DO YOU THINK DON IMUS SHOULD HAVE BEEN FIRED?

I 'd love to hear what some of you think...

I feel very strongly about this and will share why I DON'T believe he should have been fired when I am not so sleepy....

Ken

PO69

EOG Master
Re: DO YOU THINK DON IMUS SHOULD HAVE BEEN FIRED?

I dont think that he should have been fired at all. Really i had never even heard of the guy until this shit happened. I would imagine that 80% of the USA had never even heard of him either until this. For sponsors and his station, that is troubling that the ONLY THING that people know about this cat is that he is an idiot. I might have actually tried to find his show on the radio if he was still on. But I wouldnt have known where to look for his show anyway.

At first, I had thought that he might have said this on purpose. It creates media hysteria and would thus increase his audience by 50000% if that is even a number. But he will be back somewhere in the future

gmon

EOG Senior Member

FIRED FOR WHAT ? SAYING THOSE THREE WORDS.
BOTTOMLINE IS AS IT ALWAYS IS......... MONEY. DON IMUS AND HIS HIS SHOW HAS BEEN SLIPPING IN THE RATINGS FOR QUITE SOME TIME. FOR YEARS WHEN HE HAD THE MORNING DRIVE'S BIGGEST NUMBERS, HE COULD SAY WHATEVER HE WANTED AND THE ADVERTISERS KEPT HIM AT THE MICROPHONE. BUT WHEN GENERAL MOTORS, STAPLES AND A COUPLE OTHERS JUMPED SHIP, IMUS WAS SUNK.

WHAT GETS ME IS, IT WASN'T UNTIL THREE DAYS AFTER WHAT HE SAID WHEN THIS THING REALLY GOT ROLLING AND WHAT FOLLOWED WAS WORSE. THE RUTGERS COACH AT HER PRESS CONFERENCE GOING ON FOR 30 MINUTES ABOUT THE TEAMS ARDUOUS SEASON AND THERE DEDICATION AND THE HARD WORK AND THE LONG TRAINING AND THE INADEQUATE HOTELS AND THE BRUTAL SCHEDULE AND THE MEDIOCRE FOOD AND THE AWFUL RIMS AND THE CRUMMY REFEREES AND THE CRAPPY BUS RIDES AND THE DREADFUL AWAY GAMES AND THE SLEAZY RECRUITING AND THE CHEESY MEDIA PROBES AND BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH,BLAH.........
AND DON'T FORGET.........LET THE HEALING BEGIN. :LMAO

maverick

EOG Veteran

hypocrisy at its best in the USA............

When he gets rehired at another place I will tune in.............

maverick

EOG Veteran

I dont think that he should have been fired at all. Really i had never even heard of the guy until this shit happened. I would imagine that 80% of the USA had never even heard of him either until this. For sponsors and his station, that is troubling that the ONLY THING that people know about this cat is that he is an idiot. I might have actually tried to find his show on the radio if he was still on. But I wouldnt have known where to look for his show anyway.

At first, I had thought that he might have said this on purpose. It creates media hysteria and would thus increase his audience by 50000% if that is even a number. But he will be back somewhere in the future

Far from an idiot........he had guests on his show from everywhere.......sports, music, politics etc.etc.etc

If you had never heard of Don Imus then I would have to say then you need to get out a bit.........he has been around since the 70's and has been very influential in the political scene........lots of politicians went on his show for the publicity.......they dont do that for no reason

dirty

EOG Master

I would say 80% of the people in the US have heard of Imus... if you haven't you are a Recluse....

If people were so outraged, they should have just not tuned him in. People on the radio are paid to be controversial. People on TV are paid to look good and be politically correct.

The Devil

EOG Master

PLAYERS....IMUS HAS BEEN ON THE RADIO FOREVER.......MAYBE MORE LIKE 20% OF THE PEOPLE NEVER HEARD OF HIM........

HE SHOULDN'T HAVE SAID WHAT HE SAID........IF HE DID IT IN A NIGHT CLUB ACT PEOPLE WOULD HAVE LAUGHED......SAME AS THEY DO WHEN ALL THE BLACK AND WHITE COMICES USE RACE IN THEIR ACT.......PEOPLE ARE MUCH TO SENSITIVE ABOUT THESE TYPES OF LINES........I HEAR ITALIAN JOKES ALL THE TIME....I LAUGH.....I TELL POLISH JOKES......I LAUGH.....I DON'T THINK IMUS SHOULD HAVE BEEN SINGLED OUT FOR SOMETHING THAT A BARKLEY OR A RAPPER CAN GET AWAY WITH.......

maverick

EOG Veteran

People should look into what he does for kids with terminal cancer with his ranch in New Mexico.........thats doesnt make what he said right but it shows a person where his heart is.........he sure went out his way in his apology...........

I guess I just really thought his apology was sincere and not just a bunch of BS...........Just my opinion.........

Another thing about his ratings..........he was on at like 6am to 9am in the morning on the east coast so in that time slot I would imagine it would be pretty early for some..........not the most desireable time slot for the best ratings.........

dirty

EOG Master

Morning Drive in the East Coast is a Prime Spot.. Most people would Kill for that or Afternoon Drive.. 2 highest profile times to be on the Radio..

6-10 AM and 3-7 PM

I know when I used to buy ad time on the Radio that was when the Highest rates are, becuase that is the prime spots

That is why some shows end at 9 so the ones that follow in the 9/10-12/1 spot will get some of that large audience and they hope they can keep them

maverick

EOG Veteran

Morning Drive in the East Coast is a Prime Spot.. Most people would Kill for that or Afternoon Drive.. 2 highest profile times to be on the Radio..

6-10 AM and 3-7 PM

I know when I used to buy ad time on the Radio that was when the Highest rates are, becuase that is the prime spots

I am on MST and the MSNBC similcast was like 3-7 in the morning so maybe the radio show is at a different time.......

If he was on at say 9am eastern then he would be on at 7am here but the MSNBC is off at 7am

PO69

EOG Master

PLAYERS....IMUS HAS BEEN ON THE RADIO FOREVER.......MAYBE MORE LIKE 20% OF THE PEOPLE NEVER HEARD OF HIM........

HE SHOULDN'T HAVE SAID WHAT HE SAID........IF HE DID IT IN A NIGHT CLUB ACT PEOPLE WOULD HAVE LAUGHED......SAME AS THEY DO WHEN ALL THE BLACK AND WHITE COMICES USE RACE IN THEIR ACT.......PEOPLE ARE MUCH TO SENSITIVE ABOUT THESE TYPES OF LINES........I HEAR ITALIAN JOKES ALL THE TIME....I LAUGH.....I TELL POLISH JOKES......I LAUGH.....I DON'T THINK IMUS SHOULD HAVE BEEN SINGLED OUT FOR SOMETHING THAT A BARKLEY OR A RAPPER CAN GET AWAY WITH.......

Well I had actually heard of him since I saw him on MSNBC last year or so once. But he isnt on the radio around here that I know of before he said this

Rxx

EOG Veteran

If people were so outraged, they should have just not tuned him in. People on the radio are paid to be controversial. People on TV are paid to look good and be politically correct.

People on radio and TV are paid to entertain. The stations have to sell advertisements to pay people to entertain; unless of course listeners are subscribers who are then paying indirectly in that route. If I, as CBS, see my revenues suddenly drop because they dont want to sponsor a show anymore then i have a fiduciary duty to my shareholders and an ethical duty to my audience to reevaluate Imus.
Imus personalized an offensive rant on a group of people who did absolutely nothing to deserve such. It isnt like Chris Rock or various rappers making commentary in a generic sense.
I wont be surprised if Imus lands in the world of satelite radio. I dont begrudge his ability to generate an audience and find work in radio but I also dont bedgrudge CBS for fining his ass either.

dirty

EOG Master

The original is in the Dump, had to remove a racist post... Guys it will not be tolerated

60 minutes had some old footage of Imus shows he's been saying racest comments and jokes about everyone for along time it seems

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

first off Imus was NOT fired for these remarks ONLY - these remarks were "the straw that broke the camel's back" and in and of themselves he would NOT have been fired. however - when all the advertisers pulled out of his show - CBS really had no choice but to let him go - right or wrong

how come everyone is outraged at what Imus said but in the process NOT even more outraged at what 2 people who have an equally "checkered past" have said and done

Jesse Jackson: BLASTED the Duke Lacrosse players and all involved and basically wanted them locked up in jail for life. now that all charges have been dropped - Jesse owes a PUBLIC apology to the players involved because had the tables been turned (OK - so they normally are - i will grant you that) Jesse would have been OUTRAGED. Funny how Jesse hasn't said a WORD abouit this case after it was dismisses. Some years back in a PUBLIC SPEECH Jesse calls NYC "Hymietown" - an insult to the Jewish people. To me when you have it in a public speech that is even worse that off the cuff because off the cuff is something you never planned on saying but did - in a speech means you took the time to think about saying it. To me what Jesse said and did is INFINITE TIMES WORSE than what Imus said and did - yet to this day Jesse NEVER apologized for either of these 2

Al Sharpton: Also part of the Duke case - also NEVER apologized for it. And whatever you think about what Imus said/did - what Al Sharpton did in the "Tawana Brawley" case is A MILLION TIMES WORSE than what Imus said. Once again if the tables were turned and the accuser was white and going after black men and it was later found out the white woman was lying and put up to do this Blubber Butt Al would never shut up. But somehow Blubber Butt not only NEVER apologized he has yet to pay the fine levied against him

What Imus said was NOT right - but compared to the DISGRACEFUL actions of Jesse and Al - what Imus said is "angelic". Funny how NO ONE is asking for Jesse and Al to be fired and to shut up and go away for doing stuff INFINITE times worse than what Imus said/did

Cannon

Banned

He should have been fired 15 years ago because he sucks!!!

marlboro8425

EOG Senior Member

dirty, i didnt think my post was racist, but i respect the forum and ur decision to erase it. wont happen again.

Have watched/listened to Imus for years. He's made similar disparaging comments about others on a regular basis. Pushed the right button this time though. I hope he hits satellite. I believe he'll be one shit talking fool recapping this stuff.

I can call the day he began his march to senility. Had Larry the Cable Guy and Delbert McClinton in studio on back to back days. Compared it to having "Elvis and the Beatles."

Might be best for Imus to get on the I-Jet and fly off into the sunset. I'm fairly certain his good looking much younger "ice queen" wife has post-Imus plans well in the works.

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

Imus shit canned while Limbaugh stays on the air with HIS LONG LIST OF RACIAL COMMENTARIES???

As a young broadcaster in the 1970s, Limbaugh once told a black caller: "Take that bone out of your nose and call me back." A decade ago, after becoming nationally syndicated, he mused on the air: "Have you ever noticed how all composite pictures of wanted criminals resemble Jesse Jackson?"

In 1992, on his now-defunct TV show, Limbaugh expressed his ire when Spike Lee urged that black schoolchildren get off from school to see his film Malcolm X: "Spike, if you're going to do that, let's complete the education experience. You should tell them that they should loot the theater, and then blow it up on their way out."

In a similar vein, here is Limbaugh's mocking take on the NAACP, a group with a ninety-year commitment to nonviolence: "The NAACP should have riot rehearsal. They should get a liquor store and practice robberies."

When Carol Moseley-Braun (D-IL) was in the U.S. Senate, the first black woman ever elected to that body, Limbaugh would play the "Movin' On Up" theme song from TV's "Jeffersons" when he mentioned her. Limbaugh sometimes still uses mock dialect -- substituting "ax" for "ask"-- when discussing black leaders.

Such quotes and antics -- many compiled by Fairness & Accuracy In Reporting (FAIR) for our 1995 book -- offer a whiff of Limbaugh's racial sensibility. So does his claim that racism in America "is fueled primarily by the rantings and ravings" of people like Jesse Jackson. Or his ugly reference two years ago to the father of Madonna's first child, a Latino, as "a gang-member type guy" -- an individual with no gang background.

In 1994, Limbaugh mocked St. Louis for building a rail line to East St. Louis "where nobody goes." East St. Louis is home to roughly 40,000 residents -- 98 percent of whom are African-Americans. One of its 40,000 "nobodies" is star NFL linebacker Bryan Cox.

Once, in response to a caller arguing that black people need to be heard, Limbaugh responded: "They are 12 percent of the population. Who the hell cares?" That's not an unusual response for a talk radio host playing to an audience of "angry white males." It may not play so well among National Football League players, 70 percent of whom are African American.

CHARLIEPEETE

EOG Dedicated

:hung I WOULD HAVE PUT HIM ON THE SIDELINES FOR 6 MONTHS..................................

I think he should not have been fired. But unfortunately money talks and advertisers pulling out are what drive this to happen. I figure Imus will end up better off somehow by all of it though. Think back to how much his old buddy Howard Stern went through the same thing.

IGAMBLER

EOG Addicted

I heard on the talk show that some of the sponsors have African-Americans as heads of the companies (CEO'S),and thus the firing.

dirty

EOG Master

dirty, i didnt think my post was racist, but i respect the forum and ur decision to erase it. wont happen again.

Thanks man... NOthing personal, I have just seen where comments like that escalate into a free for all and we don't need that.... :cheers

Lawrence

EOG Dedicated

No he should not have been fired. He fukked up by going on Sharptons show

I have never heard his radio show. If someone simulcasted it here, it would have been on in the middle of the night.

As for his MSNBC show... I had seen bits of it EARLY in the morning for some time but I just didn't think he was funny and always flipped the channel. I suppose he was a big deal on the east coast but nobody out here that I know really had any opinion on him before the Rutgers comments.

As far as his comments are concerned... Howard Stern, Comedy Central stand-ups, etc. say far worse every day.

Imus was sacraficed for political correctness and I don't care either way, the guy had a crummy show.

Hitdogg42

EOG Dedicated

Not for what he said, but if you have show with NO sponsors, his ratings sucked but he brought in big sponsor money, so when they pulled out you have no choice........Redbones has a sign up stating that he will not have his TV's on CBS OR NBC until May 1, as a boycott, pretty cool on Rod's part.....

Hitdogg

minnyace01

EOG Addicted

Without a doubt, he should NOT have been fired for it. It gets down to the bottom line and this was the best excuse that they could come up with.

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master

IMUS and the GREASEMAN can comiserate together......two idiots who should have known better.:houra :houra :houra :houra

NickPappagiorgio

EOG Dedicated

There is no way that what Imus said was a fireable offense. It goes to show how something can snowball into this. For the record, I agree with what Imus was trying to say. The Tennessee womens basketball team is far better looking that The Rutgers womens basketball team. For those who did not know this, that was the context in which he said his comments. I dont necessarily agree with the terms he used to describe the Rutgers team, but they werent as good looking as Tenn. There was a post on here the night of the championship game talking about how pretty Candace Parker was.

I think the tragedy of this whole situation is that Imus was allowed to stay on the air for an extra week because of his radiothon, which raised over $3.5 million for SIDS Research and a charity that helps kids with cancer. I believe that if he was suspended immediately, much of this would not have happened.

Katie

EOG Master

while i think that it was wrong for him to say what he did i think it was extreme for him to be fired...

he is a SHOCK JOCK afterall....

that is what he does...

Almost Allright

GO Bucks!!!

Did not care much for his show but I do not think he should of been fired. Besides where do you think a craggly old white man heard or learned the phrase "nappy headed ho". You here black women depicted in far harsher terms in many rap songs. and as far as explotation of black women go, have you checked out any music videos lately.

Then as Winky pointed out in his post regarding Sharpton and Jackson the double standard here is nauseating. Any chance to grab a chance to grandstand and cry injustice, these two clowns leap. and when they are wrong, not a flipping word of forgiveness. Imus appologized to the team fine. But if I was him i would not of wasted a breath on these ass clowns. This is the morality police for the black community. PUHLEASE!!!

And finally I feel the context of the words them self were meant satirically. I know it sure did not come off that way but i think the premise of the comments was a shot at new jersey. Bad joke bad taste, appologize and move on. but not in this society, not this day in age.

nedrow

EOG Dedicated

<TABLE class=tborder id=post692481 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #2b295e 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #2b295e 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #2b295e 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #2b295e 0px solid" width=175>

</TD><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_692481 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #2b295e 1px solid"> Re: DO YOU THINK DON IMUS SHOULD HAVE BEEN FIRED?
<HR style="COLOR: #2b295e" SIZE=1>-no body had his back where was herold ford
-no fire
-was very wrong to say anything bad about kids that just played for an ncaa champship. i wont even metion race ,there great kids.
-2 weeks was right
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

If he had just put on some beats and said he was busting out his new rap song, there wouldn't be a problem!

Al Sharpton jumps on everything and he is on the air and people listen to him! Sharpton also misused campaign funds that he owes cuz he was partying down at fancy hotels. Hardly to be taken seriously.

Jesse Jackson has done nothing to help anyone! He has a non for profit organization that pays him over 200k a year.

Just another headline.:cocktail:cocktail

They all should fight in out in the ring.

look you can't call a team of mostly black woman, nappy headed hos on public radio!! imus is an idiot!! shock jock or not!! it's uncalled for imo.

as for al sharpton and jesse jackson!! imus has nothing on those two bozos as far as being racist! why haven't they apologized for the multitude of racist remarks they have made over the years!
i'll tell you why!! they are a joke!! i just laugh when i see them on tv!! imus should have told sharpton to s his d !!

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

Notice Hoffa wont bring up the scum from the Right like Coutler, Hannity,
Malkin, O'Reilly, Limbaugh, etc

Comedy Central stand-ups, etc. say far worse every day ... REALLY????

:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO

No, he should not have been fired. Worse things are said everyday.
This nation is becoming a panty waisted country where everyone
cries foul if they don't agree with you.
Jason Whitlock is one of the few voices of reason on this issue.
It is ashame that his voice did not carry the day. Instead companies
like Am Ex, GM and Sprint allowed themselves to get hijacked by
Twana Sharpton and Jesse Jackson.

O'Royken

EOG Dedicated

He got fired because it was on liberal networks like NBC and CBS. The same had he been employed by ABC and PBS.

Had it been on FOX he would have kept his job. I wouldn't be surprised if Imus resurfaces on FOX News.