Write up: Miami @ Georgia Tech

mofome

Banned
GT -6 vs. Miami

Both of these teams are coming off performances that they would like to forget. GT was blasted by Clemson on national television and Miami was taken to the final play by Duke; in football. Miami almost lost to duke in tackle football. That being said, each team still only has one conference loss and can reach a BCS game by winning the conference.

The Miami hurricanes have been an embarrassment most of the season and this is likely to cost their coach his job. The Canes don?t have that swagger typically associated with their program and don?t seem to believe in their coach; they seem to be going through the motions at time.

Georgia Tech started off the year by hanging with media darling, Notre Dame and have since had a huge victory at Virginia tech sandwiched in between conference wins over Maryland and Virginia.

In Miami?s 5 point victory at duke they were missing a number of players due to suspension, but they were still playing one of the worst programs in the country. The typically tough hurricane defense gave up 380 yards of offense to the blue devils and allowed them to average 5.4ypp. The Canes struggled with Jomar wright, I don?t know what they plan on doing with calvin Johnson. I would guess that they will shade kenny phillips to calvins side, but that may not be enough if GT actually goes to them as often as they should. The good news for the cane defense is that Ball isn?t a great passer and the GT passing attack only ranks 95<SUP>th</SUP> in the nation. Ball is only completing 51% of his passes and really only has two targets. Outside of the Johnson boys, no other wide out has over 56 yards receiving on the year which seems ridiculous. This gt passing attack could be aided bya rather poor Miami pass defense which sits at 55<SUP>th</SUP> in the country. That ranking is not only poor statistically, but its come vs. a schedule that?s includes Houston, Duke, UNC, Florida International, and Florida A&M. Upfront Miami is normally fast, dominant, and able to get to the passer as well as anyone in the country. That?s not the case this season as the Canes rank 53<SUP>rd</SUP> in the country in sacks and will have a tough time containing the very mobile Reggie ball. GT has only given up 8 sacks all year. Last week on national television Ball struggled mightily on the road and he should be eager to bounce back on ABC this week back home.

Georgia Tech has a tough RB in Tarshad choice who will be looking to add on to his 550 yards rushing to go along with his 4.7ypc average. The GT offense also likes to feature its QB in their rushing attack where ball has put up over 320 yards and averages over 4.0 yards every time he runs with the ball. Overall the GT rushing attack ranks 29<SUP>th</SUP> in the NCAA and, as a team, they put up over four and a half yards a carry. This week will be a huge test for that 29<SUP>th</SUP> ranked rushing offense when the canes come to town. The, seemingly, lone bright spot for Miami this year has been their ability to stop the run and their front 7 ranks 3<SUP>rd</SUP> in the country in stopping the run. Teams are only finding 62.9 yards a game on the ground and a very meager 2.29ypc. But while looking at those numbers we should probably keep in mind the relative weakness of the hurricanes schedule to this point. Should the miami defense be able to stop the run on first, GT struggles a lot when they?re put in long yardage situations. Without a great passing attack the Yellow Jackets will look to spread the field and run some drawls with Ball. Tech ranks a below average 64<SUP>th</SUP> thus far in 2006 in converting on 3<SUP>rd</SUP> downs while the canes are 33<SUP>rd</SUP> nationally in 3<SUP>rd</SUP> down conversion percentage defense. Along with special teams play, the ability or inability to gain yards on first down could go a long way in determining Techs fate in this game.

On offense the canes have been far from what they had hoped. When they were able to get, former #1 HS ranked QB, Kyle Wright on campus they had some big plans for their passing attack. Through 7 games Wright only has 7TDs to go with 4ints to go with a 7.0ypa average. On the season the Miami passing attack ranks 44<SUP>th</SUP> with 5 of their 7 games having been played vs. teams most figured the canes would blow out. This week the canes wont be facing a great passing defense; the jackets are 50<SUP>th</SUP> in the country vs. the pass. Their worst performance against the pass came in their trip to VT, but those yards came on 54 passing attempts. The only high profile QB that GT has faced was Brady Quinn and they did a fairly good job on him, at home in front of a packed house. When rushing the passer GT is decent. they have some speed on the D-line but they?ve only managed 16 sacks on the year averaging a bit over 2.2 per contest. Last year the Tech d found a way to get in the backfield and has 7 sacks vs. Miami, can they do that again this year? Miami knows the zone blitz will come early and often; the Jackets could have some success getting after Wright and the canes who rank 46<SUP>th</SUP> in protecting their passer. Wright has a great arm but he can struggle with his deep ball. The cane WR core has 2 players with over 20 catches and those two receivers (Leggett and Shields) have 5 of the 10 Miami TDs threw the air. A big decision looms this week as Coker will decide whether or not Ryan Moore will be able to see the field this weekend. Moore is reportedly in good shape and is a favorite target for Kyle Wright.

In its rushing game the Hurricanes have gotten a big lift from freshmen Javarris James. James is averaging 5.8ypc, but as a team Miami ranks only 74<SUP>th</SUP> in the country and produces 3.91ypc. The Miami O-line will be looking to give James room to run vs. the nations #32 rush defense who is giving up about 107ypg on the ground. Its hard to project what the Miami run game will do considering they havent played many tough games and were only able to post 30 rushing yards at Duke. A lot of blocking is physical and a lot is emotional, being willing to fight play in and play out and the canes have lacked heart at times this season and that will get them killed this weekend should they not play with an attitude. To make things worse, Miami ranks 86<SUP>th</SUP> in the country in converting on 3<SUP>rd</SUP> downs conversions.

While it doesn?t seem that either team could have a ton of confidence after last weeks games, emotion should be on the side of the home team this week in Atlanta. Last year the jackets held Miami to 10 points and they returned most of those starters. GT will have to find a way to get Calvin Johnson in the game after being blanked at Clemson. If they can just give Johnson some chances to make plays the offense should open up in the running game GT should be able to move the ball with some success. If Moore returns this week if gives the canes a huge target at wide out but they will have to protect Wright much better than they were able to a year ago. Miami has faced a lot of soft teams so far this season and they could be in for a rude awakening when they return to facing a team with very good speed who is hungry for their chance at an ACC title.

Lean to GT -6 (-101)
Pinny

Re: Write up: Miami @ Georgia Tech

No go for me. What if Miami beats the star reciever up? My lean would be Georgia Tech also since they should have been woken up by last weeks loss. Miami is just a bunch of thugs (sorry jojo) for no direction.

No go for me. What if Miami beats the star reciever up? My lean would be Georgia Tech also since they should have been woken up by last weeks loss. Miami is just a bunch of thugs (sorry jojo) for no direction.
RRRRRHHHHHHHHHHH...Did U know Miami`s star receiver is back this week Mopoorme??..We suspended him because he did not conduct himself to proper University standards..We try to keep good discipline here although most U rascals would disagree..Miami wins this game outright and the program turns towards the right direction..I would not keep bumping up this call all week long so Shrinkipoo can praise you..This is one write up you may not want him to see..WATCH OUT FOR THE U!!!..DIRTY`S BOYS GOIN DOWN!!!

Ryan Moore will be able to see the field this weekend........................

Damn you did know..Another good write up MoMO:houra

mofome

Banned

Ryan Moore will be able to see the field this weekend........................

Damn you did know..Another good write up MoMO:houra

:cheers

i follow foots a bit. Moore has 1rst round NFL draft talent.

i was looking for you durring the bases game. did ya hit up stl? had the rl and its not a party without jojo around

mofome

Banned

also, for jojo:

"If Moore returns this week if gives the canes a huge target at wide out but they will have to protect Wright much better than they were able to a year ago"

i follow foots a bit. Moore has 1rst round NFL draft talent.

i was looking for you durring the bases game. did ya hit up stl? had the rl and its not a party without jojo around

..Thanks...Took "Witchipoo" out to dinner..I lost tonight in MLB..My only bet--Tigers to hit a home run- $180-100..Damn right they didn`t come close..Now the Cards are favored about -178 @ most books to win series..Let`s see what happens..-Jojo:cheers

mofome

Banned

stinks, we were whooping A being on the same side recently

dirty

EOG Master

Ok Guys... here are my thoughts...

GT will win this game and put away the coastal division crown. Under Gailey after a Loss like last week they always bounce back and rarely have 2 back to back bad games against Tough competition. I can assure you they fixed Reggie Balls stubbornness of not wanting to throw the football to Calvin Johnson last Week. NO passes thrown to him in 3 quarters and 4 for the entire game...2 of those were behind him and uncatchable. There was at least a Half dozen plays in the first 3 quarters in big situations that CJ was open and ball just would not throw the Damn ball. That will not happen on "The Flats" this week. BAll had it in his Mind he wanted to run the ball or target James Johnson for some reason... ONce they found out the coule single cover CJ and shadow ball with a Linebacker or SS then that was the game. Tech had 11 yards from the end of the first quarter til the 3rd last week. I can assure you that will not happen again... People can say what they want about Gailey but he is as good a XXs and OOs coach as their is...getting his team Motivated is his only problem. But that shouldn't be a Problem this week with Homecoming and that ASS WHOOPIN' We took in Death Valley last week.

As for Miami... I honestly believe this team is LIke the one from last year... Lots of Talent and as long as you let them hang around they are fine... But they have no leadership and if they get down they start doubting each other and you can see it in their Motivation and Play. They are like that team every league has that has all the talent but no captain... The one that plays just above dead even but can beat anyone in the Nation... But if you come out of the gate and smack them in the Face they will cower down. People can say last weeks Debacle at Duke was because of the Suspensions all they want...but last week was indicative of the way the Canes have played for the better part of Last year (after the GT Loss) and this year the whole season. The FSU game was a game that was overhyped and based on Past Histories as it turns out neither school is top 20 Material. They are 2nd tier programs right now and that will not change until the leadership at the Top is changed. On Defense Miami still has the Talent and some swagger, I am basically talking about the offense... But the D has taken a step back some statistically, not points wise.

Looking at the stats this game should be near a Pick....with TEch being a 3 point fave for Home field advantage any way I look at it... I have crunched Numbers for 2 days now... On paper this game could go either way. If Ball plays like he did last week, the Canes will win... If he plays like he has the rest of the season Tech wins by 14.... Does that mean Tech has that much more Talent than the Canes...NO...that just means the 2 programs are headed in different Directions... The Canes want and need a change and Gailey seems to have worked out His tendancy to play down to the level of his competition so far. GT is still the 2nd most talented team in the ACC and the 2nd best with BC a close 3rd.... GT Plus the Points was the right play last week, as you cant predict how Ball was going to play...

With that being Said.... Miami just doesn't believe it is the Better team when it steps on the Field with talented teams anymore (LSU, GT last year and Louisvilleand FSU this year) And are playing bad...IE Houston and Duke....teams they would blow out no matter what up until midseason last year. This game has Take GT and lay the Wood all over it....But with Reggie Ball playing like he did last week we have to see how he rebounds....He has always been streaky with good and bad games....

Good Luck if you play it and IMO you are crazy if you do...NO PLAY for me