10-28-06 college plays

Moving along at a nice pace now after that awful 0-8-1 start to the season. Current ledger is 11-12-1 (12-11-1 on the radio show), so a shot to finally get into the black on these early plays with a good week.

314 Virginia +2'
Game looks like a tossup on paper, but I think the circumstances favor Virginia. NC State could be a bit discouraged off yet another tough loss. The Wolfpack are now 3-4 off the back to back losses to Wake Forest and Maryland. They remain a possibility to get to a bowl game with a win here as they still have North Carolina and East Carolina to finish off the season. But I don't get the sense this team is thinking bowl right now. Neither is Virginia. The Cavs are only 3-5, but they're definitely improving. They let the Maryland game get away, but played without question their best game of the season in wiping out North Carolina. Beating the Tar Heels is not a major accomplishment, but the fact that it was a really solid performace is a positive. The running game has really come to life the last couple weeks, QB Jameel Sewell looks like a keeper and the defense will be very excited after pitching a shutout. NC State continues to give away freebies, with a pair of third quarter turnovers killing them against Maryland. I've been on the Cavaliers the last two weeks, and will play them again here as home dogs.

346 Western Michigan -14'
There is not a lot of parity in the MAC this year, as the class of the league is definitely separating itself from the rest of the outfit. Western Michigan is clearly among the best teams in the league, while Eastern Michigan remains mired at the bottom of the conference food chain. What I really like here is the Western Michigan defense, which is proving to be extremely tough. Running on the Broncos is proving almost impossible. In fact, if you throw out an aberrational effort at Ohio, you'll find that WMU has held the rest of their opponents to a meager 41 ypg on the ground, which is pretty incredible. Eastern Michigan finally won a game Saturday, so they get to celebrate something for a change. This is a pretty good rivalry that has produced several exciting games, but I see a substantial gap between the programs right now. There are also a couple of situational angles that come into play here favoring Western Michigan. I don't have a problem playing chalk that completely stuffs the opposition run, so I'm going with the Broncos here.

372 Houston -17
Hopefully, Art Briles has figured out that when his team runs the football, they're good. That has clearly been the case this season, and I'm going to assume Briles will gear his game plan the right way here as the Cougars play host to a team that cannot stop the run at all. Central Florida is on the skids right now. Their last three opponents have run for an average of 247 ypg and the defense is clearly wearing down having to spend so much time on the field. As for the Knights offense, it sure isn't much. They are very erratic at QB and have left a ton of points off the scoreboard this year as a result of a multitude of gaffes. The fact that Houston lost a tight game to UCF last season should assure the right mindset for this game and I think a discouraged UCF squad might be reaching the point where they begin to mail it in. The euphoria of a conference title run and a bowl game last year is now a distant memory. Off two home losses to Pittsburgh and Rice, this has the look of a spot where the struggling road team really gets blasted, so I'm going to go ahead and lay the steep price and hope Houston plays to their capabilities here.

champs

EOG Member
Re: 10-28-06 college plays

Thanks Dave.... Saw the W Michigan game jump to 16 shortly after you gave out play on the radio at the Greek.

tango papa

EOG Addicted

Agree with all of 'em Dave, but the Virginia play is my favorite. NCSt should only give points to its North Carolina cohorts. Is there a worse college football state than North Carolina? GL

Same plays, slight variation on the lines.
Virginia +2
WMU -14
Houston -17

Always variation on the lines because everyone jumps on those radio plays from SMOKIN DAVE COKIN! And when the Game of the Year comes out, look out!

:smoke SMOKINNNNNNNNNNNNNN DAVE COKINNNNNNN

BigDaddy

EOG Master

thanks dave :cheers

what was the game of the year? i missed it is it a radio play?

Dave Cokin..

ive been hearing about your radio show..
but, pardon my ignorance, ive never heard of it.

If you can, can you tell me what station and time I can hear you in
the Washington DC area.

Thanks..

PSUONE

EOG Veteran

Thanks Dave!

Your posts are greatly appreciated. Any chance of listing some leans outside the radio and ones listed and not count them toward your record?

Or....Can we get some feedback on certain games?

scottw

EOG Enthusiast

As I understand it, Dave's GOY was a heartbreaking loss with Kansas +2 vs. Texas A+M a few weeks back.

Dave Cokin..

ive been hearing about your radio show..
but, pardon my ignorance, ive never heard of it.

If you can, can you tell me what station and time I can hear you in
the Washington DC area.

Thanks..

The Sunday night show is streamed at americanwagering.com

The weekday show will be available online shortly (sometime in the next few weeks according the engineers, but I take that with a heap of salt) at espn920.com

Nothing over the air in DC, sorry, unless you have Sirius.

Thanks Dave!

Your posts are greatly appreciated. Any chance of listing some leans outside the radio and ones listed and not count them toward your record?

Or....Can we get some feedback on certain games?

I'd rather not list more than three plays but will be happy to offer feedback on other games as time permits.

TomBrady#1

EOG Dedicated

???
Looks to me like I caught a great number! Hope everyone else on this game did as well. I'm seeing it down to 1 and even Pk now.

I got 2.5 because I wait on Sunday nights like a German Shepard with his ears popped up. READY!

scottw

EOG Enthusiast

When Dave posted UVA +2 here, Pinny had UVA +2.5 -101, so you likely could have used the drop down and got +3 -115 or so.

TomBrady#1

EOG Dedicated

When Dave posted UVA +2 here, Pinny had UVA +2.5 -101, so you likely could have used the drop down and got +3 -115 or so.

Yep, I got +2.5 -104 so I could have bought it to 3 at around 115 or a little higher. I just left the 2.5 and went with it. Nice option though and personal decision. Thanks.

scottw

EOG Enthusiast

Yep, I could have had UVA +2.5 -101 at Pinny OR UVA +2 -110 at Olympic. I chose +2 -110 at Olympic. WHY YOU ASK?

Here's why. My last 18 units betting college football, I have played 12 of those units at OLY and 6 at Pinny. 12-0 at OLY. 0-6 at Pinny. And this is typical. All year long in college football, damn near everything I bet at Pinny loses and everything at OLY wins. So like Dave says, sometimes you just can't ignore the trends!

Dave should go 3-0 with his plays this week since I bet them all at Olympic. But he better be nice to me or I'll start betting his plays at Pinny which would guarantee an 0-3!

Fishing too

EOG Member

The Sunday night show is streamed at americanwagering.com

The weekday show will be available online shortly (sometime in the next few weeks according the engineers, but I take that with a heap of salt) at espn920.com

Nothing over the air in DC, sorry, unless you have Sirius.
Dave: I have listened to every Sunday night radio program from the Stardust in the Bay Area for at least the last 8+ years and miss you. I do have Sirus, but don't have a clue when and where you are. Thanks for your personality and wisdom over the years..for better or worse. :)

Dave: I have listened to every Sunday night radio program from the Stardust in the Bay Area for at least the last 8+ years and miss you. I do have Sirus, but don't have a clue when and where you are. Thanks for your personality and wisdom over the years..for better or worse. :)

Thanks, FT, appreciate the props.

The Sirius show airs Fridays at 8PM Eastern on 122, and repeats Saturday but I don't know what time.

panther

EOG Dedicated

ncst are up big for this game.have benn top 2 of this weeks pratices and feel they win this game by at least 14

just a heads up

good luck this weekend

panther

CHALKbreaker

EOG Dedicated

ncst are up big for this game.have benn top 2 of this weeks pratices and feel they win this game by at least 14

just a heads up

good luck this weekend

panther

I tend to agree panther.
I am one to weigh coaching trends pretty heavy in my handicapping, and here is one that really makes you give a hard look at NCST:

NC State is 14-3 ATS as an underdog away from home under coach Chuck Amato

Just something you can take for what it's worth, and consider in your analysis of that game. They ARE dogs, btw, at some shops now.

BOL

I tend to agree panther.
I am one to weigh coaching trends pretty heavy in my handicapping, and here is one that really makes you give a hard look at NCST:

NC State is 14-3 ATS as an underdog away from home under coach Chuck Amato

But they're 0-3 the last three, 0-2 this season (Maryland, So Miss) plus BC late last season.

That's the trouble with trend betting. Once you find a hot one, it's just as likely to go the other way unless you can pinpoint a reason that it's more than just a trend.

Not saying you won't get home with the Pack here, but I'll take my chances with the Cavs this time.

dirty

EOG Master

Good thread guys....

And welcome to EOG Fishing too :cheers

scottw

EOG Enthusiast

AMAZINGLY lucky win with Houston. I had given up hope since Houston had no answer for the pathetic UCF offense the first three quarters. Every time Houston scored, UCF would come right back down. I knew it would take a defensive score to get there, but wow, ripping the ball out and running down to the 3 yard line with a minute left, unreal. Glad as hell we weren't on the other side of that one. What a horrid beat for UCF backers, and there were many, as they took a LOT of money before gametime.

AMAZINGLY lucky win with Houston. I had given up hope since Houston had no answer for the pathetic UCF offense the first three quarters. Every time Houston scored, UCF would come right back down. I knew it would take a defensive score to get there, but wow, ripping the ball out and running down to the 3 yard line with a minute left, unreal. Glad as hell we weren't on the other side of that one. What a horrid beat for UCF backers, and there were many, as they took a LOT of money before gametime.

Tell me about it! Very nice to win back one of the early season bad beats. I'm still owed a couple.

scottw

EOG Enthusiast

Yep. The Texas comeback over Baylor and this one were fairly fortunate, but there were some tough ones early in the year. That Baylor spread loss to TCU week one still sticks with me.