NBA All-Time Assist AND Steals Leader

Hache Man

"Seven Days Without Gambling Makes One Weak"
Still maybe the most amazing feat in NBA history in my opinion.

For a guy to own one record, such as being the NBA's All-Time Assist leader in history, is a feat in itself.

But when you own that record, AND another record like being the NBA's All-Time Steals leader in history, that is simply amazing.

Especially when you conisder these 2 records/categories don't even coincide with one another, with assists being on offense, and steals being defensive!

John Stockton

Lawrence

EOG Dedicated
Re: NBA All-Time Assist AND Steals Leader

But....would you still not rather have Magic Johnson if you were starting a team and needed a PG?

JohnnyDeMarco

EOG Addicted

Stockton was real real good and all that but he never won one championship.
Majic Johnson might be the best all around player ever.

Hache Man

Utah never won a championship because they played in the Michael Jordan era.

They would dominate current NBA teams.....

Lawrence

EOG Dedicated

I think the spurs ans mavs would give them a hell of a series..and last years heat and pistons teams as well

Hache Man

Nobody can doubt how great Magic Johnson was/is

One of the things that makes Stockton's records so remarkable is that he accomplished it playing against the best era of players in NBA history......

Hache Man

But....would you still not rather have Magic Johnson if you were starting a team and needed a PG?

I dunno Lawman.....

That depends if Kareen Abdul Jabbar & James Worthy came with the package like they did most of Magic's career......... :p

stockton was fantastic. but different league than michael, magic, and larry. and never won a championship. thats unacceptable when you played with karl malone and many other great players for so long.

dirty

EOG Master

Blaming any one player for Not winning a Championship is Lunacy and Idiotic.... There was a 20 year stretch where Unless your name was Larry, Magic, Isaih, Michael, or Robinson you were shit out of Luck.....

How you can blame single players Like BArkley, Stockton and Malone etc.. for playing in the ERA they did is totally asinine and shows total lack of sports Knowlege

Hache Man

Exactly & well said Dirty D......

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7dTyR4NVVSQ"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7dTyR4NVVSQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Lawrence

EOG Dedicated

I dunno Lawman.....

That depends if Kareen Abdul Jabbar & James Worthy came with the package like they did most of Magic's career......... :p
I think Magic's overall talent is on another level than stocktons...had he not gotten sick and had 4-5 more productive years, those numbers would have been even crazier

Hache Man

I agree that I would obviously take Magic over Stockton if I had to decide, but I have to kindly disagree about Johnson's talent being on another level.
(Remember this is fun debate :) )

I think they have the same skill, intelligence, & heart

In my opinion only the size separates the 2.

If Stockton had been as tall as Magic, he would probably have been another Larry Bird.

I know that's all speculation and that could be said of many players, but in Stockton's case I believe it is more true.

Yes Stockton had Malone, but Magic had Kareem, Worthy, and usually a loaded roster.

Malone or no other Jazz player had any bearing on Stockton attaining the steals record.

You don't hold 2 All Time NBA records without being one of the greatest players ever, especially that Steals record........

Lawrence

EOG Dedicated

You can take your "fun" debate and "kind disagreements" and stick it.....lol :+signs8-0:+signs8-0

seriously though I think Stockton was one of the best ever at PG; but when looking at career numbers you have to factor all those good years Magic missed due to illness..

he also averaged 6.4 more ppg's, almost 5 more rebs per game, almost an assist more per, and for all the talk about steals, Stockton only averaged .2 more per game...and that's with the extra year in 96 where he played all aids'd up and that brought his stats down some...Magic had a better J, a baby hook, and was really an all around much better offensive player

Jordan denied so many others rings.

Gary Payton is lucky he followed Shaq around to get his.

I don't blame the Jazz at all. I mean they made it to the Finals twice.

Their best wasn't good enough.

Stockton is one of the best though even his name doesn't usually come up. Him and Hakeem always seem to be afterthoughts on alot of peoples minds.

I wonder why?? :+clueless

Hache Man

Stockton is one of the best though even his name doesn't usually come up. Him and Hakeem always seem to be afterthoughts on alot of peoples minds.

I wonder why?? :+clueless

You're right Mr Sensation, Hakeem right up there at top of All time best centers.

I think we all know the reason Stockton will never get the recognition he deserves....

dirty

EOG Master

Hache... One thing you have to look at is with Larry and Magic... When they left their teams in the early 90's....they went straight to the cellar the next year.... Jordan's teams still competed for Conference finals....(the fires couple of times he retired)

No Doubt Jordan was good...but he didnt' mean as much to the team overall as Bird and Magic as they could play and did play 3-4 different Positions at times in the game..

Stockton as well... when he left...Utah went from a Playoff team to the cellar...Malone leaving took them down a Notch, but with stockton retiring as well it took them to the Cellar

Hache Man

No Doubt Jordan was good...but he didnt' mean as much to the team overall as Bird and Magic as they could play and did play 3-4 different Positions at times in the game..

Stockton as well... when he left...Utah went from a Playoff team to the cellar...Malone leaving took them down a Notch, but with stockton retiring as well it took them to the Cellar

Very good points Dirty........

I don't think Stockton's leadership of the steals category is nearly as impressive as Hakeem being number 7 on it. A 7-foot center being in the top 10 all-time steal list is far more impressive. Look at the list, half the players are point guards, where steals are far more commonplace.

Hache Man

Can't argue with you there Bill....... :)

janus

EOG Dedicated

harper blocked the bejeezus outta that shot. to the 8th or 9th row.

marlboro8425

EOG Senior Member

i stopped reading the replies when i saw someone say they didnt win because they were in the jordan era. im sure someone replied to it already, but thats a simple minded statement to make, the teams were in 2 seperate conferences lol

dirty

EOG Master

I believe their is only one NBA Championship unless they started up another league... NO other titles matter in baskets do they

d ray

EOG Dedicated

quite an amazing accomplishment indeed. stockten was awesome.

HE WAS A LOSER. PERIOD. ALSO, COULD BE EXPOSED ON DEFENSE BY POSTING HIM UP, SHOOTINGN OVER HIM, OVERPOWERING HIM, ETC.

JohnnyDeMarco

EOG Addicted

amen amen amen

you gotta admit some of stocktons assists came after karl malone took 6 steps to the basket.
when magic came in the nba he could not shoot. when he left he was a 90% free throw shooter and ober 50% from the floor. He worked his ass off.

jordan was the best period. but magic made everyone arond him better than anyone ever has. Even Kurt Rambis has a few rings. magic was to point guards what LT was to defensive ends.

John Stockton was durable and great but the truth is he couldnt carry magic's jock. It was him and karl malone who wanted nagic out of the NBA when he came down with aids and even then they still didnt win it.
Rick Barry who maybe is the biggest C O C K of all time says magic was the best guard of all time.

royboy

EOG Dedicated

amen amen amen

you gotta admit some of stocktons assists came after karl malone took 6 steps to the basket.
when magic came in the nba he could not shoot. when he left he was a 90% free throw shooter and ober 50% from the floor. He worked his ass off.

jordan was the best period. but magic made everyone arond him better than anyone ever has. Even Kurt Rambis has a few rings. magic was to point guards what LT was to defensive ends.

John Stockton was durable and great but the truth is he couldnt carry magic's jock. It was him and karl malone who wanted nagic out of the NBA when he came down with aids and even then they still didnt win it.
Rick Barry who maybe is the biggest C O C K of all time says magic was the best guard of all time.

Good post.:cheers