WTF is Going on at Va. Tech ???

andrew748

Banned
Re: WTF is Going on at Va. Tech ???

Sorry Andrew...it is a mindset like yours that leads to this carnage. People need and should have a chance to defend themselves; unfortunately this story shows that the university didn't want to give it's students that right.

Jan. 31, 2006

A bill that would have given college students and employees the right to carry handguns on campus died with nary a shot being fired in the General Assembly.

The bill was proposed by Del. Todd Gilbert, R-Shenandoah County, on behalf of the Virginia Citizens Defense League. Gilbert was unavailable Monday and spokesman Gary Frink would not comment on the bill's defeat other than to say the issue was dead for this General Assembly session.

Virginia Tech spokesman Larry Hincker was happy to hear the bill was defeated. "I'm sure the university community is appreciative of the General Assembly's actions because this will help parents, students, faculty and visitors feel safe on our campus."

nothing wrong with my mindset for my part of the world :)
i 'm just not sure that your mindset is working in your part of the world :)

andrew748...........DIDNT KNOW THERE WAS ONE IN AUGUST! ANYWAY PROBABLY CANT GO....WE WERE IN A CAR ACCIDENT AND CHRISTINA CANT WORK......SO $$$ IS GOONA BE TIGHT:(

sympathies for you recent trouble.

get a better lawyer :D

Katie

EOG Master

i would expect there to be many students at virginia tech with PTSD after going through this horrifying day..

andrew748

Banned

nope

if one of you redneck, gun tottin, john wayne loving,home protecting, steven segal mofos actually agrees that your current gun controls are not working.

then yes katie you can publicly spank me.

Katie

EOG Master

nope

if one of you redneck, gun tottin, john wayne loving,home protecting, steven segal mofos actually agrees that your current gun controls are not working.

then yes katie you can publicly spank me.

in your dreams, bad boy!!!

you're acting as if this incident is the fault of everyone in america...

one individual did this...

andrew748

Banned

aye :)

but applying cobblers rational the body count would be higher.

as 31 one individuals sort to protect themselves.

guns,

stop it or give me one :D

OscarB

EOG Dedicated

Maybe it's time to kick Britain's ass again - just so they don't forget who's boss.

Katie

EOG Master

aye :)

but applying cobblers rational the body count would be higher.

as 31 one individuals sort to protect themselves.

guns,

stop it or give me one :D

that's your real problem...
you're jealous because you don't have a gun (thank god)

what happened was horrifying..
i know that this will be a huge strech for you but try to get in touch with your empathetic side....

andrew748

Banned

that's your real problem...
you're jealous because you don't have a gun (thank god)

what happened was horrifying..
i know that this will be a huge strech for you but try to get in touch with your empathetic side....
ok

i empathise

happy?

or avoid it by correct gun control.

that's all i'm saying.

if you hunt for food, have a gun, if you want to protect your family then have a way to do so. possibly a gun.

just don't make the weapons readily available and then freak out when it goes tits up and some long coat no mates nob jockey finally loses the plot and goes to grease the kids that wouldn't date him or bullied him or had better cars than him.

a regulated militia is there to protect the populace from an unjust govt.

(did you see what's going on at the white house lately?)

dirty

EOG Master

A lovers' tiff in the dormitory... then the university killer began his rampage

By DAVID WILLIAMS - More by this author ? Last updated at 00:52am on 17th April 2007 Comments
Terrified students lined up against the wall of their classroom and shot, execution-style.
Doors chained shut by the killer to keep his victims in and police out.
Blood-soaked bodies piled on top of each other.
Scroll down for more ...

The survivors: Wounded students are carried from the Norris Building

More....
Emergency personnel carry one bleeding victim to safety

These were the scenes of almost inconceivable horror at Virginia Tech University yesterday as a gunman claimed at least 32 lives before killing himself.
He was said to have quarrelled in a dormitory with his girlfriend, whom he believed had been seeing another man. A student adviser was called to sort out the row. But the killer produced a gun and shot dead both his girlfriend and the adviser.
Two hours later he rampaged through an engineering building on the other side of the campus in the town of Blacksburg, killing indiscriminately.
Scroll down for more ...

Student Matt Maroney said: 'He had an ungodly amount of ammo on him. He was just dressed in a vest filled with clips and started firing away at classrooms.'
Another witness said of the killer: 'He had a smile on his face but there was no emotion in his eyes.'
Last night, with 15 more victims injured and the death toll expected to rise further, police and university authorities faced stark questions about their failure to act during the crucial two hours and prevent America's worst-ever massacre.

An unidentified man sits handcuffed against the wall as emergency personnel check Burruss Hall, next door to Norris Hall, for safety

Some students continued their work unaware there was a killer in their midst, while university authorities merely sent round an email saying that a shooting was being investigated.

The gunman was said to be of Asian appearance and dressed in maroon hat, leather jacket and black-military style shooting vest.
He had ammunition strapped across his chest as he calmly walked from room to room refilling his two 9mm handguns as he shot students.
He locked the doors of several classrooms to stop anyone escaping. Some terrified students jumped for their lives from fourthfloor windows, while others used desks to barricade doors.
Student David Jenkins said: 'I know one person who was in a room when the shooter came in and everyone was shot. To escape this person lay on the floor and played dead.'
Several teachers were among those shot. Student Derek O'Dell, who was hit in the arm, spoke of his terror as he faced the killer.
'He came into our room and started shooting,' he said.
'He let off a full round of bullets and I was probably one of ten or 15 people hit. There was no warning. It was just random shooting. He didn't say anything. He just shot and left. A lot of my classmates were hit, and possibly my professor too.
'The people who were less critical like myself were able to hold the door shut because he tried to get back inside our room. He tried shooting through the door at us.
'Then the police came into our hall and cleared the hall and we all managed to get out to where ambulances were waiting for us.'

Virginia Tech president Charles Steger said: 'The university was struck with a tragedy that we consider of monumental proportions... the university is shocked and indeed horrified.'
He said authorities at first believed that the first shooting at the dorm was a domestic dispute and that the gunman had fled the campus.
He added: 'We can only make decisions based on the information you had on the time. You don't have hours to reflect on it.'
The sprawling 2,600-acre campus of 25,000 students housed in 100 buildings had been closed down twice in the last ten days after bomb scares.

It was unclear whether the bomb threats were related or whether the gunman had any possible terror associations.
The first shootings yesterday took place at 7.15am (12.15pm British time) at the West Ambler Johnston complex, a coeducational hall of residence which houses 895 students.
Security there is said to have been tight with individual identity passes used to enter the dormitory complex.
Scroll down for more ...

Officers take cover behind their car doors, fearing the gunman is still on the loose

An immediate lockdown was ordered with students told to remain in their rooms and away from windows as police and security officials swamped the area.
As some students fled the scene, they were tackled to the ground and handcuffed by police seeking to stop the killer fleeing in the chaos.
However other students around the campus were allowed to leave for their 8am classes.
An unidentified man is arrested. It is unclear what role he played in the shooting. Sources in University Relations told the student newspaper there may have been two arrests

Police said they were still investigating the shooting at the dormitory when authorities got word of gunfire at Norris Hall, the engineering building.
The gunman appeared to pick his victims indiscriminately. Some, for no apparent reason, he spared. Others he shot from less than 10ft away.
He is then said to have turned one of his guns on himself despite still having ammunition available.
Student Jason Piatt said: 'I'm pretty outraged that someone died in a shooting in a dorm at 7am and the first email about it had no mention of locking down the campus, no mention of cancelling classes.
'They just mentioned that they were investigating a shooting. That's pretty ridiculous. Meanwhile, while they sent out that email, all these people got killed.'
Student Matt Maloney told how terrified students used desks to barricade themselves in their classrooms as the gunman walked down the main corridor blasting off shots.
He said he saw several badly wounded students being led away while others had been injured leaping for their lives from upstairs windows.
Josh Wargo was one of those who jumped. He said: 'I was in an engineering class. We all of a sudden heard loud banging noises. We heard screaming through the walls and everyone started to panic and jumping out of the windows.
'We heard 40 or 50 shots. They went on for almost two minutes. The window I jumped out of was two or three storeys up. When I landed I was in a daze, standing outside of the building. Some of my friends got shot. They told me my professor was shot in the face.'
Tiffany Otey, who was one floor up in the Norris Building, said that when the gunfire started she and about 20 other students went to a teacher's office and locked the door.
'The gunshots were going off downstairs and half of our classmates were downstairs,' said Miss Otey.
'We were just sitting there as if the shooter was going to come up the next floor.
'Maybe ten minutes later we were in the room when police arrived. They told us to put our hands above our heads and if we did not put our hands above our heads we will shoot you. We were running out of the building freaking out.'
The shooting will re-open the often heated debate over gun controls in the U.S., whose Constitution declares that the people's right to bear arms must not be infringed.
A sombre President Bush went on TV last night to say: 'Schools should be places of safety, sanctuary and learning. When that sanctuary is violated, the impact is felt in every American classroom, in every American community.
'We hold the victims in our hearts. We lift them up in our prayers.'

An aerial view of Virginia Tech

dirty

EOG Master

Gunman kills 32 at Virginia Tech before being killed
(<span class=redtext>EXCLUSIVE:</span> Gunman may have been in U.S. on visa :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Nation)

April 16, 2007

BY MICHAEL SNEED Sun-Times Columnist
Authorities were investigating whether the gunman who killed 32 people on the Virginia Tech campus in the deadliest shooting rampage in U.S. history was a Chinese man who arrived in the United States last year on a student visa.

The 24-year-old man arrived in San Francisco on United Airlines on Aug. 7 on a visa issued in Shanghai, the source said. Investigators have not linked him to any terrorist groups, the source said.

Police believe three bomb threats on the campus last week may have been attempts by the man to test the campus’ security response, the source said.

The exits to the buildings where the shootings occurred were chained by the shooter, the source said.

Students complained that there were no public address announcements or other warnings on campus after the first burst of gunfire. They said the first word they received from the university was an e-mail more than two hours into the rampage — around the time the gunman struck again.

Virginia Tech President Charles Steger said authorities believed the shooting at the dorm was a domestic dispute and mistakenly thought the gunman had fled the campus.

‘‘We had no reason to suspect any other incident was going to occur,’’ he said.
He defended the university’s handling of the tragedy: ‘‘We can only make decisions based on the information you had on the time. You don’t have hours to reflect on it.’’

Steger said the university decided to rely on e-mail and other electronic means of notifying members of the university, but with 11,000 people driving onto campus first thing in the morning, it was difficult to get the word out to everyone.

Virginia Tech Police Chief Wendell Flinchum would not say how many weapons the gunman carried. But a law enforcement official, speaking on condition of anonymity because the investigation was incomplete, said that the gunman had two pistols and multiple clips of ammunition.

Contributing: Associated Press
Copyright 2006 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
<!-- bottom navigation --> <!-- close wrapper coding -->

dirty

EOG Master

At least 33 killed in shootings at Virginia Tech

This morning's campus rampage is being called the worst mass shooting in U.S. history. The shooter is dead by his own hand, officials say. Details are still coming in.

<!--EndNoIndex-->The Roanoke Times<!--BeginNoIndex-->
<!--EndNoIndex--><script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.roanoke.com/js/objects/flash.js?id=soundslider&name=/multimedia/vtshootingsoundslide/soundslider.swf&w=230&h=170"></script><object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" id="soundslider" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab" height="170" width="230">

<embed src="http://www.roanoke.com/multimedia/vtshootingsoundslide/soundslider.swf" id="soundslider" bgcolor="#b8c2c5" name="/multimedia/vtshootingsoundslide/soundslider.swf" play="true" loop="false" quality="high" allowscriptaccess="sameDomain" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" align="middle" height="170" width="230"></object>Photos by Alan Kim | The Roanoke Times
One victim identified

Audio Slideshow

Video

Map

Guest book

Overview

Statements

<!-- ** START UPDATES HERE PLEASE INCLUDE TIMESTAMP**** --> 8:33 p.m.
President Bush's staff has talked to Virginia Tech officials about the possibility of Bush visiting campus this week, Tech spokesman Larry Hincker said at a press conference this evening. Authorities said they are still trying to determine whether the shootings at West Ambler Johnston Hall and Norris Hall are related. They have identified a “person of interest” in the Ambler Johnston shootings but do not have anyone in custody. That person is cooperating with authorities, they said. At Norris Hall, 31 people – including the shooter – were killed. Virginia Tech Police Chief Wendell Flinchum said the scene at Norris was “probably one of the worst things I’ve seen in my life.” Authorities have made a preliminary identification of the shooter but don’t plan to release his name, or that of any of the victims, until tomorrow. Another two, a woman and a male resident assistant, were killed at Ambler Johnston. 8:03 p.m.
Tech police Chief Wendell Flinchum said that an estimated 15 people have been injured from today's shootings.
7:48 p.m.
Tech police Chief Wendell Flinchum said police had made a preliminary identification of the shooter but were not releasing the identity at a press conference that is currently happening. He also said that two weapons had been recovered but declined to say what they were.
7:06 p.m.
Norris Hall, where 31 of today's 33 victims died and 15 more were injured, is a crime investigation scene tonight. Police block passersby from approaching closer than Burruss Hall, Virginia Tech's main administrative building that sits between Norris and the Drillfield.
A long piece of yellow police tape is tangled in a tree and federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives agents seemed to be looking through windows of cars parked near Burruss. No vehicles are being allowed onto campus.
A half dozen police trucks are parked near Norris, and officers are coming and going from the building. Very few other people are outside on that side of campus.
At the Inn at Virginia Tech, a university hotel that has served as a staging area for today's press conferences and for students and family members seeking information, guards at the front door are only allowing friends and relatives of victims to enter. Media representatives are being sent to another door. The Inn is trying to keep rooms available for friends and family.
"Hokies United" an ad hoc group that has brought together Virginia Tech's student organizations during past tragedies, is organizing a candlelight vigil tomorrow night on Tech's Drillfield. The event is open to the public and will begin at 7:30 p.m. Students are planning on passing a flame to light 10,000 candles at the event. It will also feature a yet-to-be-named speaker.
Students are building a writing wall so people at the vigil can write messages in support of the victims.
5:53 p.m.
Gov. Tim Kaine has declared a state of emergency due to today's events at Virginia Tech. State agencies are directed to aid in the response to the shootings that killed at least 33 people.
U.S. Rep. Bob Goodlatte, R-6th, added his voice to the chorus of officials expressing shock and sadness, issuing a statement saying his "thoughts and prayers are with the families of the victims and the entire Virginia Tech community.”
Newly announced event schedule changes linked to the shooting include cancellation of tonight's bluegrass and old-time jam at the Coffee Mill in Radford; tomorrow's McGlothlin Celebration of Teaching, administered by Blue Ridge PBS; and the cancelling of Tuesday classes and after-school events Montgomery County Public Schools.
Here are at least some of the vigils scheduled for tonight: 6 p.m., St. John’s Episcopal Church, Roanoke; 6 or 7 p.m., Blacksburg Church of Christ; 7 p.m., Blacksburg Presbyterian Church; 7 p.m., West Eggleston Hall on Virginia Tech campus; 8 p.m., Henderson Lawn on Virginia Tech campus.
Also, Tech students have started a facebook site titled "I'm ok at VT" to let each other know their whereabouts and ask about people who are missing.
5:27 p.m.
Virginia Tech President Charles Steger expressed "horror and disbelief and profound sorrow" at this morning's shootings, and said it killed at least 33 people on campus. The official casualty count has grown throughout the day.
Steger said at a press conference this afternoon that it likely will be tomorrow before the names of the dead are released in order to give authorities time to notify next-of-kin.
Steger also said it is not confirmed that the shootings in Norris Hall, where 31 died and 15 were wounded, are linked to the shootings two hours earlier in West Ambler Johnston Hall, where two people were found shot in a dormitory room. Tech officials said they could not say a single shooter was to blame for both instances, but said there is no search for additional suspects. No one is in custody in connection to the shootings, officials said.
Tech police Chief Wendell Flinchum said the shooter shot himself inside Norris Hall. Officials have not named the shooter, or described him beyond saying he was male. The gunman was not carrying identification and officials say they have not positively identified him.
Tech officials defended their decision to continue classes after the first shootings, saying their information at the time indicated that it was an isolated incident and that the shooter left campus.
"You can second-guess all day. We acted on the best information we had," Flinchum said.
"We can't have an armed guard in front of every classroom every day of the year," Steger said.
Flinchum confirmed that police found some of the Norris Hall classroom doors chained shut from the inside, which is not a normal practice. Some of the people hurt in Norris Hall were injured leaping from windows to escape.
Tech spokesman Larry Hincker said there would be another press briefing at 7:30 p.m. Classes are canceled for Tuesday, and there is no decision yet on whether they will resume Wednesday.
4:17 p.m.
Seth Terrell, Virginia Tech campus pastor at Blacksburg Church of Christ, says the congregation will hold a prayer vigil tonight at the church. The time is yet to be determined but will likely be 6 or 7, he said.
4:04 p.m.
President George Bush said "Our nation is shocked and saddened" by today's shootings at Virginia Tech.
He pledged federal assistance in investigating the shootings and expressed condolences to the families of victims.
3:50 p.m.
Montgomery County schools will have counselors available Tuesday to help students deal with today's shootings.
3:47 p.m.
The massacre today at Virginia Tech is the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history, according to a prominent criminologist.
James Alan Fox of Northeastern University in Boston said the death toll — which now stands at 31 — surpasses the 22 people killed in 1991 when a gunman with a high-powered pistol opened fire on a lunchtime crowd at a cafeteria in Killenn, Texas.
Fox said the death count at Tech makes the shooting the deadliest in the United States, and possibly worldwide.
"I’m not aware of anything else" that approaches the number, Fox said.
3:42 p.m.
College students across the country are expressing their sympathies to Virginia Tech students online through thefacebook.com.
More than 43 groups and climbing have been established to show support for victims and their families, and to keep others updated on the status of mutual friends who attend Tech.
A blogger who posted on the Web site of the “UCONN SUPPORTS VIRGINIA TECH STUDENTS” group said that she hopes to organize a memorial at the University of Connecticut this week.
Meanwhile a University of Alabama student posted on the wall of a group entitled “Pray for the families of the students killed at Va Tech.”
“I am so shocked and disgusted at what has happened this morning. It is scary to think that this could have happened at UA,” she wrote.
Tech students have also created a group called “A Tribute to Those who Passed at the Virginia Tech Shooting" that so far has attracted more than 3,600 members.
3:35 p.m.
A prayer service related to today's shootings is scheduled for 6 tonight at Roanoke's St. John Episcopal Church at Elm and Jefferson.
A candlelight vigil also is being organized for Virginia Tech's Henderson Lawn for 8 tonight.
3:32 p.m.
Radford University has offered to send counselors to Virginia Tech and has also offered what few residence hall rooms are available if Tech needs to find housing for students, spokesman Rob Tucker said.
The Radford campus also increased its own security, calling in off-duty police officers to work, Tucker said.
3:23 p.m.
Four of the 17 students taken to Montgomery Regional Hospital are in surgery, according to spokeswoman Nancy May. They suffered gunshots and other injuries, May said, although she did not know what the other injuries were.
At least one of the five victims taken to Lewis-Gale Medical Center is a faculty member. Two of those victims are in surgery. All are in stable condition.
Four more victims were sent to Carilion New River Valley Medical Center near Radford and two to Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital.
Police are guarding Montgomery County Regional's entrance road and doorways.
The hospital has set up a room with pizza and coffee for friends of victims to gather to wait for information. Some students have requested a room be set aside where they could gather to pray.
3:17 p.m.
Wes Barts, a campus minister for Intervarsity Christian Fellowship at Virginia Tech, says he's spoken with four or five other pastors about joint prayer vigils to help their congregations deal with today's tragic shooting.
“We’re trying to figure out, how much do we do as a chapter and how much do we do as a bigger fellowship of believers?” said Barts, a Tech alumnus.
Barts said he learned of the shooting at 10 a.m.
“I’ve pretty much been on the phone all day — ever since this happened," he said. "I’ve been interviewed by people like in Wisconsin. I’ve been trying to make sure all of our students in our fellowship our OK. That seems to be the case.”
Intervarsity will hold an open meeting at 7 tonight in West Eggleston Hall on Tech's campus.
"Hopefully by then we’ll be able to go on campus," Barts said. "That’s for people who are on campus and don’t want to leave campus but want to come together. ... It’s sort of hard because we can’t go on campus and it’s hard for the students to leave that are on campus.”
There also will be a prayer vigil at 7 tonight at Grace Covenant Presbyterian Church in Blacksburg.
Jim Pace, pastor of New Life Christian Fellowship at Tech, says NLCF rents buildings at 130 Jackson St. and at "Zack's Place" on the corner of Draper and College avenues in Blacksburg where counselors are available.
A collaborative event between several religious organizations on campus is scheduled for Wednesday. A location and time are yet to be determined.
“We’re just really trying to figure out at this point what is the extent of this," Pace said. "I was here during 9/11 and this is so much worse for the campus than that was in terms of the amount of people it hit. ... “With 9/11 [students] didn’t go out to kind of deal with the grief. They huddled up in apartments. They didn’t want to go on campus or go to Squires. This may be the same or it may be different. We’re just waiting to see.”
Seth Terrell, campus minister at Blacksburg Church of Christ, said a prayer vigil is tentatively scheduled to be held at the church tonight.
3:10 p.m.
Freshman Dan Stoken was walking from class to the Schiffert Health Center about 9:45 a.m. when police officers in the doorway of West Ambler-Johnston Hall began yelling at him.
"Get inside! Run! Run!" they screamed as Stoken bolted for the dorm's double doors. Inside, a Blacksburg police officer grabbed his backpack and slid it across the room.
"I had no idea what was going on," Stoken said.
Within an hour, Stoken was joined by about 30 more students in the lobby of West Ambler-Johnston, most of them having been pulled from the sidewalk by police.
Senior Morgan Rezac said she saw police cars zip by as she walked from the gym to Deets to get coffee but figured someone had been hit by a car.
"I didn't think anything else could have happened," she said.
Piled onto two wooden benches and sitting cross-legged on the floor, the students, many of them on their cellphones, tried to find out what was going on. At that point, the only confirmed shootings had taken place at West Ambler-Johnston.
"We've got you right here because this is the safest spot for you to be right now," Blacksburg police Lt. Joe Davis told them. "We've got some things going on outside and you don't need to be walking in the quad right now."
Richard Waldrop, a freshman who lives in West Ambler-Johnston, said he didn't know about the shooting in the building until he tried to go to class and was told not to leave. He said he wasn't worried about the situation, even as ambulance sirens blared and police could be heard shouting outside.
"There's a bunch of police everywhere," he said. "They seem to have it under control."
Outside, the university's emergency alert system activated, with a message for students that they should stay inside and away from windows. The campus was desolate, with no pedestrians visible and very few vehicles on the road other than law enforcement.
About 11 a.m. in Burchard Hall, the architecture building, students were packed into classrooms on the building's bottom floor and told to turn the lights out.
Freshman Casey Reeve said he was in Burchard doing classwork when someone got an e-mail that there was a shooter on campus. He continued to work until about 10:30 a.m., when school officials told him and other students to get away from the windows that surround the building.
"Some people seem pretty scared," Reeve said. "Others aren't that concerned."
The students were given a short bathroom break and then told to get back into the rooms. Reeve said he had missed several phone calls and text messages from his worried mother in Long Island and needed to call her to let her know he was OK before he went back to the rooms.
Reeve said he wasn't really worried about the situation, "I guess because this is the second time this has happened."
Reeve said Monday's incident was reminiscent of the first day of fall semester, when classes were closed because of the manhunt for William Charles Morva, a Montgomery County Jail inmate who had escaped police custody.
3:03 p.m.
Virginia Tech officials now say at least 31 people died in this morning's shootings, up from 22 confirmed dead earlier today.
Also, tomorrow's convocation, an event intended to formalize the university's ongoing grief and recovery, is now scheduled for 2 p.m., not noon, at Cassell Coliseum.
3 p.m.
Virginia Lt. Gov. Bill Bolling released a statement on the shootings at Virginia Tech, expressing condolences to the families of victims and wishing full recoveries for the wounded.
“Virginia Tech is one of our nation’s finest institutions of higher education," Bolling said. "As the father of a 2005 graduate of Virginia Tech, I consider myself a part of this family as well. In difficult times like these families pull together, and I have no doubt that the Virginia Tech family will pull together as well in this difficult time."
Virginia House of Delegates Speaker William J. Howell, R-Stafford, also issued a statement, saying he and all members of the House of Delegates were "deeply saddened by today’s shocking tragedy at Virginia Tech.”
2:53 p.m.
Gene Cole has worked in Virginia Tech's housekeeping services for more than two decades. He was on the second floor of Norris Hall this morning and saw a person lying on a hallway floor. As Cole approached, a man wearing a hat and holding a black gun stepped into the hallway.
"Someone stepped out of a classroom and started shooting at me," Cole said.
He fled down the corridor, then down a flight of steps to safety. Most of this morning's casualties occurred in Norris.
"All I saw was blood in the hallways," Cole said.
Zac Ottoson, a freshman from southern New Jersey, had a class at 8 this morning, then got breakfast. He was on the Drillfield around 9:30 when he heard gunshots and sirens, and saw people running away from the Burruss Hall side of campus, where shootings had just occurred in Norris Hall.
Quiet and safety were among the reasons he chose Virginia Tech, Ottoson said. "It seemed like such a nice safe and friendly place to me. It really makes you think twice about how safe it is," he said.
2:23 p.m.
Virginia Attorney General Bob McDonnell issued this statement: “My prayers are with the families and friends of those killed in today’s tragic shootings at Virginia Tech. We pray for all those injured, that they will recover from their injuries. I urge my fellow Virginians to pray for all those impacted by this heartbreaking occurrence. The Office of the Attorney General will work with the administration of Virginia Tech, the Virginia State Police, the Governor and all of our client agencies to provide the best legal help possible as the investigation into this situation unfolds.”
McDonnell will attend a memorial event scheduled for noon Tuesday at Tech's Cassell Coliseum.
2:20 p.m.
One man was hanging out the window of a Norris Hall classroom when the gunman entered, according to freshman Douglas Cobb.
Cobb said that Jake Grohs, the resident assistant for the fourth floor of Peddrew-Yates residence hall, told him he climbed out the window of an engineering class as the gunman apparently made his way from room to room in Norris.
"He was in the room next door to the shooting" and decided to try climbing out the second-story window, Cobb said. "He was hanging out the window when the person came in" and heard people being shot, Cobb said. He said that four of six people who were in the room at that time where shot.
Grohs jumped out the window onto a hill and is OK, Cobb said.
Cobb and other friends showed up at the Inn at Virginia Tech this afternoon to try to get information about a missing friend.
1:54 p.m.
Virginia Sen. Jim Webb released this statement about today's shootings: “I am truly saddened to hear of the tragic shooting at Virginia Tech. My heart goes out to the parents and families of the victims of this senseless act. My office has been in communication with the Governor’s office and officials at Virginia Tech to offer any assistance.”
1:50 p.m.
By 12:26 p.m., Wikipedia, the online encyclopedia, had an entry for the shootings entitled "Virginia Tech massacre" that included a photo from the event.
The entry was soon changed to "2007 Virginia Tech shooting." Within an hour it included information gleaned from a variety of news sources including CNN, National Public Radio and WDBJ. In the style of Wikipedia, contributors continued to update the information -- correcting errors in early news reports, adjusting language and generally keeping the encyclopedia entry accurate.
Virginia Tech shootings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
1:45 p.m.
As the medical examiner’s office in Roanoke prepared to conduct autopsies of all the dead, the undermanned office was waiting for reinforcements.
Nine state employees — including medical examiners, administrators and investigators — were making the trip today from Richmond, Tidewater and Northern Virginia to assist William Massello, who is the only medical examiner in the Roanoke office following the departure last year of two of his colleagues.
It was not clear when the bodies will be transported from Blacksburg to the medical examiner’s office in Roanoke, said Tracie Cooper, the district administrator.
1:40 p.m.
Gov. Tim Kaine has issued a statement regarding today’s shootings at Virginia Tech. “It is difficult to comprehend senseless violence on this scale," Kaine said. “Our prayers are with the families and friends of these victims, and members of the extended Virginia Tech community."
Kaine said he is leaving Tokyo, where he was on a trade mission, to return to Virginia.
1:27 p.m.
Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital is treating two of the gunshot wound victims, one from the first shooting and another from the second shooting, said Eric Earnhart, hospital spokesman.
Monday afternoon, hospital staff waited at the ambulance entrance for one of the victims, who arrived about 12:45 in a Carilion ambulance. The victim, who could not be seen beneath blankets, was rushed into the emergency room.
Earnhart said he did not know the condition of either patient.
1:25 p.m.
Pedestrian traffic is slowly returning to Blacksburg's College Avenue, which runs along the edge of Virginia Tech's campus. The campus loudspeakers that broadcast echoing warnings of "This is an emergency, seek shelter indoors immediately" have been silent for at least an hour.
Two Tech freshmen walking back toward campus said the day's events seem unbelievable, especially given that the school year started with campus being shut down during the manhunt for acccused murderer William Morva.
"At first I thought it was something like a joke because going through something like this twice in one year didn't seem possible," said Dennis Hollich, an 18-year-old from Jupiter, Fla.
"It's pretty brutal," added Jessica Parrish, also 18, from Louisa County.
Pauletta Robins, a Blacksburg resident, said she'd spent the morning trying to contact her husband, Todd, a painter at Tech. Cellphone circuits were jammed and she hadn't been able to talk to him.
"What's happening to this town?" Robins asked.
1:07 p.m.
Virginia Tech police Chief Wendell Flinchum said it's unclear what could have prompted today's shootings. An investigation is under way, he said.
At this point, Flinchum said, "we believe campus is secure. We are releasing people to leave campus if they wish."
Tech police got a 911 call at 7:15 a.m. about the shooting in West Ambler-Johnston. At least two people were shot there and some panicked students are reported to have jumped out the dorm's windows.
The Norris Hall shootings happened about two hours later. Classes were canceled and anyone out walking was quickly pulled inside by police or university officials.
"The university is shocked and horrified that this would befall our campus," Tech President Charles Steger said at the noon news conference. He called the incident a "tragedy of monumental proportions."
Counseling centers have been set up in Ambler-Johnston and the Cook Counseling Center, he said, and the school is planning a convocation at noon tomorrow at Cassell Coliseum "for the university community to come together to begin to deal with this tragedy."
1:06 p.m.
Virginia Tech campus is quiet, with few students walking about. Most buildings are evacuated and police are telling people to leave and not come back today. Dormitories are locked down.
A heavy police presence is evident, with armed officers visible all around the Drillfield.
Freshman Hector Takahashi said he'd been in a class in Pamplin Hall, near Norris Hall, around 9:30 a.m. Students were talking about a shooting in West Ambler Johnston.
"Then all of a sudden, we were like, 'Whoa -- were those shots?'" he said. There were two quick bangs, then a pause, then a fusillade of at least 30 shots, he said.
1:05 p.m.
Multiple people in the Virginia Tech athletic department have said all players have been accounted for on the football, men's basketball, women's basketball, softball, golf and men's tennis teams. Reporters are trying to contact coaches of the other teams.
The next scheduled on-campus athletic event is a baseball game Wednesday against William and Mary.
Blacksburg town offices are closed for the day.
12:58 p.m.
At least 22 people, including a suspect, are confirmed dead after a series of shootings this morning on the Virginia Tech campus, Tech police Chief Wendell Flinchum said.
At a noon news conference at the Inn at Virginia Tech, Flinchum said that some of the dead were students, though he could not say how many. Authorities are in the process of notifying next of kin, he said.
Twenty of the victims were shot in Norris Hall, a classroom building, Flinchum said. One was shot early this morning in West Ambler-Johnston, a residence hall. A second person was shot in West Ambler-Johnston but survived.
Authorities are not releasing the name of the suspect or saying whether he killed himself or was killed by authorities.
12:48 p.m.
The mass shooting is the nation’s worst on any school or college campus, according to Catherine Bath, executive director of Security on Campus Inc., a non-profit group that tracks school shootings.
"There is no national precedent for this," Bath said.
"This is a Columbine-type situation," Bath said, referring to a schooting at a Colorado high school that left 12 students and a teacher dead in 1999.
"It’s actually much, much worse than that."
12:45 p.m.
Virginia Tech is offering counseling to employees who want assistance after today's events. The counseling is available in the Bowman Room in the Merriman Center.
12:35 p.m.
Seventeen students are being treated for gunshot wounds and other injuries at Montgomery Regional Hospital, spokeswoman Nancy May said. Two more gunshot victims are in stable condition at Lewis-Gale Medical Center in Salem, and three others are on their way to Lewis-Gale, she said.
12:32 p.m.
At least four gunshot victims are at Carilion New River Valley Medical Center, three stable and one in critical condition, spokeswoman Debbie Sydnor said. Another victim is in the trauma unit at Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital and two more are en route to Roanoke, Sydnor said.
12:18 p.m.
Virginia Tech police Chief Wendell Flinchum is saying there at least 20 fatalities in this morning's shootings.
12:07 p.m.
Virginia Tech has closed for the day and announced that classes also are canceled for Tuesday, though administrative functions are scheduled to resume then.
Faculty and staff on the Burruss Hall side of the Drillfield are being asked to go home immediately. Faculty and staff on the War Memorial side are asked to leave at 12:30 p.m.
The university's convocation ceremony is still scheduled for noon Tuesday at Cassell Coliseum. The Inn at Virginia Tech has been designated as the site for parents to gather and obtain information.
Carilion spokesman Eric Earnhart said four patients injured in the Tech shootings this morning have been taken to Carilion New River Valley Medical Center.
Two more patients are on the way to Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital, Earnhart said. One other patient already had been taken to Roanoke Memorial Hospital.
Both Carilion helicopters are grounded because of high wind conditions, he said. Ambulances are being sent from Roanoke to Blacksburg.
Wayne Pike, U.S. marshal for the Western District of Virginia, said he sent four deputy marshals to Tech to help however they could.
Pike said he has heard so far about one male suspect in the shootings. “The info we got is there is one person that is out of commission -- under arrest or otherwise -- and they are searching for other possibilities now," Pike said.
Pike said there is a lot of confusion and he has heard that there have been anywhere from two to 12 arrests, and some very serious injuries.
11:57 a.m.
Sophomore Stephen Luhman was among the students locked down in Newman Library, waiting for events to calm down enough to leave.
He said he'd recently talked to a friend who is thinking of transferring to Virginia Tech. His friend asked him how safe Tech is.
"Very safe," Luhman remembered answering. "Nothing ever happens here. Even with the thing at the beginning of the year [the manhunt for accused murderer William Morva], we felt safe."
11:53 a.m.
Scott Hendricks, an associated professor of engineering science and mechanics, said he was on Norris Hall's third floor this morning around 9:45. "I started hearing some banging and some shots, then I saw a student crawling on the ground."
Hendricks said he was not sure if he saw any of the casualties, but "I saw a bloody T-shirt."
Hendricks said he went into a classroom with students, closed the door and waited until things were quiet before leaving the building.
11:49 a.m.
The Associated Press is reporting eight to nine casualties, attributing the information to an unnamed official source.
Virginia Tech's Newman Library became a shelter as university staff urged students and passersby to come in from the sidewalk. Library staff estimated that hundreds of people are in the building now, far more than would be usual at this time of day.
Sarah Ulmer, a freshman from Covington, sat on the floor and recounted how she'd been walking between buildings this morning when she saw police officers near McBryde and Norris halls.
"The police said, 'Get out of the way, get out of the way,' and then they said ‘Run,’" Ulmer said. She couldn't return to her dorm room in East Ambler Johnson hall because it was near one of the shooting sites, so she headed toward Newman.
"I figured it was safe," she said. "It was the library."
Watching police from the library's fourth-floor windows, David Russell, a sophomore from Montgomery County, Md., echoed a common sentiment, comparing today's events to last year's manhunt for accused murderer William Morva.
"This year with Morva, the bomb threats and this now, it's crazy. It's not really what you'd expect from a small farm school."
Updated: 11:06 a.m.
The Associated Press is reporting there at least one person dead as a result of multiple shootings on the Virginia Tech campus this morning. Wounded have been removed from buildings. Tech student Steve Hanson was working in a lab in Norris Hall at 10:15 a.m. when he hears what he thought was loud banging from construction. Hanson was soon scrambling out of the building and he said he saw one person who was shot in the arm. At Pritchard Hall, a dormitory near one of the shooting sites, students were being pulled into the buildings and told to stay away from windows and off the phone.
Updated: 10:17 a.m. Multiple shootings have occurred at Virginia Tech this morning involving multiple victims. The second shooting happened in Norris Hall, the engineering building near Burruss Hall. Police are on the scene and rescue workers have set up a temporary treatment facility. The campus is on lock down. All classes and activities have been cancelled for the day.
Montgomery County public schools are all on lock down. In Blacksburg, no one is being allowed in any school building without approval by the school administrators, said Superintendent Tiffany Anderson.
The university has posted a notice of the incident on its Web site and is urging the university community to be cautious and contact Virginia Tech police at 231-6411 if they notice anything suspicious. No further details were available. The Roanoke Times will update with new information as it become available.

<!--BeginNoIndex-->

At least 33 killed in shootings at Virginia Tech - Roanoke.com

Bettor days

EOG Dedicated

This is very sad but the 2nd ammendment has nothing to do with this. Besides, didn't something like this happen in Germany a few years back? They have some of the toughest gun laws in the world. If you want a gun you can get a gun very easily and pretty cheap anywhere in the world. I don't want the Government and criminals to be the only ones with all the weapons either. IMO

CUBSFAN

EOG Veteran

VT Kids sayin on facebook that it was a freshman chinese natonal that was failing his engineering classes and wasnt going to get into the engineering school. Theres a partial list on there of the dead but no need for that on here.

dirty

EOG Master

Killer's Note: 'You Caused Me to Do This'

Cho Seung-Hui, 23-Year-Old Student, Identified as Gunman

By DAVID SCHOETZ, NED POTTER and RICHARD ESPOSITO

April 17, 2007 — - Cho Seung-Hui, the student who killed 32 people and then himself yesterday, left a long and "disturbing" note in his dorm room at Virginia Tech, say law enforcement sources.
Sources have now described the note, which runs several pages, as beginning in the present tense and then shifting to the past tense. It contains rhetoric explaining Cho's actions and says, "You caused me to do this," the sources told ABC News.
Sources say Cho, 23, killed two people in a dorm room, returned to his own dorm room where he re-armed and left the note, then went to a classroom building on the other side of campus. There, he killed 30 more people in four classrooms before shooting himself in the head.
Cho, born in South Korea, was a legal resident alien of the United States. He was a senior at Virginia Tech, majoring in English.
Sources tell ABC News Cho bought his first gun, a Glock 9 millimeter handgun, on March 13; they say he bought his second weapon, a .22 caliber pistol, within the last week. The serial numbers on both guns had been filed off, they said.
Authorities found the receipt for the 9 millimeter handgun in Cho's backpack. They say the bag also contained two knives and additional ammunition for the two guns.
Legal permanent resident aliens may purchase firearms in the state of Virginia. A resident alien must, however, provide additional identification to prove he or she is a resident of the state.
Sections of chain similar to those used to lock the main doors at Norris Hall, the site of the second shooting that left 31 dead, were also found inside a Virginia Tech dormitory, sources confirmed to ABC News.

Positive Fingerprint Match

Cho's identity has been confirmed by matching fingerprints on the guns used in the rampage with his immigration records.
"Lab results confirm that one of the two weapons seized in Norris Hall was used in both shootings," Virginia Tech Police Chief Wendell Flinchum said at a press conference Tuesday morning.
At this time, police are not looking for a second shooter, though they did not rule out the possibility that Cho could have had an accomplice.
Full coverage continues on "World News With Charles Gibson," and an ABC network special Tuesday at 10 p.m. EDT
Cho, according to law enforcement officials, had entered the country through Detroit with his family in 1992, at the age of eight. He last renewed his green card in 2003. As of yesterday, his home address was listed as Centreville, Va., and the university reported he was living in a campus dormitory, Harper Hall.
Cho's parents live in a townhouse development in Centreville, a suburb of Washington. On Tuesday, no one was answering their door.
One neighbor, Marshall Main, describes Cho's parents as quiet and polite -- a couple that kept to themselves. Neither Main nor another neighbor recalled seeing the son in recent years.
Cho graduated from Westfield High School, a Fairfax County public school, in 2003.
"He was a loner, and we're having difficulty finding information about him," said Virginia Tech spokesman Larry Hincker.
<!-- page -->
Two-Hour Gap Between Shootings

Police say they believe Cho killed two people in West Ambler Johnston Hall, a dormitory near his own, shortly after 7:00 a.m. Monday. Then, two hours later, he opened fire in Norris Hall, a classroom building across campus.
Reporters continued to ask today why administrators did not cancel classes after the first shooting, and why it took more than two hours to inform the university community via e-mail about the first incident. The first e-mail notifying students of the dorm shooting was not sent by the school until 9:24 a.m -- by which time the second shooting was already over.
According to President Charles Steger, the administration locked down West Ambler Johnston Hall dormitory after the first shooting. But he said classes weren't canceled because the shooting was believed to be tied to a domestic dispute and campus police believed the shooter had left the campus.
Steger defended the school's response in an interview Tuesday with "Good Morning America's" Diane Sawyer, saying that they believed the first shooting was confined to the dormitory.
"The second shooting, no one predicted that was also going to happen that morning," Steger said. "So if you're talking about locking it down, what is it you're going to lock down? It's like closing a city. It doesn't happen simultaneously."
Steger also said he would not step down, and at Tuesday's press conference, John Marshall, secretary of public safety in Virginia, came to Steger's side.
"It's important we get this done, but more importantly, we must get this done right," Marshall said.
Police yesterday stopped a car driven by a male "person of interest," an acquaintance of the female victim who had been in the dorm where the first shootings had occurred. They interviewed and released the driver, and police said that they will continue to look for him for information.
By Monday night, investigators also had ruled out the possibility of a murder-suicide in the first dormitory shooting. Ryan "Stack" Clark, a member of the school's marching band, the Marching Virginians, and a student resident assistant, was killed there by a shot in the neck. The second victim in the dorm shooting was a female.
At Norris Hall, the gunman left a trail of bloodshed, which Flinchum, the Virginia Tech police chief, called "one of the worst things I've seen in my life."
Flinchum would not name any of the victims, but said that university staff members were among the dead.
There have been, however, at least 15 shooting victims identified in press accounts, including four professors and 11 students. A state medical examiner Tuesday said the identification process could take several days to complete.
President Bush and the first lady will attend a convocation on the Virginia Tech campus at 2 p.m.
"Schools should be places of safety and sanctuary in learning," the President said on Monday. "When that sanctuary is violated, the impact is felt in every American classroom and every American community."
<!-- page -->
No identification was found on Cho's body, police said. He apparently shot himself in the head after the killings; part of his face was missing when his body was found.
It is unknown at this time if his guns had standard or extended clips, which, depending on the weapon, can fire as many as 30 shots before the gun has to be reloaded.

No Confirmed Connection to Earlier Bomb Threats

Police today said they could not confirm that two separate bomb threats last week targeting Virginia Tech engineering buildings are connected to Monday's rampage.
The first of the two threats was directed at Torgersen Hall, a classroom and laboratory building, while the second was directed at multiple engineering buildings. Students and staff were evacuated, and the university sent out e-mails across campus, offering a $5,000 reward for information about the threats.
Virginia Tech -- formally known as Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University -- is located in the western end of the state near the borders of West Virginia and Tennessee. It has more than 25,000 full-time students. Its campus, which spreads over 2,600 acres, has more than 100 buildings.
The number of dead is almost twice as high as the previous record for a mass shooting on an American college campus. That took place at the University of Texas at Austin on Aug. 1, 1966, when a gunman named Charles Whitman opened fire from the 28th floor of a campus tower. Whitman killed 16 and injured 31.

Copyright ? 2007 ABC News Internet Ventures

dirty

EOG Master

Gunman's writings were disturbing

<!-- END HEADLINE --> <!-- BEGIN STORY BODY --> By ADAM GELLER, AP National Writer 43 minutes ago

The gunman suspected of carrying out the Virginia Tech massacre that left 33 people dead was identified Tuesday as a English major whose creative writing was so disturbing that he was referred to the school's counseling service.
Cho Seung-Hui, a 23-year-old senior, arrived in the United States as boy from South Korea in 1992 and was raised in suburban Washington, D.C., officials said. He was living on campus in a different dorm from the one where Monday's bloodbath began.
Police and university officials offered no clues to his motive in the massacre, the deadliest shooting rampage in modern U.S. history.
"He was a loner, and we're having difficulty finding information about him," school spokesman Larry Hincker said.
Professor Carolyn Rude, chairwoman of the university's English department, said she did not personally know the gunman. But she said she spoke with Lucinda Roy, the department's director of creative writing, who had Cho in one of her classes and described him as "troubled."
"There was some concern about him," Rude said. "Sometimes, in creative writing, people reveal things and you never know if it's creative or if they're describing things, if they're imagining things or just how real it might be. But we're all alert to not ignore things like this."
She said Cho was referred to the counseling service, but she said she did not know when, or what the outcome was. Rude refused to release any of his writings or his grades, citing privacy laws.

<!-- END STORY BODY -->
<!-- END MAIN CONTENT --> <!-- BEGIN FOOTER --> Copyright ? 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. The information contained in the AP News report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.

dirty

EOG Master

Campus gunman lived in U.S. since 1992

<cite class="auth">Reuters - Tuesday, April 17</cite>WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The South Korean gunman who killed 32 people and himself at Virginia Tech university had lived legally in the United States with his parents for 14 years, a U.S. immigration official said on Tuesday.

<script language="javascript"> if(window.yzq_d==null)window.yzq_d=new Object(); window.yzq_d['nHcnAFf4aw4-']='&U=13k4nca56%2fN%3dnHcnAFf4aw4-%2fC%3d200076569.201344094.202628097.200493719%2fD%3dLREC%2fB%3d200553121'; </script><noscript> </noscript>
Cho Seung-Hui, 23, moved to the United States in September 1992 and lived in Centreville, Virginia, said Chris Bentley, a spokesman with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.
Cho, a student of English literature at the university, was identified by police as the gunman responsible for Monday's killings -- the worst shooting rampage in U.S. history.
As a resident alien, commonly known as a green-card holder, Cho could live and work indefinitely in the United States, although he would not be able to vote or obtain a U.S. passport, Bentley said.
Bentley declined to release information about Cho's parents, citing privacy laws.
Cho's family could not be reached for comment.
Fox News reported that federal agents had searched the Cho home in Centreville.
The South Korean government said it was concerned about a possible backlash against South Koreans in the United States after the shooting.
"We are working closely with our diplomatic missions and local Korean residents' associations in anticipation of any situation that may arise," a foreign ministry official said by telephone.
(With reporting by Jack Kim in Seoul)
Copyright ? 2007 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redissemination of the contents of this screen are expressly prohibited without the written consent of Reuters Limited.
Copyright ? 2007 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.

dirty

EOG Master

Sources: Virginia Tech gunman left note | Chicago Tribune Sources: Virginia Tech gunman left note

By Aamer Madhani
Tribune national correspondent

April 17, 2007, 4:22 PM CDT

BLACKSBURG, Va. -- The suspected gunman in the Virginia Tech shooting rampage, Cho Seung-Hui, was a troubled 23-year-old senior from South Korea who investigators believe left an invective-filled note in his dorm room, sources say.

The note included a rambling list of grievances, according to sources. They said Cho also died with the words "Ismail Ax" in red ink on one of his arms.

Cho had shown recent signs of violent, aberrant behavior, according to an investigative source, including setting a fire in a dorm room and allegedly stalking some women.

A note believed to have been written by Cho was found in his dorm room that railed against "rich kids," "debauchery" and "deceitful charlatans" on campus.

Cho was an English major whose creative writing was so disturbing that he was referred to the school's counseling service, the Associated Press reported.

Professor Carolyn Rude, chairwoman of the university's English department, said she did not personally know the gunman. But she said she spoke with Lucinda Roy, the department's director of creative writing, who had Cho in one of her classes and described him as "troubled."

"There was some concern about him," Rude said. "Sometimes, in creative writing, people reveal things and you never know if it's creative or if they're describing things, if they're imagining things or just how real it might be. But we're all alert to not ignore things like this."

She said Cho was referred to the counseling service, but she said she did not know when, or what the outcome was.

Cho, from Centreville, Va., a rapidly growing suburb of Washington, D.C., came to the United States in 1992, an investigative source said. He was a legal permanent resident.

His family runs a dry cleaning business and he has a sister who attended Princeton University, according to the source.

Investigators believe Cho at some point had been taking medication for depression. They are examining Cho's computer for more evidence.

The gunman's family lived in an off-white, two-story town house in Centreville.

"He was very quiet, always by himself," neighbor Abdul Shash said of the gunman. Shash said the gunman spent a lot of his free time playing basketball, and wouldn't respond if someone greeted him. He described the family as quiet.

Marshall Main, who lives across the street, said the family had lived in the townhouse for several years.

According to court records, Virginia Tech Police issued a speeding ticket to Cho on April 7 for going 44 mph in a 25 mph zone, and he had a court date set for May 23.

Cho was found among the 31 dead found in an engineering hall. Police said the victims laid over four classrooms and a stairwell.

"He was a loner," said Larry Hincker, a university spokesman, who added that investigators are having some difficulty unearthing information about him.

A law enforcement official, speaking on condition of anonymity because the information had not been announced, said Cho was carrying a backpack that contained receipts for a March purchase of a Glock 9 mm pistol.

Ballistics tests by the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms showed that one gun was used in Monday's two separate campus attacks that were two hours apart.

As a permanent legal resident of the United States, Cho was eligible to buy a handgun unless he had been convicted of any felony criminal charges, a federal immigration official said.

Police said Cho killed 30 people in a Virginia Tech engineering building Monday morning and then killed himself.

Another two students were shot to death two hours earlier in a dorm room on the opposite side of the university's sprawling 2,600-acre campus, bringing the day's death toll to 33.

Students at Harper Hall, the campus dormitory where Cho lived, said they had little interaction with him and no insight into what might have motivated the attack.

Officials said the same gun was used in the attack in the dorm room and the larger-scale classroom killings.

"At this time, the evidence does not conclusively identify Cho as the gunman at both locations," said Col. W. Steven Flaherty, superintendent of Virginia State Police.

All classes at Virginia Tech will be closed for the remainder of the week, said school President Charles Steger.

Campus holds convocation

The new details were revealed as the university underwent a day of mourning.

Thousands of people gathered in the basketball arena, and when it filled up, thousands more filed into the football stadium, for a memorial service for the victims. President Bush and the first lady attended.

"Laura and I have come to Blacksburg today with hearts full of sorrow," he said in six-minute remarks. "This is a day of mourning for the Virginia Tech community and it is a day of sadness for our entire nation.

Steger received a 30-second standing ovation, despite bitter complaints from parents and students that the university should have locked down the campus immediately after the first burst of gunfire. Steger expressed hope that "we will awaken from this horrible nightmare."

Many students showed up for the memorial service hours ahead of time, some in tears or carrying flowers. There was already an overflow crowd at the arena by early afternoon, and many people arriving were turned away.

Some victims' names released

Among the dead was a professor, Liviu Librescu. Students who were in Librescu's engineering class at Norris Hall told the Tribune late Monday that the professor tried to protect the students in his class when they realized a gunmen was loose in the building.

Alec Calhoun was in Librescu's solid mechanics engineering class when gunfire erupted in the room next door. He said Librescu, went to the door and pushed himself against it in case the shooter tried to come in.

Librescu, an Israeli, was born in Romania and was known internationally for his research in aeronautical engineering.

Also killed were:

- Ross Abdallah Alameddine, 20, of Saugus, Mass., according to his mother, Lynnette Alameddine.

- Christopher James Bishop, 35, according to Darmstadt University of Technology in Germany, where he helped run an exchange program.

- Ryan Clark, 22, of Martinez, Ga., biology and English major, according to Columbia County Coroner Vernon Collins.

- Jocelyn Couture-Nowak, a French instructor, according to her husband, Jerzy Nowak, the head of the horticulture department at Virginia Tech.

- Daniel Perez Cueva, 21, killed in his French class, according to his mother, Betty Cueva, of Peru.

- Kevin Granata, age unknown, engineering science and mechanics professor, according to Ishwar K. Puri, the head of the engineering science and mechanics department.

- Caitlin Hammaren, 19, of Westtown, N.Y., a sophomore majoring in international studies and French, according to Minisink Valley, N.Y., school officials who spoke with Hammaren's family.

- Jeremy Herbstritt, 27, of Bellefonte, Pa., according to Penn State University, his alma mater and his father's employer.

- Emily Jane Hilscher, a 19-year-old freshman from Woodville, according to Rappahannock County Administrator John W. McCarthy, a family friend.

- Jarrett L. Lane, 22, of Narrows, Va., according to Riffe's Funeral Service Inc. in Narrows, Va.

- Matthew J. La Porte, 20, a freshman from Dumont, N.J., according to Dumont Police Chief Brian Venezio.

- G.V. Loganathan, 51, civil and environmental engineering professor, according to his brother G.V. Palanivel.

- Daniel O'Neil, 22, according to close friend Steve Craveiro and according to Eric Cardenas of Connecticut College, where O'Neil's father, Bill, is director of major gifts.

- Juan Ramon Ortiz, a 26-year-old graduate student in engineering from Bayamon, Puerto Rico, according to his wife, Liselle Vega Cortes.

- Mary Karen Read, 19, of Annandale, Va. according to her aunt, Karen Kuppinger, of Rochester, N.Y.

- Reema J. Samaha, 18, a freshman from Centreville, Va., according to her family.

Tribune staff reporters E.A. Torriero and Rex W. Huppke, the Tribune's Washington bureau and the Associated Press contributed. <cite>Copyright ? 2007, Chicago Tribune</cite>

CUBSFAN

EOG Veteran

This is a tragedy indeed

However, look at the facts and it seems an easy place to attack for any other psyco and or terrorist.

Here at IU it isnt uncommon to have 200-300 people one classroom at a time. Almost every colleges in America doesnt allow students to carry weapons. hundreds of people unexpecting and helpless is a recipe for disaster. Every college should reconsider their weapons policys imo. At least allow professors to arm themselves at the very least.

dirty

EOG Master

[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif]Va. Gunman Had 2 Previous Stalking Cases[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif]<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td bgcolor="#cbcbcd"><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td height="2">
</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table> [FONT=Verdana,Sans-Serif]Email this Story[/FONT]

Apr 18, 10:45 AM (ET)

By ADAM GELLER[/FONT] <table align="right" border="0" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="0" width="210"><tbody><tr><td align="center"><table border="1" bordercolor="#cbcbcd" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="0" width="150"><tbody><tr><td><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr align="center"><td></td></tr><tr><td>[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif](AP) Reagan Cannon of Halifax, Va., left, embraces friend Rececca Buckman, also of Halifax, in front of...
Full Image
[/FONT]</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr><tr><td width="100%"> <script> if (NAV_NS&&NAV_VER<6) document.write("
"); else document.write("
"); </script>
<script> var fiMaxNumSponLinks = 5; var fiSponLinksDivHgt = 195; var fiSponLinkTarget = new Array(); var globHtmlWriteSponSideBar1Obj = new Object(); globHtmlWriteSponSideBar1Obj.type = '8'; fiSponLinkTarget[0]= new Array('gca_sidebar1', globHtmlWriteSponSideBar1Obj); fiSponLinkTarget[1]= new Array('gca_sidebar1', globHtmlWriteSponSideBar1Obj); fiSponLinksChannelTag = 'excite_myway_news_js'; document.write('<table border=0 cellpadding=2 cellspacing=0 width=210 height=199><tr bgcolor=#E2E2E2 align=center><td><table border=0 cellpadding=6 cellspacing=0 width=100% bgcolor=#ffffff height=100%><tr><td>
</td></tr></table></td></tr></table>
'); </script><table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" height="199" width="210"><tbody><tr align="center" bgcolor="#e2e2e2"><td><table bgcolor="#ffffff" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" height="100%" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td align="center" height="20" valign="middle">[FONT=Verdana,Sans-Serif,Arial]Google sponsored links[/FONT]</td></tr></tbody></table><table align="center" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" height="166" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td>[FONT=Verdana,Sans-Serif,Arial]Coffee Exposed - A secret that coffee co's don't want you to know.
www.coffeefool.com

Haiti Ringtone - Send this ringtone to your phone right now!
BestRingDownloads.com

[/FONT]</td></tr></tbody></table>
</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>
</td></tr></tbody></table>[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif] BLACKSBURG, Va. (AP) - The gunman blamed for the deadliest shooting in modern U.S. history had previously been accused of stalking two female students and had been taken to a mental health facility in 2005 after his parents worried he might be suicidal, police said Wednesday.
Cho Seung-Hui had concerned one woman enough with his calls and e-mail in 2005 that police were called in, said Police Chief Wendell Flinchum.
He said the woman declined to press charges and Cho was referred to the university disciplinary system. During one of those incidents, both in late 2005, the department received a call from Cho's parents who were concerned that he might be suicidal, and he was taken to a mental health facility, he said.
Flinchum said he knew of no other police incidents involving Cho until the deadly shootings Monday, first at a girl's dorm room and then a classroom building across campus. Neither of the stalking victims was among the victims Monday.
<table align="left" border="0" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="0" width="210"><tbody><tr><td align="center"><table border="1" bordercolor="#cbcbcd" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="0" width="150"><tbody><tr><td><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr align="center"><td></td></tr><tr><td>[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif](AP) Flowers are seen at the site of a makeshift memorial left on the Virginia Tech campus in...
Full Image
[/FONT]</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>Thirty-two people were shot to death before the gunman killed himself. State Police have said the same gun was used in both shootings, but they said Wednesday said they still weren't confident that it was the same gunman.
Police searched Cho's door room on Tuesday and recovered, among other items, a chain and combination lock, according to documents filed Wednesday; the front doors of Norris Hall had been chained shut from the inside during the shooting rampage.
Other items seized include a folding knife; two computers, a hard disk and other computer disks; documents, books, notebooks and other writings; a digital camera; CDs; and two Dremel tools.
Cho's roommates and professors on Wednesday described him as a troubled, very quiet young man who rarely spoke to his roommates or made eye contact with them.
His bizarre behavior became even less predictable in recent weeks, roommates Joseph Aust and Karan Grewal said.
<table align="right" border="0" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="0" width="210"><tbody><tr><td align="center"><table border="1" bordercolor="#cbcbcd" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="0" width="150"><tbody><tr><td><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr align="center"><td></td></tr><tr><td>[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif](AP) Thousands gather for a candlelight vigil on the Virginia Tech Drillfield, Tuesday, April 17 2007,...
Full Image
[/FONT]</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>Grewal had pulled an all-nighter on homework the day of the shootings and saw Cho at around 5 a.m.
"He didn't look me in the eye. Same old thing. I left him alone," He told CNN. He said when he saw Cho that morning and during the weekend, Cho didn't smile, didn't frown and didn't show any signs of anger. Grewal also said he never saw any weapons.
Several students and professors described Cho as a sullen loner. Authorities said he left a rambling note raging against women and rich kids. News reports said that Cho, a 23-year-old senior majoring in English, may have been taking medication for depression and that he was becoming increasingly erratic.
Professors and classmates were alarmed by his class writings - pages filled with twisted, violence-drenched writing.
"It was not bad poetry. It was intimidating," poet Nikki Giovanni, one of his professors, told CNN Wednesday.
<table align="left" border="0" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="0" width="210"><tbody><tr><td align="center"><table border="1" bordercolor="#cbcbcd" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="0" width="150"><tbody><tr><td><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr align="center"><td></td></tr><tr><td>[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif](AP) Shootings at a dorm and classroom on the Virginia Tech campus Monday, April 16, 2007, left at least...
Full Image
[/FONT]</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>"I know we're talking about a youngster, but troubled youngsters get drunk and jump off buildings," she said. "There was something mean about this boy. It was the meanness - I've taught troubled youngsters and crazy people - it was the meanness that bothered me. It was a really mean streak."
Giovanni said her students were so unnerved by Cho's behavior, including taking pictures of them with his cell phone, that some stopped coming to class and she had security check on her room. She eventually had him taken out of her class, saying she would quit if he wasn't removed.
Lucinda Roy, a co-director of creative writing at Virginia Tech, said she tutored Cho after that.
"He was so distant and so lonely," she told ABC's "Good Morning America" Wednesday. "It was almost like talking to a hole, as though he wasn't there most of the time. He wore sunglasses and his hat very low so it was hard to see his face."
Roy also described using a code word with her assistant to call police if she ever felt threatened by Cho, but she said she never used it.
Cho's writing was so disturbing, though, he was referred to the university's counseling service, said Carolyn Rude, chairwoman of the university's English department.
In screenplays Cho wrote for a class last fall, characters throw hammers and attack with chainsaws, said a student who attended Virginia Tech last fall. In another, Cho concocted a tale of students who fantasize about stalking and killing a teacher who sexually molested them.
"When we read Cho's plays, it was like something out of a nightmare," former classmate Ian MacFarlane, now an AOL employee, wrote in a blog posted on an AOL Web site.
"The plays had really twisted, macabre violence that used weapons I wouldn't have even thought of."
He said he and other students "were talking to each other with serious worry about whether he could be a school shooter."
"We always joked we were just waiting for him to do something, waiting to hear about something he did," said another classmate, Stephanie Derry. "But when I got the call it was Cho who had done this, I started crying, bawling."
Despite the many warning signs that came to light in the bloody aftermath, police and university officials offered no clues as to exactly what set Cho off.
Cho - who arrived in the United States as boy from South Korea in 1992 and was raised in suburban Washington, D.C., where his parents worked at a dry cleaners - left a note that was found after the bloodbath.
A law enforcement official described it Tuesday as a typed, eight-page rant against rich kids and religion. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the media.
"You caused me to do this," the official quoted the note as saying.
Cho indicated in his letter that the end was near and that there was a deed to be done, the official said. He also expressed disappointment in his own religion, and made several references to Christianity, the official said.
The official said the letter was either found in Cho's dorm room or in his backpack. The backpack was found in the hallway of the classroom building where the shootings happened, and contained several rounds of ammunition, the official said.
With classes canceled for the rest of the week, many students left town.
Tuesday night, thousands of Virginia Tech students, faculty and area residents poured into the center of campus to grieve together. Volunteers passed out thousands of candles in paper cups, donated from around the country. Then, as the flames flickered, speakers urged them to find solace in one another.
As silence spread across the grassy bowl of the drill field, a pair of trumpets began to play taps. A few in the crowd began to sing Amazing Grace.
Afterward, students, some weeping, others holding each other for support, gathered around makeshift memorials, filling banners and plywood boards with messages belying their pain.
"I think this is something that will take a while. It still hasn't hit a lot of people yet," said Amber McGee, a freshman from Wytheville, Va.
Monday's rampage consisted of two attacks, more than two hours apart - first at a dormitory, where two people were killed, then inside a classroom building, where 31 people, including Cho, died. Two handguns - a 9 mm and a .22-caliber - were found in the classroom building.
According to court papers, police found a "bomb threat" note - directed at engineering school buildings - near the victims in the classroom building. In the past three weeks, Virginia Tech was hit with two other bomb threats. Investigators have not connected those earlier threats to Cho.
Cho graduated from Westfield High School in Chantilly, Va., in 2003. His family lived in an off-white, two-story townhouse in Centreville, Va.
At least one of those killed in the rampage, Reema Samaha, graduated from Westfield High in 2006. But there was no immediate word from authorities on whether Cho knew the young woman and singled her out.
"He was very quiet, always by himself," neighbor Abdul Shash said. Shash said Cho spent a lot of his free time playing basketball and would not respond if someone greeted him.
Some classmates said that on the first day of a British literature class last year, the 30 or so students went around and introduced themselves. When it was Cho's turn, he didn't speak.
On the sign-in sheet where everyone else had written their names, Cho had written a question mark. "Is your name, 'Question mark?'" classmate Julie Poole recalled the professor asking. The young man offered little response.
Cho spent much of that class sitting in the back of the room, wearing a hat and seldom participating. In a small department, Cho distinguished himself for being anonymous. "He didn't reach out to anyone. He never talked," Poole said.
"We just really knew him as the question mark kid," Poole said.
One law enforcement official said Cho's backpack contained a receipt for a March purchase of a Glock 9 mm pistol. Cho held a green card, meaning he was a legal, permanent resident. That meant he was eligible to buy a handgun unless he had been convicted of a felony.
Roanoke Firearms owner John Markell said his shop sold the Glock and a box of practice ammo to Cho 36 days ago for $571.
"He was a nice, clean-cut college kid. We won't sell a gun if we have any idea at all that a purchase is suspicious," Markell said.
Investigators stopped short of saying Cho carried out both attacks. But State Police ballistics tests showed one gun was used in both.
And two law enforcement officials, speaking on condition of anonymity because the information had not been announced, said Cho's fingerprints were on both guns. Their serial numbers had been filed off.
Gov. Tim Kaine said he will appoint a panel at the university's request to review authorities' handling of the disaster. Parents and students bitterly complained that the university should have locked down the campus immediately after the first burst of gunfire and did not do enough to warn people.
Kaine warned against making snap judgments and said he had "nothing but loathing" for those who take the tragedy and "make it their political hobby horse to ride."
"I'm satisfied that the university did everything they felt they needed to do with the heat on the table," Kaine told CBS'"The Early Show" on Wednesday. "Nobody has this in the playbook, there's no manual on this."
Virginia Tech students still on edge got another scare Wednesday morning as police in SWAT gear with weapons drawn swarmed Burruss Hall, which houses the president's office.
The threat targeted the university president but was unfounded, said Police Chief Wendell Flinchum. The building quickly reopened, but students were rattled.
"They were just screaming, 'Get off the sidewalks,'" said Terryn Wingler-Petty, a junior from Wisconsin. "They seemed very confused about what was going on. They were just trying to get people organized."
One officer was seen escorting a crying young woman out of Burruss Hall, telling her, "It's OK. It's OK."
---
Associated Press writers Stephen Manning in Centreville, Va.; Matt Barakat in Richmond, Va.; Lara Jakes Jordan and Beverley Lumpkin in Washington; and Vicki Smith, Sue Lindsey, Matt Apuzzo and Justin Pope in Blacksburg contributed to this report.

[/FONT]

BLACKSBURG, Va. - The Virginia Tech gunman mailed a package of photographs, video and writings to NBC News in New York before he killed himself in the massacre that left 33 people dead, authorities said Wednesday. NBC said that a time stamp on the package indicated the material was mailed in the two-hour window between the first burst of gunfire in a high-rise dormitory and the second fusillade, at a classroom building.
<SCRIPT language=JavaScript>var form_url = "http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12gmv1s09/M=569313.10385650.11028486.1442997/D=news/S=8903239:LREC/_ylt=ArKIQ.vffClkMt1y3yq0KmZH2ocA/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1176937478/A=4532867/R=0/SIG=110d0aq6c/*http://search.yahoo.com/search";var hd_url = "http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12gmv1s09/M=569313.10385650.11028486.1442997/D=news/S=8903239:LREC/_ylt=ArKIQ.vffClkMt1y3yq0KmZH2ocA/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1176937478/A=4532867/R=1/SIG=11ba2ttvn/*http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=mpu-mov";var redir = "http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12gmv1s09/M=569313.10385650.11028486.1442997/D=news/S=8903239:LREC/_ylt=ArKIQ.vffClkMt1y3yq0KmZH2ocA/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1176937478/A=4532867/R=2/SIG=113olbuu9/*http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=";var fr = "mpu-mov";var end = "&fr=mpu-mov";var col1 = "100";var col2 = "103";var col3 = "97";var f1 = "font:12px helvetica,sans-serif;color:#00f;";var f2 = "font:12px helvetica,sans-serif;color:#00f;display:block;padding:0 0 4px;";var f3 = "font:12px helvetica,sans-serif;color:#00f;display:block;padding:3px 0 4px;";var f4 = "font:12px helvetica,sans-serif;color:#00f;display:block;padding:3px 0 0";var i_loc = "http://ads.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/ya/yahoo_search3/20070320_1_300x250_lrec_mov_arewedoneyet1.jpg";var i2_loc = "http://ads.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/ya/yahoo_search3/20070320_1_300x250_lrec_mov_arewedoneyet2.jpg";var bg = "http://ads.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/ya/yahoo_search3/20070320_1_300x250_lrec_mov_arewedoneyet_grn_bg.gif";var hd_alt = "In Theaters Now: What the World is Searching for";var btn = "http://ads.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/ya/yahoo_search/051006/20060705_73894_allsizes_mpu_srp_srch_btn.gif";var sp = "http://ads.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/ya/yahoo_search/051006/spacer.gif";var pd1 = "padding-left:3px";var pd2 = "padding-left:14px";var t1_u = redir + "Are+We+Done+Yet?" + end;var t1_n = "Are We Done Yet?";var t6_u = redir + "Blades+of+Glory" + end;var t6_n = "Blades of Glory";var t3_u = redir + "Meet+the+Robinsons" + end;var t3_n = "Meet the Robinsons";var t4_u = redir + "Skinwalkers" + end;var t4_n = "Skinwalkers";var t5_u = redir + "Firehouse+Dog" + end;var t5_n = "Firehouse Dog";var t2_u = redir + "Grindhouse" + end;var t2_n = "Grindhouse";</SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript src="http://ads.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/ya/yahoo_search3//20070305_83084_1_300x250_lrec_ent_gr.js"></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=javascript>if(window.yzq_d==null)window.yzq_d=new Object();window.yzq_d['cLmfH9GDJHE-']='&U=13bgfdk2k%2fN%3dcLmfH9GDJHE-%2fC%3d569313.10385650.11028486.1442997%2fD%3dLREC%2fB%3d4532867';</SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>
"This may be a very new, critical component of this investigation. We're in the process right now of attempting to analyze and evaluate its worth," said Col. Steve Flaherty, superintendent of Virginia State Police. He gave no details on the material.
NBC said it immediately turned the package — containing what the network described as a "lengthy diatribe" from Cho Seung-Hi — over to authorities on Wednesday.
NBC would not disclose the contents beyond characterizing the material as "disturbing." The was sent to NBC News head Steve Capus.
If the package was indeed mailed between the first attack and the second, that would help explain where Cho was and what he did during that two-hour window.

dirty

EOG Master

Manifesto Excerpts

<embed src="http://www.liveleak.com/player.swf" width="450" height="370" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" flashvars="autostart=false&token=0b5_1176937612" scale="showall" name="index"></embed>

NEW YORK - With a backlash developing against the media for airing sickening pictures from Virginia Tech shooter Cho Seung-Hui, Fox News Channel said Thursday it would stop and other networks said they would severely limit their use.
<SCRIPT language=javascript>if(window.yzq_d==null)window.yzq_d=new Object();window.yzq_d['AdbyJdGDJGU-']='&U=13bjuhljm%2fN%3dAdbyJdGDJGU-%2fC%3d571699.10575572.11206213.1442997%2fD%3dLREC%2fB%3d4429547';</SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>
NBC News was the recipient Wednesday of Cho's package of rambling, hate-filled video and written messages, with several pictures of him posing with a gun. Contents began airing on "Nightly News," and its rivals quickly used them, too.
Family members of victims canceled plans to appear on NBC's "Today" show Thursday because they "were very upset" with the network for showing the pictures, "Today" host Meredith Vieira said.
Virginia State Police Col. Steve Flaherty ? who praised NBC Wednesday for coming to authorities first with the package ? said Thursday he was disappointed with what the network showed.
"I just hate that a lot of people not used to seeing that type of image had to see it," he said.
NBC said the material was aired because it helped to answer the question of why Cho killed 32 people and himself on the Virginia Tech campus Monday.
"The decision to run this video was reached by virtually every news organization in the world, as evidenced by coverage on television, on Web sites and in newspapers," NBC said in a statement. "We have covered this story ? and our unique role in it ? with extreme sensitivity, underscored by our devoted efforts to remember and honor the victims and heroes of this tragic incident."
NBC and its MSNBC cable outlet will "severely limit" use of these pictures going forward, "Today" host Matt Lauer said, a restriction echoed by ABC News. At both CBS News and CNN, producers will need explicit approval from their bosses to use them going forward.
Fox News announced on the air late Thursday morning that it would no longer air Cho's material, saying "sometimes you change your mind."
These decisions, of course, came more than 12 hours after the pictures became available, after they already made their impact. The news cycle dictates they would be used less, anyway.
"It has value as breaking news," said ABC News spokesman Jeffrey Schneider, "but then becomes practically pornographic as it is just repeated ad nauseam."
Jon Klein, president of CNN U.S., said the decision to air it was a tough call.
"As breaking news, it's pertinent to our understanding of why this was done," he said. "Then, once the public has seen the material and digested it, then it's fair to say, `How much should we be showing it?' I think it's to the credit of news organizations that they are dialing back."
NBC News said it had no indication why Cho chose it for his message. A Postal Service time stamp shows it was mailed at 9:01 a.m. Monday, during the two hours between his first shooting at a Virginia Tech dorm and his massacre at a classroom building.
___
NBC News is owned by General Electric Co.

AFTER THEY WERE SHOWING THESE VIDEOS NON-STOP ON CNN LAST NIGHT AND PROBABLY EVERY OTHER NEWS CHANNELS