Chris Benoit Dead.....

dirty

EOG Master
Re: Chris Benoit Dead.....

FRANK AND MOFO MUST BE TWINS.

At least MO doesn't have a son to be brought up with this loon and being told Aliens chunked rocks at us Millions of years ago and hating life the way Frankie Pooh does, and blaming everything on someone else...

dirty

EOG Master

Benoit "loving person," ex-wife says

By Kevin Duffy
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 06/28/07 Chris Benoit's former wife, Martina Benoit, said the star wrestler "was the most loving person anyone could imagine. I love him."
Reached at her home in Ardrossan, Alberta, Canada, Benoit called reporting of the killings in Fayette County "crap." She did not elaborate before ending the call.
<!--endtext--><!--endclickprintinclude--><table align="left" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="175"></table><!--startclickprintinclude--><!--begintext--> Last weekend, Chris Benoit, 40, killed his wife, Nancy, and their 7-year-old son, Daniel, before committing suicide, according to the Fayette County Sheriff's Department.
He had two other children with Martina Benoit, who has not remarried. Chris Benoit married Nancy Benoit, 43, in 2000.
Authorities said Benoit strangled his wife and possibly killed his son in a chokehold. Daniel had Fragile X Syndrome, a mental disability. Benoit strangled himself using cord attached to a weight machine.
He was one of the biggest stars with World Wrestling Entertainment, a Connecticut-based company that broadcasts matches worldwide on television.

Benoit "loving person," ex-wife says | ajc.com

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar

Concerning VINCE.
he hasn't been a very kind gentleman that deserves my respect, let me tell you that."

IMO (ONLY), Vince is in it for the dollar (which is what businesses are mainly about) and I think it is safe to say that he uses most of these wrestlers for profits, yet likely doesn't really care for their well-being unless they are the big-time money bringing in serious bacon type for his company or the ladies are blowing him for more money or fame in the ring.

This is just an opinion of mine, but I do not hold VINCE responsible for the tragedy at all from what I have read, heard or know about the wrestling business. Each performer has to make the decisions for themselves what they want to put in their bodies.

My opinion is just that. An opinion from a guy who followed wrestling long enough to understand a little of what has happened over the course of my life as I have watched wrestling since a very young child, back in the Dick the Bruiser vs Bruiser Brody days in Indy.

dirty

EOG Master

BRUCE HART: "I WAS NOT AT ALL SHOCKED"
<table width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td valign="top"> By: Bob Ryder
6/29/2007 10:50:51 AM </td> <td align="right" valign="top">
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> Bruce Hart tells the Winnipeg Sun that he wasn't surprised to hear the news that Chris Benoit had murdered his wife and son and then killed himself. "The last time I saw him he was in pretty rough shape mentally. I didn't know all the details but I knew it wasn't good. I was not at all shocked (by what happened)", Hart said.
Hart lashed out at WWE for not recognizing the problem, ""If I could see and determine that in a few visits, how the hell could they (World [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]Wrestling[/COLOR][/COLOR] Entertainment) not have known something was wrong? (In my opinion) I think the WWE needs to re-evaluate what it is doing here."
Hart was also critical of the tribute show aired on Monday night. "I kept hearing 'He was a nice guy, a great guy' and I knew him when he was a kid. But all I know now is he's a murderer. In my opinion, for them to do a tribute show was disgraceful."
Click here to read the Winnipeg Sun story
<hr> One might ask Bruce Hart if he was such a close friend of Chris Benoit, and if he noticed such irrational behavior, and if he thought the man would be capable of such a horrific act...why didn't HE do something about it. I'm in no way defending Chris Benoit, and I'm not saying WWE hasn't made mistakes in their handling of this and other situations. I just think it's a pretty convenient for people like Bruce Hart to come out now saying they saw it coming.

1WRESTLING.COM - NEWSLINE - PRO WRESTLING'S DAILY NEWS SOURCE

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master

BRUCE HART: "I WAS NOT AT ALL SHOCKED"
<TABLE width="100%"> <TBODY><TR> <TD vAlign=top> By: Bob Ryder
6/29/2007 10:50:51 AM
</TD> <TD vAlign=top align=right>

</TD> </TR> </TBODY></TABLE> Bruce Hart tells the Winnipeg Sun that he wasn't surprised to hear the news that Chris Benoit had murdered his wife and son and then killed himself. "The last time I saw him he was in pretty rough shape mentally. I didn't know all the details but I knew it wasn't good. I was not at all shocked (by what happened)", Hart said.
Hart lashed out at WWE for not recognizing the problem, ""If I could see and determine that in a few visits, how the hell could they (World [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]Wrestling[/color][/color] Entertainment) not have known something was wrong? (In my opinion) I think the WWE needs to re-evaluate what it is doing here."
Hart was also critical of the tribute show aired on Monday night. "I kept hearing 'He was a nice guy, a great guy' and I knew him when he was a kid. But all I know now is he's a murderer. In my opinion, for them to do a tribute show was disgraceful."
Click here to read the Winnipeg Sun story

<HR>One might ask Bruce Hart if he was such a close friend of Chris Benoit, and if he noticed such irrational behavior, and if he thought the man would be capable of such a horrific act...why didn't HE do something about it. I'm in no way defending Chris Benoit, and I'm not saying WWE hasn't made mistakes in their handling of this and other situations. I just think it's a pretty convenient for people like Bruce Hart to come out now saying they saw it coming.

True. Very hypocritical, at least on the surface. Goes to show you that money and fame often hide very different and sad interiors on supposedly 'happy' people. Tell your friends and family how much you love them .......EVERYDAY!

dirty

EOG Master

NANCY BENOIT'S PARENTS COMMENT PUBLICLY ON TRAGEDY AND FRAGILE X REPORTS, LOOKING INTO POTENTIAL CIVIL LAWSUIT
by Mike Johnson @ 5:55:00 PM on 6/29/2007

For the first time since the Benoit family tragedy, Paul and Maureen Toffoloni, the parents of Nancy Benoit commented publicly via their attorney, Richard Decker. "We're trying to stay out of their way right now," Decker said. "In the meantime, Maureen and Paul and Sandra [Nancy's sister] have asked me to ask members of the media and public to remember that this is an investigation of the death of their daughter and only grandchild. And even though Chris and Nancy led public lives, the family, specifically Daniel, did not lead a public life." The comments were made to an ESPN.com writer.
Decker also noted that the Toffoloni's were unaware of their grandson, Daniel Benoit, suffering from Fragile X syndrome, one of the potential theories as to what could have caused the horrific incident on the weekend of 6/23. "To them, he's always been a normal, healthy, happy child with no signs of illness," Decker said. "And that's not from a distance. That's from day-to-day contact. There has been a lot of speculation and rumor in the media that is doing nothing to advance the investigation and doing everything to cause the Toffolonis intense pain."
Decker also noted that the family has asked him to look into the possibility of a civil lawsuit, although who or what it would be filed against was not mentioned.
To read the complete ESPN.com article, which covers many of the points written about in the last several days on PWInsider.com, click here.

Pro Wrestling Insider - Pro Wrestling News Inside & Out

dirty

EOG Master

DEA AGENTS FOCUSING ON BENOIT'S DOCTOR, TWO MORE RAIDS THIS AFTERNOON
by Mike Johnson @ 7:00:00 PM on 6/29/2007

Fox 5 in Atlanta is reporting that DEA agents have just raided the home belonging to the mother of Chris Benot's personal physician, Dr. Phil Astin. Astin is currently staying at the residence and the raid was to insure he didn't remove any files pertaining to the Benoit case there. Federal officials are also back at Astin's office today seeking additional materials.

dirty

EOG Master

AUTHORITIES SEIZE COMPUTER USED IN WIKIPEDIA BENOIT HOAX
by Mike Johnson @ 7:07:00 PM on 6/29/2007

Authorities have tracked down the individual responsible for the wikipedia hoax that listed Nancy Benoit as deceased hours before the Benoit family tragedy was discovered by Georgia police, seizing the computer used to analyze it for any potential involvement or knowledge in the tragedy.
"It is unbelievable what a hindrance this has put on our investigation," said Lt. Tommy Pope, a spokesman for the Fayette County, Georgia police department told ABC News. "We've got to put a lot of effort and time into working to prove or disprove that someone put up a hoax situation or that somebody was conceiving the death from out of state."
Authorities have not yet revealed the identity of the person responsible and do not intend to do so until they have completed investigating whether that person had any knowledge of the Benoit murder-suicide last weekend. As noted on PWInsider.com, based on previous posting history on wikipedia, the entire situation appears to be a college student who made the comment about Nancy Benoit as part of a series of explicit, poorly written edits to different wikipedia entries.
The person responsible posted an apology late last night. wikipedia volunteers confirmed the apology came from the same IP address that initially posted about Nancy Benoit.
To read the complete article, click here.

dirty

EOG Master

LATEST BENOIT TRAGEDY NEWS
by Mike Johnson @ 9:11:00 PM on 6/29/2007

The Georgia Wrestling History website is quoting DEA agent Chuvalo Truesdell as stating the Drug Enforcement Agency has taken over the investigation into Dr. Phil Astin, Chris Benoit's physician. The website is reporting the DEA made a forceful entry during their raid earlier today in Astin's mother's home. Neither Dr. Astin nor his mother have been seen for two day, according to the website. You can read their account on the localized ongoing in the investigation at www.GeorgiaWrestling.com.
Chris Benoit's former wife, Martina Benoit, spoke briefly to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, calling the former WWE World champion, "...the most loving person anyone could imagine. I love him." She referred to the media coverage of the Benoit tragedy as "crap". You can read a complete article at this link.
ESPN noted that the researchers who have done studies on deceased NFL Players, including Andre Waters, have requested brain tissue from Chris Benoit's body in order to seek to learn whether Benoit may have suffered from the same post-concussion syndrome that led to Waters to take his own life. You can read more at this link.
Chris Jericho is slated to appear on Greta Von Sustern on Fox News tonight. Jericho has been the best person that has worked within the wrestling industry, hands down, to get across the idea that something seriously wrong happened that can't be simply dismissed as steroids (although he noted that they could have been part of the problem) and was intelligently well-spoken discussing the tragedy from the aspect of Benoit's friend and as someone who wants answers for closure, while every other appearance I've personally seen has been made up of those who have agendas or are looking for 10 minutes of TV time to rip on the business and/or make their own names. The only exception to that list (and I admit I haven't seen every piece of coverage) would be Bret Hart who I believe came onto different shows to discuss the situation honestly, but he's been removed for years as a regular performer in the business and doesn't have the insight that Jericho provides. As for the others, well, if you are reading this, you know how they came off.
The Ultimate Warrior's appearance on Fox News' Hannity & Colmes has been pushed back to this Monday due to coverage of the (thankfully) foiled London bombing today in England.

dirty

EOG Master

AJC EXCLUSIVE....

Benoit e-mails tell of friendship, spiritual guidance

By GREG OLIVER
Special to the Journal-Constitution
Published on: 06/29/07 Greg Oliver is a freelancer writer from Toronto who knew and wrote about fellow Canadian Chris Benoit, the professional wrestler who allegedly killed his wife, Nancy, 7-year-old son, Daniel, and himself last weekend inside their Fayette County home. Oliver has written three books about professional wrestling, produces the "SLAM! Wrestling" Web site and has published articles in newspapers in Canada. Oliver had an occasional e-mail correspondence with Benoit, and shared some of that with The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
<!--endtext--><!--endclickprintinclude--><table align="left" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="175"><tbody><tr><td><table bgcolor="#cccccc" border="0" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="0" width="170"><tbody><tr><td><table bgcolor="#ffffff" border="0" cellpadding="9" cellspacing="0" width="168"><tbody><tr><td class="body"> RELATED:
Benoit e-mails tell of spiritual guidance
Wikipedia entry revealed death before bodies found
Ex-wife describes Benoit
Wrestler to be buried in Canada; wife, son in Fla.
Physician's past: Profile | Suspended, fined (PDF)
Son's disability caused stress, lawyer says
Benoit left trail of calls, online messages | Video | Photos
Reaction among fans, Fayette
<!--• | Guest book
&#149; Video: Steroids a factor?
Wrestling big TV draw
Blog: I'll miss Chris Benoit
'Magnum T.A.' shocked
Reaction from fan Web sites
Do you need help?'Canadian Crippler' was admired | Timeline
Video: WWE owner reacts to tragedy
--> </td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table><!--startclickprintinclude--><!--begintext--> I first interviewed Chris Benoit in 1997. We'd done a few other interviews here and there, and seen each other at various wrestling events. In November 2005, WWE star Eddie Guerrero died unexpectedly of natural causes related to heart disease. Guerrero was Benoit's best friend, and I sent a note to Chris offering my condolences. Here is his response:
"Hi Greg, thank you for your e-mail. I know that he has left us but I still feel like I'm going to see him on the road next week. I do not know if I will ever have as good a friend as I did in Eddie. I was able to talk to him about anything in my life, and he was always able to make sense of things or change my perspective.
"He was somewhat of a spiritual guide for me. I do not know if you read the Bible at all, or what your beliefs are, and I will respect you for whatever your beliefs are. But if you ever get the opportunity to read about Job, it reminds me so much of Eddie. He at one point after coming out of rehab had nothing but the clothes on his back. He had physically, mentally emotionally and monetarily hit rock bottom. He lost his family, his wife and children had left. But he never lost his faith and through it was able to overcome the odds.
"Instead of Eddie becoming bitter, Eddie became better. In our business it is really difficult to understand why we do what we do and why we think what we think unless you are in it, unless you have a passion for it, it is so demanding physically, mentally and emotionally in every possible way, but when you love it as did Eddie, as do myself, you have a better understanding of why we do what we do.
"I do not believe that I will ever find someone that I will bond with and be able to understand and be understood as I was with Eddie. I'm not looking forward to going back on the road, not that I ever did, I hate the road, but I looked forward to Eddie's company and camaraderie. Both of us hated the road, being away from our families, but both of us lived for that in ring bell to bell time.
"My wife Nancy bought me a diary and I have started to write letters to Eddie, it may sound crazy but that is how I'm coping. I'm sorry if some of this e-mail does not make any sense either but it helps me cope. Thank you, Greg."
—————
But not all his emails were dreary. In a later e-mail, Benoit also talked about how life on the road was different.
"We were even warned about our conduct when we are out having a few beers. Sometimes we can get a little rowdy especially when we are overseas. Apparently someone video taped a few of the guys acting up on they're cell phone and posted it on the internet. So much for privacy."
—————
With an offer to contact him anytime, via cell phone or e-mail, he said his goodbyes.
It was the last e-mail I got from him, but not the last I sent. On Saturday, I'd e-mailed him best wishes, as I'd heard someone in his family was ill, and that he wouldn't be appearing at the WWE Vengeance pay-per-view. I also wanted his thoughts on his old tag team partner Shayne Bower, a.k.a. Biff Wellington, who had just died at age 44, down and out in Calgary, after years of painkiller abuse.
Needless to say, I didn't hear back from Chris, and now I never will.

Benoit e-mails tell of friendship, spiritual guidance | ajc.com

dirty

EOG Master

Deaths still treated as murder-suicide
DA: Web post won't shift focus

By KEVIN DUFFY, KATHY JEFCOATS, ERIC STIRGUS
Published on: 06/30/07 The Chris Benoit killings will continue to be treated as two murders and a suicide, despite an online posting about the mother's death made before the bodies were found, Fayette County District Attorney Scott Ballard said.
"I am confident the conclusion of our investigation will be murder-suicide," Ballard said Friday. "That is based on the medical examiner's report and other evidence."
<!--endtext--><!--endclickprintinclude--><table align="left" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="175"><tbody><tr><td><table bgcolor="#cccccc" border="0" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="0" width="170"><tbody><tr><td><table bgcolor="#ffffff" border="0" cellpadding="9" cellspacing="0" width="168"><tbody><tr><td class="body"> RELATED:
Ex-wife describes Benoit
Reaction among fans, Fayette
<!--• | Guest book
Wrestling big TV draw
'Magnum T.A.' shocked
--> </td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table><!--startclickprintinclude--><!--begintext--> A user of Wikipedia, the online encyclopedia, admitted making edits to wrestling star Benoit's profile, mentioning the death of his wife, Nancy, more than 14 hours before authorities arrived at the crime scene. Last weekend, Benoit killed his wife and mentally impaired son, Daniel, 7, before committing suicide, officials said.
The anonymous Wikipedia user, in a lengthy post added to the Web site early Friday, wrote of being "deeply sorry" and called the situation a "terrible coincidence."
Ballard, district attorney for Fayette County, where the Benoits lived, said the posting is being investigated, but added it won't change the thrust of the case.
The Wikipedia user acknowledged being from Stamford, Conn., home of World Wrestling Entertainment, Benoit's employer. In the message, the individual claimed no connection to WWE.
The funerals for Nancy Benoit and Daniel are scheduled for next week in Daytona Beach, Fla., where her parents, Paul and Maureen Toffoloni, live.
"The Toffolonis are making service arrangements directly with their priest, but no date or time has been set," said their Atlanta attorney, Richard Decker.
The bodies were to be cremated, according to Carl J. Mowell and Sons Funeral Home in Fayette, which is assisting the family.
Benoit will have a private service in Ardrossan, Alberta, Canada, his father, Michael Benoit, said.
The wrestler's former wife, Martina Benoit, and their
two children, also live in Ardrossan.
"He was the most loving person anyone could imagine," she said Friday in a brief phone interview. "I love him."
Martina Benoit blasted media coverage of the killings, calling it "crap," but declined to elaborate before ending the call. She and Chris Benoit had two children together — a boy, 14, and a girl, 10.
Fayette County sheriff's deputies discovered the bodies Monday about 2:30 p.m. after being contacted by WWE. Benoit had missed Saturday and Sunday matches.
At 12:10 a.m. Monday, more than 14 hours before the bodies were found, the Wikipedia poster made this entry: "Chris Benoit was replaced by Johnny Nitro for the [ECW] Extreme Championship Wrestling Championship match at Vengeance, as Benoit was not there due to personal issues, stemming from the death of his wife Nancy." The Vengeance match was to be held Sunday.
The IP address from which the 12:01 a.m. addition was made had been flagged for "vandalizing" other Wikipedia entries in the past.
Earlier this month, the same user also edited a post about WWE wrestler Chavo Guerrero Jr., a close friend of Benoit's who reportedly was the recipient of at least one of the text messages Benoit sent over the weekend before the discovery of the bodies.
In that edit, the user took out a damaging description of Guerrero from the post.
The reporters' e-mails are kduffy@ajc.com, kjefcoats@ajc.com and estirgus@ajc.com

dirty

EOG Master

ASSOCIATED PRESS REPORTS GEORGIA SENATOR SEEKING INFORMATION ON WRESTLING FOR POTENTIAL HEALTH COMMISSION HEARINGS
by Mike Johnson @ 11:12:00 AM on 6/30/2007

The Associated Press has released an article on the series of young deaths in professional wrestling, noting "loopholes" in the WWE Wellness policy and that Georgia Senator Johnny Isakson has instructed his staff to begin gathering information into whether the Health Commission should be looking into the industry. Lance Storm and Road Warrior Animal, among others were interviewed for the article, which reads:
Dying young a sad chapter in wrestling's scripts
PAUL NEWBERRY, AP National Writer
Saturday, June 30
ATLANTA — Everything is planned. The high-flying moves. The outlandish story lines, The crackpot characters. One thing isn't in the script: the staggering number of pro wrestlers who die young.
Chris Benoit was the latest, taking his own life at age 40 after killing his wife and son in a grisly case that might be the blackest eye yet for the pseudo-sport already ridiculed as nothing more than comic books come to life, a cult-like outlet for testosterone-ragin' young males to cheer on their freakishly bulked-up heroes.
But the tenacious, grim-faced grappler known as the "Canadian Crippler" was hardly alone in heading to an early grave.
The very same weekend Benoit killed his family, the body of old tag-team partner Biff Wellington (real name: Shayne Bower) was found in his bed, dead at 42. A couple of weeks ago, former women's champion "Sensational" Sherri Martel passed away at her mother's home in Alabama. She was 49.
And on it goes.
Mike Awesome (Michael Lee Alfonso in real life) was found hanged in his Florida home in February, the apparent victim of a suicide at 42. "Bam Bam" Bigelow was 45 when a lethal cocktail of cocaine and benzodiazepine, an anti-anxiety drug, stopped his already ailing heart in January.
And on it goes, dozens and dozens of wrestlers meeting a similar fate over the past two decades. Some died with drugs flowing through their veins. Others tried to clean up but belatedly paid the price for their long-term abuse of steroids, painkillers, alcohol, cocaine and other illicit substances.
How many more must pass through the morgue before everyone stands up and shouts: Enough's enough?
"From my 17 years in the business, I know probably 40 to 45 wrestlers who dropped dead before they were 50," said Lance Evers, a semiretired wrestler who goes by "Lance Storm" when he's in the ring. "It's an astronomical number."
Then, he added in a voice tinged with anger and sadness, "I'm sick and tired of it."
———
Over the years, there are been numerous proposals to put wrestling under some sort of oversight, be it at the state or federal level. Those ideas usually have fallen on deaf ears, largely because the powers-that-be, be it the old-time regional promoters or WWE owner Vince McMahon, the guy who largely controls the sport today, don't want the government telling them how to run their business.
Jim Wilson, who parlayed pro football into a ring career, says he was blackballed when he began pushing for a wrestler's union. Since then, he has written a book about his experiences and kept up the push to rein in those who govern the sport.
Although Wilson's battle often has been a lonely one, he says Benoit's death might reinvigorate the cause.
A union could be a useful tool for cleaning up the sport. It might lead to a pension plan, improved benefits, more stringent health and safety guidelines and a revamped pay structure that would allow wrestlers to spend more time at home without risking a pay cut.
Now, most top wrestlers get a guaranteed salary, but the bulk of their income is based on how often they compete. That leads some to feel they must get in the ring while injured, often with the aid of painkillers and other numbing chemicals.
And much like rock stars, plenty of wrestlers have fallen victim to excessive partying, alcohol and drug dependency, and marital problems during grueling stints on the road.
"My longest run was 79 days in a row without a day off," said Joe Laurinaitis, the wrestler known as Road Warrior Animal and father of Ohio State football star James Laurinaitis. "It's not as bad now. They've got good guys running the WWE. Still, we need to take a look at it when things like this (the Benoit murder-suicide) are happening. Guys are still overworked."
That's why Wilson's calling for Congress to hold hearings on the wrestling industry, much like it investigated doping in professional sports and just this past week heard from ex-NFL players who believe they're being shortchanged on their pensions.
"In those other sports, they aren't dropping like flies like they are in the wrestling business," Wilson said. "Now is the time to push for legislation nationally."
He's already spoken with U.S. Sen. Johnny Isakson (R-Ga.), who instructed his staff to begin gathering information on the issue to determine if a hearing before the Health Committee might be warranted.
Isakson said his main concern is steroid abuse.
"I'm not going to start speculating on federal regulation of wrestling," he said. "The issue is anabolic steroids, which are a significant problem and are known to cause significant difficulties. It's a health issue that's appropriate for us to discuss, regardless of the profession."
———
Steroids and other muscle-building drugs long have been an accepted part of the wrestling culture, allowing the biggest names to pump up to ungodly proportions that wouldn't be possible through natural means.
Granted, nobody comes right out and tells a wrestler he or she should take steroids. But all one has to do is attend a match in person or watch one on TV to realize some of these physiques just aren't plausible without help from a syringe.
"Somebody says you need to put 25 pounds on your upper body," said Larry DeGaris, who teaches sports marketing at the University of Indianapolis and moonlights on the independent wrestling circuit as "The Professor" Larry Brisco. "Well, if you have an athletic background and have been around sports for a while, you know there's only one way to do that. Nobody needs to tell you. It's just a tacit understanding."
Steroids were found in Benoit's home, though investigators haven't determined if they played any role in the brutal killings of his wife, Nancy, and their 7-year-old son.
World Wrestling Entertainment, which employed Benoit and holds a virtual monopoly grip on the industry, was quick to point out that this tragedy — apparently carried out over an entire weekend — doesn't come with the classic signs of 'roid rage, the violent, unpredictable outbursts that can be caused by someone who abuses steroids.
A top anti-doping expert agreed but said it's too early in the investigation to draw any firm conclusions.
"I can paint any number of scenarios that explain this without invoking 'roid rage," said Dr. Gary Wadler, a member of the World Anti-Doping Agency. "'Roid rage tends to be impulse control. This event happened over two or three days. It has the earmarks of some calculation."
The WWE also was quick to announce Benoit had passed his last drug test in April, part of the organization's "Wellness Program" that was put in place after the death of star Eddie Guerrero two years ago.
But Wadler doesn't sound all that impressed with the WWE's testing procedures. He's especially troubled that the WWE refuses to discuss the program in any detail.
Both Evers and wrestling journalist Bryan Alvarez, who've seen guidelines for the program, report two troubling loopholes:
— A wrestler can pass the doping test with a testosterone to epitestosterone ratio of 10:1, more than double the WADA standard. Under WADA rules, athletes are in violation starting at 4:1; the average ratio is 1:1.
— A wrestler who tests positive can be excused if he produces a doctor's prescription and a medically justified reason for taking the drug in question.
———
There's no justifying that happened at the Benoits' suburban Atlanta home last weekend.
Alvarez, who covers the sport extensively for the Web site Wrestling Observer - The Newsletter by Dave Meltzer, has some inkling of the demons that might have overtaken the wrestler.
He said Benoit never got over the 2005 death of Guerrero, a former WWE champion and four-time tag-team titleholder who was 38 when he died of a heart attack, perhaps caused by the alcohol and drug abuses that friends thought he had beaten.
"Chris' closest friend in the world was Eddie Guerrero," Alvarez said. "He could cry to him. He could tell him everything. After Eddie died, I talked to Chris. He was broken man."
Last year, another of Benoit's wrestling buddies, 263-pound Mike Durham (known in the business as Johnny Grunge), died at 39 from complications cause by sleep apnea, a condition that often affects larger people such as wrestlers and football players.
"It was about this period of time that people started noticing weird behavior, paranoid behavior, which would indicate (Benoit) was using a lot of drugs," Alvarez said. "He was alone. He was on the road a lot, having to perform at a high level, having to look a certain way. I think the drug use escalated, and his whole world basically fell apart."
Laurinaitis knows what a lethal potion it all can be.
His friend since childhood and longtime tag partner, Road Warrior Hawk (Michael Hegstrand), died from a heart attack in 2003. Just 46, Hegstrand had battled alcohol and drugs, in addition to using steroids, Laurinaitis said.
"I used to watch him sometimes and just shake my head. I would think, 'Oh my God, what in the world is he doing? Why is he doing that?"' Laurinaitis said. "I saw quite a few guys go down that path."
Now, they're all gone.
Benoit. Guerrero. Hawk.
Martel. Bigelow. Awesome.
Not to mention Curt "Mr. Perfect" Hennig, Big Boss Man, Hercules, Crash Holly, Davey Boy Smith, Miss Elizabeth, Terry Gordy, "Gentleman" Chris Adams, Yokozuna, "Ravishing" Rick Rude, Owen Hart, Louie Spiccoli, Brian Pillman, Eddie Gilbert, Buzz Sawyer, "Quick Draw" Rick McGraw, Gino Hernandez and much of the Von Erich clan.
All dead before they were 50 — and that's just a sampling of an ever-growing list.
"It's gotten to the point that just about every show in the country is starting with a ten-bell salute," said DeGaris, the professor and wrestler, referring to the traditional farewell to a fallen competitor. "You kind of look at some of the old pictures, and you're the last man standing."

dirty

EOG Master

Scripted storylines don't reveal reasons for Benoit tragedy

By Elizabeth Merrill
ESPN.com
(Archive)

<!-- promo plug -->
<!-- end promo plug -->
<!-- end story header --><!-- begin left column --> <!-- begin page tools --> Updated: June 30, 2007, 10:45 PM ET
<!-- end page tools --><!-- begin story body --> <!-- template inline -->FAYETTEVILLE, Ga. -- The house, by most appearances, is immaculate and perfect. The fireplace, the wooden deck, the private staircase climbing up to a little boy's room. The circle driveway and the red Hummer.
When fact blurred to fantasy, Nancy Benoit never told people this, that in high school, all she really wanted to be was a housewife. Now her house is where the story ends and the spectacle begins. It takes a good navigational system to get to the Benoit home, past a gravel road, through a narrow two-lane spin with tall Georgia trees on both sides. Gawkers have inched by for days, peering through the metal gate for answers. A woman rolled in from North Carolina the other night, reeking of alcohol, firing a volley of "why's" as a neighbor went to get his mail. She allegedly pelted him with rocks and wound up in jail. Elizabeth Merrill/ESPN.com
The Benoits' house in Fayetteville, Ga., where wrestling star Chris Benoit allegedly killed his wife, Nancy, and 7-year-old Daniel, then later hung himself.

"It's certainly surreal," says Fayette County district attorney Scott Ballard. "I've used the word bizarre. There are so many bizarre things about it." The why might never be answered -- why Chris Benoit, wrestling superstar, alleged family man, apparently murdered his wife on a Friday, strangled his son on a Saturday then wrapped a cord from his weight machine around his neck and hung himself on a Sunday. Because they lived in a world of scripted storylines, flying clotheslines and outlandish ring names, it took nearly a day for some WWE fans to believe that Benoit and his family were actually dead. Some still can't swallow it. But fiction, those close to the case will say, could not trump the reality on Green Meadow Lane. Ballard sits in his office across town at 5:30 p.m., after office hours because the Benoit case has evolved into a round-the-clock, breaking-news buffet of Geraldo and Greta proportions. Before Monday, Ballard had no idea who Benoit was. Maybe, he says, nobody really did. He's describing how rigormortis had set in by the time they found Nancy, whose skin was marbleized as she lay face-down on the floor. He's remembering his walk into Daniel's room -- the 7-year-old boy's body was gone, but posters of his dad still hung on the wall, and two toy wrestling belts sat on a shelf. There was every indication, Ballard says, that Daniel Benoit adored his father. "I pray for two things," Ballard says. "That he didn't know about his mother's death and he was asleep when he was strangled. "I don't think anybody can give me a why for that little boy being strangled that would satisfy me. I will never understand that." <hr align="center" width="150"> Jim Daus was headed out to dinner Monday night when a call pierced his steeply-planted world. Nancy was dead. Before she was "Woman," before she graced the covers of wrestling magazines and was drooled over by teenage boys, Nancy Benoit was Nancy Daus, a Florida girl who dropped out of high school to marry her boyfriend Jim. They were high school sweethearts, kids with no money and little to do, and on Sunday nights, Jim grabbed his girl and whisked her to Orlando to watch wrestling. It was new for Nancy, whose protective parents at first didn't let her go. But he had front-row seats, and the couple was lured by the drama, the machismo, the circus. "How would I describe it? Male soap opera," Daus says. "You follow the storylines like you'd watch a soap opera on TV. It builds, and you have to wait 'til Monday to find out the next chapter." He used to call it fate, being in the right place at the right time. One night a wrestler grabbed Jim's chair, heaved it into the crowd and a camera clicked away at Nancy's surprised expression. She was discovered that night, joined wrestler Kevin Sullivan's entourage, and her life as a valet/diva/manager put her in leather and chains and took her everywhere from Texas to Hawaii. For a while, Daus was a happy part of the ride. They grew up fast and owned their first house as teenagers. Eventually, there was no room for him on the tour. On New Year's Day -- Daus isn't sure what year -- he picked her up from the airport, heard all the places she was booked for and said they were drifting in different directions. He suggested a divorce. Within days, they were seeing the same lawyer. "We cried a lot that day," he says. "It was very hard on me. That was the toughest year of my life, the year I got divorced." He stopped watching wrestling. It was too painful. Nancy's career skyrocketed, and she married Sullivan, a booker/wrestler known for his satanic references in the ring. If the entourage ultimately pulled Nancy away from Jim, it almost seemed fitting that another wrestling saga eventually pried her away from Sullivan. AP Photo/WWE, HO
Authorities are investigating whether steroids may have been a factor in the deaths of Chris Benoit, above, his wife and child.

By the mid-1990s, Sullivan was on the outs with Nancy, and scripted an angle that had her canoodling with Benoit. Wrestling fans knew her as "Woman." Benoit called her Nancy. In a life-imitates-art moment, they fell in love. Some people thought it was an odd combination -- Chris the quiet workmanlike wrestler, Nancy the headstrong, career-savvy manager. Some also wondered why she gave it all up, left the business to be a stay-at-home wife and mother. She disappeared from the spotlight, showing up occasionally at her husband's side. In the flurry of video clips of the past week, she's seen hugging Chris while confetti rains down on another wrestling victory. He's shown kissing his little boy as the emotions seep from his sweaty, sculpted body. How much did anyone know about what went on with the Benoits? She filed a divorce petition in 2003, and withdrew it a few months later. She also filed a temporary protection order from domestic abuse, and later dropped that, too. Richard Decker, an attorney for Nancy's parents, Paul and Maureen Toffoloni, said the family had no reason to believe there was turmoil on those 8.6 acres in Fayetteville. "None. Zero," Decker says. "They had a normal son-in-law relationship with Chris. They didn't treat him as a superstar, and he didn't want to be treated as a superstar. He took out the trash and they treated him as anyone would treat a son in law. (The couple) had a close and loving relationship as far as they knew." <hr align="center" width="150"> The testimonials for Chris Benoit, pre- and post-death, are almost pre-recorded from those close to him. Hard worker, they say. Loyal, polite and quiet. Passionate. Elizabeth Merrill/ESPN.com
In the week since the apparent murder-suicide, fans have left flowers, notes, photos and action figurines on the wall outside the Benoit's home.

Nearly everybody in the wrestling business has a story of how they saw Benoit within the past couple of weeks, and he seemed like the same man who crawled through the ropes and into fantasy more than two decades ago. One close friend, who declined to be named, says he vacillates from wanting to block the whole thing out to gluing himself to the Internet in search of the latest developments. One morsel of information might crack this thing, and explain the invisible demons. It's one thing to grieve the death of a good friend. But how do you mourn a monster? "Do I still love this guy or do I walk away hating this guy who's so out there that he could actually kill his wife and son," the friend says. "It's hard to distinguish, and you can't meet them both halfway." When wrestling fans wanted to be marveled by gimmicks, they followed any number of spandex-wearing musclemen. When they wanted a good show, they watched Benoit. He was old-school, he was intense, and his gimmick was that he really didn't have one. "People looked forward to his matches," says Mike Mooneyham, co-author of "Sex, Lies, and Headlocks," a book about the WWE. "He was believable, realistic and probably one of the greatest workers over the last 10 or 15 years. If it was a bad show, Chris could save it in his match." Reality has never been a staple of professional wrestling. Its stars are cut from granite; its canned drama could cause the most gullible to collectively roll their eyes. And then there's the schedule. In the old days, Russ Hart says, they'd bond on eight- or nine-hour bus trips together, riding from show to show, taking chairs to the head until the next stop. The average professional wrestler today spends between 200 and 250 days of the year on the road. Some jokingly call "Marriott" their home address. Others become caught up in their make-believe lives in the ring. Flyin' Brian Pillman wrestled with a loose cannon gimmick that eventually led to him being fired by the WCW. He crashed his Hummer into a tree, slipped into a coma, and became addicted to painkillers. He died in a Minnesota hotel room, at the age of 35, of an undetected heart ailment. Benoit's secrets -- and not-so-little-secrets -- have unraveled in the week since his death. The office of his friend, Dr. Phil Astin, was raided last week. Authorities want to know what might have been in Benoit's system at the time of the apparent murder-suicide. Friends of Benoit's say it was obvious long before last weekend that the wrestler was using performance-enhancing drugs. "I don't think anybody had any illusions about whether he was on steroids," Hart says. " … just by looking at his physique and the muscle mass he had." And then there were the statements by a WWE attorney this week who said the Benoits had recently been arguing over the care of Daniel, who reportedly had Fragile X Syndrome. Many people close to Benoit, including his in-laws, said they were unaware of any mental ailment. That was typical Chris -- keeping to himself, hiding. "You've got to realize that athletes generally handle their problems physically, so we're probably not the best with relationships," says Bill Watts, a former wrestler and promoter. "But here's the problem with athletes: It's not the fear of hope or reward that guides you, it's the fear of loss. You're always trying to look for the edge, to do whatever you can to maintain it so you push all the parameters. "You can't live this persona and turn it off when you go home and read the newspaper or watch the news. It becomes you." By all accounts, Chris Benoit was just being Chris Benoit on the afternoon of June 22. He visited Astin's office, took the hour-plus ride to Carrollton, Ga., through at least two construction zones and handfuls of stops, and smiled for a fan in a picture that has been plastered all over the national media. He made plans to fly to a WWE event over the weekend. And then Benoit bound his wife's wrists and feet and strangled her. Interviews have given Ballard, the district attorney, a better idea of who the Benoits were. But they haven't answered most of the questions. "A lot of people who knew him are very complimentary of him," Ballard says. He pauses. "I wonder how well they knew him." <hr align="center" width="150"> Dinah Lawrence is a blonde-haired mother from Social Circle, Ga., who carries a metal casket on her keychain and a love of wrestling in her heart. She's made the hour-long trek here, to the Benoit house, with her 20-year-old son Chris. Elizabeth Merrill/ESPN.com
Wrestling fans Dinah Lawrence and son Chris, 20, drove to pay their respects to the Benoits. They met Chris Benoit last year during an appearance at the Mall of Georgia in Duluth.

They met Benoit more than a year ago, at the Mall of Georgia, when their hero was on a publicity stop. Most wrestlers shake a few hands and go on their way, Di says. Benoit was different. He spent 30 minutes with her, talking about everything from her studies to become a funeral director to the fact that her son shared his name. It was one of Benoit's first public appearances since the death of his good friend Eddie Guerrero, who died in another Minnesota hotel room, at 38, of heart failure. Benoit told the complete strangers about his friend, and mugged for a picture. Lawrence brought a copy of the photo to the Benoit house on Thursday, along with a hand-written note that she placed near an action figure of Benoit. "This is what I want to remember," Lawrence says as she stares at the picture. "The guy who was just … the guy next door." When police discovered the bodies on Monday, it touched off tears, finger pointing and general confusion among wrestling fans. Monday night's WWE "Raw" broadcast was supposed to focus on the fictitious death of chairman Vince McMahon, whose limousine exploded in a television scene a few weeks ago. Could the grisly stories emanating from the Atlanta area be make-believe, too? "I probably had 50 or 60 messages Monday," Mooneyham says, "and most of them weren't convinced. "That line between fact and fiction is so blurred that fans don't even know." The Benoit house is remote enough that cell phones spin from roaming to no service, but his fans keep coming. They leave potted plants, a smashed-up guitar, a baggie of uncooked macaroni. Near the gate is a note that says, "I love you." Di's note fills an entire page. "I'm so sorry you felt this was (the) solution to your problems …" it says. Every couple of minutes, a man is seen through one of the first-floor windows. It's an investigator trying to piece together last weekend. "He was like your best friend," Lawrence says. "It's hard to equate what happened in there with what we saw." <hr align="center" width="150"> The first three nights after Nancy Benoit's body was found, Jim Daus couldn't sleep. He's been remarried for nearly 20 years now, and has a job in the real world marketing propane and natural-gas products. His work takes him on the road a lot. It almost seems strange -- years after Nancy was going places he couldn't, Jim's job takes him everywhere. Nine years ago, scrambling to catch a flight in Chicago, he found a seat in the back of the plane, looked up and saw a familiar face. It was Nancy. They talked for three or four hours and reminisced. They had that kind of relationship, no bad blood, just laughs and memories and a little sadness. Jim has been to two wrestling matches since their divorce, and took his son there once. He hated it, and they've never gone back. Now, wrestling is keeping him awake, bringing him more pain. "For years, I told everybody (her discovery) was the right place at the right time," he says. "What happened to Nancy … it kind of feels like the wrong place at the wrong time. "That's why I feel bad. I pushed her into this whole thing." He wonders why she stayed and what happened in that big house on Green Meadow Lane. Maybe, he says, Nancy tried too hard to make it work. She was stubborn like that. He knew at some point, she was happy. The last time they communicated was by e-mail seven years ago, when Daniel was born. He congratulated her and remembered how they didn't want kids. But that was fantasy. This was reality. "Congratulations on your son, too," she wrote back. "I guess some things change." Elizabeth Merrill is a senior writer for ESPN.com. She can be reached at merrill2323@hotmail.com.

ESPN - Benoit lived where fact meets fiction - Gen

dirty

EOG Master

Wrestling can leave lives on the ropes
Lex Luger tumbles from fame and fortune, but still counts his blessings

By BILL TORPY
Published on: 07/01/07 Lex Luger doesn't mince words when asked about pro wrestling's appeal.
"People like to see freaks," said the former Lawrence Pfohl. "It's like live cartoon characters."
<!--endtext--><!--endclickprintinclude--><table align="left" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="175"><tbody><tr><td>
Rich Addicks/Staff
</td></tr><tr><td class="caption">Lex Luger made millions as a professional wrestler. Today, he is broke, lives with his minister, has hip and back problems, but considers himself lucky to be alive and not in jail, and strongly believes it was divine intervention that saved him. He is a member of Western Hills Baptist Church in Kennesaw.
</td></tr><tr><td>
Rich Addicks/Staff
</td></tr><tr><td class="caption">Former professional wrestler Lex Luger, 49, admits that his life had reached rock bottom, but says today he is on the mend.
</td></tr><tr><td>
File
</td></tr><tr><td class="caption">Ric Flair uses the ropes to prepare to jump on Lex Luger during a National Wrestling Alliance event at the Omni in Atlanta in 1989.
</td></tr><tr><td><table bgcolor="#cccccc" border="0" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="0" width="170"><tbody><tr><td><table bgcolor="#ffffff" border="0" cellpadding="9" cellspacing="0" width="168"><tbody><tr><td class="body"> RELATED:
Lex Luger believes old pal was in a 'dark place.'
Ex-wife describes Benoit
<!--• Reaction among fans, Fayette
• | Guest book
Wrestling big TV draw
'Magnum T.A.' shocked
--> </td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table><!--startclickprintinclude--><!--begintext--> Not long ago, Luger was 270 pounds of romping manly aggression and animalistic sex appeal. It's what his public wanted and he gave it to them in steroid-fueled, larger-than-life doses as "The Total Package," a man who borrowed his name — sort of — from Superman's arch-enemy.
But the freak show that became Luger's life nearly killed him. The man who made millions, flew in private jets and lived in mansions is now dead broke, sleeps on a used bed and keeps his clothes in neat piles on the floor.
Luger is a pro wrestling casualty, although he considers himself lucky. He recently turned 49, an age many of his friends in the business will never see.
The latest in that growing toll was Chris Benoit, the "Canadian Crippler." The 40-year-old Fayette County resident apparently strangled his wife, choked his 7-year-old son to death and placed Bibles by their bodies before hanging himself by hitching a weight machine's cable to his neck and letting drop 240 pounds.
The Benoit family's tragic end once again exposed the sordid underbelly of professional wrestling.
Luger hadn't seen Benoit in several years but believes his old friend was in a "dark place" due, in part, to the frenetic pressures of the life and many years of drugs he took to build himself up and to keep the pain at bay. Authorities found steroids in Benoit's home and are investigating whether "roid rage," an explosive fit of aggression traced to steroid abuse, had anything to do with the deaths.
Benoit is one of many who have died early.
Keith Pinckard, a medical examiner in Dallas, started logging the deaths of pro wrestlers and ex-wrestlers after his office performed an autopsy on one killed in an accident.
"It seemed bizarre," said Pinckard, "there seemed to be a lot of deaths."
There were. He found nearly 70 who died early going back nearly 20 years. It was a rate at least seven times the rate of the general population, he calculated. The causes of deaths fell in common themes: drug overdoses and heart attacks were most common, followed by suicide and "natural causes."
Vince McMahon, owner of the World Wrestling Entertainment, the federation for which Benoit and Luger wrestled, has said the organization has instituted drug testing in response to such allegations of abuse.
"The last test that Chris Benoit took of a random nature was in April which he was totally negative," McMahon said on NBC's "Today" morning program. "That doesn't mean that he wasn't taking prescription medication and perhaps even steroids when this happened. We don't know."
Wrestling's casualties
"Ravishing Rick Rude" died in 1999 after being found unconscious in his Alpharetta home with empty prescription bottles near his bed. The death of the 40-year-old (his legal name was Rood) was ruled a heart attack. He suffered a neck injury years earlier that virtually ended his career.
In "Rude's" obituary, wrestler Curt Hennig, "Mr. Perfect," memorialized his lifelong friend as a performer who gave fans what they wanted.
Four years later, Hennig, 44, was found dead in a hotel, Authorities ruled it cocaine intoxication.
In an obit for Hennig, Atlanta area wrestler Ray "Big Boss Man" Traylor Jr. noted the mounting loss of his closest friends. "It used to be me, him and Rick Rude together," Traylor said. "And then Rick died."
A year later, "Big Boss Man" died of a heart attack.
The pressures on wrestlers to perform night after night grew as the business got more lucrative as federations such as McMahon's WWE went international.
But as wrestling exploded in reach, smaller regional circuits that gave more wrestlers a living dried up.
Atlanta resident Gary Juster, a former wrestling promoter, said the old circuits needed wrestlers, men who added a shtick to their act, but were athletes first and foremost.
Then, about 25 years ago, the sport changed. "The look of a typical wrestler changed," Juster said. "It changed from wrestler to bodybuilder, that chiseled look. There wasn't as much passion for the craft."
As "The Look" became more important, steroids became more popular. "Guys did whatever they had to do to get ahead," Juster said.
The pressure increased as jobs became fewer and more lucrative, said former wrestler Rick Steiner.
"Now there's pay-per-view every week and TV every night. There's the added pressure to look good and there's 100 guys wanting what you have, so a lot of guys take the easy way out," said Steiner, who is a real estate agent and school board member in Cherokee County. "You got to be ready to go every day — and if not, there's a lot of guys ready to step in for you in a heartbeat.
"Some guys sell their souls to be on TV," said Steiner, who came up in the business with Benoit in the mid-1980s.
Steiner said he took "every supplement I could" coming up. "It wasn't a controlled substance then." But Steiner stopped. "The benefits vs. my long-term goals went different ways."
He retired several years ago when his body started aching and he was asked to go back on the road 20 days a month. It was a scary moment. "There's no pension, it's what you save, " he said. "It's over and that's it. Once you are in the limelight and get a taste of the crowd, [some wrestlers] can't let it go. A lot of guys have trouble making that transition."
As is Lex Luger.
Seeking stability
Luger, a Buffalo native, banged around in the Canadian Football League and the United States Football League as an offensive lineman before trying his hand in a Florida wrestling circuit.
Luger still looks good as he sits behind a desk at Western Hills Baptist Church in Kennesaw. His face is tanned and heavily creased, the body lean and his biceps still resemble bowling balls.
But when he gets up to walk, he hobbles like he's 80. He has put in for hip surgery with Social Security.
Luger was as big as they came in the 1990s and rolled through millions of dollars, he said.
Life on the circuit was exciting and exhausting. Some years he was on the road 300 days a year. There were 5 a.m. flights, daytime gym work, shows at night, parties in some hotel or penthouse.
And then repeat again and again.
He needed help to keep up with the pace.
"Steroids were there as a shortcut to get size," he said. And then there's the pain from the never-ending body slams and pile drivers. "You start with a painkiller for bumps and bruises. And then you need more. It's never enough."
Those on the circuit were a family, "a dysfunctional family" he said. Everyone wants a piece of a superstar. "There's a lot of leeches, losers, cruisers and abusers."
"I found no matter how hard you chase it, it's never quite enough," he said. "Money makes you more comfortable being miserable."
Luger's fall was hard and quick. He got divorced and in 2003 he made an early morning call to Cobb County 911 saying his girlfriend, Elizabeth Hulette, known on the wrestling circuit as Miss Elizabeth, had passed out.
She was taken to Kennestone Hospital, where she died. The autopsy showed a mix of alcohol, painkillers and tranquilizers in her system.
He was arrested for possessing three kinds of steroids found in the home. Later, he got a DUI. "My life had fallen apart and I still didn't get it," he said.
A judge sentenced him to probation and revoked it in late 2005 when he went to Canada for a work appearance without court approval. An arrest and two strip searches later, the former Total Package was back in Cobb County Jail.
Luger credits Steve Baskin, the pastor of Western Hills Baptist, with pulling him from a terminal tailspin. The jail chaplain met Luger in early 2006 and sensed the former wrestler was spiritually wounded.
"Here's a guy who would have died or gone to prison," said Baskin. "He didn't have the skills to negotiate through his probation." Baskin said Luger had never learned to think for himself well enough to handle "regular" life experiences.
After Luger was freed, Baskin's friends — Doc Frady, pastor of Clarkdale First Baptist, and his wife, Jan — invited Luger to their home for a birthday party.
Luger learned the couple had been married 54 years and had lived in the same house for much of that time.
"It brought tears to my eyes," Luger recalls. "I didn't even know people like that existed anymore."
Luger lives in a spare bedroom in Baskin's apartment and is trying to figure out a path in life.
He'd like to help counsel those in trouble. Or maybe be a fitness coach. He even said he'd take clients out to the supermarket and show them what to buy. He's eager. He's uncertain. To him, regular life is a new business.

dirty

EOG Master

Benoit took 'date-rape drug'

Sources: Wrestler mixed GHB & steroids

BY CHRISTIAN RED
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER
Sunday, July 1st 2007, 4:00 AM
<form action="/nydn/emailArticle.do" target="elastic" method="post" id="emailarticle" name="emailArticleForm"> <!-- hidden values for email --> <input name="storyUrl" value="/sports/more_sports/2007/07/01/2007-07-01_benoit_took_daterape_drug.html" type="hidden"> <input name="subject" value="Benoit took 'date-rape drug'" type="hidden"> <input name="storyAuthor" value="BY CHRISTIAN RED DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER " type="hidden"> <input name="storyPublishDate" value="2007-07-01" type="hidden"> <input name="storySource" value="CMS" type="hidden"> <input name="storySection" value="MoreSports" type="hidden"> <input name="storyDesc" value="When authorities raided the Georgia home of wrestler Chris Benoit last week, they discovered a stockpile of anabolic steroids and prescription drugs, enough to spark the theory that Benoit descended into a violent "roid rage."" type="hidden"> </form> <hr> Wrestler Chris Benoit, who cops say killed his wife and 7-year-old son before hanging himself, was abusing GHB (aka the "date-rape drug"), not to mention steroids, according to sources.

<hr class="access"> When authorities raided the Georgia home of wrestler Chris Benoit last week, they discovered a stockpile of anabolic steroids and prescription drugs, enough to spark the theory that Benoit descended into a violent "roid rage" and, police say, murdered his wife and 7-year-old son and then killed himself. But in the wake of the lurid events that played out in suburban Atlanta last weekend, the Daily News has learned that another drug may have been part of a deadly cocktail that could have caused Benoit to snap. According to sources familiar with his drug regimen, Benoit was a known abuser of the drug gamma-hydroxybutyrate - or GHB, also known as the "date-rape drug." Benoit was known to have used GHB with former wrestler "Gentleman" Chris Adams when both men competed for the now-defunct World Championship Wrestling (WCW) in the late '90s. They used the drug together until Adams' death in 2001, according to sources who knew both men, and friends say Benoit was still using it as recently as two years ago. "Benoit was a GHB user and he did it with Chris Adams," the source told The News. "The question is, does GHB use play into what happened (in Fayetteville)?" Authorities are still waiting for toxicology results on Benoit - whose stage name was "The Canadian Crippler" - but would be unable to detect GHB in his system without a complicated test conducted on his hair sample. Still, Benoit's past use of GHB opens up the seamy side of the wrestling world - one filled with hulking men who pile-drive their opponents while scantily clad women parade nearby. Professional wrestling is a "sport" that has long been saddled with accusations of rampant steroid and drug use. "Everybody in the wrestling business had a liking for GHB back (in the '90s)," says a Benoit family friend. "The whole business was on it." GHB, which increases sexual prowess and boosts energy among other effects, is a Schedule I controlled substance commonly referred to as the "date-rape drug" and is illegal. The Benoit family friend corresponded with Nancy Benoit just weeks before her death but noticed nothing unusual. "She told me, 'I'm driving Chris crazy, but it's a short trip,'" the friend says with a laugh. "I don't think this is a monster acting out. I really don't buy that." The same cannot be said for the British-born Adams, who was indicted on manslaughter charges after his girlfriend, Linda Kaphengst, died of a GHB-alcohol overdose in April 2000. But before Adams could stand trial, he was involved in a violent scuffle with friend Brent Parnell, before Parnell shot Adams to death with a .38-caliber gun in late 2001 near Dallas. Mickey Grant, a Texas-based filmmaker who recently completed a documentary on Adams, says that "both Chris's (Adams and Benoit) were friends at WCW" and that another wrestler confided to Grant that Benoit and Adams were "G buddies," a reference to GHB's common street name. Grant, who knew Adams for over two decades, says he never saw the two wrestlers using the drug, but was devastated by Adams' "life gone to hell" as a result of his GHB addiction. "G, in my opinion, is a far worse drug than even crack (cocaine)," says Grant. In the Benoit case, authorities found Nancy with her feet and wrists bound, and indications are Benoit used a chord to strangle her while applying his knee to her back. Daniel was suffocated. After the murders, Benoit reportedly placed a Bible next to each body and later hung himself using a weight-machine pulley in his workout room. If Benoit was indeed still using GHB - or if he was trying to kick a habit and suffering from withdrawal - it is likely he would have become violent. "You see guys that are on (GHB) who go on rages," says Trinka Porrata, a retired Los Angeles police detective who is president of the non-profit Project GHB and who has counseled and detoxed GHB addicts, including several professional wrestlers. "But another possibility, which is more likely, is GHB withdrawal. If (Benoit) tried to stop using it and went into withdrawal, that would explain the bizarre behavior - the text messages, the Bible and the suicide especially. You can suffer a terrible depression coming off this stuff. It's not a quit cold turkey drug." Porrata adds that it is not uncommon for GHB users to add methamphetamine into the mix, and that meth abuse often contributes to bizarre acts involving religion. "The question everybody asks is, 'How in the hell could you kill your son?' Well, in a meth psychosis, your son could be the devil. That can happen quite easily," says Porrata. Benoit composed a bizarre series of text messages to several colleagues during the weekend of his killing spree, including one where he wrote out his full, formal Georgia address. In another, he stated that "the dogs are in the enclosed pool area. Garage side door is open." In a voice mail to a colleague, Benoit said "I love you," which the colleague said was "out of context." Porrata says that the more severe state of GHB withdrawal - as opposed to addiction - requires at least a 14-day detox period under the care of a physician or health professional. She says the suffering is more intense and debilitating than coming off a heroin addiction. "There's sweating, your blood pressure rises in days one and two," Porrata says. "Then the psychosis starts. Days four, five and six are the worst. You hallucinate and there can often be violence accompanied with it. By day 11, the head starts to clear, but you are left with an intense depression." The Georgia medical offices of Benoit's personal physician, Dr. Phil Astin, were raided by Drug Enforcement Agency agents Thursday, but the records remain sealed. Astin has stated that he has prescribed testosterone to Benoit, who had low levels attributed to rampant steroid use. Fayette County District Attorney Scott Ballard and Lt. Tommy Pope of the Fayette County Sheriff's Office did not return calls from The News, and it is unclear if authorities were planning to test Benoit for GHB use. Many law enforcement agencies, Porrata says, still fail to administer the test. Michael Benoit, the wrestler's father, said last week that he hopes toxicology tests will help explain his son's actions. Says Porrata: "We try to put things in our own terms, 'Well, I couldn't kill my own child.' Yeah, but if you were on GHB or were psychotic, a mental illness or (something) drug-induced, it's not a rational act. It doesn't excuse it, but you can't explain it on your own moral values."
Related Articles

1. Benoit slay hoaxer grilled

Sources: Wrestler mixed GHB & steroids

The General

I've read every word in this thread. I keep wondering if the pro wrestling community (fans and employees) can just continue on with normalcy ever again. They have in the past and I reckon if the fans keep coming, then they will move on just as before as well.

frankjohnson

EOG Dedicated

'How in the hell could you kill your son?' Well, in a meth psychosis, your son could be the devil. - (found in a lengthy cut and past job herein)

All these excuses for this pos keep getting posted. It's starting to sound like necrophilia to me. Let's just empty out death row in all the prisons cause most of the trash languishing there are cranksters.

I've read every word in this thread. I keep wondering if the pro wrestling community (fans and employees) can just continue on with normalcy ever again. They have in the past and I reckon if the fans keep coming, then they will move on just as before as well.

It has its differences from other tragedies that have happened, but life will go on for wrestling as with other setbacks that have happened. Even all the drugs/steroids talk will not stop anything.

The General

Frankjohnson, how do you explain your agreement with my posting about "Whom am I to judge?", but yet you continue to seemingly want to judge and jury yourself?

dirty

EOG Master

Other Voices
Benoit's shocking death raises question of fans' complicity

Originally published June 30, 2007

This might be hard for non-wrestling fans to understand, but to those who loved Chris Benoit's work, his grisly double-killing and suicide was as shocking as if Peyton Manning or Tim Duncan or Derek Jeter had committed the same acts.

He was that good at what he did and that respected by fans and peers for doing everything the right way. As such, accounts of the way he strangled his wife, smothered his child and hanged himself are as disturbing as any I've encountered. They raise countless questions about drugs, the vagaries of the mind and our propensity for glorifying risk. They offer answers to none of them.
First off, shame on all the news hosts who've spent the past few days screaming "'roid rage," as if there's ever a simple explanation when a man kills his family and himself.
The sad episode does raise questions about links between steroid use, the frenetic lifestyle of wrestlers and mental instability. Benoit's employer, World Wrestling Entertainment, has tried to steer coverage away from his possible steroid use (authorities found prescribed anabolic steroids while searching his home).
The deliberate nature of his actions suggested anything but a rage, the company said in a news release. Chairman Vince McMahon reiterated that position on NBC's Today show, noting that Benoit tested negative for drug use in April.
The company's points may be true as far as they go (though McMahon failed to acknowledge loopholes in the testing policy that allow steroid use with a prescription). But depression is much more common among steroid users than "'roid rage," said Dr. William Howard, founder of Union Memorial Sports Medicine.
"That's by far the most common psychological side effect of steroid use," he said. "You'll find an amazing number of these users having domestic problems related to depression."
Former wrestler Chris Nowinski, a spokesman on the dangers of concussions, has suggested that Benoit might have suffered brain trauma. One of Benoit's signature moves was a diving head butt off the top rope.
Whatever the cause, his end left different feelings from those that followed past tragedies in the profession.
There is a stereotypical wrestler death. Benoit's great friend and rival, Eddie Guerrero, demonstrated it two years ago when he was found dead of a heart attack in his hotel room on the day he was to win the world championship.
Fans mourned Guerrero, remembering his astonishing bag of physical tricks and the outlaw mirth in his eyes and smile. But given his long history of steroid and pain-pill use, his lonely death at 38 fit expectations. It echoed those of so many contemporaries, including Brian Pillman, Curt Hennig and Davey Boy Smith.
Benoit's death proved far more disquieting, especially given that he was the model wrestler.
In the ring, he could do anything, appearing just as comfortable in a fast-paced match full of intricate moves as in a pitched brawl dominated by bruising kicks and skin-busting head butts.
He never missed a date or loafed through a performance. He came off as reserved but unfailingly appreciative of those who enjoyed his work. He enforced tradition and respect in the locker room.
Even his suspected steroid use seemed understandable. He was 5 feet 10 and had a body meant for 170 or 180 pounds. But he fell in love with a business in which the most glorified performers stood well over 6 feet and packed 250 to 300 muscular pounds.
Benoit acknowledged the pressure over the years, once telling the Pro Wrestling Torch newsletter that steroids for wrestlers were like cigarettes in the 1950s. Many used them, and few contemplated the risks.
That was Benoit's context, one in which stoic men loved their craft so much that they warped and eventually broke their bodies. When he won the world title at Wrestlemania, fans cried and cheered because the moment seemed to suggest that passion and work and resilience might be enough in this life.
That his wife, Nancy, had filed for divorce and a restraining order less than a year earlier (she later dropped both filings) wasn't known to fans. In fact, he invited his family into the ring to celebrate and often spoke of how he wanted to get home more often.

All of that explains why fans feel so shaken. We don't know that wrestling led Benoit to the terrible events of last weekend. We will never know what ran through his mind.

Some people dismiss wrestling all too easily because of its carnival roots and ridiculous plots. But really, what's so rational about dressing up in colored armor and beating your fellow man as half-naked women cheer you on at the coliseum? I've just described the nation's most popular sport, professional football. And we know that football shatters the bodies of its greatest heroes. Johnny Unitas' scarred knees and gnarled hands told us so.
We know that tens of thousands of punches to the head slow the steps and slur the words of courageous boxers. We're reminded every time Muhammad Ali appears in public.
We know that a car traveling 200 mph can spin out of control even when guided by the most skilled hand. Dale Earnhardt's demise at Daytona attested to that.
No, it won't do to dismiss the implications of Benoit's death simply because he was a wrestler.
As a culture, we've decided that consenting adults are allowed to push themselves past safe limits for our entertainment. Drug testing and better medical care and safety precautions can lessen many of these risks but cannot stamp them out.
I don't know about you, but when a boxer loses his life in the ring, or a football player is crippled, or a wrestler turns up dead in his hotel room, I feel complicit.
If I know these acts are so destructive, why do I watch? Do I lack the moral fortitude to look past my desire to be entertained? I fear the answer is yes.
In the past few days, scores of wrestling fans have said on message boards that Benoit's death will kill their love of the spectacle. Many more have said that one man's deranged acts shouldn't end an art loved by so many. I agree with the latter, and yet I wonder.

Baltimore, Maryland, national and world news, jobs, real estate | baltimoresun.com

Benoit's shocking death raises question of fans' complicity - baltimoresun.com

dirty

EOG Master

ABOUT WHAT I SAID AND WHY ON FOX'S "THE LINEUP" PROGRAM ...
<table width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td valign="top"> By: Bill Apter
7/2/2007 12:45:56 AM </td> <td align="right" valign="top">
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> After my appearance on FOX NEWS' "LINEUP" program last night, several websites have written that I said I did not believe [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]Chris [COLOR=blue ! important]Benoit[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] killed his son Daniel. What I actually said -- or took exception to and mentioned it on the show -- are the [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]TV[/COLOR][/COLOR] reports that Chris killed his son with a [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]wrestling[/COLOR][/COLOR] chokehold! I don't know for sure how poor Daniel's life was snuffed out, but a wrestling chokehold? Nah! That just sounds to me like disgusting TV tabloid junk!
I also questioned why we have not found out why, in just a few short hours after the grizzly discovery, it was ruled a "double-murder-suicide." When I was asked by the show's interviewer Kimberly Guilfoyle what I think will come out next in this bizarre tragedy I said "They will probably find the murderer!"
Through the endless reports of this whole terrible incident, has anyone come out and given the pure facts of why it was ruled a "double-murder-suicide" so very quickly?
That question prompted Kimberly Guilfoyle to ponder why she has not heard those facts either.
I am not going in another direction in this case, but I think what I am wondering is something many of you reading this are asking as well.
Thanks for your time!--Bill Apter

frankjohnson

EOG Dedicated

Frankjohnson, how do you explain your agreement with my posting about "Whom am I to judge?", but yet you continue to seemingly want to judge and jury yourself?

My feelings on the subject, and the answer to your question, are found on page 7 of this thread in a number of my posts. When I consider the source of these cut and paste jobs which amount to explanations and excuses from Dirty who's never cut anyone any slack before the word hipocrisy screams out. You know damn well guys in prison wouldn't have been making excuses. He'd have been hammered, passed around, and probably off'd.

dirty

EOG Master

Hey Frankie Pooh

:+waving-2:+waving-2:+waving-2

have a great time getting off to bashing me all week...:+textinb3:+textinb3:+textinb3

frankjohnson

EOG Dedicated

'How in the hell could you kill your son?' Well, in a meth psychosis, your son could be the devil. - (found in a lengthy cut and past job herein)

All these excuses for this pos keep getting posted. It's starting to sound like necrophilia to me. Let's just empty out death row in all the prisons cause most of the trash languishing there are cranksters.

I wonder what percentage of cranksters and steroid users actually kill their wife and child. Not many but let's give the ones that dirty idolizes a break.

dirty

EOG Master

Another Zinger :+excited-:+excited-:+excited-

Don't know if I will be able to go on with my Day... I am totally devastated :(

frankjohnson

EOG Dedicated

Another Zinger :+excited-:+excited-:+excited-

Don't know if I will be able to go on with my Day... I am totally devastated :(

You'd really be devastated if you read the WWE fan profile I saw recently. I've seen your picture, I've read your posts, and you are a perfect fit though I don't know how much beer you drink.

The General

Any chance we can just continue to discuss the incident and leave the Frankjohnson hardon for dirty out of this?

dirty

EOG Master

I find it odd that the Police have said very little even here in the local Media... No details about much.... I think they are treating it as a Murder suicide, but they don't know for sure... This is a Weird case that we may never know exactly what happened. Terrible tragedy no matter how you look at it... In no way am I saying Benoit is Innocent, but I find the Police department's silence to be very unsettling... and with Nancy's Family saying there was nothing wrong with Daniel... and they had contact with him almost every day.... something just doesn't seem right here .....

dirty

EOG Master

Don't read it then Frank... all you have done most of this thread is bash me or general...

frankjohnson

EOG Dedicated

Don't read it then Frank... all you have done most of this thread is bash me or general...

Had you not been the most hard ass "cut no one no slack" EVER guy i'd have never said a word. I might even have agreed with the drug excuse contained in your cut and paste posts. As it is what is revealed is a pathology which really has little to do with consistency or even the very words you routinely offer in condemnation of all that is compassionate and caring.

The General

Chris's Doctor has turned himself into authorities and will be charged with crimes being reported on CNN.

Chris's Doctor has turned himself into authorities and will be charged with crimes being reported on CNN.

Wrestler's doc surrenders to feds in drug probe

<!--endclickprintinclude--><!--startclickprintinclude-->
  • ATLANTA, Georgia (AP) -- The personal doctor of pro wrestler Chris Benoit surrendered to authorities to face a federal charge in connection with a drug probe, the physician's attorney said.
<!--startclickprintexclude--><!-- REAP --><!-- PURGE: /2007/US/07/02/wrestler.ap/art.benoit.ap.jpg --><!-- KEEP --><!----><!--===========IMAGE============--> <!--===========/IMAGE===========--> <!--===========CAPTION==========-->Chris Benoit, a 22-year pro-wrestling veteran, was found dead with his wife and young son on Monday.<!--===========/CAPTION=========-->

<!-- /PURGE: /2007/US/07/02/wrestler.ap/art.benoit.ap.jpg --><!-- /REAP --><!--endclickprintexclude-->Attorney Manny Arora said Dr. Phil Astin will face a single charge involving improperly prescribing medication at a hearing later Monday.
Federal drug agents have taken over the probe into whether Astin improperly prescribed testosterone and other drugs to Benoit before he killed his wife and son and committed suicide in his suburban Atlanta home last month.
State prosecutors and sheriff's officials are overseeing the death investigation.
Fayette County District Attorney Scott Ballard told The AP on Monday he had no plans to file state charges in the case.
Authorities have said Benoit strangled his wife and 7-year-old son, placing Bibles next to their bodies, before hanging himself on the cable of a weight-machine in his home.
<!--startclickprintexclude-->Among other things, investigators who conducted the two raids at Astin's office were looking for Benoit's medical records to see whether he had been prescribed steroids and, if so, whether that prescription was appropriate, according to a law enforcement official speaking on condition of anonymity because records in the case remain sealed.

Astin prescribed testosterone for Benoit, a longtime friend, in the past but has not said what, if any, medications he prescribed when Benoit visited his office June 22, the day authorities believe Benoit killed his wife.
Meanwhile, toxicology tests on Benoit's body have not yet been completed, Ballard said.
Anabolic steroids were found in Benoit's home, leading officials to wonder whether the drugs played a role in the killings. Some experts believe steroids can cause paranoia, depression and violent outbursts known as "roid rage."
Ballard said finding a motive in the case remains elusive.
"I think it will always be undetermined as to 'Why?"' Ballard said. "I think it's because there can't be any satisfactory reason why you kill a 7-year-old."

Minor charge it seems, improper prescribing?

Might be one of those things where they get him on a small charge at first while they investigate for bigger stuff. Kind of like when they arrest John Gotti for something like tax evasion when they really want to build big murder charges.

The General

Maybe enough to get his license even. We will see and you are correct as he being a friend of the wrestler, he may have aided others. Speculation of course.

frankjohnson

EOG Dedicated

The difference between steroid users barry bonds and chris benoit is that one wiped out records and one wiped out his family.