction workers were on the bridge when it collapsed, said Tom Sloan, head of the bridge division for Progressive Contractors Inc., in St. Michael. One was unaccounted for.
The crew was placing concrete finish on the bridge for what he called a routine resurfacing project.
"They said they basically rode the bridge down to the water. They were sliding into cars and cars were sliding into them," he said.
The school bus had just crossed the bridge when the entire span of Interstate 35W crumpled into the river below. The bus stayed on concrete, and the children were able to escape unharmed out the back door.
Christine Swift's 10-year-old daughter, Kaleigh, was on the bus, returning from a field trip to Bunker Hills in Blaine. She said her daughter called her about 6:10 p.m.
"She was screaming, 'The bridge collapsed,'" Swift said. All the kids got off the bus safely, but about 10 of the children were injured, officials said.
The collapsed bridge is just blocks from the heart of Minneapolis, near tourist attractions like the new Guthrie Theater and the Stone Arch Bridge. As the steamy night progressed massive crowds of onlookers circulated in the area on foot or bicycle, some of them wearing Twins T-shirts and caps after departing Wednesday night's game at the nearby Metrodome early.
Thursday's game between the Twins and Kansas City Royals was called off, but the Twins decided to go ahead with Wednesday's rather than sending about 25,000 fans back out onto the congested highways. Inside the stadium, there was a moment of silence to honor victims.
The steel-arched bridge, built in 1967, rose 64 feet above the river and stretched 1,900 feet across the water. It was built with a single 458-foot-long steel arch to avoid the need for piers that might interfere with river navigation. The depth of the water underneath the bridge is between 4 to 14 feet, according to the Army Corps of Engineers.
---
Associated Press Writers Brian Bakst and Patrick Condon contributed to this report from Minneapolis; Martiga Lohn contributed to this report from St. Paul.

Katie

EOG Master

they have pulled the divers from the river because it is too dangerous due to 1000's of pounds of concrete and steel and the current is moving too swiftly.

Brock

EOG Dedicated

I just got home from the seen. Been there the last eighteen hours.
Yes Javahh knows a lot about the area and how things work in a
situation like this. If you were watching TV on this. That fire truck
on top of the close by bridge was called in to remove the remains
of the man that was in that Burt out semi. It is so real when your
there personally.

trytrytry

All I do is trytrytry

Hey Brock be sure to get some extra helping talking to the pros or someone you trust just to get your emotions out and free. That sounds like a hard day to deal with.

pioneer for what it is worth I dont mind your thoughts at all on whey the game was played. I have a life long friend who is in the TWINS orginazation and at the games nightly, he was there last night as knew what was going on, I EMAILED him asking him the truth on why the game was played. He said the players, staff, dome workers, etc in general were worried and did not want to play.... First it took til about 6:30 or so for people to really fully understand what this situaiton was with media reports and overhead shots. There was some early thoughts by MPLS police that this could be a terror situation and that bridges were in play, they did not know how many more emergency traffic and other MPSL city routes would be needed for rescue. sending the 25,000 people home at 7pm would have been a potential problem...MPLS police and city officials did instruct the Twins to keep the doors open and play the game. Again I understand your position as well.

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar

Guys posting from the scene, God bless you and I, in Indiana, wish I could help you more.

Semper Fi

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

.MPLS police and city officials did instruct the Twins to keep the doors open and play the game. Again I understand your position as well.

Thanksthanksthanks....I can live with that...I still think they should have cancelled but I can understand the other side now better also.

ps. to Katie: not to worry, you are

dirty

EOG Master

I just got home from the seen. Been there the last eighteen hours.
Yes Javahh knows a lot about the area and how things work in a
situation like this. If you were watching TV on this. That fire truck
on top of the close by bridge was called in to remove the remains
of the man that was in that Burt out semi. It is so real when your
there personally.
\

Brock My friend, I really hate you have had to deal with this man.... I knew you might when I heard it happen... Stay strong man... as I went thru a Tornado that killed 6 and wounded a bunch in 98' here.. I was on the scene in about 1/2 hour after it.. seeing dead bodies at my old High School where it hit and it looking like a Bomb going off.... My Dad's company had Construction Contracts for the county and they called us at 7 AM right when it hit to coordinate cleanup and such...... a hour later and school would have been in and hundreds would have surely died...... Not trying to get off subject, but I know man it is tough seeing that.. I didn't sleep well for weeks.

Just got back from visiting the bridge crash. Photos do not begin to outline the enormity of this event. I was inside the perimeter which is keeping the public from getting any closer. It really is something to see it personally. I always wondered why presidents want to see for themselves when terrible things happen. Now I can understand.