Stewart lashes out, likens NASCAR to pro wrestling

dirty

EOG Master
Associated Press

<!-- begin presby2 -->
<!-- end presby2 -->
<!-- end bylinebox -->
<!-- begin text11 div --><!-- begin leftcol --> <!-- template inline -->CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Two-time champion Tony Stewart likened NASCAR to professional wrestling and accused it of using bogus caution flags to shape races in biting comments made on his weekly radio show.
<!-- PULL-QUOTE (BEGIN) -->
"I guess NASCAR thinks, 'Hey, wrestling worked, and it was for the most part staged, so I guess it's going to work in racing, too.' I can't understand how long the fans are going to let NASCAR treat them like they're stupid before the fans finally turn on NASCAR." -- Tony Stewart

<!-- PULL-QUOTE (END) -->Stewart's appearance on his Tuesday night show was his first since skipping a post-race press conference in Phoenix. He dominated Saturday night's race but lost after a late exchange of leads with winner Jeff Gordon. Stewart said he refused interviews to avoid bashing NASCAR after officials threw four cautions for debris on the track.
"It's like playing God," he said on his Sirius Satellite Radio program. "They can almost dictate the race instead of the drivers doing it. It's happened too many times this year."
Stewart, who said he was fighting a fever and left the two-hour show early, went on to say fans are complaining about debris cautions and NASCAR isn't listening.
"I guess NASCAR thinks, 'Hey, wrestling worked, and it was for the most part staged, so I guess it's going to work in racing, too,'" he said. "I can't understand how long the fans are going to let NASCAR treat them like they're stupid before the fans finally turn on NASCAR.
"I don't know that they've run a fair race all year," he said.
NASCAR officials did not immediately respond to requests for comment Wednesday.
Stewart led a race-high 132 laps at Phoenix but lost the lead while pitting under the final caution, which came for an accident. He used an impressive three-wide pass to re-claim the lead, only to swap it right back to Gordon, who drove away to victory.
Stewart called it the only legitimate caution of the day.
"To me, it's not all about the money, it's about the integrity of the sport," he said on his radio program. "When I feel our own sanctioning body isn't taking care of that, it's hard to support them and feel proud about being a driver in the Nextel Cup Series when they're throwing debris cautions."
He has had a frustrating start to the season, dominating several races but failing to find his way to Victory Lane. He was the class of the field at Daytona and Bristol, only to lose those races because of a wreck and mechanical failure.
He also lost a race in Atlanta when a debris caution came out while he was leading with 25 laps to go and the field pitted. Jimmie Johnson passed him for the victory with three laps to go.
Stewart was so frustrated after wrecking in Texas two weeks ago -- an accident caused by hard racing with Juan Pablo Montoya and criticized because Stewart ultimately wrecked Dale Earnhardt Jr. -- he threatened retirement.
The 35-year-old Stewart had calmed by the time he hosted last week's radio show, when he said he talked of retiring out of frustration.
Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

ESPN.com - Smackdown! Stewart wrasslin' with NASCAR way

Re: Stewart lashes out, likens NASCAR to pro wrestling

What a jackoff that guy is. Go ahead bit the hand that feeds ya.

CLOWN

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar

BTW, Stewart has no concern about NASCAR money because he can go elsewhere and make WAY more.

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar

Stewart. As you may know, he lives here in my hometown and I have friends who are his best friends when he is home. He is very poular here of course but when you get to know the real guy, you may disagree.

janus

EOG Dedicated

the only issue i can foresee with stewart's comments is that a decent proportion of nascar's fan base actually watches wrestling regularly and doesnt know its fake.

Hache Man

"Seven Days Without Gambling Makes One Weak"

If NASCAR is in any way related to wrestling, it's only because of Stewart's asanine driving making everyone want to kick his azz!

LOL........He is fun to watch though. Was in on crank in the days when he would run Indy then Pepsi 600?

dirty

EOG Master

Stewart speaks the truth...been happening for years...

dirty

EOG Master

Once a Month...whether he needs to or not

Horseshoe

EOG Senior Member

Hell, I rarely watch 400 Left Turns, and I've seen it times before..good for him..someone needs to show backbone.

dirty

EOG Master

I agree Hosshoe... I am not a Stewart fan... Hell I hate him worse than Gordon, but I do agree Wholeheartedly here...

I remember the 97' or 98' Daytona 500..Gordon and Elliot was running 1-2 and pitted together on Green. This was in Gordon's Heyday with his Feud with Earnhardt. Elliot had some trouble and Gordon got out of the pitts with a 17 pitt (back them that was quick as a cat) and elliot got out in like 22... Gordon came out in 7th place and Elliott came out in like 25th a lap down. No way that was possible on a Track the size of Daytona, Bristol Maybe, Daytona No damn way .... NASCAR has been Manipulating races for years.... Somebody is now calling them on it....

NickPappagiorgio

EOG Dedicated

This is why I love Tony Stewart. He says whats on his mind and doesnt give a crap who he offends. Hes got that Napoleonic complex that I can relate to. Hes the man!!!!

NickPappagiorgio

EOG Dedicated

Absolutely Katie, but at least I admit it. One of my shortcomings, excuse the pun.

Hitdogg42

EOG Dedicated

It's SO TRUEEEEEE, I have been saying it for YEARS......Remeber when Jr won Daytona that was so fixed......Nascar is SUCH a joke can't understand why people watch it, really..........The Best Pinball player in the world has more athletic ability than those clowns......

Hitdogg

OscarB

EOG Dedicated

Stewart is a whiny punk - 2nd best (or maybe not that good) to the greatest race car driver of our times:

d ray

EOG Dedicated

what i like about stewart, is that he's not afraid to speak the truth.

ratbelly

EOG Veteran

what i like about stewart, is that he's not afraid to speak the truth.

What I like about Stewart. :+textinb3

That is funny that you like something about Stewart.

GO STEWY!