NFL Fantasy Football News/Articles - ESPN Insider 4 New Articles Added 11/6/06

Hache Man

"Seven Days Without Gambling Makes One Weak"
Re: NFL Fantasy Football News/Articles - ESPN Insider (2 New Articles Added 8/18/06)

Re: NFL Fantasy Football News/Articles - ESPN Insider (2 New Articles Added 8/18/06)

Aug. 23, 2006, 12:35 PM
<SCRIPT language=javascript src="http://ai059.insightexpressai.com/adServer/adServer.aspx?bannerID=7560"></SCRIPT>

FFL: Question of the Week

<!-- end pagetitle --><!-- begin bylinebox -->
<!-- firstName = --><!-- lastName = -->ESPN Fantasy Games

<!-- begin presby2 -->
<!-- end presby2 -->
<!-- end bylinebox -->
<!-- begin text11 div -->
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 10px" vAlign=top><!-- begin leftcol --><!-- template inline -->Each week leading up to and throughout the season, we'll ask our Fantasy Games experts about a hot topic in fantasy football.
This week's question: Who is a running back, in your top 20, you fear could be a major bust this season and why?
Eric Karabell: I've had the No. 6 pick in a draft already, and I passed on Edgerrin James. Now some might think that's odd, since I originally ranked Edge in that exact spot, but I'm starting to think James has no idea what he's in for in Arizona, nor do his fantasy owners. The Cardinals do not have the offensive line to support the style James is accustomed to. They don't have the line to support much at all! And this team will be throwing a lot to keep up with the shootouts its defense gets into. Kurt Warner will again be running for his life and dealing with injuries, and James is likely to see his yards per carry drop quite a bit. Don't get me wrong, James remains a top talent, but that might not be enough. If he drops a few hundred yards to the 1,200 yard range and scores "only" six or seven times, then he'd be a bust if you draft him in the top six. James is my No. 8 running back, and might soon leave my top 10.
Tristan Cockcroft: I was once a big fan of Domanick Davis for fantasy. What wasn't to like? He was a strong enough runner to make an impact, and he had the added bonus of being a quality pass catcher as well, a trait I love to see in a running back. This year, however, I have a feeling he's going to be more trouble than he's worth. A lot of people are looking at the guy as a back-of-the-first-round pick, in that Nos. 10-12 range, or at least they were before knee troubles started hindering him this preseason. Now, he just keeps sliding down my rankings, from the top 12 overall, to the top 15, to the middle of the second round or later, and now I'm wondering whether he's going to be healthy enough at all to warrant using as a No. 2 fantasy back. Sure, the Texans skipping on Reggie Bush was good news for Davis, but look at his 2005 numbers, were they really that great anyway? Plus, it's not like Houston's offense is developing at the speed everyone thinks it has. The offensive line isn't going to help him much, and that'd be assuming he was fully healthy in the first place. Davis will certainly be picked in the early second round in most leagues, and all I can say is, you can have him.
Scott Engel: While he remains one of my top 15 RBs overall, and isn't a terrible pick in the second round as a No. 2 fantasy running back, I'm still not comfortable with picking Willis McGahee at any time. We all know how shaky the quarterback situation is in Buffalo, as J.P. Losman could be turning into the next Heath Shuler/Rick Mirer and Kelly Holcomb has not been the adequate game manager I thought he could be. Not only will opposing defenses key on McGahee again, they'll quickly get to him often behind a very shaky offensive line. The unit failed to open holes for McGahee consistently last year, and the team didn't do much to improve the group during the offseason. McGahee won't stink every week. He plays the Jets twice, Houston, Green Bay and has a handful of appealing matchups right now. But I certainly won't depend on him for consistent production and I'll certainly back him up with upside RBs if I end up taking McGahee. I'm already ranking Reggie Bush ahead of him, as even though McGahee has more experience, he doesn't have any upside for 2006.
Kevin Rounce: Brian Westbrook is currently being taken about the 23rd pick in most fantasy drafts and 15th among running backs. That seems a very appropriate spot for him, but his fantasy owners have to be concerned. Westbrook is a small back (5'9" 200 lbs) who has never played a full season, often missing multiple games. He is an elusive back who is among the best at catching the ball out on the edges. When he's healthy, he could be among the top 10 running backs in fantasy, as he was for much of 2004. But even in 2004 he was not able to play every game and actually missed the final two games of the year (fantasy championship week). While his value comes in his versatility, Westbrook has never rushed for 1,000 yards. It's unlikely he ever will and though he is a good risk as your second running back, reports that his foot is just now ready to start running in the pool scares me away. While likely a top 20 back, Westbrook could easily experience the injury problems that limited him to 12 games in 2005 and an 18th-place ranking among fantasy running backs.

Do you agree or disagree? Let us know and we'll run a few e-mails next week! Also, if you have ideas for future questions of the week, or comments on our fantasy coverage, send them here. Here are two emails we got about last week's question, Which quarterback, outside of your personal top 15, would you label as a sleeper?
LC: How could you not put Chris Simms in your 'sleeper qb' section. Did you watch him last season as his confidence grew? The Bucs' playbook is wide open now. Michael Clayton is healthy. Cadillac keeps the D's honest, and Alex Smith is going to be utilized more. Chris Simms will be the breakout QB this season. Jeff Drossart from Powers, MI: I couldn't agree with you more. Phillip Rivers will have a good season. He won't win any awards, but he is capable of making all the throws and wa very accurate in college. However, what about the Browns QB Frye? Could he make some noise this year or does he need more "seasoning?"
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Hache Man

Aug. 23, 2006, 12:35 PM
<SCRIPT language=javascript src="http://ai059.insightexpressai.com/adServer/adServer.aspx?bannerID=7560"></SCRIPT>

FFL: Question of the Week

<!-- firstName = --><!-- lastName = -->ESPN Fantasy Games

<!-- begin presby2 -->
<!-- end presby2 -->
<!-- end bylinebox -->
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 10px" vAlign=top><!-- begin leftcol --><!-- template inline -->Each week leading up to and throughout the season, we'll ask our Fantasy Games experts about a hot topic in fantasy football.
This week's question: Who is a running back, in your top 20, you fear could be a major bust this season and why?
Eric Karabell: I've had the No. 6 pick in a draft already, and I passed on Edgerrin James. Now some might think that's odd, since I originally ranked Edge in that exact spot, but I'm starting to think James has no idea what he's in for in Arizona, nor do his fantasy owners. The Cardinals do not have the offensive line to support the style James is accustomed to. They don't have the line to support much at all! And this team will be throwing a lot to keep up with the shootouts its defense gets into. Kurt Warner will again be running for his life and dealing with injuries, and James is likely to see his yards per carry drop quite a bit. Don't get me wrong, James remains a top talent, but that might not be enough. If he drops a few hundred yards to the 1,200 yard range and scores "only" six or seven times, then he'd be a bust if you draft him in the top six. James is my No. 8 running back, and might soon leave my top 10.
Tristan Cockcroft: I was once a big fan of Domanick Davis for fantasy. What wasn't to like? He was a strong enough runner to make an impact, and he had the added bonus of being a quality pass catcher as well, a trait I love to see in a running back. This year, however, I have a feeling he's going to be more trouble than he's worth. A lot of people are looking at the guy as a back-of-the-first-round pick, in that Nos. 10-12 range, or at least they were before knee troubles started hindering him this preseason. Now, he just keeps sliding down my rankings, from the top 12 overall, to the top 15, to the middle of the second round or later, and now I'm wondering whether he's going to be healthy enough at all to warrant using as a No. 2 fantasy back. Sure, the Texans skipping on Reggie Bush was good news for Davis, but look at his 2005 numbers, were they really that great anyway? Plus, it's not like Houston's offense is developing at the speed everyone thinks it has. The offensive line isn't going to help him much, and that'd be assuming he was fully healthy in the first place. Davis will certainly be picked in the early second round in most leagues, and all I can say is, you can have him.
Scott Engel: While he remains one of my top 15 RBs overall, and isn't a terrible pick in the second round as a No. 2 fantasy running back, I'm still not comfortable with picking Willis McGahee at any time. We all know how shaky the quarterback situation is in Buffalo, as J.P. Losman could be turning into the next Heath Shuler/Rick Mirer and Kelly Holcomb has not been the adequate game manager I thought he could be. Not only will opposing defenses key on McGahee again, they'll quickly get to him often behind a very shaky offensive line. The unit failed to open holes for McGahee consistently last year, and the team didn't do much to improve the group during the offseason. McGahee won't stink every week. He plays the Jets twice, Houston, Green Bay and has a handful of appealing matchups right now. But I certainly won't depend on him for consistent production and I'll certainly back him up with upside RBs if I end up taking McGahee. I'm already ranking Reggie Bush ahead of him, as even though McGahee has more experience, he doesn't have any upside for 2006.
Kevin Rounce: Brian Westbrook is currently being taken about the 23rd pick in most fantasy drafts and 15th among running backs. That seems a very appropriate spot for him, but his fantasy owners have to be concerned. Westbrook is a small back (5'9" 200 lbs) who has never played a full season, often missing multiple games. He is an elusive back who is among the best at catching the ball out on the edges. When he's healthy, he could be among the top 10 running backs in fantasy, as he was for much of 2004. But even in 2004 he was not able to play every game and actually missed the final two games of the year (fantasy championship week). While his value comes in his versatility, Westbrook has never rushed for 1,000 yards. It's unlikely he ever will and though he is a good risk as your second running back, reports that his foot is just now ready to start running in the pool scares me away. While likely a top 20 back, Westbrook could easily experience the injury problems that limited him to 12 games in 2005 and an 18th-place ranking among fantasy running backs.

Do you agree or disagree? Let us know and we'll run a few e-mails next week! Also, if you have ideas for future questions of the week, or comments on our fantasy coverage, send them here. Here are two emails we got about last week's question, Which quarterback, outside of your personal top 15, would you label as a sleeper?
LC: How could you not put Chris Simms in your 'sleeper qb' section. Did you watch him last season as his confidence grew? The Bucs' playbook is wide open now. Michael Clayton is healthy. Cadillac keeps the D's honest, and Alex Smith is going to be utilized more. Chris Simms will be the breakout QB this season. Jeff Drossart from Powers, MI: I couldn't agree with you more. Phillip Rivers will have a good season. He won't win any awards, but he is capable of making all the throws and wa very accurate in college. However, what about the Browns QB Frye? Could he make some noise this year or does he need more "seasoning?"

Hache Man

Preseason QB stats

posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2006 | Feedback | Print Entry
filed under: Fantasy NFL

You've been told for years that NFL preseason stats don't mean a thing. Heck, I've been saying that for the last month. They don't matter. Except when they kinda do.

It's human nature for us to see Reggie Bush make a terrific run and all go ooh and aah and move him up our draft lists. Or we can see Aaron Brooks throw footballs all over the field, with no apparent aim or reason, and promise we'll never draft him again. And that's the point; we see the highlights, some of us see the actual games, and you can just tell who looks good and who does not.
So maybe it's not really all about the preseason stats, it's about the preseason itself. Maybe Bush is going to be a monster, and that 44-yard run a few weeks ago shouldn't sway us in any way. As for Brooks, it's not that he's playing badly this preseason, that's just him!
Anyway, let's take a look at the leading quarterbacks this preseason so far, and discuss if any of these numbers matter.
Quarterbacks, top 10 in passing yards:
Matt Cassel, Patriots
Tony Romo, Cowboys
Bruce Gradkowski, Buccaneers
Andrew Walter, Raiders
Jay Cutler, Broncos
J.P. Losman, Bills
Shaun King, Colts
Doug Johnson, Bengals
David Garrard, Jaguars
Philip Rivers, Chargers
Doesn't matter, right? Well, not so far. Some of this could matter. While nobody in New England is worried about Tom Brady losing his job, with good reason, a few of these names do have fantasy value. In Dallas, the media has made a big deal out of Romo getting tons of playing time, but does anyone really believe that Drew Bledsoe is in danger of losing his job? I don't. Not gonna happen in what might be Tuna's last chance at a Super Bowl run. And while Cutler has looked good, Jake Plummer gets one more year before Mike Shanahan punts he and Tatum Bell out the door.
But in Oakland, Buffalo and San Diego, I have been watching. I don't want Aaron Brooks on my team. He's not good. He did play a bit better this weekend, scrambling around, but the Raiders aren't going to be very good and Brooks is going to take the fall for this. Just like Kerry Collins did. So Walter clearly has a shot here. He's 6-5 and has a strong arm, and while he's not relevant for fantasy yet, don't be stunned if this is his team at some point midseason.
J.P. Losman has a chance to be a decent player, though I admit he's not in my top 20 at the position, nor should he be. But Lee Evans is a legit talent, and there is a running game here. Losman will beat out Kelly Holcomb and could become a spot starter if you own a Manning or Brady and don't want to waste a middle round pick on the top backups.
Rivers is the one to watch. I just moved him to No. 19 among quarterbacks, so I'm not saying he's better than Michael Vick or Byron Leftwich, but there is definite upside here. Remember, he was regarded as similar to Eli Manning. Rivers could have been the first overall pick. He's the one the Chargers wanted. While people paint the Chargers situation as Rivers only getting the chance because Drew Brees left, the truth is it's Rivers' time. I can see him doing a little what Eli did last season; he's going to make mistakes, which Manning did with the 17 interceptions. But he has a strong arm and nice weapons, and should top 20 touchdown passes. Don't forget about Rivers.
Anything else interesting about this list? Well, it's getting more likely that Carson Palmer will have to miss a week or two in September, so someone gets to step in and throw bombs to Chad Johnson and T.J. Houshmandzadeh and hand off to Rudi Johnson. It could be Doug Johnson, but more likely it will be Anthony Wright. I'm not saying I want these guys active, but the Bengals open with Kansas City and Cleveland. Those teams aren't exactly Pittsburgh defensively.
Sure, the preseason really doesn't mean too much statistically. We might never see Matt Cassel or Tony Romo play in a game all year. I mean, who is Bruce Gradkowski? He's a rookie from Toledo who might be the No. 3 quarterback. Really, not only does Chris Simms have to get hurt, but Jay Fiedler and Tim Rattay as well. So you don't need to draft Gradkowski.
Other stuff:
-Good for the Jets, good for Kevan Barlow, but I gotta say, I'm just not too impressed. Who has been a bigger fantasy bust the last two seasons than Barlow? Who has angered fantasy owners more? You could say Jamal Lewis, maybe Chris Brown, and last year the Joneses (Kevin and Julius) weren't our pals, but Barlow has been a big disappointment since that 1,000 yard season in 2003. Then Garrison Hearst left and the job was Barlow's, and things didn't go well. The Jets don't have much of an offense. D'Brickashaw Ferguson will help, but he can probably throw the ball further than Chad Pennington. Barlow is not going to find the running situation any better at Giants Stadium than he did in San Francisco. Don't draft him in the first three rounds. I'd take Frank Gore higher, and this trade was made for his sake. As for Curtis Martin, no need to even draft him any more. Thanks for the memories, Curtis.
-People, Mike Bell is the Denver running back. Move him up to the third round on your lists. As for the unrelated Tatum Bell, this is no longer a ploy to motivate him. Draft him after Mike Bell. Ron Dayne might be lucky to be on the team in two weeks. -I didn't have Koren Robinson in my top 10 for wide receivers, but he was going to be Minnesota's No. 1 option and I did consider him a decent flex option. Now I'm wondering if he ever plays again in the NFL. Robinson's off the field issues have taken over his career, and he's probably blown his latest chance for stardom. This is good news for Troy Williamson, who has the ability to step into that role and be Brad Johnson's new best friend. Could happen.

Hache Man

Preseason QB stats

posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2006 | Feedback | Print Entry

You've been told for years that NFL preseason stats don't mean a thing. Heck, I've been saying that for the last month. They don't matter. Except when they kinda do.

It's human nature for us to see Reggie Bush make a terrific run and all go ooh and aah and move him up our draft lists. Or we can see Aaron Brooks throw footballs all over the field, with no apparent aim or reason, and promise we'll never draft him again. And that's the point; we see the highlights, some of us see the actual games, and you can just tell who looks good and who does not.
So maybe it's not really all about the preseason stats, it's about the preseason itself. Maybe Bush is going to be a monster, and that 44-yard run a few weeks ago shouldn't sway us in any way. As for Brooks, it's not that he's playing badly this preseason, that's just him!
Anyway, let's take a look at the leading quarterbacks this preseason so far, and discuss if any of these numbers matter.
Quarterbacks, top 10 in passing yards:
Matt Cassel, Patriots
Tony Romo, Cowboys
Bruce Gradkowski, Buccaneers
Andrew Walter, Raiders
Jay Cutler, Broncos
J.P. Losman, Bills
Shaun King, Colts
Doug Johnson, Bengals
David Garrard, Jaguars
Philip Rivers, Chargers
Doesn't matter, right? Well, not so far. Some of this could matter. While nobody in New England is worried about Tom Brady losing his job, with good reason, a few of these names do have fantasy value. In Dallas, the media has made a big deal out of Romo getting tons of playing time, but does anyone really believe that Drew Bledsoe is in danger of losing his job? I don't. Not gonna happen in what might be Tuna's last chance at a Super Bowl run. And while Cutler has looked good, Jake Plummer gets one more year before Mike Shanahan punts he and Tatum Bell out the door.
But in Oakland, Buffalo and San Diego, I have been watching. I don't want Aaron Brooks on my team. He's not good. He did play a bit better this weekend, scrambling around, but the Raiders aren't going to be very good and Brooks is going to take the fall for this. Just like Kerry Collins did. So Walter clearly has a shot here. He's 6-5 and has a strong arm, and while he's not relevant for fantasy yet, don't be stunned if this is his team at some point midseason.
J.P. Losman has a chance to be a decent player, though I admit he's not in my top 20 at the position, nor should he be. But Lee Evans is a legit talent, and there is a running game here. Losman will beat out Kelly Holcomb and could become a spot starter if you own a Manning or Brady and don't want to waste a middle round pick on the top backups.
Rivers is the one to watch. I just moved him to No. 19 among quarterbacks, so I'm not saying he's better than Michael Vick or Byron Leftwich, but there is definite upside here. Remember, he was regarded as similar to Eli Manning. Rivers could have been the first overall pick. He's the one the Chargers wanted. While people paint the Chargers situation as Rivers only getting the chance because Drew Brees left, the truth is it's Rivers' time. I can see him doing a little what Eli did last season; he's going to make mistakes, which Manning did with the 17 interceptions. But he has a strong arm and nice weapons, and should top 20 touchdown passes. Don't forget about Rivers.
Anything else interesting about this list? Well, it's getting more likely that Carson Palmer will have to miss a week or two in September, so someone gets to step in and throw bombs to Chad Johnson and T.J. Houshmandzadeh and hand off to Rudi Johnson. It could be Doug Johnson, but more likely it will be Anthony Wright. I'm not saying I want these guys active, but the Bengals open with Kansas City and Cleveland. Those teams aren't exactly Pittsburgh defensively.
Sure, the preseason really doesn't mean too much statistically. We might never see Matt Cassel or Tony Romo play in a game all year. I mean, who is Bruce Gradkowski? He's a rookie from Toledo who might be the No. 3 quarterback. Really, not only does Chris Simms have to get hurt, but Jay Fiedler and Tim Rattay as well. So you don't need to draft Gradkowski.
Other stuff:
-Good for the Jets, good for Kevan Barlow, but I gotta say, I'm just not too impressed. Who has been a bigger fantasy bust the last two seasons than Barlow? Who has angered fantasy owners more? You could say Jamal Lewis, maybe Chris Brown, and last year the Joneses (Kevin and Julius) weren't our pals, but Barlow has been a big disappointment since that 1,000 yard season in 2003. Then Garrison Hearst left and the job was Barlow's, and things didn't go well. The Jets don't have much of an offense. D'Brickashaw Ferguson will help, but he can probably throw the ball further than Chad Pennington. Barlow is not going to find the running situation any better at Giants Stadium than he did in San Francisco. Don't draft him in the first three rounds. I'd take Frank Gore higher, and this trade was made for his sake. As for Curtis Martin, no need to even draft him any more. Thanks for the memories, Curtis.
-People, Mike Bell is the Denver running back. Move him up to the third round on your lists. As for the unrelated Tatum Bell, this is no longer a ploy to motivate him. Draft him after Mike Bell. Ron Dayne might be lucky to be on the team in two weeks. -I didn't have Koren Robinson in my top 10 for wide receivers, but he was going to be Minnesota's No. 1 option and I did consider him a decent flex option. Now I'm wondering if he ever plays again in the NFL. Robinson's off the field issues have taken over his career, and he's probably blown his latest chance for stardom. This is good news for Troy Williamson, who has the ability to step into that role and be Brad Johnson's new best friend. Could happen.

Hache Man

so....did you guys here about the three way trade?

the falcons send tj duckett to washington in exchange for a draft pick and the broncos send ashlie lelie to the falcons in exchange for the same draft pick (washingtons 3rd rounder in 2007)

Clinton Portis now drops back to number 12 on my list

TJ Duckett jumps up some...but his role will be similar to what it was in Atlanta

Ashlie Lelies fantasy value now skyrockets....and he becomes a great reserve will potential to start

.....now heres the question for me...pick up Ashlie Lelie off free agency...or pick up Antonio Bryant?

You're right Eagle, this really hurts Portis' value.

We'll still have to see if Vick can get Lelie the ball in Atlanta though....

Hache Man

so....did you guys here about the three way trade?

the falcons send tj duckett to washington in exchange for a draft pick and the broncos send ashlie lelie to the falcons in exchange for the same draft pick (washingtons 3rd rounder in 2007)

Clinton Portis now drops back to number 12 on my list

TJ Duckett jumps up some...but his role will be similar to what it was in Atlanta

Ashlie Lelies fantasy value now skyrockets....and he becomes a great reserve will potential to start

.....now heres the question for me...pick up Ashlie Lelie off free agency...or pick up Antonio Bryant?

You're right Eagle, this really hurts Portis' value.

We'll still have to see if Vick can get Lelie the ball in Atlanta though....

EagleFan5

EOG Addicted
Re: NFL Fantasy Football News/Articles - ESPN Insider (2 New Articles Added 8/23/06)

Re: NFL Fantasy Football News/Articles - ESPN Insider (2 New Articles Added 8/23/06)

should i pick up ashlie lelie off waivers?

or should i pick up antonio bryant...

oh and by the way i'd be dropping Issac Bruce

this is a pretty crucial decision cuz its my 100$ league

so whos the best out of Bruce, Bryant, and Lelie

EagleFan5

EOG Addicted

Hache Man

Even though he's fading, I would personally give Bruce a chance with the new coaching staff this season Eagle......

Hache Man

Even though he's fading, I would personally give Bruce a chance with the new coaching staff this season Eagle......

Hache Man

Aug. 24, 2006, 1:40 PM

FFL: Late-Round Sleepers

<!-- firstName = Scott --><!-- lastName = Engel -->
By Scott Engel
ESPN Fantasy Games

<!-- begin presby2 -->
<!-- end presby2 -->
<!-- end bylinebox -->
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 10px" vAlign=top><!-- begin leftcol --><!-- template inline -->
As the preseason has moved on, it has become clear that some players have seized the opportunity to show what they can do. Not all preseason performances matter, but some guys certainly have put themselves on the fantasy radar. These players are worth a late-round flier, based on how they have looked so far this summer or because of recent roster developments. Every fantasy draft pick can be a good one, so here's a list of some possible sleepers to nab in the final rounds of your draft. <!--##FRONTSTOP##-->
Drew Carter, WR, Carolina: If Steve Smith's hamstring problem becomes a lingering issue, Carter could get the chance to start opposite Keyshawn Johnson. He caught two passes for 88 yards and a touchdown in the NFC Championship Game last year and has followed that performance with a strong training camp.
Maurice Hicks, RB, San Francisco: Yes, Frank Gore is the clear starter in San Francisco. But injuries have been an issue for Gore before, and if he can't stay healthy, Hicks has displayed the ability to step in and play well when given the chance.
Greg Jennings, WR, Green Bay: He is less of a secret after a 115-yard outing this past weekend. Jennings ultimately could win the starting job across from Donald Driver, and he was creating a major buzz among NFL insiders even before his fine exhibition outing this past weekend.
Travis Taylor, WR, Minnesota: With Koren Robinson not around, someone has to catch the ball from Brad Johnson. If Troy Williamson isn't quite ready for a prime role, Taylor will be used often because of his experience and the fact that he can function as a reliable possession receiver. Don't expect him to be great, but he's worth drafting in larger leagues and might be a dependable reserve this year.
Wali Lundy, RB, Houston: Savvy fantasy players already are thinking about him in the late rounds, but not everyone is sold on using a pick on him yet. Lundy has become notable after a 25-yard run and a 3-yard TD in his preseason debut. He totaled 66 yards from scrimmage in his second game. Domanick Davis looks like a major risk right now, and Vernand Morency has yet to show us he can stay healthy, so Lundy might be a nice story and quality fantasy player in his rookie year.
Tony Scheffler, TE, Denver: So far, Scheffler has caught eight passes for 127 yards in two preseason games. He is behind Stephen Alexander on the depth chart, but Scheffler has had a very impressive camp so far and, in his first NFL season, could fill Denver's need for a pass-catching tight end.
Brian Griese, QB, Chicago: He has looked better than Rex Grossman so far, especially in the preseason opener, when Griese completed six of seven passes and threw for two TDs. Griese looks as though he has made a good recovery from knee surgery, and let's not forget he threw 20 TD passes in 11 games for Tampa Bay just two years ago.
Dee Brown, RB, Kansas City: New acquisition Michael Bennett has been out with a hamstring problem. Bennett has been an injury concern in the past, and Brown has performed pretty well so faras the interim primary backup for Larry Johnson. He rushed for a TD in the opener and could be a good Johnson handcuff in the final rounds.
Jerricho Cotchery, WR, New York Jets: He has been working with the first-team offense and appears to have taken the No. 2 receiver job from Justin McCareins. He could become a reliable possession type and decent complement for Laveranues Coles and is worth considering as a reserve receiver.
Doug Gabriel, WR, Oakland: He has been starting while Jerry Porter has been sidelined and unhappy, and ultimately could keep the No. 2 receiver job. Gabriel caught a TD pass this past weekend and has displayed big-play potential in the past.
Verron Haynes, RB, Pittsburgh: You might already be aware of him, but I'm just confirming that he seems to have moved ahead of Duce Staley for good as a preferred option to back up Willie Parker. And Parker doesn't figure to be able to carry regularly. Haynes runs well in short space, can catch balls out of the backfield and is a nifty late-rounder.
Bryan Gilmore, WR, San Francisco: Arnaz Battle has been trying to overcome a knee injury, and Gilmore has showed off good fundamentals and speed in camp. He caught three balls in the preseason opener and a 17-yarder in the second game. Gilmore could post respectable numbers if he gets a chance to start.
Jabar Gaffney, WR, Philadelphia: If you're looking for a guy to step up and become a fairly dependable target for Donovan McNabb, Gaffney has shown some promise this summer. He caught four balls this past weekend and is worth monitoring even if you don't draft him. Gaffney doesn't have amazing skills, but he's smart and can be a presence in the red zone.
Stephen Gostkowski, K, New England: The Patriots released Martin Gramatica after Gostowski made all three of his field goal attempts this past weekend against the Cardinals. Many other owners will pass on him because he's unknown, but the Patriots spent a fourth-rounder on this guy and the efficient New England offense should put him in position for a lot of scoring opportunities. Cedrick Wilson, WR, Pittsburgh: He caught a TD pass in the team's preseason home opener, and although Santonio Holmes eventually should start across from Hines Ward, Wilson could post decent numbers while Holmes develops and remains behind him on the depth chart for a while. If Ward continues to miss time, Wilson could be a top target for Ben Roethlisberger.

Hache Man

Aug. 24, 2006, 1:40 PM

FFL: Late-Round Sleepers

By Scott Engel
ESPN Fantasy Games

<!-- begin presby2 -->
<!-- end presby2 -->
<!-- end bylinebox -->
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 10px" vAlign=top><!-- begin leftcol --><!-- template inline -->
As the preseason has moved on, it has become clear that some players have seized the opportunity to show what they can do. Not all preseason performances matter, but some guys certainly have put themselves on the fantasy radar. These players are worth a late-round flier, based on how they have looked so far this summer or because of recent roster developments. Every fantasy draft pick can be a good one, so here's a list of some possible sleepers to nab in the final rounds of your draft. <!--##FRONTSTOP##-->
Drew Carter, WR, Carolina: If Steve Smith's hamstring problem becomes a lingering issue, Carter could get the chance to start opposite Keyshawn Johnson. He caught two passes for 88 yards and a touchdown in the NFC Championship Game last year and has followed that performance with a strong training camp.
Maurice Hicks, RB, San Francisco: Yes, Frank Gore is the clear starter in San Francisco. But injuries have been an issue for Gore before, and if he can't stay healthy, Hicks has displayed the ability to step in and play well when given the chance.
Greg Jennings, WR, Green Bay: He is less of a secret after a 115-yard outing this past weekend. Jennings ultimately could win the starting job across from Donald Driver, and he was creating a major buzz among NFL insiders even before his fine exhibition outing this past weekend.
Travis Taylor, WR, Minnesota: With Koren Robinson not around, someone has to catch the ball from Brad Johnson. If Troy Williamson isn't quite ready for a prime role, Taylor will be used often because of his experience and the fact that he can function as a reliable possession receiver. Don't expect him to be great, but he's worth drafting in larger leagues and might be a dependable reserve this year.
Wali Lundy, RB, Houston: Savvy fantasy players already are thinking about him in the late rounds, but not everyone is sold on using a pick on him yet. Lundy has become notable after a 25-yard run and a 3-yard TD in his preseason debut. He totaled 66 yards from scrimmage in his second game. Domanick Davis looks like a major risk right now, and Vernand Morency has yet to show us he can stay healthy, so Lundy might be a nice story and quality fantasy player in his rookie year.
Tony Scheffler, TE, Denver: So far, Scheffler has caught eight passes for 127 yards in two preseason games. He is behind Stephen Alexander on the depth chart, but Scheffler has had a very impressive camp so far and, in his first NFL season, could fill Denver's need for a pass-catching tight end.
Brian Griese, QB, Chicago: He has looked better than Rex Grossman so far, especially in the preseason opener, when Griese completed six of seven passes and threw for two TDs. Griese looks as though he has made a good recovery from knee surgery, and let's not forget he threw 20 TD passes in 11 games for Tampa Bay just two years ago.
Dee Brown, RB, Kansas City: New acquisition Michael Bennett has been out with a hamstring problem. Bennett has been an injury concern in the past, and Brown has performed pretty well so faras the interim primary backup for Larry Johnson. He rushed for a TD in the opener and could be a good Johnson handcuff in the final rounds.
Jerricho Cotchery, WR, New York Jets: He has been working with the first-team offense and appears to have taken the No. 2 receiver job from Justin McCareins. He could become a reliable possession type and decent complement for Laveranues Coles and is worth considering as a reserve receiver.
Doug Gabriel, WR, Oakland: He has been starting while Jerry Porter has been sidelined and unhappy, and ultimately could keep the No. 2 receiver job. Gabriel caught a TD pass this past weekend and has displayed big-play potential in the past.
Verron Haynes, RB, Pittsburgh: You might already be aware of him, but I'm just confirming that he seems to have moved ahead of Duce Staley for good as a preferred option to back up Willie Parker. And Parker doesn't figure to be able to carry regularly. Haynes runs well in short space, can catch balls out of the backfield and is a nifty late-rounder.
Bryan Gilmore, WR, San Francisco: Arnaz Battle has been trying to overcome a knee injury, and Gilmore has showed off good fundamentals and speed in camp. He caught three balls in the preseason opener and a 17-yarder in the second game. Gilmore could post respectable numbers if he gets a chance to start.
Jabar Gaffney, WR, Philadelphia: If you're looking for a guy to step up and become a fairly dependable target for Donovan McNabb, Gaffney has shown some promise this summer. He caught four balls this past weekend and is worth monitoring even if you don't draft him. Gaffney doesn't have amazing skills, but he's smart and can be a presence in the red zone.
Stephen Gostkowski, K, New England: The Patriots released Martin Gramatica after Gostowski made all three of his field goal attempts this past weekend against the Cardinals. Many other owners will pass on him because he's unknown, but the Patriots spent a fourth-rounder on this guy and the efficient New England offense should put him in position for a lot of scoring opportunities. Cedrick Wilson, WR, Pittsburgh: He caught a TD pass in the team's preseason home opener, and although Santonio Holmes eventually should start across from Hines Ward, Wilson could post decent numbers while Holmes develops and remains behind him on the depth chart for a while. If Ward continues to miss time, Wilson could be a top target for Ben Roethlisberger.

EagleFan5

EOG Addicted
Re: NFL Fantasy Football News/Articles - ESPN Insider (1 New Article Added 8/24/06)

Re: NFL Fantasy Football News/Articles - ESPN Insider (1 New Article Added 8/24/06)

in my 100$ league...i passed on the like of Dominick Davis, Julius Jones, Kevin Jones, and Chester Taylor to get Jamal Lewis in the second round...

I know this pick doesn't make sense if you look at most peoples rankings...but I continue to defend it against my friends...

Dominick Davis is too hurt to play right now...and although i love him i just couldn't draft him

Julius Jones is healthy and good but should be inly getting about 65% of the carries with Marion Barber around

Kevin Jones is yet to prove himself in my book

Chester Taylor is good but the offensive line in Minnesota isn't

All this info left me with Lewis...at first I firgured i could get him in the third round..and just take a good no. 1 reciever in the second...but then i remember how important RB's are so i took Lewis (which ended up being a good move because right after i took him someone said 'nice pick, he might be in for a big year')

So while I never had him in my mind as my number two, i've come to realize that he is decent. He's had a good camp this summer and played well in the preseason. He recently had a hip injury that put him out of the preseason, but coach Billick says that that move is precautionary. This is why I defend my pick...

Am I crazy? Or am i right?

EagleFan5

EOG Addicted

in my 100$ league...i passed on the like of Dominick Davis, Julius Jones, Kevin Jones, and Chester Taylor to get Jamal Lewis in the second round...

I know this pick doesn't make sense if you look at most peoples rankings...but I continue to defend it against my friends...

Dominick Davis is too hurt to play right now...and although i love him i just couldn't draft him

Julius Jones is healthy and good but should be inly getting about 65% of the carries with Marion Barber around

Kevin Jones is yet to prove himself in my book

Chester Taylor is good but the offensive line in Minnesota isn't

All this info left me with Lewis...at first I firgured i could get him in the third round..and just take a good no. 1 reciever in the second...but then i remember how important RB's are so i took Lewis (which ended up being a good move because right after i took him someone said 'nice pick, he might be in for a big year')

So while I never had him in my mind as my number two, i've come to realize that he is decent. He's had a good camp this summer and played well in the preseason. He recently had a hip injury that put him out of the preseason, but coach Billick says that that move is precautionary. This is why I defend my pick...

Am I crazy? Or am i right?

Hache Man

If Jamal can stay healthy you probably made the correct choice Eagle........:+thumbs-2

I think Kevin Jones has a very good year though under the new coaching staff........

Hache Man

If Jamal can stay healthy you probably made the correct choice Eagle........:+thumbs-2

I think Kevin Jones has a very good year though under the new coaching staff........

EagleFan5

EOG Addicted

Today I emailed one of the fantasy football experts at CBSSportsline.com and asked him how he got his job. I am very interested in getting a job as a fantasy football expert as something to do on the side because its my favorite hobby...

Do you have any tips for me or know any people who are experts themselves who could maybe get me started?

Oh by the way i'd do it for free

EagleFan5

EOG Addicted

Today I emailed one of the fantasy football experts at CBSSportsline.com and asked him how he got his job. I am very interested in getting a job as a fantasy football expert as something to do on the side because its my favorite hobby...

Do you have any tips for me or know any people who are experts themselves who could maybe get me started?

Oh by the way i'd do it for free

Hache Man

I actually know a guy who writes for one of the larger fantasy sites on the net Eagle. I could possibly get some details for you.

Shoot me an emai at hacheman@eog.com

Have you considered simply starting your own site........:cheers

Hache Man

I actually know a guy who writes for one of the larger fantasy sites on the net Eagle. I could possibly get some details for you.

Shoot me an emai at hacheman@eog.com

Have you considered simply starting your own site........:cheers

Hache Man

Aug. 25, 2006, 5:31 PM

Carroll Injury Report: Smith, Owens

<!-- firstName = Will --><!-- lastName = Carroll -->By Will Carroll
ESPN Fantasy Games

<!-- begin presby2 -->

<!-- end presby2 -->
<!-- end bylinebox -->
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 10px" vAlign=top><!-- begin leftcol --><!-- template inline -->I'll admit to being spoiled. As I type this, I'm sitting at the gate at Washington Dulles airport, typing away on my MacBook despite the inexplicable lack of Wi-Fi here. The great thing about this job and modern technology is that I can still do it. My Sidekick is bringing me texts and e-mails while my Mobile ESPN phone is pinging me with alerts and news. Sure, my pockets might be full, but time is no longer wasted waiting on airplanes.
Steve Smith was, by many measures, the best fantasy WR in 2005. It's hard to repeat as champion in any way, even just repeating this feat. Smith is already behind a bit as his strained hamstring has kept him off the field through most of training camp. Smith is a speed receiver who runs short routes and gets big YAC. If Smith loses just a half-step, that means more DBs and LBs will be able to run him down or, worse, get him before he gets separation. Speed receivers seldom recover in-season from leg injuries, and the chronic ones can be career changers if not career enders. Smith has shown the ability to come back from injury without a significant effect on his game. Realistic expectations for this season combined with the injury should drop him back on your draft board, but keep him in the elite tier of WRs.
Continuing the theme of WRs with leg problems -- among other things -- Terrell Owens is reporting a setback in his long rehab from a strained hamstring. Missing more reps and keeping the national media on Tunawatch won't help Owens' standing. A recurrent hamstring strain is even worse. Although he's not a speed receiver, Owens is missing reps while the Cowboys go through an interesting training camp. Owens isn't getting time on the field with Drew Bledsoe or Tony Romo, which leaves whoever wins the QB job plenty of time to develop a connection with Terry Glenn, Patrick Crayton and Jason Witten. Owens, even if he gets back soon, is fast becoming the third or fourth receiving option in Dallas.
The Bengals announced that Carson Palmer will play in their upcoming exhibition game, so what should medheads and others, perhaps those thinking of drafting last year's top QB, look for when he takes the field? It's tough to spot confidence, whether you're in the stands or watching on TV, so instead, let's all become mini-Jaworskis for a bit. Watching Palmer, you want to take note of his dropback: Is he getting back quickly? Is there a limp? Can he plant that knee as he throws? Watch the way he moves: Is he tentative or halting? Is there a limp? Is his first step quick enough to avoid rushers, or will he be more willing to take a sack? Watch his throws: Are they crisp, thrown from good mechanics, or is he antsy as he throws? What's his reaction after the throw: Is he looking for the next Kimo von Oelhoffen to roll him up or is his confidence back. Palmer is too talented to not come back, and let's face it, running isn't part of his skill set. For Palmer and the Bengals, we just need to see signs of the old Palmer before drafting him as high as we would have with the old Palmer.
Some injuries just sound painful. Torn quadriceps tendon. It's an injury that sounds as if it should be announced by John Facenda and punctuated by a crack of doom. Maybe a torn quad tendon isn't quite as uncomfortable as a torn groin or a Thiesmann-style fracture, but it's definitely a problem for a RB. Ahman Green came back too early, testing the tendon, then experiencing a catastrophic failure at the middle of the 2005 season. It's a testament to the Packers medical team and Green's work ethic that he's back at all. According to sources close to Green, he's a tireless worker who practices as hard as he plays, something he carried into his rehab. There's no history of a RB returning from this injury, so combining that with his age and workload, expect him to be good, not great -- a solid No. 2 RB you'll be happy to use a midround pick to acquire.
You just learned that your starting running back has been shut down for the remainder of the preseason. What will you do? If you drafted Jamal Lewis, expecting the revamped Ravens offense to help him return to his power-running form, the news that he'd miss the rest of the preseason had to be worrying. I'm here to tell you to exhale and tell you that you made a great pick. Lewis has a hip pointer, a painful injury that is a bruise at the iliac crest, the point of the hip, just below the love handles. (And if you don't have love handles, I hate you.)
Darrell Jackson was off a lot of injury radars after coming back last season to help the Seahawks make their playoff run. However, Jackson had a second surgery after the season and is still dealing with the consequences. He's on a rehab program designed to rid him of contractures, a problem with scar tissue inside the knee that reduces the range of motion. Let's add this up -- speed receiver with a recurrent knee problem. That equals bad. Jackson was replaced pretty easily last season without much detriment to the Seahawks, but if you're looking for a late-round draft steal, Jackson isn't it. He will be worth keeping an eye on; his rehab should have him on track to be a nice waiver wire pickup in the early season.
Every time I have to talk about a kicking injury, I feel a little bit as though Jim Mora's playoff rant is going to come out of my mouth. Kickers are often interchangeable parts in fantasy leagues, but two big-name kickers might need to be adjusted on your draft board. Adam Vinatieri moved from the cold of Foxborough to the consistent indoor comfort of Indy, something sure to help his kicking. Unfortunately, it looks as though an ankle sprain might be enough to not only keep him out of the preseason but maybe also keep him out at the start of the season. Drafting Vinatieri means you'll have to have two kickers on your roster for Week 1 -- or drop him, wasting a pick. There's even more risk with Mike Vanderjagt. The former Indy kicker took his act to Dallas, where it has been a mess. Vanderjagt injured his groin early in camp, then exacerbated it warming up for the second preseason game. There are whispers that Vanderjagt's injury has Bill Parcells thinking of cutting the newly signed free agent already. I think he'll end up staying with the Cowboys, but don't waste a draft pick -- even a late one -- on Vanderjagt without more certainty.
Quick Cuts: Ron Jaworski got a good look at Chad Pennington and came away impressed. My pal Jaws said the magic word -- velocity -- when discussing what he saw. Baseball pitchers often take two years to come back from similar injuries, so its too early to give up on Pennington just yet ... When your guy has knee surgery -- and let's face it, it's when, not if -- the word you want to hear is "scope." Although surgeons and physical therapists have made great strides in all knee surgeries, scopes are nearly a nonfactor. The Colts managed to hide the fact that DT Corey Simon had undergone a scope for nearly a week, but projecting him back for the opener was an easy call, regardless. One factor to remember is that weight causes stress on a knee. Simon and many other players like him are missing the shock absorption the meniscus (knee cartilage) once provided

Hache Man

Aug. 25, 2006, 5:31 PM

ESPN Fantasy Games

<!-- begin presby2 -->

<!-- end presby2 -->
<!-- end bylinebox -->
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 10px" vAlign=top><!-- begin leftcol --><!-- template inline -->I'll admit to being spoiled. As I type this, I'm sitting at the gate at Washington Dulles airport, typing away on my MacBook despite the inexplicable lack of Wi-Fi here. The great thing about this job and modern technology is that I can still do it. My Sidekick is bringing me texts and e-mails while my Mobile ESPN phone is pinging me with alerts and news. Sure, my pockets might be full, but time is no longer wasted waiting on airplanes.
Steve Smith was, by many measures, the best fantasy WR in 2005. It's hard to repeat as champion in any way, even just repeating this feat. Smith is already behind a bit as his strained hamstring has kept him off the field through most of training camp. Smith is a speed receiver who runs short routes and gets big YAC. If Smith loses just a half-step, that means more DBs and LBs will be able to run him down or, worse, get him before he gets separation. Speed receivers seldom recover in-season from leg injuries, and the chronic ones can be career changers if not career enders. Smith has shown the ability to come back from injury without a significant effect on his game. Realistic expectations for this season combined with the injury should drop him back on your draft board, but keep him in the elite tier of WRs.
Continuing the theme of WRs with leg problems -- among other things -- Terrell Owens is reporting a setback in his long rehab from a strained hamstring. Missing more reps and keeping the national media on Tunawatch won't help Owens' standing. A recurrent hamstring strain is even worse. Although he's not a speed receiver, Owens is missing reps while the Cowboys go through an interesting training camp. Owens isn't getting time on the field with Drew Bledsoe or Tony Romo, which leaves whoever wins the QB job plenty of time to develop a connection with Terry Glenn, Patrick Crayton and Jason Witten. Owens, even if he gets back soon, is fast becoming the third or fourth receiving option in Dallas.
The Bengals announced that Carson Palmer will play in their upcoming exhibition game, so what should medheads and others, perhaps those thinking of drafting last year's top QB, look for when he takes the field? It's tough to spot confidence, whether you're in the stands or watching on TV, so instead, let's all become mini-Jaworskis for a bit. Watching Palmer, you want to take note of his dropback: Is he getting back quickly? Is there a limp? Can he plant that knee as he throws? Watch the way he moves: Is he tentative or halting? Is there a limp? Is his first step quick enough to avoid rushers, or will he be more willing to take a sack? Watch his throws: Are they crisp, thrown from good mechanics, or is he antsy as he throws? What's his reaction after the throw: Is he looking for the next Kimo von Oelhoffen to roll him up or is his confidence back. Palmer is too talented to not come back, and let's face it, running isn't part of his skill set. For Palmer and the Bengals, we just need to see signs of the old Palmer before drafting him as high as we would have with the old Palmer.
Some injuries just sound painful. Torn quadriceps tendon. It's an injury that sounds as if it should be announced by John Facenda and punctuated by a crack of doom. Maybe a torn quad tendon isn't quite as uncomfortable as a torn groin or a Thiesmann-style fracture, but it's definitely a problem for a RB. Ahman Green came back too early, testing the tendon, then experiencing a catastrophic failure at the middle of the 2005 season. It's a testament to the Packers medical team and Green's work ethic that he's back at all. According to sources close to Green, he's a tireless worker who practices as hard as he plays, something he carried into his rehab. There's no history of a RB returning from this injury, so combining that with his age and workload, expect him to be good, not great -- a solid No. 2 RB you'll be happy to use a midround pick to acquire.
You just learned that your starting running back has been shut down for the remainder of the preseason. What will you do? If you drafted Jamal Lewis, expecting the revamped Ravens offense to help him return to his power-running form, the news that he'd miss the rest of the preseason had to be worrying. I'm here to tell you to exhale and tell you that you made a great pick. Lewis has a hip pointer, a painful injury that is a bruise at the iliac crest, the point of the hip, just below the love handles. (And if you don't have love handles, I hate you.)
Darrell Jackson was off a lot of injury radars after coming back last season to help the Seahawks make their playoff run. However, Jackson had a second surgery after the season and is still dealing with the consequences. He's on a rehab program designed to rid him of contractures, a problem with scar tissue inside the knee that reduces the range of motion. Let's add this up -- speed receiver with a recurrent knee problem. That equals bad. Jackson was replaced pretty easily last season without much detriment to the Seahawks, but if you're looking for a late-round draft steal, Jackson isn't it. He will be worth keeping an eye on; his rehab should have him on track to be a nice waiver wire pickup in the early season.
Every time I have to talk about a kicking injury, I feel a little bit as though Jim Mora's playoff rant is going to come out of my mouth. Kickers are often interchangeable parts in fantasy leagues, but two big-name kickers might need to be adjusted on your draft board. Adam Vinatieri moved from the cold of Foxborough to the consistent indoor comfort of Indy, something sure to help his kicking. Unfortunately, it looks as though an ankle sprain might be enough to not only keep him out of the preseason but maybe also keep him out at the start of the season. Drafting Vinatieri means you'll have to have two kickers on your roster for Week 1 -- or drop him, wasting a pick. There's even more risk with Mike Vanderjagt. The former Indy kicker took his act to Dallas, where it has been a mess. Vanderjagt injured his groin early in camp, then exacerbated it warming up for the second preseason game. There are whispers that Vanderjagt's injury has Bill Parcells thinking of cutting the newly signed free agent already. I think he'll end up staying with the Cowboys, but don't waste a draft pick -- even a late one -- on Vanderjagt without more certainty.
Quick Cuts: Ron Jaworski got a good look at Chad Pennington and came away impressed. My pal Jaws said the magic word -- velocity -- when discussing what he saw. Baseball pitchers often take two years to come back from similar injuries, so its too early to give up on Pennington just yet ... When your guy has knee surgery -- and let's face it, it's when, not if -- the word you want to hear is "scope." Although surgeons and physical therapists have made great strides in all knee surgeries, scopes are nearly a nonfactor. The Colts managed to hide the fact that DT Corey Simon had undergone a scope for nearly a week, but projecting him back for the opener was an easy call, regardless. One factor to remember is that weight causes stress on a knee. Simon and many other players like him are missing the shock absorption the meniscus (knee cartilage) once provided

Hache Man

Weekend fantasy watch

posted: Friday, August 25, 2006 | Feedback | Print Entry

I know the preseason means next to nothing, but that doesn't mean we can't watch some individual players this weekend to see what happens. Preseason performance shouldn't be more than a minor consideration (especially statistically) in deciding who to draft, but c'mon, you're not at all curious how Carson Palmer looks on Monday night?

Look, I'm going to watch at least the first quarter of tonight's Eagles-Steelers tilt. I know I will, and it's not just to see Tony Kornheiser and Joe Theismann sweat. It's just not that warm in Philly today, not like Louisiana last week. Hey, I was worried for their health. But watching how first-team players look in the preseason, it can play a role in drafts. I'll be drafting tonight as well. Should be fun.
Here are 10 or so players to watch this weekend. You won't watch them all, at least I hope not, because then you'd need a 10-step program. But read about their performances later. And don't get too worried when one of the players you're looking at drafting fails to play at all this weekend. It's not a big deal, unless injury is holding them back, or they might not have a job.
Carson Palmer, Bengals: Whether Carson's issues are in his head or his knee, it's important that he's playing. The Bengals need to see him out there making throws and, to borrow a line from Tom Cruise's "Top Gun," he needs to engage. In other words, he's looked very timid out on the field since the major knee surgery, and it's tough to make him one of the top five quarterbacks in a fantasy draft unless we're sure he's ready to take some chances. So don't worry about the stats in this preseason game, but whether Palmer looks confident in the way he moves around. It's on Monday night, who am I kidding, I will be watching.
Thomas Jones, Bears: Basically, he came back from his injury sooner than Cedric Benson did, and considering it's only two weeks until opening weekend, Jones could really solidify his place on the depth chart by running strong and breaking a long carry or two. Jones has the ability; he'd only be losing this starting job if Benson were to be better. Benson is not playing this weekend.
Correll Buckhalter/Todd Pinkston, Eagles: Even though the Eagles brought Stephen Davis in for a much-ballyhooed interview earlier this week, the team didn't offer a contract. The Rams, later in the week, did. I think the Eagles want to see how Buckhalter looks. Most fantasy owners have given up on him, considering he has missed three of the last four full seasons with major knee injuries. I can't say I'd be confident in those knees, so let's see how Buckhalter does with extended carries. He could be Philly's goal line back. As for Pinkston, he's not likely to be a key fantasy contributor, but he could find his way into the starting lineup if he plays well. Reggie Brown needs someone else to get open.
Kevin Jones, Lions: I seem to be alone in thinking Jones could put things together for a fine season, so maybe if he shows up on SportsCenter after tonight's game, his value will change. Jones has Mike Martz calling the plays, which I think will help him overall. So while Jones is not playing for health or battling anyone, his performance tonight could affect fantasy judgment, which might not be a bad thing. As a late-second rounder, I like Jones.
Mike Bell, Broncos: The fact is that this Denver situation can change at any time, with or without notice. If Bell fumbles this weekend, it changes. If Bell breaks off a 50-year touchdown, it changes less, because I think Bell is pretty much entrenched as the starter. Bell says he wants to work on blocking and picking up the blitz this weekend, which certainly plays into whether he keeps the job. I've already moved Bell into early fourth-rounder range, but with each solid performance, the rest of the fantasy football world will be forced to do likewise.
Kevan Barlow, Jets: He's unlikely to play very much tonight against the Giants, which is a good thing. I think he can only hurt his role with the team by playing poorly. He's brand new, doesn't know the plays or the blocking schemes, he's being given a pass this weekend. It's clear he's the starter. Meanwhile, Derrick Blaylock has had a decent month, and is a nice passing option and blocker. Barlow's the starter, but Blaylock could get noticed with another fine game.
Matt Jones, Jaguars: His role is cemented as well, despite a balky ankle this month, but his name is frequently mentioned as a fantasy sleeper, which he might or might not be. He's already had a few big plays this preseason as Byron Leftwich's favorite target, another highlight catch or two probably moves him into No. 2 fantasy wide receiver territory. And throw Troy Williamson into this class as well. He's starting, but fantasy owners will be more likely to grab a guy with some preseason numbers.
Vernand Morency, Texans: Depending which rumor you want to believe about the health of Domanick Davis, Morency is either in control of the starting job here, or merely wasting his energy this preseason as the No. 2 back, and Davis will be fine for opening weekend against the Eagles. Morency himself is a bit banged up, and rule No. 1 in a training camp battle is it's hard to win it unless you're out there on the field. Look for Morency to play this weekend like his job is on the line. Fantasy owners take note of this good gamble late.
Deuce McAllister, Saints: We still don't have much clarity on the running back situation here, but McAllister is going to get plenty of carries if he can handle the load. Neither he nor Reggie Bush did much in Monday's game against Dallas, so let's see what happens tomorrow against the Colts. It's not about the stats for McAllister, but like with Cincy's Palmer, how he looks.
Reche Caldwell, Patriots: Deion Branch is definitely not playing for the Pats this weekend, and possibly never again, which means Tom Brady (or for this weekend, Matt Cassel) needs someone to throw to. Caldwell, like most Pats in the Brady-Belichick era, shouldn't be expect to put up big stats this season, regardless of whether he's the No. 1 option or not. But now that Branch is officially on the trade block, and it's unlikely the Pats will get a starting receiver in return, let's see how Caldwell looks with all this pressure on him. He could be an occasional No. 3 fantasy WR option this season if things go right for him. OK, enjoy those preseason games this weekend, we'll blog again on Monday

Hache Man

Weekend fantasy watch

posted: Friday, August 25, 2006 | Feedback | Print Entry

I know the preseason means next to nothing, but that doesn't mean we can't watch some individual players this weekend to see what happens. Preseason performance shouldn't be more than a minor consideration (especially statistically) in deciding who to draft, but c'mon, you're not at all curious how Carson Palmer looks on Monday night?

Look, I'm going to watch at least the first quarter of tonight's Eagles-Steelers tilt. I know I will, and it's not just to see Tony Kornheiser and Joe Theismann sweat. It's just not that warm in Philly today, not like Louisiana last week. Hey, I was worried for their health. But watching how first-team players look in the preseason, it can play a role in drafts. I'll be drafting tonight as well. Should be fun.
Here are 10 or so players to watch this weekend. You won't watch them all, at least I hope not, because then you'd need a 10-step program. But read about their performances later. And don't get too worried when one of the players you're looking at drafting fails to play at all this weekend. It's not a big deal, unless injury is holding them back, or they might not have a job.
Carson Palmer, Bengals: Whether Carson's issues are in his head or his knee, it's important that he's playing. The Bengals need to see him out there making throws and, to borrow a line from Tom Cruise's "Top Gun," he needs to engage. In other words, he's looked very timid out on the field since the major knee surgery, and it's tough to make him one of the top five quarterbacks in a fantasy draft unless we're sure he's ready to take some chances. So don't worry about the stats in this preseason game, but whether Palmer looks confident in the way he moves around. It's on Monday night, who am I kidding, I will be watching.
Thomas Jones, Bears: Basically, he came back from his injury sooner than Cedric Benson did, and considering it's only two weeks until opening weekend, Jones could really solidify his place on the depth chart by running strong and breaking a long carry or two. Jones has the ability; he'd only be losing this starting job if Benson were to be better. Benson is not playing this weekend.
Correll Buckhalter/Todd Pinkston, Eagles: Even though the Eagles brought Stephen Davis in for a much-ballyhooed interview earlier this week, the team didn't offer a contract. The Rams, later in the week, did. I think the Eagles want to see how Buckhalter looks. Most fantasy owners have given up on him, considering he has missed three of the last four full seasons with major knee injuries. I can't say I'd be confident in those knees, so let's see how Buckhalter does with extended carries. He could be Philly's goal line back. As for Pinkston, he's not likely to be a key fantasy contributor, but he could find his way into the starting lineup if he plays well. Reggie Brown needs someone else to get open.
Kevin Jones, Lions: I seem to be alone in thinking Jones could put things together for a fine season, so maybe if he shows up on SportsCenter after tonight's game, his value will change. Jones has Mike Martz calling the plays, which I think will help him overall. So while Jones is not playing for health or battling anyone, his performance tonight could affect fantasy judgment, which might not be a bad thing. As a late-second rounder, I like Jones.
Mike Bell, Broncos: The fact is that this Denver situation can change at any time, with or without notice. If Bell fumbles this weekend, it changes. If Bell breaks off a 50-year touchdown, it changes less, because I think Bell is pretty much entrenched as the starter. Bell says he wants to work on blocking and picking up the blitz this weekend, which certainly plays into whether he keeps the job. I've already moved Bell into early fourth-rounder range, but with each solid performance, the rest of the fantasy football world will be forced to do likewise.
Kevan Barlow, Jets: He's unlikely to play very much tonight against the Giants, which is a good thing. I think he can only hurt his role with the team by playing poorly. He's brand new, doesn't know the plays or the blocking schemes, he's being given a pass this weekend. It's clear he's the starter. Meanwhile, Derrick Blaylock has had a decent month, and is a nice passing option and blocker. Barlow's the starter, but Blaylock could get noticed with another fine game.
Matt Jones, Jaguars: His role is cemented as well, despite a balky ankle this month, but his name is frequently mentioned as a fantasy sleeper, which he might or might not be. He's already had a few big plays this preseason as Byron Leftwich's favorite target, another highlight catch or two probably moves him into No. 2 fantasy wide receiver territory. And throw Troy Williamson into this class as well. He's starting, but fantasy owners will be more likely to grab a guy with some preseason numbers.
Vernand Morency, Texans: Depending which rumor you want to believe about the health of Domanick Davis, Morency is either in control of the starting job here, or merely wasting his energy this preseason as the No. 2 back, and Davis will be fine for opening weekend against the Eagles. Morency himself is a bit banged up, and rule No. 1 in a training camp battle is it's hard to win it unless you're out there on the field. Look for Morency to play this weekend like his job is on the line. Fantasy owners take note of this good gamble late.
Deuce McAllister, Saints: We still don't have much clarity on the running back situation here, but McAllister is going to get plenty of carries if he can handle the load. Neither he nor Reggie Bush did much in Monday's game against Dallas, so let's see what happens tomorrow against the Colts. It's not about the stats for McAllister, but like with Cincy's Palmer, how he looks.
Reche Caldwell, Patriots: Deion Branch is definitely not playing for the Pats this weekend, and possibly never again, which means Tom Brady (or for this weekend, Matt Cassel) needs someone to throw to. Caldwell, like most Pats in the Brady-Belichick era, shouldn't be expect to put up big stats this season, regardless of whether he's the No. 1 option or not. But now that Branch is officially on the trade block, and it's unlikely the Pats will get a starting receiver in return, let's see how Caldwell looks with all this pressure on him. He could be an occasional No. 3 fantasy WR option this season if things go right for him. OK, enjoy those preseason games this weekend, we'll blog again on Monday

Hache Man

Aug. 25, 2006, 3:05 PM

FFL Mailbag: Aug. 25

By Scott Engel
ESPN Fantasy Games

<!-- begin presby2 -->

<!-- end presby2 -->
<!-- end bylinebox -->
Rebel Solomon, Lexington, Ky.: I completed my draft last weekend. I gambled late and took Jerry Porter, Greg Jones, Kevan Barlow, and Isaac Bruce in Rounds 11 through 14. I am beginning to have some serious reservations about Porter. Should I drop him now with Greg Jennings and Travis Taylor available? Or should I just stow him away and pray he gets traded?
<!--##FRONTSTOP##--><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=200 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD width=8><SPACER height="1" type="block" width="8"></TD><TD width=300 bgColor=#ecece4>[FONT=Arial,Helvetica, sans-serif]The FFL Mailbag has the answers you need every Friday! Click here to send FFL questions and comments on players and trends. [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Engel: A calf injury has held Porter back this preseason, and while there have been rumors that the Raiders have been talking about meeting his trade demands, nothing has materialized for sure. If Porter does get moved, though, or stays with Oakland, he simply has too much talent not to give a shot at starting for your team. We'd all like to see more consistency from him, and Porter has been overrated in the past, but he can still get you decent overall numbers and he'll be a quality starter capable of big plays when the matchup is right. He might be statistically erratic, but I wouldn't cut him loose yet. Jennings is having a fine preseason, but he is still just a rookie. I'd try to cut someone else to add Jennings if you can. Taylor might post some decent numbers occasionally, but Porter still has more potential to make plays downfield. Keep Porter for now.
Dustin, Indianapolis: You had Daunte Culpepper over Eli Manning in your one-man mock draft. I just don't see it. Can you give me some insight as to why you would draft Daunte over Eli?
Engel: I'm not quite as high on Manning as some other fantasy players. But that's only for this season. I eventually think he'll be fairly close to his brother in terms of fantasy appeal. Yet I also believe his learning process will continue this season, and he still has some work to do in terms of his decision-making and accuracy, especially under pressure. I don't expect Manning to be statistically consistent, even though he will have some big games and his final numbers might look good overall. As for Culpepper, he's certainly healthy again and surrounded by much more talent in Miami than he was in Minnesota last year. We've already seen the kinds of numbers Culpepper can post with a quality supporting cast. While he doesn't have Randy Moss, he could still throw 25-plus TD passes and rush for a few scores, while making less mistakes than Manning. I believe much of Culpepper's struggles last year before he was hurt were do to the fact that he had a limp crew of skill position players, and he tried to force things too often. Culpepper has exhibited better decision-making skills so far this preseason and doesn't look like the same major disappointment he was in 2005. I think he'll have a big rebound year and will be more statistically dependable than Manning, who might have a few bigger outings. I'd rather have the more steady QB of the two, and that will be Culpepper. Manning would have went in the seventh round of my 10-team mock.
Matt, Boca Raton, Fla: I have the sixth pick in a 12 team league. I know Tiki Barber and Edgerrin are going fourth and fifth. So that leaves me with either Clinton Portis, Ronnie Brown, Steven Jackson, or LaMont Jordan. It seems the only one that has the most upside and least question marks is Ronnie Brown, but he's constantly ranked below the others. Would I be wrong to take Brown sixth? I'm not a Dolphins fan, so that doesn't play into my approach.
Engel: Don't assume Barber and James will be gone. You never know for sure what other owners will do, and some are steering clear of Barber because of age and goal-line concerns, and avoiding James because of his questionable offensive line. If Barber falls to you, he's the automatic choice, as I don't buy into the age arguments (it's just a label and doesn't apply to Tiki) and he'll still score a good amount of times even if he isn't the preferred goal-line option. Brown is potentially outstanding and versatile, but I'd rather go with a more proven RB. If Rudi Johnson is there at the sixth spot, I believe he's very dependable and underrated, and he is one of the safest picks you can make when questions surround other top running backs. I like Jordan after Rudi, because he runs well and catches pass, and then I would go for Jackson, who might get more regular touches than Brown and should be more of a red zone presence than the Miami RB. So be ready to take Tiki if he falls to you, otherwise go for Rudi. Portis' shoulder issues have put him out of the top 10 at his position in my estimation.
Clayton Keirns, Fontana, Calif.: So you have been talking about Reggie Bush and Chester Taylor as good No.2 RB's. Which one would you take first?
Engel: I go for Bush early in the second round, as he can score or make a big play any time he touches the ball. I think he will be one of the best No. 2 RBs in fantasy football this season. Yes, Deuce McAllister is still there, but he might come along slowly and the Saints are going to find a lot of ways to get Bush a healthy amount of touches every week. Bush can be an even more productive version of a healthy Brian Westbrook, form the statistical perspective. Taylor is quickly gaining more appeal, as he will be a focal point of the Minnesota offense. But while he should get a very healthy amount of touches, Taylor is more yeoman worker than standout playmaker. He'll be dependable, but he won't wow you with speed or monster performances. Taylor is a solid pick early in the third round, and you could see him go off the board late in the second in some leagues.
Dave, Dallas: My 10-team keeper league allows two keepers each season. I decided to keep Shaun Alexander and Willie Parker, so the first round of our draft basically becomes the "third" round . Who would you select from these available players in the third round? Peyton Manning, Torry Holt, Steve Smith, or maybe even Reggie Bush because of his keeper value?
Engel: You already have a pretty impressive duo of RBs, so I'd pass on Bush if I could get Manning, easily the top QB in any format. If Manning won't be available, you can't get a more reliable receiver than Holt, who is unmatched at his position for annually excellent production. Smith can surely post huge numbers if his hamstring doesn't become a lingering issue this year. I'd take Manning, Holt, Smith, then Bush in your situation.
Dan Korensky, Grand Island, Neb.: Recently, Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne usually are ranked top five and top 10 respectively. Yet I can't shake the feeling that this is the year their ratings switch places. Wayne did have more yards last year and is younger.
Engel: It certainly could happen, but there really aren't any apparent signs that Harrison is going to slow down in the TD department just yet. The Colts might throw more this season without Edgerrin James, but that doesn't lead me to believe Wayne will outscore Harrison. Wayne scored only five times last year, and while I expect better TD totals from him last year, Harrison is still Peyton Manning's preferred target when he goes for the home run. Harrison can still beat many defenders deep and knows how to get open in the red zone. There are many assumptions that Harrison will decline because of his age, but I can't buy into them yet. I can't base a possible drop in production simply on a number when Harrison is still clearly playing at a very high level. Wayne should be better than last year, but he wasn't dependable last year for scores and needs to show us he can deal better with the extra defensive attention he saw last year. He'll see more tight coverages in 2006 as defenses expect Manning to go downfield more. Harrison has already proven that he can still score often while facing extra defenders and defenses geared to contain him. Wayne must show he can find the end zone more against defenses geared to shut down the Indianapolis wideouts.
Oscar P., Portland, Ore.: I respect your opinion on fantasy football but you and a lot of the other "experts" who always recommend taking an 11th or 12th-best running back rather than a top four or five wide receiver are overlook something about running backs. While yes, it's true that every team only has one starting RB, the trend over the past two or three years is for teams to have a second running back get the vast majority of the goal-line opportunities. In fantasy leagues that give one point for every 20 yards gained and six points for TDs, those goal-line backs are just as good fantasy-wise as those starting RBs. Even the Seahawks, with TD-machine Shaun Alexander, are working during training camp/preseason on developing a goal-line back. Engel: Thanks Oscar. I respect your opinion also. But I don't agree with it. I believe you are overrating the amount of goal-line RBs we are seeing. A few teams have tried to develop them, but I don't think the phenomenon is widespread. It depends on the team and the scheme. Brandon Jacobs, T.J. Duckett, Marion Barber and Mike Alstott are the only guys who really have a chance of getting consistent goal-line opportunities this year. Greg Jones and Ciatrick Fason are also candidates, but the latter might not really be a factor with Chester Taylor expected to assume a heavy workload. There are also a few teams who don't have a clear-cut starting RB yet, making many of the top 15 or so RBs even more appealing. Most fantasy leagues award one point for every 10 rushing yards. And there's no way you can convince me Shaun Alexander is going to lose goal-line carries in Seattle. Leonard Weaver scoring form short range in exhibition games means nothing. He only had 17 regular season carries last year and I doubt he'll get much more than that this year. I fail to see the goal-line RB as a widespread trend. A few teams will employ a goal-line specialist, but not too many.

Hache Man

Aug. 25, 2006, 3:05 PM

FFL Mailbag: Aug. 25

By Scott Engel
ESPN Fantasy Games

<!-- begin presby2 -->

<!-- end presby2 -->
<!-- end bylinebox -->
Rebel Solomon, Lexington, Ky.: I completed my draft last weekend. I gambled late and took Jerry Porter, Greg Jones, Kevan Barlow, and Isaac Bruce in Rounds 11 through 14. I am beginning to have some serious reservations about Porter. Should I drop him now with Greg Jennings and Travis Taylor available? Or should I just stow him away and pray he gets traded?
<!--##FRONTSTOP##--><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=200 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD width=8><SPACER height="1" type="block" width="8"></TD><TD width=300 bgColor=#ecece4>[FONT=Arial,Helvetica, sans-serif]The FFL Mailbag has the answers you need every Friday! Click here to send FFL questions and comments on players and trends. [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Engel: A calf injury has held Porter back this preseason, and while there have been rumors that the Raiders have been talking about meeting his trade demands, nothing has materialized for sure. If Porter does get moved, though, or stays with Oakland, he simply has too much talent not to give a shot at starting for your team. We'd all like to see more consistency from him, and Porter has been overrated in the past, but he can still get you decent overall numbers and he'll be a quality starter capable of big plays when the matchup is right. He might be statistically erratic, but I wouldn't cut him loose yet. Jennings is having a fine preseason, but he is still just a rookie. I'd try to cut someone else to add Jennings if you can. Taylor might post some decent numbers occasionally, but Porter still has more potential to make plays downfield. Keep Porter for now.
Dustin, Indianapolis: You had Daunte Culpepper over Eli Manning in your one-man mock draft. I just don't see it. Can you give me some insight as to why you would draft Daunte over Eli?
Engel: I'm not quite as high on Manning as some other fantasy players. But that's only for this season. I eventually think he'll be fairly close to his brother in terms of fantasy appeal. Yet I also believe his learning process will continue this season, and he still has some work to do in terms of his decision-making and accuracy, especially under pressure. I don't expect Manning to be statistically consistent, even though he will have some big games and his final numbers might look good overall. As for Culpepper, he's certainly healthy again and surrounded by much more talent in Miami than he was in Minnesota last year. We've already seen the kinds of numbers Culpepper can post with a quality supporting cast. While he doesn't have Randy Moss, he could still throw 25-plus TD passes and rush for a few scores, while making less mistakes than Manning. I believe much of Culpepper's struggles last year before he was hurt were do to the fact that he had a limp crew of skill position players, and he tried to force things too often. Culpepper has exhibited better decision-making skills so far this preseason and doesn't look like the same major disappointment he was in 2005. I think he'll have a big rebound year and will be more statistically dependable than Manning, who might have a few bigger outings. I'd rather have the more steady QB of the two, and that will be Culpepper. Manning would have went in the seventh round of my 10-team mock.
Matt, Boca Raton, Fla: I have the sixth pick in a 12 team league. I know Tiki Barber and Edgerrin are going fourth and fifth. So that leaves me with either Clinton Portis, Ronnie Brown, Steven Jackson, or LaMont Jordan. It seems the only one that has the most upside and least question marks is Ronnie Brown, but he's constantly ranked below the others. Would I be wrong to take Brown sixth? I'm not a Dolphins fan, so that doesn't play into my approach.
Engel: Don't assume Barber and James will be gone. You never know for sure what other owners will do, and some are steering clear of Barber because of age and goal-line concerns, and avoiding James because of his questionable offensive line. If Barber falls to you, he's the automatic choice, as I don't buy into the age arguments (it's just a label and doesn't apply to Tiki) and he'll still score a good amount of times even if he isn't the preferred goal-line option. Brown is potentially outstanding and versatile, but I'd rather go with a more proven RB. If Rudi Johnson is there at the sixth spot, I believe he's very dependable and underrated, and he is one of the safest picks you can make when questions surround other top running backs. I like Jordan after Rudi, because he runs well and catches pass, and then I would go for Jackson, who might get more regular touches than Brown and should be more of a red zone presence than the Miami RB. So be ready to take Tiki if he falls to you, otherwise go for Rudi. Portis' shoulder issues have put him out of the top 10 at his position in my estimation.
Clayton Keirns, Fontana, Calif.: So you have been talking about Reggie Bush and Chester Taylor as good No.2 RB's. Which one would you take first?
Engel: I go for Bush early in the second round, as he can score or make a big play any time he touches the ball. I think he will be one of the best No. 2 RBs in fantasy football this season. Yes, Deuce McAllister is still there, but he might come along slowly and the Saints are going to find a lot of ways to get Bush a healthy amount of touches every week. Bush can be an even more productive version of a healthy Brian Westbrook, form the statistical perspective. Taylor is quickly gaining more appeal, as he will be a focal point of the Minnesota offense. But while he should get a very healthy amount of touches, Taylor is more yeoman worker than standout playmaker. He'll be dependable, but he won't wow you with speed or monster performances. Taylor is a solid pick early in the third round, and you could see him go off the board late in the second in some leagues.
Dave, Dallas: My 10-team keeper league allows two keepers each season. I decided to keep Shaun Alexander and Willie Parker, so the first round of our draft basically becomes the "third" round . Who would you select from these available players in the third round? Peyton Manning, Torry Holt, Steve Smith, or maybe even Reggie Bush because of his keeper value?
Engel: You already have a pretty impressive duo of RBs, so I'd pass on Bush if I could get Manning, easily the top QB in any format. If Manning won't be available, you can't get a more reliable receiver than Holt, who is unmatched at his position for annually excellent production. Smith can surely post huge numbers if his hamstring doesn't become a lingering issue this year. I'd take Manning, Holt, Smith, then Bush in your situation.
Dan Korensky, Grand Island, Neb.: Recently, Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne usually are ranked top five and top 10 respectively. Yet I can't shake the feeling that this is the year their ratings switch places. Wayne did have more yards last year and is younger.
Engel: It certainly could happen, but there really aren't any apparent signs that Harrison is going to slow down in the TD department just yet. The Colts might throw more this season without Edgerrin James, but that doesn't lead me to believe Wayne will outscore Harrison. Wayne scored only five times last year, and while I expect better TD totals from him last year, Harrison is still Peyton Manning's preferred target when he goes for the home run. Harrison can still beat many defenders deep and knows how to get open in the red zone. There are many assumptions that Harrison will decline because of his age, but I can't buy into them yet. I can't base a possible drop in production simply on a number when Harrison is still clearly playing at a very high level. Wayne should be better than last year, but he wasn't dependable last year for scores and needs to show us he can deal better with the extra defensive attention he saw last year. He'll see more tight coverages in 2006 as defenses expect Manning to go downfield more. Harrison has already proven that he can still score often while facing extra defenders and defenses geared to contain him. Wayne must show he can find the end zone more against defenses geared to shut down the Indianapolis wideouts.
Oscar P., Portland, Ore.: I respect your opinion on fantasy football but you and a lot of the other "experts" who always recommend taking an 11th or 12th-best running back rather than a top four or five wide receiver are overlook something about running backs. While yes, it's true that every team only has one starting RB, the trend over the past two or three years is for teams to have a second running back get the vast majority of the goal-line opportunities. In fantasy leagues that give one point for every 20 yards gained and six points for TDs, those goal-line backs are just as good fantasy-wise as those starting RBs. Even the Seahawks, with TD-machine Shaun Alexander, are working during training camp/preseason on developing a goal-line back. Engel: Thanks Oscar. I respect your opinion also. But I don't agree with it. I believe you are overrating the amount of goal-line RBs we are seeing. A few teams have tried to develop them, but I don't think the phenomenon is widespread. It depends on the team and the scheme. Brandon Jacobs, T.J. Duckett, Marion Barber and Mike Alstott are the only guys who really have a chance of getting consistent goal-line opportunities this year. Greg Jones and Ciatrick Fason are also candidates, but the latter might not really be a factor with Chester Taylor expected to assume a heavy workload. There are also a few teams who don't have a clear-cut starting RB yet, making many of the top 15 or so RBs even more appealing. Most fantasy leagues award one point for every 10 rushing yards. And there's no way you can convince me Shaun Alexander is going to lose goal-line carries in Seattle. Leonard Weaver scoring form short range in exhibition games means nothing. He only had 17 regular season carries last year and I doubt he'll get much more than that this year. I fail to see the goal-line RB as a widespread trend. A few teams will employ a goal-line specialist, but not too many.

Hache Man

Aug. 25, 2006, 3:12 PM

FFL: Draft spotlight

By Scott Engel
ESPN Fantasy Games

<!-- begin presby2 -->

<!-- end presby2 -->
<!-- end bylinebox -->
Each week, we review the early rounds of an ESPN.com draft. See who other owners are choosing as you prepare for your own draft. All leagues reviewed have a starting lineup of 1 QB, 1 RB, 1 RB/WR, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 D/ST. All leagues award four points for a TD pass and two-point bonuses for TD passes, runs and receptions over 40 yards. All leagues reviewed are real leagues, not mock drafts. So next time you're drafting on ESPN.com, remember, we could be watching you!
This Week's Featured League: San Francisco 242726
Round One
1. Team Howen: Larry Johnson, RB, Chiefs
2. Team Jones: Shaun Alexander, RB, Seahawks
3. Team *: LaDainian Tomlinson, RB, Chargers
4. Birmingham Panthers: Peyton Manning, QB, Colts
5. Team Thompson: Tiki Barber, RB, Giants
6. Team TV: Edgerrin James, RB, Cardinals
7. Team Goldman: Steven Jackson, RB, Rams
8. Team Moore: Clinton Portis, RB, Redskins
9. Team Perret: LaMont Jordan, RB, Raiders
10. Team Cottrell: Carnell Williams, RB, Buccaneers
Engel's Take: No surprises in the first three here, although I'm on the verge of moving Alexander past Larry Johnson, as the Kansas City offensive line now has injuries as well as two notable retirements to contend with. This is too early for Manning, especially in a league that only awards four points for a TD pass. Barber is the smart pick at No. 5 and has become more attractive to fantasy owners in the fourth and fifth slots because of the Portis injury concerns. James' offensive line concerns are going to hurt his overall numbers for sure, and I won't take him if I'm in the top six. Portis' value is slipping to the point where I might not take him in the first round of a 10-team league. Jordan is terrific value at No. 9 overall. There is some hesitation by some owners to take him because of Oakland's preseason issues at QB, but Jordan performed well in adverse circumstances last year.
Round Two
11. TC: Ronnie Brown, RB, Dolphins
12. TP: Rudi Johnson, RB, Bengals
13. TM: Domanick Davis, RB, Texans
14. TG: Willis McGahee, RB, Bills
15: TTV: Steve Smith, WR, Panthers
16. TT: Chad Johnson, WR, Bengals
17: BP: Brian Westbrook, RB, Eagles
18. T*: Reggie Bush, RB, Saints
19. TJ: Torry Holt, WR, Rams
20: TH: Terrell Owens, WR, Cowboys
Engel's Take: Team Cottrell builds himself a fine backfield by taking Brown as the second of his back-to-back picks, and Team Perret makes another terrific value pick, getting Rudi Johnson at No. 12. Rudi is ultra-consistent and just because he isn't glamorous, he's slipping in some drafts when he is definitely worthy of a mid first-round pick. Davis' value is falling fast because of his knee problems, and you'll see him fall past this round in many upcoming drafts. With other top receivers dealing with injury problems, Chad Johnson is starting to look like the safest pick at the position. He has performed well with Anthony Wright in the preseason, easing concerns about how Cincinnati's QB picture might affect him. Westbrook's appeal is starting to fall a bit although he should still be ready for the season if he has no further setbacks. Bush is a great pick late in the second round, as he has no real major questions surrounding him and he looks like a threat to score often even if he doesn't get the ideal amount of touches.
Round Three
21. TH: Larry Fitzgerald, WR, Cardinals
22. TJ: Marvin Harrison, WR, Colts
23: T*: Randy Moss, WR, Raiders
24. BP: Antonio Gates, TE, Chargers
25: TT: Julius Jones, RB, Cowboys
26. TTV: Kevin Jones, RB, Lions
27. TG: Anquan Boldin, WR, Cardinals
28. TM: Hines Ward, WR, Steelers
29. TP: Reuben Droughns, RB, Browns
30. TC: Santana Moss, WR, Redskins
Engel's Take: Teams Howen and Jones pass on No. 2 RBs to grab No. 2 WRs, which is more applicable in a league that only requires a minimum of one RB starter, but I'd take the second RB here in most formats if I still need him. Gates is now settling in as a surefire third-rounder in a lot of drafts now that Philip Rivers is showing us he at least won't be a major flop. Julius Jones might not be the best RB on the board. Droughns is a better selection towards the end of the round, although I don't agree with Team Perret taking a third RB when you only have to start one. How about grabbing a starting receiver first instead of building depth? That's what I prefer. Team Cottrell is building a solid roster so far, with two strong running backs and a top wide receiver.
Round Four
31. TC: Chris Chambers, WR, Dolphins
32. TP: Corey Dillon, RB, Patriots
33: TM: Willie Parker, RB, Steelers
34. TG: Chester Taylor, RB, Vikings
35. TTV: Reggie Wayne, WR, Colts
36. TT: Jamal Lewis, RB, Ravens
37. BP: Carson Palmer, QB, Bengals
38. T*: Joseph Addai, RB, Colts
39. TJ: Jake Delhomme, QB, Panthers
40. TH: DeShaun Foster, RB, Panthers
Engel's Take: Another solid pick by Team Cottrell, although he has two Dolphins, and could be leaning too heavily on one team for his success this year. Team Perret becomes the one guy (there always seems to be one) who chooses to hoard RBs instead of filling out his starting lineup at receiver first. Why draft to trade when the players you might target in a deal are still on the board? The Parker pick is smart for Team Moore, which took two injury-risk RBs early on. Team Goldman doesn't need a third RB, but Taylor is still a great value pick here. He might go as early as the second round in some upcoming drafts. Team Thompson takes another questionable RB. But the most baffling pick of the draft so far is the Palmer selection by the Birmingham Panthers. There's absolutely no good reason to take a second QB in the fourth round, especially when you have the ultra-reliable Manning already. This is clearly a "draft-to-trade" move, which I totally disagree with. Again, why draft to make a deal when the players you might try to acquire later can simply be taken now? You should trade to fill needs later on, not draft to make deals down the line. Making sure you have a strong starting lineup comes first. The Delhomme pick is a definite reach, as you can get him at least two rounds later and there are better QBs still available.
Round Five
41. TH: Ahman Green, RB, Packers
42. TJ: Tony Gonzalez, TE, Chiefs
43. T*: Tatum Bell, RB, Broncos
44. BP: Plaxico Burress, WR, Giants
45. TT: Tom Brady, QB, Patriots
46. TTV: Warrick Dunn, RB, Falcons
47. TG: T.J. Houshmandzadeh, WR, Bengals
48. TM: Joey Galloway, WR, Buccaneers
49. TP: Donovan McNabb, QB, Eagles
50. TC: Matt Hasselbeck, QB, Seahawks

Engel's Take: I wouldn't take Tatum Bell over Mike Bell right now, especially with the former not giving us any reasons to believe he'll be anything more than a part-time RB. The Birmingham Panthers still get the receiver they might have been considering a round earlier, but could have taken another RB or a No. 2 WR at this pick instead of having to take a No. 1 receiver here. Brady is a great pick at this point, and should have been the second QB off the board after Manning. We're seeing the best QBs go by this point, and McNabb is also a solid choice. He was a good fantasy QB without Owens and a thin receiving corps in the past. Hasselbeck tends to go a bit earlier in some leagues, but he's the perfect choice here. He's not a classic elite fantasy QB, but he fills out the starting lineup of Team Cottrell very nicely here. TC has now filled out five of his starting slots, a very smart way to execute the first five rounds of your draft.
Round Six
51. TC: Bears defense/special teams
52. TP: Thomas Jones, RB, Bears
53. TM: Deuce McAllister, RB, Saints
54. TG: Chris Brown, RB, Titans
55. TTV: Jeremy Shockey, TE, Giants
56. TT: Roy Williams, WR, Lions
57. BP: Andre Johnson, WR, Texans
58. T*: Cedric Benson, RB, Bears
59. TJ: Falcons D/ST
60. TH: Darrell Jackson, WR, Seahawks

Engel's Take: Just when I was heaping praise on Team Cottrell, he takes a D/ST way too early. Even the best units shouldn't be considered for at least another four rounds, and you can still get a good one if you wait until the final rounds, which is the ideal strategy. Team Perrett is avoiding WRs for some unknown reason. Jones is the first of the two Chicago RBs picked, a newer trend recently because of some controvesry surrounding Benson. Shockey is a fine value selection here, and it's a little surprising to see Roy Williams slip this far, where Team Thompson makes the outstanding "steal". Team Jones also takes a D/ST, its second very questionable pick of the draft. Again, it's too early to take a unit at the position, and Atlanta's D/ST isn't even one of the best available. Team Jones started strong in the first three rounds but has made some very shaky picks in recent rounds.
The Later Rounds Team * makes a great pick in the seventh, grabbing Javon Walker. ... Team TV snatches Eli Manning in the same round. ... Team Moore also gets Todd Heap in the seventh. ... Team Cottrell lands Frank Gore at the end of the seventh round. .. Team Cottrell follows up with Donald Driver in the eighth. ... Team * nabs Lee Evans in the ninth. ... The Birmingham Panthers snare Mike Bell in the 10th round. .. Team Howen takes Kevan Barlow at the end of the 10th. ... Team Thompson steals Greg Jones in Round 13. ... Team Jones takes Jerious Norwood in the 14th round. .. Team Perret gets Reggie Brown in the 15th round.

<!--end leftcol --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Hache Man

Aug. 25, 2006, 3:12 PM

FFL: Draft spotlight

By Scott Engel
ESPN Fantasy Games

<!-- begin presby2 -->

<!-- end presby2 -->
<!-- end bylinebox -->
Each week, we review the early rounds of an ESPN.com draft. See who other owners are choosing as you prepare for your own draft. All leagues reviewed have a starting lineup of 1 QB, 1 RB, 1 RB/WR, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 D/ST. All leagues award four points for a TD pass and two-point bonuses for TD passes, runs and receptions over 40 yards. All leagues reviewed are real leagues, not mock drafts. So next time you're drafting on ESPN.com, remember, we could be watching you!
This Week's Featured League: San Francisco 242726
Round One
1. Team Howen: Larry Johnson, RB, Chiefs
2. Team Jones: Shaun Alexander, RB, Seahawks
3. Team *: LaDainian Tomlinson, RB, Chargers
4. Birmingham Panthers: Peyton Manning, QB, Colts
5. Team Thompson: Tiki Barber, RB, Giants
6. Team TV: Edgerrin James, RB, Cardinals
7. Team Goldman: Steven Jackson, RB, Rams
8. Team Moore: Clinton Portis, RB, Redskins
9. Team Perret: LaMont Jordan, RB, Raiders
10. Team Cottrell: Carnell Williams, RB, Buccaneers
Engel's Take: No surprises in the first three here, although I'm on the verge of moving Alexander past Larry Johnson, as the Kansas City offensive line now has injuries as well as two notable retirements to contend with. This is too early for Manning, especially in a league that only awards four points for a TD pass. Barber is the smart pick at No. 5 and has become more attractive to fantasy owners in the fourth and fifth slots because of the Portis injury concerns. James' offensive line concerns are going to hurt his overall numbers for sure, and I won't take him if I'm in the top six. Portis' value is slipping to the point where I might not take him in the first round of a 10-team league. Jordan is terrific value at No. 9 overall. There is some hesitation by some owners to take him because of Oakland's preseason issues at QB, but Jordan performed well in adverse circumstances last year.
Round Two
11. TC: Ronnie Brown, RB, Dolphins
12. TP: Rudi Johnson, RB, Bengals
13. TM: Domanick Davis, RB, Texans
14. TG: Willis McGahee, RB, Bills
15: TTV: Steve Smith, WR, Panthers
16. TT: Chad Johnson, WR, Bengals
17: BP: Brian Westbrook, RB, Eagles
18. T*: Reggie Bush, RB, Saints
19. TJ: Torry Holt, WR, Rams
20: TH: Terrell Owens, WR, Cowboys
Engel's Take: Team Cottrell builds himself a fine backfield by taking Brown as the second of his back-to-back picks, and Team Perret makes another terrific value pick, getting Rudi Johnson at No. 12. Rudi is ultra-consistent and just because he isn't glamorous, he's slipping in some drafts when he is definitely worthy of a mid first-round pick. Davis' value is falling fast because of his knee problems, and you'll see him fall past this round in many upcoming drafts. With other top receivers dealing with injury problems, Chad Johnson is starting to look like the safest pick at the position. He has performed well with Anthony Wright in the preseason, easing concerns about how Cincinnati's QB picture might affect him. Westbrook's appeal is starting to fall a bit although he should still be ready for the season if he has no further setbacks. Bush is a great pick late in the second round, as he has no real major questions surrounding him and he looks like a threat to score often even if he doesn't get the ideal amount of touches.
Round Three
21. TH: Larry Fitzgerald, WR, Cardinals
22. TJ: Marvin Harrison, WR, Colts
23: T*: Randy Moss, WR, Raiders
24. BP: Antonio Gates, TE, Chargers
25: TT: Julius Jones, RB, Cowboys
26. TTV: Kevin Jones, RB, Lions
27. TG: Anquan Boldin, WR, Cardinals
28. TM: Hines Ward, WR, Steelers
29. TP: Reuben Droughns, RB, Browns
30. TC: Santana Moss, WR, Redskins
Engel's Take: Teams Howen and Jones pass on No. 2 RBs to grab No. 2 WRs, which is more applicable in a league that only requires a minimum of one RB starter, but I'd take the second RB here in most formats if I still need him. Gates is now settling in as a surefire third-rounder in a lot of drafts now that Philip Rivers is showing us he at least won't be a major flop. Julius Jones might not be the best RB on the board. Droughns is a better selection towards the end of the round, although I don't agree with Team Perret taking a third RB when you only have to start one. How about grabbing a starting receiver first instead of building depth? That's what I prefer. Team Cottrell is building a solid roster so far, with two strong running backs and a top wide receiver.
Round Four
31. TC: Chris Chambers, WR, Dolphins
32. TP: Corey Dillon, RB, Patriots
33: TM: Willie Parker, RB, Steelers
34. TG: Chester Taylor, RB, Vikings
35. TTV: Reggie Wayne, WR, Colts
36. TT: Jamal Lewis, RB, Ravens
37. BP: Carson Palmer, QB, Bengals
38. T*: Joseph Addai, RB, Colts
39. TJ: Jake Delhomme, QB, Panthers
40. TH: DeShaun Foster, RB, Panthers
Engel's Take: Another solid pick by Team Cottrell, although he has two Dolphins, and could be leaning too heavily on one team for his success this year. Team Perret becomes the one guy (there always seems to be one) who chooses to hoard RBs instead of filling out his starting lineup at receiver first. Why draft to trade when the players you might target in a deal are still on the board? The Parker pick is smart for Team Moore, which took two injury-risk RBs early on. Team Goldman doesn't need a third RB, but Taylor is still a great value pick here. He might go as early as the second round in some upcoming drafts. Team Thompson takes another questionable RB. But the most baffling pick of the draft so far is the Palmer selection by the Birmingham Panthers. There's absolutely no good reason to take a second QB in the fourth round, especially when you have the ultra-reliable Manning already. This is clearly a "draft-to-trade" move, which I totally disagree with. Again, why draft to make a deal when the players you might try to acquire later can simply be taken now? You should trade to fill needs later on, not draft to make deals down the line. Making sure you have a strong starting lineup comes first. The Delhomme pick is a definite reach, as you can get him at least two rounds later and there are better QBs still available.
Round Five
41. TH: Ahman Green, RB, Packers
42. TJ: Tony Gonzalez, TE, Chiefs
43. T*: Tatum Bell, RB, Broncos
44. BP: Plaxico Burress, WR, Giants
45. TT: Tom Brady, QB, Patriots
46. TTV: Warrick Dunn, RB, Falcons
47. TG: T.J. Houshmandzadeh, WR, Bengals
48. TM: Joey Galloway, WR, Buccaneers
49. TP: Donovan McNabb, QB, Eagles
50. TC: Matt Hasselbeck, QB, Seahawks

Engel's Take: I wouldn't take Tatum Bell over Mike Bell right now, especially with the former not giving us any reasons to believe he'll be anything more than a part-time RB. The Birmingham Panthers still get the receiver they might have been considering a round earlier, but could have taken another RB or a No. 2 WR at this pick instead of having to take a No. 1 receiver here. Brady is a great pick at this point, and should have been the second QB off the board after Manning. We're seeing the best QBs go by this point, and McNabb is also a solid choice. He was a good fantasy QB without Owens and a thin receiving corps in the past. Hasselbeck tends to go a bit earlier in some leagues, but he's the perfect choice here. He's not a classic elite fantasy QB, but he fills out the starting lineup of Team Cottrell very nicely here. TC has now filled out five of his starting slots, a very smart way to execute the first five rounds of your draft.
Round Six
51. TC: Bears defense/special teams
52. TP: Thomas Jones, RB, Bears
53. TM: Deuce McAllister, RB, Saints
54. TG: Chris Brown, RB, Titans
55. TTV: Jeremy Shockey, TE, Giants
56. TT: Roy Williams, WR, Lions
57. BP: Andre Johnson, WR, Texans
58. T*: Cedric Benson, RB, Bears
59. TJ: Falcons D/ST
60. TH: Darrell Jackson, WR, Seahawks

Engel's Take: Just when I was heaping praise on Team Cottrell, he takes a D/ST way too early. Even the best units shouldn't be considered for at least another four rounds, and you can still get a good one if you wait until the final rounds, which is the ideal strategy. Team Perrett is avoiding WRs for some unknown reason. Jones is the first of the two Chicago RBs picked, a newer trend recently because of some controvesry surrounding Benson. Shockey is a fine value selection here, and it's a little surprising to see Roy Williams slip this far, where Team Thompson makes the outstanding "steal". Team Jones also takes a D/ST, its second very questionable pick of the draft. Again, it's too early to take a unit at the position, and Atlanta's D/ST isn't even one of the best available. Team Jones started strong in the first three rounds but has made some very shaky picks in recent rounds.
The Later Rounds Team * makes a great pick in the seventh, grabbing Javon Walker. ... Team TV snatches Eli Manning in the same round. ... Team Moore also gets Todd Heap in the seventh. ... Team Cottrell lands Frank Gore at the end of the seventh round. .. Team Cottrell follows up with Donald Driver in the eighth. ... Team * nabs Lee Evans in the ninth. ... The Birmingham Panthers snare Mike Bell in the 10th round. .. Team Howen takes Kevan Barlow at the end of the 10th. ... Team Thompson steals Greg Jones in Round 13. ... Team Jones takes Jerious Norwood in the 14th round. .. Team Perret gets Reggie Brown in the 15th round.

<!--end leftcol --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

EagleFan5

EOG Addicted
Re: NFL Fantasy Football News/Articles - ESPN Insider (5 New Article Added 8/25/06)

Re: NFL Fantasy Football News/Articles - ESPN Insider (5 New Article Added 8/25/06)

Hache what do you think about Eli Mannign this year?

Some think he'll be great, some think he's a bust

EagleFan5

EOG Addicted

Hache Man

He's got weapons Eagle, in Plaxico Burress, Shockey, Tiki Barber out of the backfield, etc.

Giants went 11-5 last season and was 3rd in the league in scoring with 422 points.
Seems that went unnoticed by many......

I personally expect him to do well........

Hache Man

He's got weapons Eagle, in Plaxico Burress, Shockey, Tiki Barber out of the backfield, etc.

Giants went 11-5 last season and was 3rd in the league in scoring with 422 points.
Seems that went unnoticed by many......

I personally expect him to do well........

Hache Man

Aug. 28, 2006, 3:25 PM

FFL: Weekend Wrap

By Scott Engel
ESPN Fantasy Games

<!-- begin presby2 -->

<!-- end presby2 -->
<!-- end bylinebox -->
Here's an in-depth look at some of the top stories from the past weekend, including player news and exhibition game performances.
Javon Walker breaks exhibition silence: Denver's newest receiver had missed the preseason opener and didn't catch a pass in the second exhibition game, raising some concerns among fantasy leaguers that he was coming along slowly in his return from a major knee injury. On Sunday night, however, Walker showed he is indeed ready to put a lost 2005 season behind him. Walker caught three passes for 41 yards, and it's clear Jake Plummer will make Walker a prime target in the Denver passing game this season. Walker has been dropping to the middle rounds of many drafts, and if he continues to show no apparent ill effects of last year's injury, he could be quite a bargain choice, especially as a No. 2 fantasy receiver.
The Houston RB picture: There have been nothing but vague reports and gloomy rumors about the health of Domanick Davis. So reserves Vernand Morency and rookie Wali Lundy continued to battle for playing time at RB on Sunday against Denver. While the Houston staff has indicated they want to see better play for Morency this preseason, he was outplayed by Lundy, the impressive and versatile rookie. Morency totaled 56 yards from scrimmage, but Lundy carried the ball 10 times for 44 yards while Morency finished with 36 rushing yards on 13 carries. Lundy also caught three passes for 17 yards. The two could end up sharing carries while Davis is out, but Lundy is looking like the slightly better fantasy pick in the later rounds right now. Morency has the edge in experience, but Lundy has shown a lot of promise during the preseason and could eventually beat out Morency for more playing time.
Big game for Ben Watson: Deion Branch has been sitting out because of a contract dispute, but Tom Brady still has looked good this preseason, and he might have found a new favorite target. Tight end Benjamin Watson caught eight passes for 97 yards and a TD against Washington. Watson also drew two flags for pass interference. Even if Branch returns to New England soon, Brady is known for distributing the ball well, and it's clear Watson could be one of his top options on a regular basis. Watson could be primed for a breakthrough season, so don't hesitate to bump him up on your cheat sheets and take him when the top five or so tight ends have already been picked.
Barlow's forgettable debut: In his first game in a Jets uniform, Kevan Barlow rushed for only 11 yards on three carries and lost a fumble. While Barlow did nothing to inspire fantasy leaguers to gain more confidence in him, his outing shouldn't necessarily be viewed as a sign of things to come in 2006. It will take Barlow some time to adjust to new schemes and surroundings. He could still ultimately end up as a decent flex player or a third fantasy RB. If Barlow doesn't play well, though, don't expect Derrick Blaylock to become a prime option for the Jets. Blaylock might not be able to take the pounding of playing often and has had trouble with his pass blocking this preseason. Barlow should remain worthy of a mid-round pick in most leagues, and you should see improved play from him soon as he attempts to prove himself with his new ballclub.
Gore seizes the opportunity: Frank Gore quickly showed what he is capable of as San Francisco's starting RB. With Barlow now out of the picture, Gore immediately pounced on the chance to be a featured back. Gore carried nine times for 49 yards against Dallas and was a clear challenge to the defense even while quarterback Alex Smith didn't play at an optimum level. Since the Barlow trade, Gore has shot up in fantasy value, and is now being targeted as a No. 2 fantasy RB by many owners. He makes a fine pick early in the fourth round of upcoming drafts.
More Terrell Owens trouble: The details of Terrell Owens' unsettling preseason are already well-known to most fantasy players, and now he has drawn a fine from his new team. Instead of rehashing the details, it's more important to affirm that Owens, who was considered a possible top-three fantasy receiver before camp began, has certainly hurt his fantasy stock with his continued antics. Many fantasy owners expected Owens to be on his best behavior this year while he tried to put his problems with the Eagles behind him, at least for one year. But Owens has continued to be a big problem for his new team, the Cowboys, and has even hurt his chances of opening the season as a starter. Owens is still a top-10 fantasy receiver because of his incredible talent and the possibility that he will suddenly become healthy and less of a problem for Dallas when the regular season starts. But it's clear you shouldn't pick him over other top receivers with no character or injury issues. Chad Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald and Marvin Harrison are among the top-level wide receivers who are clearly better picks than Owens right now.
Duckett doesn't look good: T.J. Duckett didn't do much to raise his fantasy appeal in his first exhibition game with the Redskins, as he rushed for only eight yards on four carries. Still, one forgettable preseason performance shouldn't make fantasy owners avoid Duckett, especially as a handcuff pick to Clinton Portis. Duckett is a proven goal-line presence who could really shine if he gets the opportunity to carry often for Washington. If Portis misses any time this season because of his shoulder problem, Duckett could play well if he is needed to start for the Redskins at some point. He should be at least good for some spot scores as a fantasy reserve. Don't hesitate to grab Duckett in the middle rounds of your draft or to make a trade for him if you already have Portis on your roster.
Falcons rookie puts on a show: Jerious Norwood might have driven Duckett out of Atlanta with his great camp, and he continued to amaze onlookers when the Falcons took on Tennessee on Saturday. Norwood rushed for 104 yards on nine carries, including a 62-yard scoring run. Norwood certainly is in line to share some carries with Warrick Dunn and is looking like a very appealing flex option/No. 3 fantasy RB. Dunn might get some more goal-line carries with Duckett gone, but Norwood should certainly serve as a regular option to keep Dunn from getting overworked. Norwood has created a major buzz in Atlanta's 2006 camp since the beginning, and he has the potential to score from anywhere on the field.
Deuce shows some promise: While much hype surrounds his rookie running mate, Deuce McAllister served notice that both he and Reggie Bush could be integral parts of the New Orleans offense this season. McAllister rushed for 62 yards and a TD against the Colts. It's clear McAllister will get a healthy amount of touches and opportunities to score if he can steer clear of any further injury issues. He might be statistically inconsistent in his first season back from a major injury, but he could have some quality outings and he looks like a good third fantasy RB for now. McAllister's successful Saturday, however, shouldn't reflect negatively on the appeal of Bush. The rookie had 10 touches against Indianapolis, and he should get a lot of work as both a runner and receiver. Bush can score from anywhere on the field. He still should be drafted as a No. 2 fantasy RB with great upside.
Braylon Edwards back in action: Second-year receiver Braylon Edwards has recovered quicker than expected from last year's knee injury. He made his preseason debut against Buffalo. Edwards caught only one pass for nine yards, but his return to the field was very encouraging. With no setbacks, Edwards should be ready for the regular season. Even if he starts slowly from a statistical perspective, and the Browns exercise caution with him, Edwards clearly has the ability to re-emerge as a quality fantasy starter later in the season. He's looking like a fine later-round bargain or good trade target for upside right now.
Larry Johnson runs over Rams: While there have been recent concerns about injuries and losses of key veterans on the Kansas City offensive line, Larry Johnson has remained focused on making the most of his first chance to be a clear-cut starter. Johnson carried nine times for 37 yards and a TD against St. Louis. While Johnson is still certainly worthy of a top-three pick because of his upside, I noted that he posted those promising weekend numbers against a Rams defense that could be one of the league's weaker units this year. Johnson should still finish with fine overall numbers, but he could have to work harder for yardage against better opponents during the regular season. Personally, I have dropped him to third at RB behind safer choices Shaun Alexander and LaDainian Tomlinson. Thomas Jones returns: Jones carried four times for three yards against the Cardinals on Friday. While he didn't report any problems following his preseason debut, it was apparent he wasn't quite himself in his return from a hamstring problem. Cedric Benson sat out again because of a shoulder injury but could still pass Jones on the depth chart when he is healthy again. The two RBs could conceivably split playing time during the regular season.

Hache Man

Aug. 28, 2006, 3:25 PM

FFL: Weekend Wrap

By Scott Engel
ESPN Fantasy Games

<!-- begin presby2 -->

<!-- end presby2 -->
<!-- end bylinebox -->
Here's an in-depth look at some of the top stories from the past weekend, including player news and exhibition game performances.
Javon Walker breaks exhibition silence: Denver's newest receiver had missed the preseason opener and didn't catch a pass in the second exhibition game, raising some concerns among fantasy leaguers that he was coming along slowly in his return from a major knee injury. On Sunday night, however, Walker showed he is indeed ready to put a lost 2005 season behind him. Walker caught three passes for 41 yards, and it's clear Jake Plummer will make Walker a prime target in the Denver passing game this season. Walker has been dropping to the middle rounds of many drafts, and if he continues to show no apparent ill effects of last year's injury, he could be quite a bargain choice, especially as a No. 2 fantasy receiver.
The Houston RB picture: There have been nothing but vague reports and gloomy rumors about the health of Domanick Davis. So reserves Vernand Morency and rookie Wali Lundy continued to battle for playing time at RB on Sunday against Denver. While the Houston staff has indicated they want to see better play for Morency this preseason, he was outplayed by Lundy, the impressive and versatile rookie. Morency totaled 56 yards from scrimmage, but Lundy carried the ball 10 times for 44 yards while Morency finished with 36 rushing yards on 13 carries. Lundy also caught three passes for 17 yards. The two could end up sharing carries while Davis is out, but Lundy is looking like the slightly better fantasy pick in the later rounds right now. Morency has the edge in experience, but Lundy has shown a lot of promise during the preseason and could eventually beat out Morency for more playing time.
Big game for Ben Watson: Deion Branch has been sitting out because of a contract dispute, but Tom Brady still has looked good this preseason, and he might have found a new favorite target. Tight end Benjamin Watson caught eight passes for 97 yards and a TD against Washington. Watson also drew two flags for pass interference. Even if Branch returns to New England soon, Brady is known for distributing the ball well, and it's clear Watson could be one of his top options on a regular basis. Watson could be primed for a breakthrough season, so don't hesitate to bump him up on your cheat sheets and take him when the top five or so tight ends have already been picked.
Barlow's forgettable debut: In his first game in a Jets uniform, Kevan Barlow rushed for only 11 yards on three carries and lost a fumble. While Barlow did nothing to inspire fantasy leaguers to gain more confidence in him, his outing shouldn't necessarily be viewed as a sign of things to come in 2006. It will take Barlow some time to adjust to new schemes and surroundings. He could still ultimately end up as a decent flex player or a third fantasy RB. If Barlow doesn't play well, though, don't expect Derrick Blaylock to become a prime option for the Jets. Blaylock might not be able to take the pounding of playing often and has had trouble with his pass blocking this preseason. Barlow should remain worthy of a mid-round pick in most leagues, and you should see improved play from him soon as he attempts to prove himself with his new ballclub.
Gore seizes the opportunity: Frank Gore quickly showed what he is capable of as San Francisco's starting RB. With Barlow now out of the picture, Gore immediately pounced on the chance to be a featured back. Gore carried nine times for 49 yards against Dallas and was a clear challenge to the defense even while quarterback Alex Smith didn't play at an optimum level. Since the Barlow trade, Gore has shot up in fantasy value, and is now being targeted as a No. 2 fantasy RB by many owners. He makes a fine pick early in the fourth round of upcoming drafts.
More Terrell Owens trouble: The details of Terrell Owens' unsettling preseason are already well-known to most fantasy players, and now he has drawn a fine from his new team. Instead of rehashing the details, it's more important to affirm that Owens, who was considered a possible top-three fantasy receiver before camp began, has certainly hurt his fantasy stock with his continued antics. Many fantasy owners expected Owens to be on his best behavior this year while he tried to put his problems with the Eagles behind him, at least for one year. But Owens has continued to be a big problem for his new team, the Cowboys, and has even hurt his chances of opening the season as a starter. Owens is still a top-10 fantasy receiver because of his incredible talent and the possibility that he will suddenly become healthy and less of a problem for Dallas when the regular season starts. But it's clear you shouldn't pick him over other top receivers with no character or injury issues. Chad Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald and Marvin Harrison are among the top-level wide receivers who are clearly better picks than Owens right now.
Duckett doesn't look good: T.J. Duckett didn't do much to raise his fantasy appeal in his first exhibition game with the Redskins, as he rushed for only eight yards on four carries. Still, one forgettable preseason performance shouldn't make fantasy owners avoid Duckett, especially as a handcuff pick to Clinton Portis. Duckett is a proven goal-line presence who could really shine if he gets the opportunity to carry often for Washington. If Portis misses any time this season because of his shoulder problem, Duckett could play well if he is needed to start for the Redskins at some point. He should be at least good for some spot scores as a fantasy reserve. Don't hesitate to grab Duckett in the middle rounds of your draft or to make a trade for him if you already have Portis on your roster.
Falcons rookie puts on a show: Jerious Norwood might have driven Duckett out of Atlanta with his great camp, and he continued to amaze onlookers when the Falcons took on Tennessee on Saturday. Norwood rushed for 104 yards on nine carries, including a 62-yard scoring run. Norwood certainly is in line to share some carries with Warrick Dunn and is looking like a very appealing flex option/No. 3 fantasy RB. Dunn might get some more goal-line carries with Duckett gone, but Norwood should certainly serve as a regular option to keep Dunn from getting overworked. Norwood has created a major buzz in Atlanta's 2006 camp since the beginning, and he has the potential to score from anywhere on the field.
Deuce shows some promise: While much hype surrounds his rookie running mate, Deuce McAllister served notice that both he and Reggie Bush could be integral parts of the New Orleans offense this season. McAllister rushed for 62 yards and a TD against the Colts. It's clear McAllister will get a healthy amount of touches and opportunities to score if he can steer clear of any further injury issues. He might be statistically inconsistent in his first season back from a major injury, but he could have some quality outings and he looks like a good third fantasy RB for now. McAllister's successful Saturday, however, shouldn't reflect negatively on the appeal of Bush. The rookie had 10 touches against Indianapolis, and he should get a lot of work as both a runner and receiver. Bush can score from anywhere on the field. He still should be drafted as a No. 2 fantasy RB with great upside.
Braylon Edwards back in action: Second-year receiver Braylon Edwards has recovered quicker than expected from last year's knee injury. He made his preseason debut against Buffalo. Edwards caught only one pass for nine yards, but his return to the field was very encouraging. With no setbacks, Edwards should be ready for the regular season. Even if he starts slowly from a statistical perspective, and the Browns exercise caution with him, Edwards clearly has the ability to re-emerge as a quality fantasy starter later in the season. He's looking like a fine later-round bargain or good trade target for upside right now.
Larry Johnson runs over Rams: While there have been recent concerns about injuries and losses of key veterans on the Kansas City offensive line, Larry Johnson has remained focused on making the most of his first chance to be a clear-cut starter. Johnson carried nine times for 37 yards and a TD against St. Louis. While Johnson is still certainly worthy of a top-three pick because of his upside, I noted that he posted those promising weekend numbers against a Rams defense that could be one of the league's weaker units this year. Johnson should still finish with fine overall numbers, but he could have to work harder for yardage against better opponents during the regular season. Personally, I have dropped him to third at RB behind safer choices Shaun Alexander and LaDainian Tomlinson. Thomas Jones returns: Jones carried four times for three yards against the Cardinals on Friday. While he didn't report any problems following his preseason debut, it was apparent he wasn't quite himself in his return from a hamstring problem. Cedric Benson sat out again because of a shoulder injury but could still pass Jones on the depth chart when he is healthy again. The two RBs could conceivably split playing time during the regular season.

Hache Man

Aug. 28, 2006, 1:25 PM

ESPN Fantasy Games

<!-- begin presby2 -->

<!-- end presby2 -->
<!-- end bylinebox -->
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 10px" vAlign=top><!-- begin leftcol --><!-- template inline -->I'll admit to being spoiled. As I type this, I'm sitting at the gate at Washington Dulles airport, typing away on my laptop despite the inexplicable lack of Wi-Fi here. The great thing about this job and modern technology is that I can still do it. My PDA is bringing me texts and e-mails while my cell phone is pinging me with alerts and news. Sure, my pockets might be full, but the time spent waiting on airplanes is no longer wasted because I can still do my job.

Hache Man

Aug. 28, 2006, 1:25 PM

ESPN Fantasy Games

<!-- begin presby2 -->

<!-- end presby2 -->
<!-- end bylinebox -->
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 10px" vAlign=top><!-- begin leftcol --><!-- template inline -->I'll admit to being spoiled. As I type this, I'm sitting at the gate at Washington Dulles airport, typing away on my laptop despite the inexplicable lack of Wi-Fi here. The great thing about this job and modern technology is that I can still do it. My PDA is bringing me texts and e-mails while my cell phone is pinging me with alerts and news. Sure, my pockets might be full, but the time spent waiting on airplanes is no longer wasted because I can still do my job.

Hache Man

Aug. 28, 2006, 3:17 PM

Langendorf: Defensive Thinking

<!-- firstName = Jason --><!-- lastName = Langendorf -->
By Jason Langendorf
ESPN Fantasy Games

<!-- begin presby2 -->

<!-- end presby2 -->
<!-- end bylinebox -->
Show me anything more glamorous than drafting a fantasy defense. A runaway victory in a toenail-clipping contest? Uh-uh. An all-expenses-paid trip to a "Battlestar Gallactica" fantasy camp? No chance.
Look, defenses are where it's at. And the special teams? I have one word for you: dreamy. Who cares about The Next Michael Jordan? Let's talk about The Next Steve Tasker.
Fine, defense/special teams aren't exactly A-listers on draft day--but don't fall asleep on them. Absent-mindedly grab some unit with a rep or just settle on one that scored well last season, and rival owners will have a name for you: putz.
Because little separates the first-tier and second-tier units and there's all kinds of volatility among D/STs from year to year, assessing relative value as your draft unfolds is crucial. Know the best, but don't be afraid to wait on the rest (which, weirdly, could wind up being the best by season's end). A quick primer on the D/STs fantasy owners should familiarize themselves with:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=200 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD width=8><SPACER width="8" type="block" height="1"></TD><TD width=300 bgColor=#ecece4>[FONT=Arial,Helvetica, sans-serif]Jason Langendorf's D/ST Rankings
1. Bears
2. Steelers
3. Panthers
4. Jaguars
5. Seahawks
6. Ravens
7. Eagles
8. Colts
9. Buccaneers
10. Chargers
11. Cowboys
12. Falcons
13. Patriots
14. Redskins
15. Dolphins
16. Giants
17. Vikings
18. Bengals
19. Chiefs
20. Broncos
21. Cardinals
22. Browns
23. Packers
24. Lions
25. Bills
26. Titans
27. Raiders
28. Jets
29. Rams
30. Saints
31. 49ers
32. Texans
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>1. Bears, 2. Steelers, 3. Panthers
Why bother separating this bunch? All three defenses have a sweet mix of youth and veteran experience, time-tested systems and tough-guy coaches who put a premium on physical play and creating chaos for opposing offenses. With so many returning starters and so few questions, Chicago has the edge over Pittsburgh and Carolina -- but only a slight one. If Panthers DT Kris Jenkins stays healthy and/or the Steelers fill holes left behind by DE Kimo von Oelhoffen and FS Chris Hope, either or both could leapfrog the Bears. It's slim margins like these, not to mention heavy turnover and wildly fluctuating injury fortunes, that make drafting a defense/special teams unit so dicey. Let some other sucker in your league take a defense in the middle rounds while you stockpile insurance policies at running back and receiver.
6. Ravens
Yeah, so they stunk it up last year and fell well short of expectations. Or did they? Despite being dragged down by a bumbling offense and losing LB Ray Lewis and SS Ed Reed (among others) for significant stretches, Baltimore ranked No. 11 among D/ST units in ESPN traditional leagues in 2005. Truth is, the Ravens could score well in '06 with Ray Liotta and Ed Lover in the lineup. DE Terrell Suggs is an East Coast Dwight Freeney, and CB Chris McAlister and Samari Rolle are the league's best pair of cover corners. QB Steve McNair will increase Baltimore's offensive efficiency, giving the D more rest. And don't get me started on B.J. Sams, a blink-and-you-miss return man. If DE Trevor Pryce has anything left and wide-load rookie DT Haloti Ngata can protect the linebackers on running downs, this group will be more consistent against the run. And if Lewis and Reed are healthy, the Ravens will make the move from top 10 to top five in sacks and could realistically double last season's 12 interceptions. True story: I've routinely snagged Baltimore in the 16th and 17th rounds of my preseason drafts.
7. Eagles
Philly is the White Castle of 2006 D/ST units: It's late, your choices aren't exactly thrilling -- but, dude, you need something. ... Well, there's always the Eagles. And why not? Philadelphia signed DE Darren Howard and drafted DT Broderick Bunkley to replenish its line depth -- a key to the system -- and prodigal-son LB Shawn Barber could spruce up a second-level trio that can be kindly described as LB Jeremiah Trotter and the Pips. What matters most is the health of QB Donovan McNabb and RB Brian Westbrook. If the offense starts humming again and Philly's D gets to regularly work with a lead, coordinator Jim Johnson will dust off his blitz packages and give the NFL's best secondary more chances to make plays. I trust this bunch more than several '05 flashes in the pan (Cincy, the Giants and even Indy).
8. Colts, 9. Buccaneers
Two cover 2 defenses that scored respectably in '05 (Colts: third, Bucs: seventh). Indianapolis has enough bullets to keep the offense dangerous A.E (After Edge), and Tampa Bay appears poised to make a leap behind maturing QB Chris Simms and RB Carnell Williams. But both of these teams rely on front-four pressure to disrupt the run and get to the quarterback -- something I'm skeptical they can summon every week. The Colts desperately need DT Corey Simon to be in shape to plug the run and make up for weak depth, but his arthroscopic knee surgery last week is a bad omen. Indy's undersized linebackers won't hold up if Simon doesn't play a lot of downs and the offense can't provide adequate rest. The Bucs still have playmakers, but they're geezers -- scary stuff for a D that no longer has a passel of promising reserves.
10. Chargers
I want to fall head-over-heels "Swimfan"-crazy in love with San Diego's D. I really do. But the Bolts' offense scares the bejesus out of me -- only slightly more so than the secondary and the schedule. QB Philip Rivers is a smart coach's kid with plenty going for him: savvy, touch, toughness. What he doesn't have is a single NFL start under his belt. And those receivers make San Francisco's coaches say, "Geez, we thought we had it bad ..." If this club keeps abusing poor RB LaDainian Tomlinson like some kind of a circus animal, he'll break down and leave the offense on the skids. And then no level of heroics from a studly front seven can save the Chargers from the AFC West offenses and their own defensive backfield shortcomings. Of course, if LT can keep channeling Cal Ripken and giving the D extra sideline time and a lead, LB Shawne Merriman and the boys could make as many plays as any D/ST unit.
13. Patriots
Casual fans who saw highlights of the 2005 Duane Starks Toast-a-thon don't realize that New England actually has the makings of a solid secondary. The wiles and machinations of Bill Belichick and his staff and a healthy return by SS Rodney Harrison (though hardly a foregone conclusion) could make the unit a bona fide strength. Less rosy is the outlook for the front seven. The starters, almost to a man, are cream-of-the-crop players whose talent, experience and familiarity with the system can't be overemphasized. But they're graying a bit (especially the linebackers) and don't have the most sterling health history. If DE Richard Seymour and LB Tedy Bruschi can avoid injuries and the Pats emerge from their Week 6 bye relatively unscathed, there's plenty of patsies to pick off on the other side.
16. Giants, 20. Broncos I can believe in "The 4400", every plotline in "Lost" and the graceful aging of country crooner and "Six Pack" uber-star Kenny Rogers. But not for a second am I buying New York and Denver's defenses. Don't get me wrong, both have their share of assets. The Giants have to bookend edge men in DEs Michael Strahan and Osi Umenyiora, and LB LaVar Arrington give N.Y. opponents another pass rusher to somehow account for. The Broncos' linebackers are excellent, the cornerbacks should only get better, and the line stunned with its steadiness in '05. But the Giants' D has a soft, gooey center and fun prizes for opposing run games (touchdowns!). And the corners will get burned downfield -- and probably often -- if the pass rush doesn't cook up unwavering heat. Denver? DE Trevor Pryce will be missed, if only for the depth he provided. It will be almost impossible to repeat last year's 36 takeaways (fourth in the NFL) without a stronger pass rush (uh, adding DE John Engelberger ain't gonna cut it). And the opportunities just won't be there if the Broncos' offense doesn't overcome an aging line and massive turnover at the skill positions.

Hache Man

Aug. 28, 2006, 3:17 PM

Langendorf: Defensive Thinking

<!-- firstName = Jason --><!-- lastName = Langendorf -->
By Jason Langendorf
ESPN Fantasy Games

<!-- begin presby2 -->

<!-- end presby2 -->
<!-- end bylinebox -->
Show me anything more glamorous than drafting a fantasy defense. A runaway victory in a toenail-clipping contest? Uh-uh. An all-expenses-paid trip to a "Battlestar Gallactica" fantasy camp? No chance.
Look, defenses are where it's at. And the special teams? I have one word for you: dreamy. Who cares about The Next Michael Jordan? Let's talk about The Next Steve Tasker.
Fine, defense/special teams aren't exactly A-listers on draft day--but don't fall asleep on them. Absent-mindedly grab some unit with a rep or just settle on one that scored well last season, and rival owners will have a name for you: putz.
Because little separates the first-tier and second-tier units and there's all kinds of volatility among D/STs from year to year, assessing relative value as your draft unfolds is crucial. Know the best, but don't be afraid to wait on the rest (which, weirdly, could wind up being the best by season's end). A quick primer on the D/STs fantasy owners should familiarize themselves with:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=200 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD width=8><SPACER width="8" type="block" height="1"></TD><TD width=300 bgColor=#ecece4>[FONT=Arial,Helvetica, sans-serif]Jason Langendorf's D/ST Rankings
1. Bears
2. Steelers
3. Panthers
4. Jaguars
5. Seahawks
6. Ravens
7. Eagles
8. Colts
9. Buccaneers
10. Chargers
11. Cowboys
12. Falcons
13. Patriots
14. Redskins
15. Dolphins
16. Giants
17. Vikings
18. Bengals
19. Chiefs
20. Broncos
21. Cardinals
22. Browns
23. Packers
24. Lions
25. Bills
26. Titans
27. Raiders
28. Jets
29. Rams
30. Saints
31. 49ers
32. Texans
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>1. Bears, 2. Steelers, 3. Panthers
Why bother separating this bunch? All three defenses have a sweet mix of youth and veteran experience, time-tested systems and tough-guy coaches who put a premium on physical play and creating chaos for opposing offenses. With so many returning starters and so few questions, Chicago has the edge over Pittsburgh and Carolina -- but only a slight one. If Panthers DT Kris Jenkins stays healthy and/or the Steelers fill holes left behind by DE Kimo von Oelhoffen and FS Chris Hope, either or both could leapfrog the Bears. It's slim margins like these, not to mention heavy turnover and wildly fluctuating injury fortunes, that make drafting a defense/special teams unit so dicey. Let some other sucker in your league take a defense in the middle rounds while you stockpile insurance policies at running back and receiver.
6. Ravens
Yeah, so they stunk it up last year and fell well short of expectations. Or did they? Despite being dragged down by a bumbling offense and losing LB Ray Lewis and SS Ed Reed (among others) for significant stretches, Baltimore ranked No. 11 among D/ST units in ESPN traditional leagues in 2005. Truth is, the Ravens could score well in '06 with Ray Liotta and Ed Lover in the lineup. DE Terrell Suggs is an East Coast Dwight Freeney, and CB Chris McAlister and Samari Rolle are the league's best pair of cover corners. QB Steve McNair will increase Baltimore's offensive efficiency, giving the D more rest. And don't get me started on B.J. Sams, a blink-and-you-miss return man. If DE Trevor Pryce has anything left and wide-load rookie DT Haloti Ngata can protect the linebackers on running downs, this group will be more consistent against the run. And if Lewis and Reed are healthy, the Ravens will make the move from top 10 to top five in sacks and could realistically double last season's 12 interceptions. True story: I've routinely snagged Baltimore in the 16th and 17th rounds of my preseason drafts.
7. Eagles
Philly is the White Castle of 2006 D/ST units: It's late, your choices aren't exactly thrilling -- but, dude, you need something. ... Well, there's always the Eagles. And why not? Philadelphia signed DE Darren Howard and drafted DT Broderick Bunkley to replenish its line depth -- a key to the system -- and prodigal-son LB Shawn Barber could spruce up a second-level trio that can be kindly described as LB Jeremiah Trotter and the Pips. What matters most is the health of QB Donovan McNabb and RB Brian Westbrook. If the offense starts humming again and Philly's D gets to regularly work with a lead, coordinator Jim Johnson will dust off his blitz packages and give the NFL's best secondary more chances to make plays. I trust this bunch more than several '05 flashes in the pan (Cincy, the Giants and even Indy).
8. Colts, 9. Buccaneers
Two cover 2 defenses that scored respectably in '05 (Colts: third, Bucs: seventh). Indianapolis has enough bullets to keep the offense dangerous A.E (After Edge), and Tampa Bay appears poised to make a leap behind maturing QB Chris Simms and RB Carnell Williams. But both of these teams rely on front-four pressure to disrupt the run and get to the quarterback -- something I'm skeptical they can summon every week. The Colts desperately need DT Corey Simon to be in shape to plug the run and make up for weak depth, but his arthroscopic knee surgery last week is a bad omen. Indy's undersized linebackers won't hold up if Simon doesn't play a lot of downs and the offense can't provide adequate rest. The Bucs still have playmakers, but they're geezers -- scary stuff for a D that no longer has a passel of promising reserves.
10. Chargers
I want to fall head-over-heels "Swimfan"-crazy in love with San Diego's D. I really do. But the Bolts' offense scares the bejesus out of me -- only slightly more so than the secondary and the schedule. QB Philip Rivers is a smart coach's kid with plenty going for him: savvy, touch, toughness. What he doesn't have is a single NFL start under his belt. And those receivers make San Francisco's coaches say, "Geez, we thought we had it bad ..." If this club keeps abusing poor RB LaDainian Tomlinson like some kind of a circus animal, he'll break down and leave the offense on the skids. And then no level of heroics from a studly front seven can save the Chargers from the AFC West offenses and their own defensive backfield shortcomings. Of course, if LT can keep channeling Cal Ripken and giving the D extra sideline time and a lead, LB Shawne Merriman and the boys could make as many plays as any D/ST unit.
13. Patriots
Casual fans who saw highlights of the 2005 Duane Starks Toast-a-thon don't realize that New England actually has the makings of a solid secondary. The wiles and machinations of Bill Belichick and his staff and a healthy return by SS Rodney Harrison (though hardly a foregone conclusion) could make the unit a bona fide strength. Less rosy is the outlook for the front seven. The starters, almost to a man, are cream-of-the-crop players whose talent, experience and familiarity with the system can't be overemphasized. But they're graying a bit (especially the linebackers) and don't have the most sterling health history. If DE Richard Seymour and LB Tedy Bruschi can avoid injuries and the Pats emerge from their Week 6 bye relatively unscathed, there's plenty of patsies to pick off on the other side.
16. Giants, 20. Broncos I can believe in "The 4400", every plotline in "Lost" and the graceful aging of country crooner and "Six Pack" uber-star Kenny Rogers. But not for a second am I buying New York and Denver's defenses. Don't get me wrong, both have their share of assets. The Giants have to bookend edge men in DEs Michael Strahan and Osi Umenyiora, and LB LaVar Arrington give N.Y. opponents another pass rusher to somehow account for. The Broncos' linebackers are excellent, the cornerbacks should only get better, and the line stunned with its steadiness in '05. But the Giants' D has a soft, gooey center and fun prizes for opposing run games (touchdowns!). And the corners will get burned downfield -- and probably often -- if the pass rush doesn't cook up unwavering heat. Denver? DE Trevor Pryce will be missed, if only for the depth he provided. It will be almost impossible to repeat last year's 36 takeaways (fourth in the NFL) without a stronger pass rush (uh, adding DE John Engelberger ain't gonna cut it). And the opportunities just won't be there if the Broncos' offense doesn't overcome an aging line and massive turnover at the skill positions.

Hache Man

Aug. 28, 2006, 1:24 PM

Carroll Injury Report: Portis may be ready for Week 1

ESPN Fantasy Games

<!-- begin presby2 -->

<!-- end presby2 -->
<!-- end bylinebox -->
Injuries are like the weather; everyone talks about them but no one seems to do anything about it. That's where I come in. Like the weather, injuries follow patterns and move in ways that we can both predict and forecast. We're no longer without the data and research necessary to say more than a broad range ("He's out six to eight weeks.") Every fantasy player, every fan of a team, everyone that follows the game understands that injuries can make or break the season. If you follow the metaphor, I'm your weatherman. You might know my work from Baseball Prospectus, where my "Under The Knife" column is read by thousands of readers and all 30 front offices. I brought the same approach to injury analysis to Pro Football Prospectus in 2005 and 2006, making some NFL head coaches call me "their worst nightmare." I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on TV; I'm a reporter and analyst, focused on using contacts, databases, and information to help the fantasy player avoid the injuries that can ruin a season. Let's get to it:
The biggest injury on the football radar right now is the shoulder of Clinton Portis. Portis had a subluxation of his right shoulder, commonly called a 'partial dislocation.' The humeral head sits in the Carson Palmer. Where Culpepper has been confident, Palmer has been tentative. It's an interesting contrast.
For fantasy players, both are excellent risks. There's seldom an immediate recurrence of the injury, players come back in better condition due to their hard work in rehab, and once returned to function, a player on a reconstructed knee is at very little additional risk compared to any other player at his position and profile. Culpepper has looked great in camp according to most reports and appears ready for Week One. He'll throw a bit more, run a bit less, but doesn't appear to have made significant changes to his style. Palmer, on the other hand, is unlikely to be ready until Week 3 or 4. If he comes back sooner, it won't be a "rush job" as some will call it, but it raises a possibility that he won't be at level. Both players have some risk of pain and soreness costing them some time, but both play on grass through Week Three, a big plus. (Minnesota visits Houston in Week 4, a FieldTurf stadium.) If you can talk up the injury in pre-draft chatter, you might just steal two of the top ten fantasy QBs. Bumps and Bruises: Another ACL survivor is Deuce McAllister, who has Reggie Bush firmly in his rear view mirror. McAllister saw his first game action on Monday and looked good, not great. He lacked burst and didn't appear to be confident in his ability to move laterally. Recovered fully or not, McAllister is likely to lose some touches to Bush ... I'm growing more and more concerned about Steve Smith. The speedy receiver isn't making normal progress after a hamstring strain. Don't overdraft Smith; this injury puts him a few slots down on the WR charts and with all the depth out there, passing up Smith might be the best way to manage roster risk ... An interesting side effect of Ben Roethlisberger's crash was that he lost 15 pounds on his enforced diet. That's good for his knees, but doesn't help his thumb. Big Ben's thumb is rapidly becoming a chronic problem ... The outlook is bleak for Domanick Davis. His knees have a bone-on-bone situation after "minor" surgery last season, something that won't change any time soon. Remember, Texans fans - Reggie Bush has no knee problems. You might remember another Davis with similar problems - Terrell Davis. Last I saw him was in Madden 2006. ... The Cowboys have two big problems. One, Terrell Owens, has been covered elsewhere and his hamstring injury isn't worth typing about. The other, Mike Vanderjagt, had a recurrence of his groin strain while warming up Monday and is doubtful for Week 1.

Hache Man

Aug. 28, 2006, 1:24 PM

Carroll Injury Report: Portis may be ready for Week 1

ESPN Fantasy Games

<!-- begin presby2 -->

<!-- end presby2 -->
<!-- end bylinebox -->
Injuries are like the weather; everyone talks about them but no one seems to do anything about it. That's where I come in. Like the weather, injuries follow patterns and move in ways that we can both predict and forecast. We're no longer without the data and research necessary to say more than a broad range ("He's out six to eight weeks.") Every fantasy player, every fan of a team, everyone that follows the game understands that injuries can make or break the season. If you follow the metaphor, I'm your weatherman. You might know my work from Baseball Prospectus, where my "Under The Knife" column is read by thousands of readers and all 30 front offices. I brought the same approach to injury analysis to Pro Football Prospectus in 2005 and 2006, making some NFL head coaches call me "their worst nightmare." I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on TV; I'm a reporter and analyst, focused on using contacts, databases, and information to help the fantasy player avoid the injuries that can ruin a season. Let's get to it:
The biggest injury on the football radar right now is the shoulder of Clinton Portis. Portis had a subluxation of his right shoulder, commonly called a 'partial dislocation.' The humeral head sits in the Carson Palmer. Where Culpepper has been confident, Palmer has been tentative. It's an interesting contrast.
For fantasy players, both are excellent risks. There's seldom an immediate recurrence of the injury, players come back in better condition due to their hard work in rehab, and once returned to function, a player on a reconstructed knee is at very little additional risk compared to any other player at his position and profile. Culpepper has looked great in camp according to most reports and appears ready for Week One. He'll throw a bit more, run a bit less, but doesn't appear to have made significant changes to his style. Palmer, on the other hand, is unlikely to be ready until Week 3 or 4. If he comes back sooner, it won't be a "rush job" as some will call it, but it raises a possibility that he won't be at level. Both players have some risk of pain and soreness costing them some time, but both play on grass through Week Three, a big plus. (Minnesota visits Houston in Week 4, a FieldTurf stadium.) If you can talk up the injury in pre-draft chatter, you might just steal two of the top ten fantasy QBs. Bumps and Bruises: Another ACL survivor is Deuce McAllister, who has Reggie Bush firmly in his rear view mirror. McAllister saw his first game action on Monday and looked good, not great. He lacked burst and didn't appear to be confident in his ability to move laterally. Recovered fully or not, McAllister is likely to lose some touches to Bush ... I'm growing more and more concerned about Steve Smith. The speedy receiver isn't making normal progress after a hamstring strain. Don't overdraft Smith; this injury puts him a few slots down on the WR charts and with all the depth out there, passing up Smith might be the best way to manage roster risk ... An interesting side effect of Ben Roethlisberger's crash was that he lost 15 pounds on his enforced diet. That's good for his knees, but doesn't help his thumb. Big Ben's thumb is rapidly becoming a chronic problem ... The outlook is bleak for Domanick Davis. His knees have a bone-on-bone situation after "minor" surgery last season, something that won't change any time soon. Remember, Texans fans - Reggie Bush has no knee problems. You might remember another Davis with similar problems - Terrell Davis. Last I saw him was in Madden 2006. ... The Cowboys have two big problems. One, Terrell Owens, has been covered elsewhere and his hamstring injury isn't worth typing about. The other, Mike Vanderjagt, had a recurrence of his groin strain while warming up Monday and is doubtful for Week 1.