Calvin Johnson Runs 4.35 At Combine

Hache Man

"Seven Days Without Gambling Makes One Weak"
Exactly why I was pissed when Cleveland won the coin flip over my Tampa Bay Bucs for the 3rd pick in draft instead of 4th.

Man I hope he's there at #4........

<TABLE width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR><TD class=vaLabel vAlign=top align=middle width=100 rowSpan=5> </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD class=subHead vAlign=top colSpan=3>Calvin Johnson runs 4.35 at Combine </TD><!--<td rowspan=50 width=200 valign=top>

</td> --></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD class=vaLabel colSpan=3>Calvin Johnson - WR - CLG - Feb. 25 - 11:06 a.m. ET</B> </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top colSpan=3>Calvin Johnson surprisingly ran the forty at the Combine Sunday, and burned it up with a 4.35.
Ridiculous. We know that Johnson was supposed to run a time like this, but it still seems impossible that a 6'5, 239-pound man can move so fast. Johnson won't make it past the fourth pick in the draft, and we still think there's a decent chance he'll wind up in the top spot.Feb. 25 - 11:06 a.m. ET
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

dirty

EOG Master
Re: Calvin Johnson Runs 4.35 At Combine

what I am hearing in ATL is that he will fall to the 4th pick...cleveland is not showing alot of interes

dirty

EOG Master

Q&A with ex-Tech star Johnson

By D. ORLANDO LEDBETTER
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 02/25/07 Indianapolis — Georgia Tech wide receiver Calvin Johnson, a projected top five pick in the NFL draft, spoke with the national NFL media on Saturday at the combine workouts.
Here's how his Q&A session went after he was measured at 6-foot-5 inches and 239-pounds:
<!--endtext--><!--endclickprintinclude--><table align="left" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="175"><tbody><tr><td><table bgcolor="#cccccc" border="0" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="0" width="170"><tbody><tr><td><table bgcolor="#ffffff" border="0" cellpadding="9" cellspacing="0" width="168"><tbody><tr><td class="body">RELATED STORIES • More Tech coverage
</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table><!--startclickprintinclude--><!--begintext--> Q: Could you talk about your upbringing. I know your parents are very religious and you had a very solid upbringing, how important was that?
A: It was real important. My parents and my sisters and brothers have been with me throughout my whole football career. Whether if it be high school and then on to college. They are at every game supporting me. They?ve played a major role in my upbringing.
Q: What is it that makes you so effective? Size? Speed?
A: Definitely, the combination of my size, speed and my strength and then my willingness to help out whatever team takes me. I believe those things combine to help me be the ultimate player on the next level.
Q: Which team would be the best fit?
A: I'm not saying anything about any particular team right now. I'm still in the process of interviewing with all of the teams. I haven't talked to everybody yet. Whenever the times come, as the time gets closer to the draft I will have a better ideal where I'll fit best and who will be out there to take me.
Q: How difficult was the decision to come out early?
A: It was real difficult leaving my teammates behind. I love those guys. Then leaving the coaches, but I had to make the best decision for me and my family. So that's why I decided to come out.
Q: How was that finalized? Was it a gradual process?
A: I would say that it was a gradual process. Toward the end of the last season and leading up to the (Gator) Bowl game.
Q: There is a lot of talk that you're the best player in the draft overall. Do you feel that way?
A: I definitely feel that way.
Q: What makes you stand out?
A: I'm standing right in front of you. Not many people have my size, speed and strength. So those are the things.
Q: Who do you compare yourself to in the NFL? Who are you like physically?
A: I get that a lot. Randy Moss and T.O., but my character on the field is like Marvin Harrison. I?m just a guy that gets the job done. I'm more so like Marvin Harrison with his attitude.
Q: What do you think about players like that, who seem to put themselves above the team. You seem to be on the opposite end of that pole.
A: I don't believe that it?s just all about themselves. It?s just entertainment I believe and it's good for the game.
Q: You ever complain about not getting the ball enough?
A: I'm not the one to complain. If I see something in the defense I'll go talk to my coach on the sidelines and we?ll go from there.
Q: What makes you so sure that you're the right player for anybody?
A: Teams just go for whatever fits them best. If I?m not the best fit for the team or they need a quarterback or whatever, I have nothing to do with that.
Q: What's your meeting schedule?
A: I've met with some teams since I've been here. The whole process is going real well.
Q: How about your blocking?
A: No problem. I?m a big guy. I'm going to go out there and block. That's what I've done since high school. It was emphasized in high school and in college.
Q: (Not audible, but was about dropping his hips and running his routes)
A: I played this past season at 235 and I got up to 238. I played at that weight all season, so it?s not a problem. I?m working out down in Orlando. I?m working out with Tom Shaw and we have a receivers coach in Torrance Small. He?s helping (me) out a lot of with running routes and the way they'll be run in the NFL.
Q: Does dropping your hips and running come naturally to you?
A: It's not a problem. It?s natural. Not a problem.
Q: How are you with getting off jams at the line of scrimmage?
A: Like I said, down there with Torrance Small we've been working on that a ton. He was great at doing that himself. It?s just a matter of getting your hands up and don't let them in at your arms. Take your time. Let them attack and then make your move from there.
Q: I heard that at an early workout that you actually jumped higher than the pole that allows you to measure? Is that true?
A: That was last summer. Last summer I hit the top when I was doing my vertical. I'm sure that I can do more now.
Q: How high was it?
A: It was a 45 (inch vertical jump)
Q: Is your goal to be the No. 1 pick overall?
A: My goal is just to go out help any team that needs me. Get to the playoffs and go for there.
Q: Would you like to be the No. 1 pick?
A: I?d love to be No. 1, definitely.
Q: In terms of the workouts and preparations for this week, what do you feel that you've made the most progress on in specific drills?
A: From working out down in Orlando, Tom Shaw specializes in the 40 (yard dash). I've shown a lot of improvement on my starts. That's one of the biggest parts of running the 40. I?ve showed a lot of progress and I would say that would be my biggest improvement.
Q: Do you have any goals for the 40?
A: I'm definitely going to run a 4.4, no doubt. I'm trying to get down to 4.3. (Johnson reportedly has run a 4.33 in Orlando.)
Q: With so many physical gifts, how do you keep your work ethic?
A: I guess it's just natural. I?m just a hard working and that's the way I've been. I'm always going to be in the weight room. Teams ask me a lot, what will I be doing in the offseason. I say, 'I'll be in the weight room.' I believe that staying in the weight room helps you prevent injuries.
Q: How frustrating was the Clemson game?
A: It was real frustrating. Not having any catches. It was just some mis-communications on the field. It's over with now, but at the time it was real frustrating. I never lashed out at anybody. I never said anything bad about anybody. Or that anybody wasn't doing the right thing or anything. It was just that the timing and everything wasn't down for that game.
Q: Were there balls thrown to you?
A: There were balls thrown to me, yes.
Q: How was your meeting with the (Tampa Bay) Bucs coaches?
A: It went real well. All of my meetings I felt went well. I'm not going to get into how or what I think. I know they are like fourth on the board. I'll just say that the meeting went well.
Q: Are you going to work out?
A: I don't plan to work out. My pro day is March 15th and I plan to do everything there.
Q: Why not work out?
A: Um, just decided not to.
Q: Calvin how will you try to convince teams that $15 or $20 million dollars before you step on the field won't change you?
A: I've been through a lot at Tech. I know that putting a lot of money in your pockets is different. But from all of the success that I've had a Tech, nobody has seemed to change me at Tech. I just know that I'm not going to be changing. I'm me. Money is not going to do anything for me. It will do something for me, but it's not going to change me.
Q: Why do you think so few wide receivers go No. 1? (Keyshawn Johnson, New York Jets 1996 was the last and then Irving Fryar, New England, 1984.)
A: I don't know. Like I said, I guess teams go for whatever they need. I guess at the time the first picks didn't need a receiver.
Q: Calvin do you have any concerns at all about playing in a cold weather climate like Green Bay, Minnesota or New England?
A: No.
Q: Been working out at Disney, have you thought about being in Florida playing for the Bucs?
A: No. I've been hearing a lot of that. I watch SportsCenter. I saw it on SportsCenter. I?ve been hearing it out here. Right now, I'm not even worried. I'm just working out and grinding in the weight room. I'm out on the track and on the field. I'm just trying to smooth out all of the bumps I have in my game right now and be ready on March 15th for my pro day.
Q: You mentioned Randy Moss earlier, could you co-exist on a team with Randy Moss?
A: I can co-exist with anybody. It's real easy to get along with me. I don't have a problem with anybody.
Q: Are you the best athlete in the draft?
A: I feel that I'm the best athlete. That's the attitude that I have to have going into this whole thing. That's the way that I feel.
Q: As a competitor how hard is it not to workout here?
A: It's real tough. I've been contemplating it now. I want to run. I know that I'm going to put up big numbers. Just run and get in over with. At the same time, it just depends how I feel.
Q: At what point would you be disappointed, if you started to slip?
A: I wouldn't be disappointed at all. My goal is just to play in the NFL. My goal wasn't to be the No. 1 draft pick when I started playing football. As long as I get a chance to play and help that team out, I'm fine.
Q: What will make you great?
A: The one thing that I think will make me great, I would say my character and my willingness to compete. I believe those things will make me one of the best.
Q: How well have you got to know the other wide receivers?
A: I've meet Dwayne Jarrett several times. So we are real good. I meet Ted Ginn (Jr.) for the first time down here. There are a couple of guys that I'm working out with down in Orlando. All of the receivers, this is a good group out here. Everybody is real competitive. I can't want to see how it goes down tomorrow.
Q: You talked about your character, can you be a good role model? Is that something that you'll embrace?
A: Definitely. I'm not going to be the one that has any problems. I haven't had any problems through high school or through college. I tend to stay away from trouble. There won't be a problem with me off the field.
Q: Are you more of a vocal leader or a leader by example?
A: I lead more by example. If something needs to be said, I'll say it most of the time. I just encourage my teammates to get like me, do what I'm doing, work hard.
Q: As high as you're going to go in the draft there is going to be a lot of media pressure, a lot of opportunities for you to be seen in the community, do things in the community. Are you dreading any part of that at all?
A: Not at all. We always did work in the community. Back at Tech we use to go to the hospital, Piedmont, in downtown Atlanta. That's not a problem. I don't have a problem with visiting with kids, reading to kids. That's not a problem.
Q: What do you feel is your best attribute?
A: Like I said earlier on, my physical gifts and my willingness to compete.
Q: How can you still improve? Is there anything?
A: (Laughing) There?s always room for improvement whether if it is my routes or just working on my concentration.
Q: Calvin, what are you going to miss most about college?
A: Well, I don't know what the NFL life is like right now. But my teammates, my coaches and just the atmosphere.

royboy

EOG Dedicated

I really doubt the Browns pass on Peterson at no. 3, who was also very impressive at the combine. Johnson still likely to go to the Bucs, both guys are absolute studs.

He's a beast. He put up numbers even though it was Reggie Ball throwing to him. What's scary is that he weighs 235 lbs. Strength and speed is an understatement. I can't wait to see him beat up DBs in the NFL, wherever he goes.

On a side note I heard the coin flip cost him about 7 million dollars, because if he went 3rd he would have gotten a max contract easily. So don't worry he's pissed about the coin flip too. I know I would be

Hopefully Peterson will be a stud too but with that collarbone injury and his style of running, I can see it being a problem again.

Hache Man

"Seven Days Without Gambling Makes One Weak"

Only a couple of days left til we see who lands this amazing athlete.....

Browns and Lions would be smart to trade their picks if they won't take CJ. Way too much demand for him. Browns could easily end up with Peterson in the 6-9 range. Lions could get Gaines in the same range. Then again neither franchise seems exactly draft smart.

mofome

Banned

there is zero chance peterson gets left after pick 7. i know that for a fact. if you dont take johnson at 2, you deal the pick. best player int he draft, imo. i still contend there is zero chance he gets to pick 4 and zero chance russell gets to pick 7.

Even though he projects to be a top talent, history shows when it comes to the WR position there is a very good chance some guy drafted below him this year will be a more productive player. Hard to say who it will be, but great receivers come from all rounds of the draft. Lots of top receivers were drafted all the way down to the 7th round (Donald Driver). This position's success is so heavily dictated by other players and the team's system I would be very wary of drafting him even though his ratings and apparent talent are off the charts.

mofome

Banned

Even though he projects to be a top talent, history shows when it comes to the WR position there is a very good chance some guy drafted below him this year will be a more productive player. Hard to say who it will be, but great receivers come from all rounds of the draft. Lots of top receivers were drafted all the way down to the 7th round (Donald Driver). This position's success is so heavily dictated by other players and the team's system I would be very wary of drafting him even though his ratings and apparent talent are off the charts.

thats the case with a lot of positions i think. i think calvin is in a class of good WRs but he will be the best one if put on a semi-decent team. i cant see him lasting till pick 3, much less 4. i just cant wait to get things started, WB.

:cheers

As I wrote I yawn at this weekend Mo. They ought to just do it online like a fantasy sports draft, but I know they have to hype the crap out of it to take attention away from other sports' playoffs.

mofome

Banned

As I wrote I yawn at this weekend Mo. They ought to just do it online like a fantasy sports draft, but I know they have to hype the crap out of it to take attention away from other sports' playoffs.

haha 15 minutes b/w picks is too long, but i just love having football back in the news for a reason other than arrests. i wish the skins had more picks, but following the vikings and the colts is a lot of fun, for me, as well. seeing the highlights and all i enjoy, i just dont like listening to the 'experts' talk all day.

pags11

EOG Dedicated

the guy was one of the most impressive receivers I've ever seen at the collegiate level...

mofome

Banned

there is zero chance peterson gets left after pick 7. i know that for a fact. if you dont take johnson at 2, you deal the pick. best player int he draft, imo. i still contend there is zero chance he gets to pick 4 and zero chance russell gets to pick 7.

thats some solid info.