TOP 10 MOST OVERPAID ATHLETES

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
<TABLE class=tPostContainerFirst style="MARGIN: 3px 0px 0px" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 6px" colSpan=2><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=tBackgroundPost style="PADDING-LEFT: 10px" colSpan=3><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=2>
The Top 10 Most-Overpaid Athletes
It's the thing that everybody wants; it's the reason that all the athletes you watch and love/hate play; and, according to one credible source, is what "can't buy you love" -- and the players on this list will agree. For those of you who listen to the Bealtes, you already know what I'm talking about -- Money. Dinero. Cash. Dollars. Bucks. Bling-Bling. Whatever floats your boat. These are simply the players who weren't listening to the Beatles when they signed their multi-million dollar contracts, because it's rediculous.
#1. Peyton Manning - Quarterback, Indianapolis Colts ($14.17 million/year)
That's right. I'll say it. Peyton Manning. Let's start off with the obvious. A seven year contract for an NFL player today -- that's pushing it. To even say that he's going to be able to stay healthy for seven years is asking for criticism -- to say that he's going to be a $14,170,000-caliber player is flat-out rediculous. I'm going to have to agree with Mike Vanderjagt on this one; as long as Peyton Manning and Tony Dungy are on that team -- mark my words -- they arent going to win any superbowls. It's been evident since his Tennessee days; the guy can't win a big game. And, once again, this year, it was, yet again, proven. Manning had every chance possible to win that game; he had tons of opportunites, he had a lot more time in the pocket than Big Ben did, and he had the opportunity to get into field-goal-range in the final second of the game; but, he failed. I know what you're thinking -- what about the touchdown record? If you ask me, you could surround Joey Harrington with as much offensive talent as the Colts have, and he would throw a ton of touchdown passes. Let's not forget something -- Manning was third in total passing yards. The only thing that led to that record was Manning being put in during scoring opportunites and the players around him -- Wayne, Harrison, James, Stokley, the list goes on -- make him look good. But the Colts have a successful regular season team with Manning, so they can fork out the cash to him because they are cashing in on the regular season crowds and people like Manning -- why not lock him up? I agree with the Colts in this sense, but as far as the salary-to-performance ratio goes, Manning comes out on the short side; and until he can win a superbowl and prove himself, he will remain the #1 most overpaid athlete.

#2. Michael Schumacher - Professional Formula One Driver ($80 million/year)
Man oh man, 80 million bucks to drive a car in circles -- it has dream job written all over it. I almost laugh whenever I think about it, is this guy really that talented? First off, Formula One drivers have little competition if you think about it. How many of you guys played little league baseball when you were younger? Maybe you were into high school basketball or football? Alright, now how many of you guys raced Formula Ones when you were young? Now, unless I am a lot more popular than I had thought, I'm thinking everyone can't say that they raced Formula Ones when they were young -- much less after turning 21. Schumacher is considered by some to be a dominating driver; when in reality, he is just really good at making other drivers lose -- besides that, his only talents are being able to hold down the gas pedal for a few hours, occasionally the clutch, and steer his car at high speeds in a circle. Beyond that, Schumacher is highly controversial. Anyone remember the '94 Australian Grand Prix? When Schumacher misjudged a turn and slammed into Damon Hill and cost Hill the championship? Or the '97 European Grand Prix? Candian, Jacques Villeneuve, attempted to overtake Schumacher and Schumacher deliberately colided with him, stripping him second place in the world championship while letting him keep his points from the season. Of course you can't forget the '02 Austrian Grand Prix where team Ferrari ordered Schumacher's teammate, Rubens Barrichello, who was leading the race, to back off and let Schumacher win the race. Schumacher was so embarassed that he had to let his teammate step up on the podium with him; his teammate, who later moved to Jaguar for reasons related to this circumstance. It makes no sense to pay a guy 80 million bucks so that you can order other teammates to lose and let him win; and it certainly is not right to pay a guy this much so that he can run other racers off the track -- Michael Schumacher is not just an overpaid athlete, but a questionable one as well, landing him at number two on this list.

#3. Alex Rodriguez - Third Base, New York Yankees ($25.7 million/year)
I don't think I cross any lines when I call A-rod baseball's most overpaid athlete. I like to think to myself what was going through Tom Hicks's mind when he accepted that outrageous Scott Boras contract? Is A-rod an upper-echelon player? Yes, you could even argue that he is the best third-baseman in baseball. Is he worth $25,705,118? No way. And here, again, enlies the problem with long contracts in sports -- 10 years in this case -- you can't trust athletes to stay healthy that long, especially in baseball with 162-game seasons. I mean, it is easy to mark the fact that baseball are sports' highest payed players -- which is probably the most logical considering they play 162 games, which is very high risk and pushes many athletes beyond their comfort zone -- but you're talking about a guy making more per year than CEO's of blue-chip companies make. A-rod can't even be said in the same sentence as Steve Jobs (Apple Computers) or Sam Walton (Wal-Mart) or David Edmonson (RadioShack -- only kidding). And if you take his name out of the context of third-basemen, his stats match up with players making a heck-of-a-lot less than $25 million. But what can I say? Hicks is obviously really sucked in by Boras's approach -- just as Jerry Jones is by Drew Rosenhaus's apparently. This much is apparent in his overpaying of free-agent pitcher, Kevin Millwood. But let's not get off-topic. Bottom line is, anyone who can make a good arguement of why A-rod deserves $25.7 million a year is someone that I gotta meet.

#4. Barry Bonds - Outfield, San Francisco Giants ($22 million/year)
Do I even have to make an arguement? Probably not, but I will for the sake of -- well -- this article. Let me say that if someone here wants to pay me $22 mil a year to pump up on steroids; please, let me know. Now, of course, I'm only kidding, and I do realize that not all of Bonds's talent was created by steroids -- in fact, I believe that he is a very talented player, capable of numbers close to what he was able to accomplish with steroids. But the effect that steroids has on the recovering and overall ability of staying healthy is undeniable. And the fact that the San Francisco Giants were dumb enough not to see through Bonds's twenty-pound weight increase or his sudden ascent to the league's best home-run-slugger is totally and completely their fault. Now both Bonds and the Giants are going to luck out in this case because Major League Baseball cannot justly suspend or ban Bonds without looking into every single MLB player of the time; but this doesn't change the fact that he makes a lot more than he should. Let's see, Juiced Barry minus the juice equates to about $4-8 million a year at this stage in his career -- especially with his knees. It is unclear whether or not Barry has stopped taking steroids, but we will probably find out this season; and, if indeed, he has stopped, we will probably see the result of it -- and the Giants will feel like idiots for signing this guy to a 90-million-dollar deal.

#5. Derek Jeter - Shortstop, New York Yankees ($19.6 million/year)
And the Yankees and George Steinbrenner are at it again. Mr. November; it sounds like a big honor, but seriously, November isn't a Major League Baseball month -- as if he had any competition. What we're saying is that because he got to play in November and got a couple of hits in some clutch-ish situations, he suddenly gets named after a month that baseball isn't even played in -- I would consider it a joke, not an honor. Jeter is the highest paid shortstop in the game today, yet he ranked #1 in only one major-hitting category in 2005; 4th in average, 3rd in total bases, 13th in stolen bases, 6th in RBI's, 5th in home-runs, and 8th in slugging-percentage, which is probably the most important problem with Jeter -- he lacks the power to back-up his huge pay-day. He isn't even the best shortstop when it comes to "his specialty" in the hits department. If you want to pick the best shortstop to lead-off, you pick Michael Young, if you want power and extra-bases, you pick Miguel Tejada, if you want defense, you pick Orlando Cabrera, and if I had my choice of shortstop to accompany me in the clutch situations, I go for Tejada. Jeter is both over-hyped and over-rated -- if you just take a quick glimpse at the statistics, you will see no justification of his huge salary. Jeter is simply on a team thats willing to fork out the cash and a team that has enough talent (because of that cash) to make it to the playoffs every year. It's not like the Yankees make the playoffs every year because of Jeter, you could stick Bobby Crosby in there at short and they'd still make the playoffs every year, it's not an individual accomplishment and shouldn't add anything to his salary -- he should be able to prove he's worth $20 million a year at the plate and on the field, and he falls way short.

#6. Terrell Owens - Wide Receiver - Dallas Cowboys ($8.3 million/year)
Terrell Owens is a great receiver, period. He is extremely talented and can improve any team on paper. He sounds like he is worth the $8.3 million a year he makes, which also makes him the highest paid wide-receiver in the game today. And I do think that he is a good fit for Dallas, he can do major good for this team, and he probably will -- for at least a year, perhaps more. But take into mind the gamble, and you simply can't risk the highest wide-receiver salary on Owens, no matter how good he might be. I do think that his status as the highest paid wide-receiver could actually improve his behavior for a while; and who knows what will happen when someone gets a bigger contract -- all I know is that only Jerry Jones would gamble this much money when the odds are so far against him. I have to admit, I thought that Owens's scandal in Philadelphia would lower his stock and his salary, as I think many others did -- but it ended up making it go up? It just doesn't make sense -- good luck with this one Jerry, I sincerely hope that it doesn't backfire on you.

#7. Tiger Woods - PGA Tour Professional ($80.3 million/year)
Before you start screaming at your scream, let me say that I believe that Tiger is the best golfer in the game today -- and one could argue he is the best ever. But sit down and think about how much 80 million dollars is and you'll start to understand. Golf is a very tough sport to play, both mentally and physically, but there is no justification of such a huge salary -- anywhere. Tiger had an incredible start, and really showed the world what he was capable of very early in his career; since then, his game is not what you would call remarkable. Tiger is finally starting to win events on a consistant basis again, but he's just not as sensational as he was a couple of years ago -- and certainly not sensational enough to justify his monster load of cash. I will say that Tiger, out of the people on this list, is probably the most well-known and well-respected players; and there is no question that he is the best public speaker, so you have to hand it to him, he does a really good job for Nike -- just not an $80-million-worthy job.

#8. Shaquille O'Neal - Center, Miami Heat ($20 million/year)
The big man is finally starting to decline and show signes of a fatigued body with increased injury and decreased scoring. And somehow this justifies his earning of a 5-year, $100 million extension? Today (Mar 21) Shaq was held out of a game because he was injured "on a dunk attempt" according to the Associated Press. Shaq just isn't the player he used to be, and he is certainly more seceptable to injuries than ever before. His points-per-game totals are in the midst of a steady decline and let's not forget his age of 34 which is getting up there for NBA players. The real principle for the Heat paying him so much is because he draws crowds -- which he has been doing since his LSU days. He is easily the most well-known NBA player and is unmistakable when he's playing -- again, that's when he's playing, not when he's sitting on the bench, injured. But the Heat must have realized that Shaq's body wasn't going to hold up to a 5-year, 100 million dollar contract -- right???

#9. Stephon Marbury - Point Guard, New York Knicks ($14.625 million/year)
Probably one of the most selfish guys in the NBA today if you ask me. I mean it should be evident in the fact that the guy names all three of his kids after him (even one girl) -- Stephanie, Stephon Jr. and Xavier (his middle name). The guy is a disaster for Larry Brown and the Knicks -- a center for media attention of the conflict between the two. The Knicks should just do the smart thing and get rid of the guy like the Pacers did of Artest -- he's just not worth the hastle or the pay. Obviously the guy hasn't helped the Knicks very much, and he's not getting along with one of the greatest managers in NBA history -- and that is enough to land Stephon Marbury on this list.

#10. Andre Agassi - Tennis Professional ($28.2 million/year)
Andre the Giant. His service to tenis has already been done -- his best years are behind him -- or at least, stat-wise they are. Money-wise, Agassi is doing better than ever-before, making a massive $40 million stock award from Nike last year for "years of valueable service." Apparently, his best years of Nike endorsement are still in front of him; or at least Nike thinks so. But let's face it, he's nothing like he was three years ago -- and certainly doesn't deserve anything near $28 million, which is far more than Andy Roddick or any other tenis pro for that matter; ones that are currently doing better than Agassi is. But, just like earlier cases, it's all about popularity, and Agassi excells in that category.

(Dis)honorable Mentions: Oscar de la Hoya ($22 million/year), David Beckham ($28 million/year), Dale Earnhardt Jr. ($20.1 million/year), Phil Mickelson ($19.8 million/year), Lance Armstrong ($19.2 million/year), and Ronaldo ($18.5 million/year).

</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD class=tCommentAdd noWrap width="50%">34 Comments | Add a comment </TD><TD class=tCatText style="PADDING-RIGHT: 20px" align=right width="50%"> categories: MLB, NBA, NFL, PGA, MLS, NASCAR, Formula One, Indianapolis Colts, Dallas Cowboys, Miami Heat, WWE, Dale Earnhardt Jr., Tiger Woods, Barry Bonds, New York Yankees, San Francisco Giants, Alex Rodriguez, Derek Jeter, Lance Armstrong, NHL </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=tBackgroundPostBL></TD><TD class=tBackgroundPost></TD><TD class=tBackgroundPostBR></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle colSpan=2> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Hache Man

"Seven Days Without Gambling Makes One Weak"
Re: TOP 10 MOST OVERPAID ATHLETES

Where did this come from Jimmy?

The guy who wrote this must be a complete moron.............:+clueless

andrew748

Banned

Michael Schumacher retired last year and is now reduced to advertising crappy fiat motors on euro tv :LMAO

dirty

EOG Master

Athletes are worth as much as their Bosses are willing to pay them

NickPappagiorgio

EOG Dedicated

Athletes are worth as much as their Bosses are willing to pay them

Exactly!!!!

The money is out there, either the players get it or the owners do. While I may not like all athletes, they deserve every penny an owner is willing to pay.

trytrytry

All I do is trytrytry

good lord you could not have a worse list than that one....waste of electrons.

Too funny, Peyton made him look like a fool. Ask any team what the QB is worth if he wins them a title. They will say he is priceless...unless he's Trent Dilfer and then they will say he is cut.

No one is paying Tiger Woods a Salary.

I don't want to pile on any further than that, but there's lots of room for it.

dirty

EOG Master

yes they are...every Company he advertises for he gets a Salary for so many Commercials, appearances, wearing their gear Etc.... Everything he makes playing Golf is earned by him, except when those Overseas tourneys pay him a millions in Fees just to show up....

Is TWoods making more that the Jordan's active athlete days?

Of course, athletes are making double and triple what they used to. The endorsement deals are many times higher than what you would have ever seen in the 90s. Salaries have done much the same. Think about a guy like KG, 6 years, $120 million. MJ didn't make that much in salary over his whole career. Not that I'm crying for him, MJ last year made $32 million! That is probably more than he ever made until maybe after he got 3 rings.

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

If Oprah makes 200 million per year than NONE of these folks are overpaid

This guy is clueless ....comments on Tiger Woods:

* but there is no justification of such a huge salary - SALARY??

he's just not as sensational as he was a couple of years ago

HE HAS WON HALF HIS STARTS IN 2007
WINS 8 OUT OF 15 STARTS IN 2006
FIRST OR SECOND IN 10 OF 21 STARTS IN 2005

All these baseball teams get what they deserve when they sign pitchers to long-term deals for big cash. What percentage of these big contracts ever perform well for the length of the contract? The agents and the players have them by the cajones. Remember when Kevin Brown was 34, dominant pitcher, but only a fool would give him 7 years at that age. Dodgers were the fools. By year 5 he was absolutely done, but just had to show up each year in camp to collect $15 million, much of it while on the DL.

Rxx

EOG Veteran

Barry Zito. Bonds puts butts in the seats. Zito wont do that. The only thing that BZ is responsible for is the $8.25 Budweiser at PacBell Park. I've seen my last Giants game in person for a long time.
Athletes that sell tickets, like many in the above list are worth their contracts. As WB stated, the idiots that give long guaranteed contracts to pitchers deserve what they get. And fans that go to the games just encourage them.