OT: Generic Meds and Walmart?

Whoson1st

EOG Dedicated
I read that Walmart now plans to market a wine so a related question.

From my experience, no other chain offers generic medicines as low as Walmart sells for. (Not talking about the name brand drugs--only the generics).

Are all generics the exact same quality?

Hache Man

"Seven Days Without Gambling Makes One Weak"
Re: OT: Generic Meds and Walmart?

Good question Whoson1st

My prescrption plan is $7/$14 so I always pay the extra for the name brand, even though the generic may be just as good in many cases.

Will be interesting to hear from someone who truly knows exactly how good generics are overall compared to name brands.....

Whoson1st

EOG Dedicated

Did not state my question correctly. Within the generic family ONLY--are all generics the same quality?

NOT talking about comparing a generic with the NAME BRAND.

Katie

EOG Master

going more on the experience of my clients..

many of them have become more symptomatic when switched from one generic antidepressant to another, etc..

i did ask a pharmacist about this and he stated that he often sees this also..

Whoson1st

EOG Dedicated

My blood pressure medicine at Eckard costs me $10. generic lisinopril. At Walmart same medicine cost me $4.

Both say LISINOPRIL Generic on bottle.

Katie

EOG Master

you will probably will be fine with the generic...

some people have problems switching from one to another..

the main thing is that you keep your bloodpressure under control..

Whoson1st

EOG Dedicated

you will probably will be fine with the generic...

some people have problems switching from one to another..

the main thing is that you keep your bloodpressure under control..

Thanks.
I just have a Serious problem understanding (with medicines--which are chemicals) how there could be so much difference in price, without the quality being compromised.

Katie

EOG Master

the big drug companys waste a lot of money on comps, etc..

also they charge more until their patent runs out to recoup money they have spent on research and drug testing..

Whoson1st

EOG Dedicated

comps-agree; I guess.

Would (all thinks being equal--education, time in profession, etc etc) a drugest at Walmart be paid the same salary as a druggest at Eckart or other drug chain?

As for as asking my doctor--HE has a HUGE sign in his office which say "Generics save you money." So his feeling are apparent without asking!

Katie

EOG Master

would think their pay is similiar..

i was speaking of the brand name drug manufacturer...

they spend huge sums of money getting the drug to market, etc

Whoson1st

EOG Dedicated

To me and probably lots of others the biggest PRICE you pay at Walmart is the INCONVIENCE. They can say say what they want about this, but their stores are not easy in/out!

Katie

EOG Master

that's for sure..
they are crowded places...
too bad they don't have a drive thru..
if i need refills i always call my pharmacy several days in advance so i don;t have to wait...
it's a pain for a new script though..

kelp0027

EOG Dedicated

.By fda decree; a generic has to be within 20% active metabolite in the bloodstream; as compared to brand name medication..>>

So>>>>>........

Theoretically ; brand name med with a blood level of 100 could be replaced by generic #1 with a level of 80; and also by generic #2 which has a level of 120..>>

Now; if you compare 80 with 120; ; the 120 is 80 +40 =120 or 50% stronger..>>yet they are both legal generics..>>

This is one reason why switching generics can cause therapeutic differences..

It is Not recommended that you use a generic cardiac anti-arrhythmic medication; or switch generics .

gl

Overall; though; the Wal-Mart $4.00/month of certain generics is a real blessing; and a great way to get meds..

Many generics are as good/ or better than the newer brand name meds..

gl

:+clueless

Whoson1st

EOG Dedicated

So Walmart's (lisinopril-generic) at $4.00; could be 50% less potent than Eckard's (lisinopril-generic) at $10.?

kelp0027

EOG Dedicated

theoretically; yes; probably not; and there is a wide therapeutic window with lisinopril; an ace inhibitor; fwiw; i take generic lisinopril myself; have had excellent results for years..>>you probably will not have a problem; my best guess; two generics usually are not more than 15-30% different in actual bioequivalence..>>and that shouldn't matter;;>>btw; remember, most people are no where near 100% compliant with taking meds; which is important with hypertensive meds; so if you are close to 100% compliant with different generic lisinoprils; you're probably allright.

won't hurt to get a BP reading every week though

gl
:cool: :rolleyes:

How much would 3 moth supply of phentermine 37.5 will cost at Walmart. Or you wouldn't be able to purchase them there due the fact that you need a doctor's prescription?

Whoson1st

EOG Dedicated

theoretically; yes; probably not; and there is a wide therapeutic window with lisinopril; an ace inhibitor; fwiw; i take generic lisinopril myself; have had excellent results for years..>>you probably will not have a problem; my best guess; two generics usually are not more than 15-30% different in actual bioequivalence..>>and that shouldn't matter;;>>btw; remember, most people are no where near 100% compliant with taking meds; which is important with hypertensive meds; so if you are close to 100% compliant with different generic lisinoprils; you're probably allright.

gl

Excellant info and certaintly appreciated!
I NEVER forget/miss a dosage. But have other issues which may impact either the generic from Wal. or Ek.
Doc doubled my dosage from 10mg lisinopril to 20mg almost 2 months ago, I see him again end of April. From my extensive readings on this issue there may not be a perfect medicine to lower my bp; cause of probably lifestyle. I just can't get in my hard head what good it does to have lower bp and not enjoy what I'm eating, etc. One of the biggest issues on the bottle (label) says to "check with doctor before using a salt substitute".... I've never used a salt substitute and don't PUT salt on anything; but I enjoy foods that have sodium/salt allready on them. Where to draw the line is very tough..No more diets for me either.

Rxx

EOG Veteran

Excellant info and certaintly appreciated!
may not be a perfect medicine to lower my bp; cause of probably lifestyle. I just can't get in my hard head what good it does to have lower bp and not enjoy what I'm eating, etc. One of the biggest issues on the bottle (label) says to "check with doctor before using a salt substitute".... .

1. What you CAN get in your head by not controlling your blood pressure is a blood clot...which is, of course, the cause of a stroke. Which, will, of course, lead to sudden death or a serious decrease in your ability to eat what you want...because you cant use one side of our body ver well, assuming you survived it. I believe that i read that handicapper Mike Lee (he coined the term "due factor") died of a stroke secondary to uncontrolled blood pressure.

2. The salt substute warning is because the salt involved is potassium chloride. Lisinopril belongs to a family of drugs called ACE inhibitors. These drugs have the potential to cause potassium retention and adding more potassium via a salt substitute can lead to hyperkalemia (high potassium levels...which can be a problem if it gets too high).

As for the comments regarding generic drugs, kelp provided a very accurate portrayal of the variation allowed in the manufacturing process. With most drugs, it really doesnt make a difference. A 10mg dose of lisinopril can, theoretically, contain between 8-12 mg of active ingredient. Whether you get 8 or 12 may seem like a a huge difference mathematically, clinically it probably doesnt mean much. Alternatively, there are drugs, though few (warfarin, levothyroxine, digoxin), where that much variation can have a huge clinical effect. For that reason, i tell my patients that generic drugs are fine, but it is important to get the same brand of generic drug (i.e., made by the same manufacturer).
It is important to know that some generics are actually made by the brand name innovator company and sold under another name. Also, the fact that your lisinipril comes from Walmart or Eckerd doesnt mean anything as they didnt manufacture it. Both stores may or may not sell the same manufacturer's generic version.
Understanding the pricing of prescription drugs is a very complicated subject that often makes little sense to the public or practioner. Believe me, Walmart isnt making money on prescriptions when they sell them to you for $4 for a month supply. they want you there to buy other stuff in the store. The average cost to dispense a prescription is $10-13/Rx, depending on geography.
Also, RPhs in retail make about the same wherever they are employed within a geographical market. A bit more in Calif, less in the midwest and south.

So Walmart's (lisinopril-generic) at $4.00; could be 50% less potent than Eckard's (lisinopril-generic) at $10.?

NO. If you're buying the SAME drug made by the SAME company, it doesn't matter where you buy it.

Whoson1st

EOG Dedicated

gl

Kelp-About getting a bp reading every week; I know it seems reccommended; but it would only (in my case) make me worry that much more about it. (Anxiety factor is high) So I wait and see the doctor. It's good to read you've had success with this med. What dosage are you taking now and has it allways been the same?
What really got me worked up was--I took the 10mg dosage for a month with only a couple of points drop. Doctor then doubled the dosage to 20 mg.:+clueless

Katie

EOG Master

who, getting your anxiety level down is very important if you have high bp..
there are various stress reduction techniques that could help with this...

Whoson1st

EOG Dedicated

Right Katie.
I take generic zanax-alprazolam. Have for years. (short term relief) Maybe will ask that doc for the extended relief zanax that's available.

Katie

EOG Master

there are also other things you try..
changing cognitions that fuel the anxiety, relaxation exercises, etc..

JohnnyDeMarco

EOG Addicted

first -walmart sells more meds than any place in the world.
second-generics are usually the 100% same.

insurance companies back generics becuz of this.

whosonfirst-good luck ever trying to get off xanax.