Lance Briggs will be gone by Sat.

d ray

EOG Dedicated
Being a Bear fan I am following this story closely. Word has it the Bears are already asking other teams if they are intersted in the 6th pick in the draft, the 'skins currently have that pick. The Bears recently turned down an offer from Washington to swap 1st round picks. Looks like the Bears might be changing their minds. Tampa Bay is now also asking about Briggs, they hold the 4th overall pick. This is just my assumption, i don't think TB gives up the 4th pick though, unless maybe the Bears give something more with the chance of landing Calvin. 3 other teams currently asking about Briggs : Giants, Broncos and Bills. Looks like Briggs will have a new team come Sat.

Re: Lance Briggs will be gone by Sat.

Another wasted draft pick the Bears are happy to unload. And I thought Urlacher was overrated, wow this guy was as well.

d ray

EOG Dedicated

Agree with Briggs being overrated, not urlacher.

Yeah I kinda like Brian, he has a neat haircut. And bangin strippers is a plus.

Another wasted draft pick the Bears are happy to unload. And I thought Urlacher was overrated, wow this guy was as well.

Agree with Briggs being overrated, not urlacher.

Are you guys kidding me? A wasted pick?? BRIGGS is the one who wants out and refuses to play another down for Cicago, and I don't blame him. Having to constantly play second fiddle (both with respect and $$$) to an inferior Urlacher sucks.

Just wait and see how tough the Bears linebackers are going to be w/o him. Urlcher will be exposed. And hopefully, on his own, Briggs will show what a difference he makes.

Lovee's love affair with Urlacher and Grossman, especially Grossman, makes me sick.

Not looking forward to next year.:hung

Bear LB crew was better without that guy. He has the IQ of a grapefruit. Threw a charity spelling bee at his kids 2nd grade class and he was one of the 1st out.

Should go back to school

So this guy is a liar?
More hype than hits: Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher is very good, but not as good as you think. And according to a panel of experts, he is the most overrated player in the NFL
Sporting News, The, Dec 20, 2004 by Dennis Dillon

Find More Results for: "sporting news most overrated linebacker "
INSIDE THE NFL: Bears'...
SI poll: Urlacher...
Urlacher fits Bears'...
The all-overrated team
Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher is a very good, but not as good as you think.

Brian Urlacher is the most overrated player in the NFL.

After you've stopped choking on your morning muffin, consider the impact of those words. How can anyone hang that label on a player who has been voted to the Pro Bowl in each of his first four seasons? If you don't want to take our word for it, perhaps the experts will sway you.

The SPORTING NEWS polled eight NFL scouts (one from each division) and two TV analysts, and asked them to select an entire team of overrated players. Urlacher received five votes at linebacker and three first-place votes as the most overrated player overall. There was no ballot for the vote, so it was striking that three singled out Urlacher.

"They don't know what the crap they're talking about," says Lovie Smith, the Bears' first-year coach. "He's one of the best players in the National Football League. I thought that before I got here; I'm totally convinced of it now that I am here. I'll challenge anybody who says anything different."

Advertisement

This raised skepticism on our part, too, so we solicited opinions from a dozen more NFL scouts. Among that group, four agree the Bears' middle linebacker is overrated, and five say he isn't. Of the remaining three, one says his staff would have regarded Urlacher as overrated before watching tape of his outstanding performance in Week 13 against the Vikings; one says he is a good player, "but I don't think he's among the elite," and the third straddles the fence, adding, "I remember Urlacher making plays where I said, 'Holy smoke!'"

No one is denying Urlacher is one of the best linebackers in the league. "Let me put it this way," says one AFC scout. "If he were available, I would want him on my team as our middle linebacker." But if overrated refers to a player whose hype overshadows his performance or whose reputation is greater than the reality of his play, Urlacher fits the description, according to several scouts.

These are the reasons some think Urlacher is overrated:

* He needs to be shielded by defensive tackles who can keep offensive linemen off him. In 2001, Urlacher's second season, wide bodies Ted Washington and Keith Traylor were the defensive tackles. The Bears went 13-3, made their only playoff appearance since 1994 and Urlacher was "all-world," according to one scout.

But when he gets engulfed by bigger offensive linemen who impede his path, Urlacher struggles to make plays. "He's definitely not the same player he was when he had the fat guys in front of him," says one scout.

* He takes himself out of too many plays. On running plays, Urlacher has trouble stacking and shedding offensive linemen, so he often tries to go around the blocks. That creates a hole for the runner, who waits for Urlacher to commit himself and then goes the other way.

* Urlacher should make more plays for the money he's being paid (a nine-year, $54 million package with a $14 million bonus). Last year, he wasn't involved in a single turnover--a shocking statistic for someone who is supposed to be his team's best defensive player. He has one interception and two forced fumbles in nine games this season.

* You hear some scouts say one of the strengths of Ravens inside linebacker Ray Lewis is he makes the other 10 players on defense better. You don't hear that about Urlacher. In Urlacher's first four seasons, the Bears finished among the league's top 10 teams in the three defensive categories (overall, run, pass) just once. In the same period, the Ravens finished in the top 10 nine times in those categories.

* A fan watching the highlights on SportsCenter will see Urlacher make a spectacular play or two and go, "Wow!" A scout who studies an entire tape of the same game will see the linebacker commit several mistakes and go, "Hmmm."

"I've heard those things they said about how he needs big tackles in front of him and he can't get off blocks," says Smith. "Whoever would make that statement does not know Brian Urlacher. The guy knows how to get off blocks as well as anyone."

Under Smith, the Bears have changed their defense. They have switched from a two-gap, read-and-react scheme to a one-gap, penetrating style. The defensive linemen are lighter and quicker. Instead of moving along the line of scrimmage later ally, trying to occupy offensive linemen, their priority is to rush upfield. It is a linebacker-friendly defense because in addition to making tackles, all of the linebackers have opportunities to make big plays by blitzing or dropping into coverage.

Urlacher has excelled in this defense, weakening the argument that he needs massive bodyguards in front of him. Despite missing two games early in the season with a hamstring injury and two more games in late November because of a calf injury that required emergency surgery, he is putting up impressive numbers. In addition to the interception and two forced fumbles, he has six passes defensed, five sacks, four quarterback pressures and eight tackles for loss. Unofficially, he has 45 tackles and 40 assists. Those might be his final stats, too; a hamstring injury late in last Sunday's loss to Jacksonville might end Urlacher's season.

Last game I went to at Soldier field I collect one of these. Last true linebacker great playing for the Bears. Urlacher couldnt carry Mike's jock strap.

Last edited:

Just wait and see how tough the Bears linebackers are going to be w/o him. Urlcher will be exposed.

Thats the same thing they said about Rosevelt Colvin. Maybe Urlacher makes the linebackers around him better?

If they are so happy to unload him why did they put the franchise tag on him requiring them to pay him $7M for the year if he shows up??? That sort of coin can buy you a whole lot of NFL linebackers.

They was just teasing him. They never would have paid out. Fucking McCaskey's throw nickels around like they are manhole covers.........LOL

mofome

Banned

Just wait and see how tough the Bears linebackers are going to be w/o him. Urlcher will be exposed. .

the last thing the rest of the league wants is urlacher to be exposed. he is the best defensive player in football. nfl coaches that play against him say as much.

Urlacher is the best defensive player in the league.
surpprised to hear you say that
Thats the same thing they said about Rosevelt Colvin. Maybe Urlacher makes the linebackers around him better?
quite possibly, Jrock. He does understand the Bears defens scheme and those of the opposing offense very well, and always knows where players should be. you're right he is a good leader. I was a little rough
the last thing the rest of the league wants is urlacher to be exposed. he is the best defensive player in football. nfl coaches that play against him say as much.
I was a little rough on him, but best defensive player?:rolleyes: When the NFL surveyed players around the league last year, Briggs was much more feared than Urlacher right? I didn't know about the coaches poll, but as much as Urlacher understands schemes, kinda makes sense. Too bad he has problem executing.
I should admit though, that Urlachers performance against the Cardinals last year was one of the best I've seen. Kinda like Bob Sanders superbowl performane but even better.

Briggs has the IQ of a grapefruit. Threw a charity spelling bee at his kids 2nd grade class and he was one of the 1st out.

:LMAO Was not aware :LMAO

Really hope Bears get a good replacement:smokesmal

Anyone know who they're looking at?